Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible car crash was God's plan

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Why would the barrister give a fúck? Barrister is going to get paid anyway off of the legal aid so it is all the same to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

seamus wrote: »

The comment above about "yellow regs" is another example of this. They're blaming northern irish drivers for poor driving, when in fact it's very common for Donegal people to buy and drive yellow regs in order to get around paying VRT and road tax. They also believe they're immune to being stopped by the Gardai because of the yellow reg.

No, it's really not that common. You get the odd person who doesn't clear their car, but for the most part, it is northern drivers behind the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well it was Gods plan.

Gods plan was to show this absolute toe rag of a human being that getting into a car drunk that you've already been disqualified from driving with a load of other people and killing them is just about the worst possible thing you can do and maybe a healthy stretch in the clink and a lifetime to think about what you've done might give you some ****ing concept of personal responsibility.

I'd say what wasnt part of gods plan is that he would get off with such a lenient sentence and that he would blame it all on God

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

paw patrol wrote: »
    you should read the story, the victims forgave him.

So he deserves 30years? Sure why not hang him at the end of the 30.....just to be sure.:rolleyes:

he probably got a lighter sentence cos the other victims forgave him - their view rightly has more sway than you the judge dread of boards.

Did any of the dead victims forgive him?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Why would the barrister give a fúck? Barrister is going to get paid anyway off of the legal aid so it is all the same to them.

Just for future clients. I mean he's obviously not centre stage in the whole fiasco but if I googled his name and saw he read out that kind of a statement I would be fairly likely to consider someone else's services over his. I know they're not his words though. Maybe he did advise his client that they don't make sense and the client didn't listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

No, it's really not that common. You get the odd person who doesn't clear their car, but for the most part, it is northern drivers behind the wheel.

There is an 'Abolish VRT' Facebook page that seems to be almost exclusively Donegal residents, with lots posts on avoiding customs checkpoints in the county - this suggests to me that there are more than a few in Donegal driving UK-registered vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

He drank, he drove 5 others in that tiny car without insurance, and without a licence (previously disqualified).

I would not say it was a tiny car. A tiny car would be the 106 that was a 306 so while not a big car it was not tiny either. It was medium sized for it's time. Very sad what happened them young people and I agree the driver should have got at least 20 years prison for this. Is 2.5 years all a person's life is worth these days?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

2 lives have been taken away. What good will it do to take away a substantial portion of another life with a 20 year sentence. It would be excessive and such comments are made in the basis of emotion and not being rational.
    Should also remember that such a sentence would be an indirect punishment of the child by imprisoning the father when he isn't likely to be a danger to the public.

If it was a girl driving and she was now pregnant, there would be no custodial prison sentence. Maybe a few weeks in the dochas centre.
    The reason is that the state is petrified of people coming forward in the future suing the minister for justice for damages arising out of harm they experienced as a result of the state imprisoning their morning while knowing full well that taking a mother away from a child was likely to have a significant negative effect on a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,320 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

storker wrote: »
    Judges need to start handing down lifetime driving bans for killing people through dangerous/drunk driving.

And longer prison sentences

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I'm surprised he didn't use the prominent in the GAA defense, he used every other excuse

• Advertisement

Family well respected in the community.
    Maybe a character reference from the local priest

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm surprised he didn't use the prominent in the GAA defense, he used every other excuse

Or perhaps his lap time from the local go-cart track.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

2 lives have been taken away. What good will it do to take away a substantial portion of another life with a 20 year sentence. It would be excessive and such comments are made in the basis of emotion and not being rational.
    Should also remember that such a sentence would be an indirect punishment of the child by imprisoning the father when he isn't likely to be a danger to the public.
    How do you know he is not a danger to the public. He got into a car once when he was disqualified and drove it what is to stop him doing it again and maybe next time he could end up killing someone related to you are me and believe me if that was the case I would expect he or she serve at least 20 years in prison so when they get out transport will have changed so much they would have to go relearn it all.

