Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible car crash was God's plan

Options
  • 21-04-2021 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

I'd have more compassion for this lad if he showed an ounce of responsibility.

He drank, he drove 5 others in that tiny car without insurance, and without a licence (previously disqualified).

He sped through winding streets at 3am, crashed, killed 2 of them, fled the scene, and then, to top it off, in his statement of apology, his barrister read:
    RTE wrote:
    He said he asked himself every day why this was part of God's plan

God's plan? Really?

That really annoyed me for some reason.

Awful story. The poor families, including his own.

Comments

Very sad story. I've no sympathy for him for all the reasons you've stated. Poor victims and their families though. Should be much longer stentence given the aggregating circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Overloaded cars have become a major concern in the fight against road deaths, it was claimed on Monday.
    And one of the most worrying trends is people cramming into cars late at night to get home.
    Four people were thrown from the Peugeot 306 car which struck a wall and then a lamp post at 3.25am.

Shiva Devine, 20, and Conall McAleer, who was also in his 20s – died instantly while two others are fighting for their lives.

So far this year eight people have lost their lives on Co Donegal’s roads, compared to six for all of last year.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/bundoran-donegal-fatal-crash-deaths-13113811

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

TP_CM wrote: »

He drank, he drove 5 others in that tiny car without insurance, and without a licence (previously disqualified).

He sped through winding streets at 3am, crashed, killed 2 of them, fled the scene, and then, to top it off, in his statement of apology, his barrister read:

God's plan? Really?

God's an awful bollix at 3am on a Saturday night after a few pints....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's one thing I never do is overload the car. Think the sentence was a bit light considering the damage and loss caused. And yeah, "Gods plan". Technically he's right, if one is to believe in that craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,040 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fairly light sentence? I am guessing he will be out in half that

God's plan? Really?

Awful stuff.
    Fled the scene is just the icing on the cake.

I know they were young but what were they thinking piling into the car with him?

• Advertisement

I couldn't believe when I found out it happened in Donegal.
    Same nonsense in my own border region, nothing will change while scum are "forgiven" no matter the outcomes.

Absolutely no sense of personal responsibility. It's a dreadful trait in a person I think. And to leave the scene afterwards :( Cowardly.

Theres a serious problem around driver culture in that county, theres no doubt about it unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Judges need to start handing down lifetime driving bans for killing people through dangerous/drunk driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

God's plan? Really?

Not a good plan in anyone’s book

Of which, one should be thrown. Bring the hammer down hard on the cùnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

storker wrote: »
    Judges need to start handing down lifetime driving bans for killing people through dangerous/drunk driving.

And mandatory 15-year jail sentences. Per person killed.

5 years in this case is a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Was he already banned from driving?

Penny just doesn't go in the slot. Graveyards are full of people who have encountered "great drivers" like this waste of space. I remember a case of chicken in a border county from 10 odd years ago. More than one person killed then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Would that make you feel better?

Because the victims families were far more forgiving. Not sure why you would be more upset than they would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Because the victims families were far more forgiving. Not sure why you would be more upset than they would be.

It sends a message to wider society that this type of **** will not be tolerated.
    Maybe even save some young lives.

YEP....make me feel a LOT BETTER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Very sad story. I've no sympathy for him for all the reasons you've stated. Poor victims and their families though. Should be much longer stentence given the aggregating circumstances.

you should read the story, the victims forgave him.

So he deserves 30years? Sure why not hang him at the end of the 30.....just to be sure.:rolleyes:

he probably got a lighter sentence cos the other victims forgave him - their view rightly has more sway than you the judge dread of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The bit about gods plan is actually kind of funny

Personal responsibility...yes...but that also partially lies with the people who get into a car with a drunk driver. Not saying it’s their own fault but potentially indicates that it’s common practice in the area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what the victim's families think should be immaterial to the verdict. he should be punished based on what he did; no insurance, no licence, disqualified, and drunk. it's like he was removing every possibility for mitigation of culpability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

anyone who wasn't black out drunk lifted into the back of the car by someone else also made a terrible decision to get into that car.

and that's not taking anything away from the actions of the driver. But it's like putting your mouth over the barrel of a shotgun and someone else pulling the trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

He'll be out in less than 36 months. Awful stench of "boys will be boys" in that sentence.

If he was disqualified it's not like it's his first run-in with the law either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, i just read, he hit 75mph before crashing. it's almost like he set out to kill someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I do think the sentence should have been more and I've every sympathy for the families of those involved but getting into a car with a drunk disqualified driver is a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

...he should be punished based on what he did; no insurance, no licence, disqualified, and drunk. it's like he was removing every possibility for mitigation of culpability.

And fled the scene, leaving his friends injured & dying on the road. Hid out and rang his father who had the cop on to bring him back to the scene. Should be longer than a 5 year sentence.

they do say if you want to kill someone and get away with it, do it with a car. he killed two people and left a third with lifelong injuries, through repeated and wilful actions.

if you did that with a weapon, you wouldn't be looking at five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

God's plan? Really?
    It wasn't a direct quote if you read the article. I'd want to see the direct quote before having a view on it, as well as the context he said it in.

An awful tragedy anyway, for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

without clicking the article Donegal came straight to mind. when you hear of the worst type of crashes its nearly always Donegal.

eleventh wrote: »
    It wasn't a direct quote if you read the article. I'd want to see the direct quote before having a view on it, as well as the context he said it in
    it was from a prepared statement read out by his legal team.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Was that shoddy attempt at a legal defense God’s plan too or just the idiot barrister’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Overheal wrote: »
    Was that shoddy attempt at a legal defense God’s plan too or just the idiot barrister’s?

There was no defence as such. He plead guilty. It was an attempt at an apology. A pretty poor one mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

It's easy to find religion and God/Jesus when you don't want to take responsibility for your actions.

Advertisement