Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Shhhh! The man wants to give us all free money. He should be made president.

Hah! So in fact does the actual current president but as he's a fully paid up member of the red menace, i guess it doesnt count!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Given the context of the time and issue, what did you find objectionable to it?

I thought parts of it were trite and childish - like that line about superheroes, and there was another line that he robbed from someone else. I think it lacked passion, and was very surprised to hear that other people found it passionate. In all of his utterances there seems to be a kick for all private businesses that are continuing to trade, when people are just trying to get money to pay their rent - the man seems to think everybody just waits for the state to pay them money at the end of the week and whether they open the doors on a Monday morning is inconsequential. And the announcement in advance, where there was a big banner on the RTE page saying "COVID update at 9PM" had everybody I know thinking that he was about to shut down all businesses. So it was far from calming, it frightened every single metaphorical horse.

And I don't have a problem with anybody who thought it was great, but I have a problem with it being portrayed that EVERYBODY thought the speech was great. Because that is fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I thought parts of it were trite and childish - like that line about superheroes, and there was another line that he robbed from someone else. I think it lacked passion, and was very surprised to hear that other people found it passionate. In all of his utterances there seems to be a kick for all private businesses that are continuing to trade, when people are just trying to get money to pay their rent - the man seems to think everybody just waits for the state to pay them money at the end of the week and whether they open the doors on a Monday morning is inconsequential. And the announcement in advance, where there was a big banner on the RTE page saying "COVID update at 9PM" had everybody I know thinking that he was about to shut down all businesses. So it was far from calming, it frightened every single metaphorical horse.

And I don't have a problem with anybody who thought it was great, but I have a problem with it being portrayed that EVERYBODY thought the speech was great. Because that is fake news.

Good response have to agree there.Some good points.

Last paragraph...they were using a bit of poetic licence, speaking metaphorically ... a great deal of people thought great.. not everybody.

I would put it as good myself. Good.

I thought it was a bit ‘wooden’ too, that’s how he rocks, ain’t no MLK.

The stark facts needed to be presented and he did it.

I don’t get the kick on businesses you refer to or what exact point you are trying to make,apologies there, maybe expand a bit on that.

I thought it was a bit ‘wooden’ too, that’s how he rocks, ain’t no MLK.

If I could make the comparison with Coveney. Even if I don't agree with him, I certainly believe him and believe that he is doing what he thinks is for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I can't remember who it was that stepped in for Brendan a few weeks ago (Katie Hannon??) and I remember thinking she was much more suited to the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Ruby Ring

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I can't remember who it was that stepped in for Brendan a few weeks ago (Katie Hannon??) and I remember thinking she was much more suited to the show.

Was it Sarah McInerney?

If I could make the comparison with Coveney. Even if I don't agree with him, I certainly believe him and believe that he is doing what he thinks is for the best.

Eeee dude...... no clue what that’s all about bro.

Soz......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

She’s very good looking too.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

She’s very good looking too.

Always useful on a radio programme :D

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

WTF? They actually have people in the studio this morning?? (one in the studio in Limerick and the rest in Donnybrook??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

He seems to me to be subtly pushing an agenda of relax the restrictions. Dangerous talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

WTF? They actually have people in the studio this morning?? (one in the studio in Limerick and the rest in Donnybrook??)

Will we have a live on air breaking up of this little group of chatters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Brendan wasn't aware Abbott had a presence in Ireland? Over 3,000 employees across 9 sites. This from a journalist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

How many times has he had to apologise this morning? Car crash radio in parts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I havent listened to this show much recently. I find Sarah McInnerny to be a very angry woman, who seems to think most of the worlds problems are due to men, and whilst a used to be a huge fan of BOC on the Cutting Edge, i think he has completely lost his mojo on this show .
    The attitude this morning is unbelieveable. THEY dont think that, we, the little people actually need to know if there is a Covid hotspot in our area . How can that not be relevant ? how can it not be a help to know? I am not asking for the names of people , but this whole attitude of " you dont need to know, because we know whats best for you "
    In the same vein. when the subject of stopping the Italian rugby flights came up. At the time many many people called for these flights to be stopped, yet the Govt told us it couldnt be done, it would be against EU law. Now it appears its legally possible to stop all sorts of things in Europe, if you actualy want to. The guests on the show, all seem to be of the opinion that , the Govt did the right thing. I dont think they did, and i think most people also believe this.How can it be that we, an island, seem to be as bad or worse that continental countries . Seems ridiculous. How are we supposed to respect people who expect us to believe this drivel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

That was fair enough apologising for only mentioning the male politicians, but the constant interruptions earlier was irritating and then the attempted justification that he was only asking the questions the common man wanted to ask. I wonder did someone have a word in his ear because he seemed to relax a bit towards the end of the covid discussion.

I think that when he began to question the current methodology in use and perhaps begin to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt, that the word needed to be put in his ear!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭ooter

who is the lunatic on the show talking about human rights trumping human lives and parking human rights?
    when asked what human rights he spluttered and blustered and couldn't answer the question, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

That was a riotous 20 mins of radio there!
    John O'Keefe got the panel into nut house mode when he said human rights needed to put aside in the crisis. The Panel went into meltdown as did O'Connor.
    He even called them D4 academic spoofers at one stage who were out of touch with the rest of Ireland.

I enjoyed that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

Caught the end of that and will listen back later. It was just the kind of stupid throwaway remark you'd expect normally but will get you lynched in the present climate

Ballsy much more ‘aggressive’ than Marian used to be.

Maybe it’s the studio set up due to C19 but he is still very ‘clunky’ with a lot of interruptions and ‘crashing the gears ‘ with guests.

I’d say there will be a bit of an ‘inquest’ about the ‘human rights’ dust up.

As a previous poster said, was reasonably innocuous in delivery but the lad was set upon fairly hard for this kind of a show.

Bit of a hard edge came into it quite quickly.

• Advertisement

That guy O'Keeffe made an utter fool of himself on the show. Came out with his blanket statement, then got challenged on it and immediately resorted to straw man D4 nonsense while pointedly refusing to answer a single question asked of him.

Again I'd ask, how did him travelling to rte studio constitute a necessary journey? Did any of 3 garda stopping him raise that?

He seems to me to be subtly pushing an agenda of relax the restrictions. Dangerous talk.

I think this example this morning was very demonstrative of what has happened to Brendan since taking up an RTE job. He used to be very outspoken and at least prepared to put up the other side of the argument in face of consensus, but he is doing so less and less because he keeps getting rebuked like this. He will soon reach the stage that he will just keep any contrary opinions to himself.

You can't expect to air your own opinions if they in anyway deviate from the "correct opinions", and expect to work for a radio or TV station in Ireland.

jay0109 wrote: »
    That was a riotous 20 mins of radio there!
    John O'Keefe got the panel into nut house mode when he said human rights needed to put aside in the crisis.

Hi Jay, was that before or after 12pm I might have a listen later on. Very unusual to hear a robust debate on the show.

I think this example this morning was very demonstrative of what has happened to Brendan since taking up an RTE job. He used to be very outspoken and at least prepared to put up the other side of the argument in face of consensus, but he is doing so less and less because he keeps getting rebuked like this. He will soon reach the stage that he will just keep any contrary opinions to himself.

You can't expect to air your own opinions if they in anyway deviate from the "correct opinions", and expect to work for a radio or TV station in Ireland.

You mean the RTE suite of stations, Gerry.

A certain lad who used to do a late night tv show on a commercial station seemed to give his opinions plenty of ‘air’.

Didn’t seem to bother him too much.

That guy O'Keeffe made an utter fool of himself on the show. Came out with his blanket statement, then got challenged on it and immediately resorted to straw man D4 nonsense while pointedly refusing to answer a single question asked of him.

Again I'd ask, how did him travelling to rte studio constitute a necessary journey? Did any of 3 garda stopping him raise that?
    I didn;t realise he was the editor of Garda review. That's quite shocking and he absolutely deserved what he got. I thought O'Connor handled it quite well really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

plodder wrote: »
    I didn;t realise he was the editor of Garda review. That's quite shocking and he absolutely deserved what he got. I thought O'Connor handled it quite well really.

The guy was or is involved in communications and if that's how he gets his ideas across it's no wonder he regularly comes a cropper, as this morning wasnt first time he made a fool of himself on air. I'm not a fan of the host, but he at least had the humility to apologise to Kate O'Connell after only mentioning all the leading male politicians in relation to the handling of the crisis, O'Keeffe when challenged merely doubled down on his waffling because his thin-skinned ego wouldnt allow him to do anything else.

The guy was or is involved in communications and if that's how he gets his ideas across it's no wonder he regularly comes a cropper, as this morning wasnt first time he made a fool of himself on air. I'm not a fan of the host, but he at least had the humility to apologise to Kate O'Connell after only mentioning all the leading male politicians in relation to the handling of the crisis, O'Keeffe when challenged merely doubled down on his waffling because his thin-skinned ego wouldnt allow him to do anything else.
    It's very odd. Everything he said up to that point was interesting and considered. So, he comes out with this clanger then, and doesn't know how to back out of it, or he meant it, but what did he really mean? We're none the wiser at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Hi Jay, was that before or after 12pm I might have a listen later on. Very unusual to hear a robust debate on the show.

just after 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Meh.

It's hardly a hanging offence, sometimes people need protecting from themselves.

Advertisement