He ruined his life when he killed them two people. What about there familys and there lifes that they will now never have. If someone does this then thought **** they should serve a long sentence and they would have plenty of time to think about what they done and how the wrected not only there own lives but other familys lifes too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some of them clearly don't have a single brain cell nevermind two to rub together.

I get it but sure doesn't he now have to live with the consequences for the rest of his life. Realistically how is imprisoning him for 20 years going to benefit the rest of society. Taking away another life through imprisonment is only ruining another life and breaking another family.

In my opinion long term imprisonment is for people who are violently dangerous and have a high risk of reoffending. People who cause accidents through gross negligence and recklessness like this should get a year in prison and then be suspended and allowed to get on with life subject to certain conditions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I get it but sure doesn't he now have to live with the consequences for the rest of his life.
    ask the woman with permanent life changing injuries if she thinks he's 'living with the consequences' the same way she is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

People who cause accidents through gross negligence and recklessness
    he managed to hit 75mph in what looks like a reasonably built up area. your use of the word 'accident' is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

seamus wrote: »
    It's a mixture of a load of things. Culturally, Donegal has a "wild west" feel to it. They're geographically and politically isolated, and it's a small county. So decades of being ignored by government has led to a sort of self-governance in Donegal.

The Gardai are still in authority, but they're also isolated from the mothership, so frequently do things their own way.

So corruption is quite widespread, and being a cute hoor is practically a local sport. Thus, "minor" laws like having a driving licence or insurance are not seen as important, drink-driving is grand just don't get caught.

There is also a rally culture that feeds into this. Hundreds of people gather a load of old bangers, pick a big field and race them in public. I don't think it's illegal, and isn't an awful sport, but it creates a cowboy culture in general when it comes to driving - the rallying doesn't stay at the races, and cars are toys to young people.

The comment above about "yellow regs" is another example of this. They're blaming northern irish drivers for poor driving, when in fact it's very common for Donegal people to buy and drive yellow regs in order to get around paying VRT and road tax. They also believe they're immune to being stopped by the Gardai because of the yellow reg.

Donegal is hardly a small county!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

jt69er wrote: »
    Donegal is hardly a small county!

It was already clarified. They meant lowest density. Population per square km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Jesus, but that's a sh|tty take...
    Perhaps if a few earlier offenders had received stiff sentences for killing people while driving twisted drunk, this nihilistic moron might have thought twice before he did it.
    Should also remember that such a sentence would be an indirect punishment of the child

Using the same logic, judges should give soft sentences to rapists or murderers if they happen to have three or four kids.
    ... by imprisoning the father when he isn't likely to be a danger to the public.

He's a repeat offender who killed two, and maimed another - precisely how many lives does he need to ruin for you to consider him a 'danger to the public'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Iteration1

I would think its a "sh|tty take..." to decide that the life of a moron, no matter how much of a moron, is only good to be used as a lesson for others. The sentence dictated should at least take into account the possible reform of the person being punished.

It was a tragic accident, caused by somebody who appears to be stupid and callous. He should be and was, sentenced for the stupid decision to drive that car, on that night, not because he decided to set out to kill 2 people and maim another.
    The fact that he's a repeat offender makes him worse, so maybe the sentence is a bit light, but not to the extent that some, pitchfork bearing infallible posters, are calling for in some of the posts here.

5 people made the stupid mistake of getting in the car on that night, they've all suffered consequences to different extents, some paid the ultimate price. I find it difficult to understand how people here seem to be more bitter about what happened than the poor girl left in a wheelchair. I would think her statement went a long way towards the final decision.

To get back to the original OP, the reference to "God's plan" grates me too. No idea whether that was his stupid naïve callous attempt to draw sympathy, or advice from legal aid/family to play to that audience. Regardless it was in bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What good would it do? Punishment, and deterrence. I know neither of those concepts are fashionable right now but they are needed.

Rather convenient that he knocked up his partner while awaiting trial, too.

And yes he is a danger to the public, he killed two people, he was already disqualified and he didn't get that for doing 55 in a 50.

The public deserve to be protected from that sort of sociopath and he's already shown that a driving ban means nothing to him. The only way to keep him off the road for certain is to lock him up for a long time.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement