Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Shhhh! The man wants to give us all free money. He should be made president.

Hah! So in fact does the actual current president but as he's a fully paid up member of the red menace, i guess it doesnt count!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Given the context of the time and issue, what did you find objectionable to it?

I thought parts of it were trite and childish - like that line about superheroes, and there was another line that he robbed from someone else. I think it lacked passion, and was very surprised to hear that other people found it passionate. In all of his utterances there seems to be a kick for all private businesses that are continuing to trade, when people are just trying to get money to pay their rent - the man seems to think everybody just waits for the state to pay them money at the end of the week and whether they open the doors on a Monday morning is inconsequential. And the announcement in advance, where there was a big banner on the RTE page saying "COVID update at 9PM" had everybody I know thinking that he was about to shut down all businesses. So it was far from calming, it frightened every single metaphorical horse.

And I don't have a problem with anybody who thought it was great, but I have a problem with it being portrayed that EVERYBODY thought the speech was great. Because that is fake news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I thought parts of it were trite and childish - like that line about superheroes, and there was another line that he robbed from someone else. I think it lacked passion, and was very surprised to hear that other people found it passionate. In all of his utterances there seems to be a kick for all private businesses that are continuing to trade, when people are just trying to get money to pay their rent - the man seems to think everybody just waits for the state to pay them money at the end of the week and whether they open the doors on a Monday morning is inconsequential. And the announcement in advance, where there was a big banner on the RTE page saying "COVID update at 9PM" had everybody I know thinking that he was about to shut down all businesses. So it was far from calming, it frightened every single metaphorical horse.

And I don't have a problem with anybody who thought it was great, but I have a problem with it being portrayed that EVERYBODY thought the speech was great. Because that is fake news.

Good response have to agree there.Some good points.

Last paragraph...they were using a bit of poetic licence, speaking metaphorically ... a great deal of people thought great.. not everybody.

I would put it as good myself. Good.

I thought it was a bit ‘wooden’ too, that’s how he rocks, ain’t no MLK.

The stark facts needed to be presented and he did it.

I don’t get the kick on businesses you refer to or what exact point you are trying to make,apologies there, maybe expand a bit on that.

I thought it was a bit ‘wooden’ too, that’s how he rocks, ain’t no MLK.

If I could make the comparison with Coveney. Even if I don't agree with him, I certainly believe him and believe that he is doing what he thinks is for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I can't remember who it was that stepped in for Brendan a few weeks ago (Katie Hannon??) and I remember thinking she was much more suited to the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Ruby Ring

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I can't remember who it was that stepped in for Brendan a few weeks ago (Katie Hannon??) and I remember thinking she was much more suited to the show.

Was it Sarah McInerney?

If I could make the comparison with Coveney. Even if I don't agree with him, I certainly believe him and believe that he is doing what he thinks is for the best.

Eeee dude...... no clue what that’s all about bro.

Soz......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

She’s very good looking too.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

She’s very good looking too.

Always useful on a radio programme :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

WTF? They actually have people in the studio this morning?? (one in the studio in Limerick and the rest in Donnybrook??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

He seems to me to be subtly pushing an agenda of relax the restrictions. Dangerous talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

WTF? They actually have people in the studio this morning?? (one in the studio in Limerick and the rest in Donnybrook??)

Will we have a live on air breaking up of this little group of chatters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Brendan wasn't aware Abbott had a presence in Ireland? Over 3,000 employees across 9 sites. This from a journalist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

How many times has he had to apologise this morning? Car crash radio in parts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I havent listened to this show much recently. I find Sarah McInnerny to be a very angry woman, who seems to think most of the worlds problems are due to men, and whilst a used to be a huge fan of BOC on the Cutting Edge, i think he has completely lost his mojo on this show .
    The attitude this morning is unbelieveable. THEY dont think that, we, the little people actually need to know if there is a Covid hotspot in our area . How can that not be relevant ? how can it not be a help to know? I am not asking for the names of people , but this whole attitude of " you dont need to know, because we know whats best for you "
    In the same vein. when the subject of stopping the Italian rugby flights came up. At the time many many people called for these flights to be stopped, yet the Govt told us it couldnt be done, it would be against EU law. Now it appears its legally possible to stop all sorts of things in Europe, if you actualy want to. The guests on the show, all seem to be of the opinion that , the Govt did the right thing. I dont think they did, and i think most people also believe this.How can it be that we, an island, seem to be as bad or worse that continental countries . Seems ridiculous. How are we supposed to respect people who expect us to believe this drivel ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

That was fair enough apologising for only mentioning the male politicians, but the constant interruptions earlier was irritating and then the attempted justification that he was only asking the questions the common man wanted to ask. I wonder did someone have a word in his ear because he seemed to relax a bit towards the end of the covid discussion.

I think that when he began to question the current methodology in use and perhaps begin to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt, that the word needed to be put in his ear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ooter

who is the lunatic on the show talking about human rights trumping human lives and parking human rights?
    when asked what human rights he spluttered and blustered and couldn't answer the question, madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

That was a riotous 20 mins of radio there!
    John O'Keefe got the panel into nut house mode when he said human rights needed to put aside in the crisis. The Panel went into meltdown as did O'Connor.
    He even called them D4 academic spoofers at one stage who were out of touch with the rest of Ireland.

I enjoyed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

Caught the end of that and will listen back later. It was just the kind of stupid throwaway remark you'd expect normally but will get you lynched in the present climate

Ballsy much more ‘aggressive’ than Marian used to be.

Maybe it’s the studio set up due to C19 but he is still very ‘clunky’ with a lot of interruptions and ‘crashing the gears ‘ with guests.

I’d say there will be a bit of an ‘inquest’ about the ‘human rights’ dust up.

As a previous poster said, was reasonably innocuous in delivery but the lad was set upon fairly hard for this kind of a show.

Bit of a hard edge came into it quite quickly.

• Advertisement

That guy O'Keeffe made an utter fool of himself on the show. Came out with his blanket statement, then got challenged on it and immediately resorted to straw man D4 nonsense while pointedly refusing to answer a single question asked of him.

Again I'd ask, how did him travelling to rte studio constitute a necessary journey? Did any of 3 garda stopping him raise that?

He seems to me to be subtly pushing an agenda of relax the restrictions. Dangerous talk.

I think this example this morning was very demonstrative of what has happened to Brendan since taking up an RTE job. He used to be very outspoken and at least prepared to put up the other side of the argument in face of consensus, but he is doing so less and less because he keeps getting rebuked like this. He will soon reach the stage that he will just keep any contrary opinions to himself.

You can't expect to air your own opinions if they in anyway deviate from the "correct opinions", and expect to work for a radio or TV station in Ireland.

jay0109 wrote: »
    That was a riotous 20 mins of radio there!
    John O'Keefe got the panel into nut house mode when he said human rights needed to put aside in the crisis.

Hi Jay, was that before or after 12pm I might have a listen later on. Very unusual to hear a robust debate on the show.

I think this example this morning was very demonstrative of what has happened to Brendan since taking up an RTE job. He used to be very outspoken and at least prepared to put up the other side of the argument in face of consensus, but he is doing so less and less because he keeps getting rebuked like this. He will soon reach the stage that he will just keep any contrary opinions to himself.

You can't expect to air your own opinions if they in anyway deviate from the "correct opinions", and expect to work for a radio or TV station in Ireland.

You mean the RTE suite of stations, Gerry.

A certain lad who used to do a late night tv show on a commercial station seemed to give his opinions plenty of ‘air’.

Didn’t seem to bother him too much.

That guy O'Keeffe made an utter fool of himself on the show. Came out with his blanket statement, then got challenged on it and immediately resorted to straw man D4 nonsense while pointedly refusing to answer a single question asked of him.

Again I'd ask, how did him travelling to rte studio constitute a necessary journey? Did any of 3 garda stopping him raise that?
    I didn;t realise he was the editor of Garda review. That's quite shocking and he absolutely deserved what he got. I thought O'Connor handled it quite well really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

plodder wrote: »
    I didn;t realise he was the editor of Garda review. That's quite shocking and he absolutely deserved what he got. I thought O'Connor handled it quite well really.

The guy was or is involved in communications and if that's how he gets his ideas across it's no wonder he regularly comes a cropper, as this morning wasnt first time he made a fool of himself on air. I'm not a fan of the host, but he at least had the humility to apologise to Kate O'Connell after only mentioning all the leading male politicians in relation to the handling of the crisis, O'Keeffe when challenged merely doubled down on his waffling because his thin-skinned ego wouldnt allow him to do anything else.

The guy was or is involved in communications and if that's how he gets his ideas across it's no wonder he regularly comes a cropper, as this morning wasnt first time he made a fool of himself on air. I'm not a fan of the host, but he at least had the humility to apologise to Kate O'Connell after only mentioning all the leading male politicians in relation to the handling of the crisis, O'Keeffe when challenged merely doubled down on his waffling because his thin-skinned ego wouldnt allow him to do anything else.
    It's very odd. Everything he said up to that point was interesting and considered. So, he comes out with this clanger then, and doesn't know how to back out of it, or he meant it, but what did he really mean? We're none the wiser at the end of it.

Hi Jay, was that before or after 12pm I might have a listen later on. Very unusual to hear a robust debate on the show.

just after 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Meh.

It's hardly a hanging offence, sometimes people need protecting from themselves.

It's very odd. Everything he said up to that point was interesting and considered. So, he comes out with this clanger then, and doesn't know how to back out of it, or he meant it, but what did he really mean? We're none the wiser at the end of it.

I think what he was trying to say stemmed from the 230 prisoners getting out early. There was concern about prisoners getting CV19 in prison so a large amount were let out.
    Some of them are now causing problems for the Gardai in the North Inner city and thereby putting Gardai at risk. And probably members of the public in that area.

Their human rights took precedence over the human rights of the genera populace. And I took him to mean that should not be the case.

jay0109 wrote: »
    I think what he was trying to say stemmed from the 230 prisoners getting out early. There was concern about prisoners getting CV19 in prison so a large amount were let out.
    Some of them are now causing problems for the Gardai in the North Inner city and thereby putting Gardai at risk. And probably members of the public in that area.

Their human rights took precedence over the human rights of the genera populace. And I took him to mean that should not be the case.

If thats what he meant, and I'm not necessarily disputing it, then it doesnt make much sense. He went on to say saving lives trumped human rights and thats what mattered. So if we assume the decision to release prisoners was taken on health grounds, as in the prison system couldnt cope in the present circumstances, then by his logic it was absolutely the right thing to do. Inconvenience to local population should be secondary. Basically, he was contradicting himself and unable to clarify his position despite numerous opportunities.

I think, and again this is my interpretation, was that the human rights of those in prions should be suspended for the greater good.
    The local law abiding population should come first.

But I could be giving him way too much credit

If that's the case, he would basically be saying, fck the health and safety of our prisons (and by extension, those who work in them as well). If the virus was to sweep through our overcrowded prisons, as officials feared, and claim a large number of lives, then too bad. But at least our regular law abiding citizens could sleep a tiny bit safer in their beds.

Whether he meant that, I'm doubtful, but that would seem the logic of the position to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

listen again if you want to analyse it

• Advertisement

Thanks, I've analysed it as much as i care to. I'm not clear as to what point he was making, or his logic behind it, but that could very easily be because I'm too thick to get it.

Personally I think people are making way too much of it .

What I took out of what he said was more general, I and not really specific to the prisoner issue.

What he meant to convey, in my opinion, was that we should,in the current serious pandemic, be prepared to accept a little bit inconvenience, such as being stopped and queried about our journey for example, without getting all legal and pompous about it, and getting aggressive with the Garda involved.

Kinsella,in my opinion, jumped in like a bazooka as if the man had suggested that martial law should declared and a dictatorship set up with draconian penalties and laws to follow!

All the guy seemed to me to be suggesting was let’s make it as easy as we can for those fighting this pandemic to fight it and keep us all as safe as they can.

That’s what I take out of it anyway.

I'd agree with that mostly. Its no biggie at all. The other guy did jump in a bit lively so the original point never got developed and hard to say in what way it related to how it subsequently panned out. For me anyway.

I'd agree with that mostly. Its no biggie at all. The other guy did jump in a bit lively so the original point never got developed and hard to say in what way it related to how it subsequently panned out. For me anyway.

Agreed... Garda Review lad (who had a wee bit of a hectoring tone to his voice I felt, even before the ‘jump in) never had a chance really to develop his first point.

The whole thing spooled up to max power way too quickly, and to be honest didn’t reflect too well on both protagonists.

Bit of common sense wouldn’t have gone amiss.

Agreed... Garda Review lad (who had a wee bit of a hectoring tone to his voice I felt, even before the ‘jump in) never had a chance really to develop his first point.

The whole thing spooled up to max power way too quickly, and to be honest didn’t reflect too well on both protagonists.

Bit of common sense wouldn’t have gone amiss.

Yeah, true that. There may well be a discussion to be had on prison releases but that wasnt it. Somehow i can see it resurfacing before too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Everything he said up to that point was interesting and considered.
    Don't agree. I thought he came across like a tool even before Stephen Kinsella jumped in.

serfboard wrote: »
    Don't agree. I thought he came across like a tool even before Stephen Kinsella jumped in.

Yes he came across a bit hectoring,but in my opinion Kinsella lashed in way too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ooter

he was given a chance to develop his point and state exactly what rights he was talking about and couldn't answer.

ooter wrote: »
    he was given a chance to develop his point and state exactly what rights he was talking about and couldn't answer.

He was shouted down by Kinsella and others, as he tried to develope his point.

The whole issue was badly handled by both protagonists.

Neither came out of it well.

People should have some manners and sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Stephen Kinsella couldn't wait to take the moral high ground and basically concoct a ****storm...hoping to make himself look good...what an utter phoney

southstar wrote: »
    Stephen Kinsella couldn't wait to take the moral high ground and basically concoct a ****storm...hoping to make himself look good...what an utter phoney

Good lad, saying it as it was.

Glad someone had the clunkers to say it.

He was shouted down by Kinsella and others, as he tried to develope his point.

The whole issue was badly handled by both protagonists.

Neither came out of it well.

People should have some manners and sense.
    He wasn't shouted down. He had plenty of opportunity to clear up what he meant. For someone so close to law enforcement to say that "human rights should be parked" in the present climate, it's no wonder someone jumped on it. The other panelists were equally mystified, if they weren't as forceful as Kinsella was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

He wasn't shouted down. He had plenty of opportunity to clear up what he meant. For someone so close to law enforcement to say that "human rights should be parked" in the present climate, it's no wonder someone jumped on it. The other panelists were equally mystified, if they weren't as forceful as Kinsella was.

But certain human rights have been 'parked' that is self-evident. As a society we realise that some of these measures are required, in what is an extraordinary situation, and for the most part we accept some curtailment of certain human rights are necessary and temporary.
    If some of the panelists were trying to suggest that there is another agenda at play and that somehow Varadkar et all are using this pandemic as a trojan horse; to impose more permanent curtailment of human rights, then they should say so and explain how they arrived at that belief. I think that is ridiculous but if they suggest it then they should be able to provide the reasoning. Why bring it up in the first place then? Unless they were trying to add their own bit of drama for the sake of it. Which I reckon is more likely to be the case. I think O'Keefe was trying to make that point.
    Brendan O'Connor did not handle it very well at all and took a 'side'.
    Apart from that, it is refreshing that there was at least some disagreement on the panel. This is such a rarity, it almost never happens. Which tells you something about the level of 'debate' tolerated by our national broadcaster.

But certain human rights have been 'parked' that is self-evident. As a society we realise that some of these measures are required in what is an extraordinary situation, and for the most part we accept some curtailment of certain human rights are necessary and temporary.
    I'd say certain "civil liberties" have been curtailed. It's only terminology, but "human rights" makes it sound much more dramatic. Regardless, hardly anyone has a problem with it. I certainly don't. But, to say human rights should be parked is speculating wildly about what is to come. Someone above mentioned the prisoner release and maybe that's what it's about. He also referred to the 300 trainee gardai being on the streets. Maybe he meant we should have a tolerance perhaps that these trainees might make mistakes. Who knows? He never explained what he meant? It's also possible he didn't really know himself.
    If some of the panelists were trying to suggest that there is another agenda at play and that somehow Varadkar et all are using this pandemic as a trojan horse to impose more permanent curtailment of human rights, then they should say so and explain how they arrived at that belief. I think that is ridiculous but if they suggest it then they should be able to provide the reasoning. Why bring it up in the first place then? Unless they were trying to add their own bit of drama for the sake of it. Which I reckon is more likely to be the case.
    I don't think anyone suggested anything like the above. Did you listen to it?

But certain human rights have been 'parked' that is self-evident. As a society we realise that some of these measures are required, in what is an extraordinary situation, and for the most part we accept some curtailment of certain human rights are necessary and temporary.
    If some of the panelists were trying to suggest that there is another agenda at play and that somehow Varadkar et all are using this pandemic as a trojan horse; to impose more permanent curtailment of human rights, then they should say so and explain how they arrived at that belief. I think that is ridiculous but if they suggest it then they should be able to provide the reasoning. Why bring it up in the first place then? Unless they were trying to add their own bit of drama for the sake of it. Which I reckon is more likely to be the case. I think O'Keefe was trying to make that point.
    Brendan O'Connor did not handle it very well at all and took a 'side'.
    Apart from that, it is refreshing that there was at least some disagreement on the panel. This is such a rarity, it almost never happens. Which tells you something about the level of 'debate' tolerated by our national broadcaster.

I had another listen, and came to the conclusion that is was much ado about nothing.

O’Keefe was a tad loose in his language but as I heard it, was not implying that human rights should be discarded.

Kinsella jumped in like someone who heard a statement like ‘All people under 5’ 5” should be quarantined for life’ then didn’t even mention O’Regans name,and came up with the pompous “Defend your position Sir”

Cue 15 minutes of puffed up rhetoric talking about something that wasn’t said and Ballsy ending with a dark promise of ‘human rights’ popping up in programmes and discussions in the coming weeks.

Was like 15 mins in a hen house after a load of eggs been laid.

Everybody satisfied. !

• Advertisement
Advertisement