Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Brian? wrote: »
    Biden just announced a plan to halve US emissions by 2030 and people are arguing about identity politics.

This is the biggest shift in environmental policy ever. It shows Biden is following through on his promises and not spending his time playing identity politics like some seem to think.

It would be if there was any explanation as to how such a dramatic change could actually be achieved.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/politics/white-house-climate-summit/index.html

At the White House summit, which is taking place on Thursday and Friday, Biden committed the United States to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 50%-52% below its 2005 emissions levels by 2030. While the goals are a part of the Paris climate agreement that Biden rejoined upon taking office, they are non-binding and the administration has not rolled out a plan on how the US will meet them.

We've dropped about 15% in the last 15 years. Doing another 35% in the next seven seems difficult to attain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Biden just announced a plan to halve US emissions by 2030 and people are arguing about identity politics.

This is the biggest shift in environmental policy ever. It shows Biden is following through on his promises and not spending his time playing identity politics like some seem to think.

Thank god the adults are back in charge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Whilst it's absolutely the right move , it might finally give the GOP the fight to coalesce around.

They've been struggling to land a clean punch on him since he took office.

This might give them the "crisp talking points" that they've been craving.

Absolutely, which is why it's so impressive that he's pulled the trigger on it. He's doing them right thing even though it could damage him politically.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

biko wrote: »
    That's the Paris climate agreement. Ireland will also do this.

They are non binding, so they don't have to do it. It's a huge commitment

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Wow a plan, that's that then. All hail the president

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

BanditLuke wrote: »

You're right, a plan isn't much but when the last guy could even produce that it's at least something.

960x0.jpg?cropX1=0&cropX2=2048&cropY1=94&cropY2=1247

BanditLuke wrote: »

What would you prefer?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What would you prefer?

A plan in two weeks obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Cody montana

What would you prefer?

Not getting windmill cancer.

• Advertisement

It would be if there was any explanation as to how such a dramatic change could actually be achieved.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/politics/white-house-climate-summit/index.html

At the White House summit, which is taking place on Thursday and Friday, Biden committed the United States to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 50%-52% below its 2005 emissions levels by 2030. While the goals are a part of the Paris climate agreement that Biden rejoined upon taking office, they are non-binding and the administration has not rolled out a plan on how the US will meet them.

We've dropped about 15% in the last 15 years. Doing another 35% in the next seven seems difficult to attain.

It seems extremely different. Which is why I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to the detail.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Poverty is going to be a major factor for many turning to crime. There's an interesting examination of the black-white wealth gap here.
    https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2020/02/27/examining-the-black-white-wealth-gap/

Or you can ignore that and we'll pretend that all black people are really just bad apples.

This is what they know. This is what they ignore.

The house carried out its vote to give DC statehood.

Now eagerly standing by for my Congressmen to explain in very measured terms how this is apocalyptic high treason etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,126 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Wilful hypocrisy and attempted revisionism...

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1385244172249178114?s=19

everlast75 wrote: »
    Wilful hypocrisy and attempted revisionism...

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1385244172249178114?s=19

Mhm. Republican two step.

They will spend this Congress while they don’t have the power to pack in their own judges to rail against this argument. When they get that control again though they will immediately abandon this “principled position” and pack the court to their liking, and will cite Democrats as the reason for doing so. Which just makes it all the more paramount it gets done under Democrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,660 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You can claim people are equal but their access to opportunities isn't. People with access to money/wealth are more likely to be able to take advantage of the opportunities afforded to them.

My mother, born in the 40s, grew up in a council house. When she did her inter-cert, she was top of the county and her academic achievement resulted in being awarded a scholarship to continue on to her leaving cert and possibly to college. Her family were so poor, they couldn't afford to support while she did her leaving cert, even with the scholarship. So at 15, she left school to work in a factory and that opportunity was lost to her.

Sadly, her intelligence skipped a generation but it seems to be there with her grandchildren.

Yes, wealth helps.

And there are no barriers to any color in America and their wanting to attain wealth. It is there for all to go for..

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, wealth helps.

And there are no barriers to any color in America and their wanting to attain wealth. It is there for all to go for..

Why is it then the case that black men born to wealthy families are less economically successful than white men?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/21/17139300/economic-mobility-study-race-black-white-women-men-incarceration-income-chetty-hendren-jones-porter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
    The house carried out its vote to give DC statehood.

Now eagerly standing by for my Congressmen to explain in very measured terms how this is apocalyptic high treason etc.

It’s not high treason, but I wouldn’t have minded if there was a trigger on its application preventing it from happening until after the 23rd Amendment is repealed.

It’s also very obviously a senate seat grab. If representation was the primary reason, retrocession as happened to the part of DC which was returned to Virginia is an obvious precedent.

It’s not high treason, but I wouldn’t have minded if there was a trigger on its application preventing it from happening until after the 23rd Amendment is repealed.

It’s also very obviously a senate seat grab. If representation was the primary reason, retrocession as happened to the part of DC which was returned to Virginia is an obvious precedent.

I see it as a rebalancing. Looking at you, Dakota, with your 4 senate seats that don’t even represent 2 million Americans between them.

Why is it then the case that black men born to wealthy families are less economically successful than white men?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/21/17139300/economic-mobility-study-race-black-white-women-men-incarceration-income-chetty-hendren-jones-porter

Well, obviously it has to be society is against them. Systemic racism is a huge barrier. It’s the fault of everyone and everything else...

That’s the only answer that you will accept..

Well, obviously it has to be society is against them. Systemic racism is a huge barrier. It’s the fault of everyone and everything else...

That's interesting. So if it isn't inequality and systemic racism that causes a higher rate of homicide and incarceration in the black population, what is the cause?

• Advertisement

Republicans would probably be a lot more open minded about DC statehood but the found it awfully convenient to brutalize them by Trump riot police proxy all last summer so maybe that has some role in their trepidation. I’m guessing they don’t have any plans for a viable candidate there.

You sure do answer either "I don't know" or sarcastically a lot.

How about you try giving an actual serious answer to a question?

That's interesting. So if it isn't inequality and systemic racism that causes a higher rate of homicide and incarceration in the black population, what is the cause?

You’d have to ask the persons that are committing the actual crimes. Only they can really know what caused them to kill.

We can’t know. The persons commiting the crimes are the ones that can answer this for you.

You sure do answer either "I don't know" or sarcastically a lot.

How about you try giving an actual serious answer to a question?

I don’t have an answer. And nor does anyone. It’s an extremely complex social situation . There is no one answer to a lot of societal issues. This shouldn’t need pointing out.

But it is clear you are leaning to blaming the white man and his systemic racism..

I don’t have an answer. And nor does anyone.

I've provided a link to experts who believe they know the answer. Perhaps you mean people who don't know what they're talking about don't have answer? If so, I agree with your first sentence.

I've provided a link to experts who believe they know the answer. Perhaps you mean people who don't know what they're talking about don't have answer? If so, I agree with your first sentence.

The study you provided gives views and opinions and possible reasons. Not answers..

The study you provided gives views and opinions and possible reasons. Not answers..

Wow you skimmed through the 106 page study provided in my link quite fast, I'm impressed.

Wow you skimmed through the 106 page study provided in my link quite fast, I'm impressed.

I read the link..not 106 pages.

Anyway, you’re hellbent on blaming white people for the issues faced by black people today, and I both disagree with this, and find it insulting to black and white people; and I would doubt I am alone here..

Your view may have washed in the 1960s. It absolutely does not today. And it’s more damaging a view than assisting!

Your view may have washed in the 1960s. It absolutely does not today. And it’s more damaging a view than assisting!

My view does wash today. It's what the experts of today say is happening. An internet warrior saying otherwise does make my opinion and the opinion of experts in their field less valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I read the link..not 106 pages.

Anyway, you’re hellbent on blaming white people for the issues faced by black people today, and I both disagree with this, and find it insulting to black and white people; and I would doubt I am alone here..

If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today.

My view does wash today. It's what the experts of today say is happening. An internet warrior saying otherwise does make my opinion and the opinion of experts in their field less valid.

Sorted so. Their opinion....

And mine is the opposite. I find their opinion to be garbage. And insulting to black and white people. And a very dangerous opinion.

Now, they can feel what they like about my opinion..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Overheal wrote: »

Kavanaugh was never fit to be a supreme court justice.

Sorted so. Their opinion....

And mine is the opposite. I find their opinion to be garbage. And insulting to black and white people. And a very dangerous opinion.

Now, they can feel what they like about my opinion..

So, do you suggest that I should ignore the experts in their field and instead listen to you? A person who is not an expert? A person who does not take the time to read any papers provided to him as he's so sure he's right and nothing could change his mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Kavanaugh was never fit to be a supreme court justice.

Amy Klobuchar took him down while smiling.

So, do you suggest that I should ignore the experts in their field and instead listen to you? A person who is not an expert? A person who does not take the time to read any papers provided to him as he's so sure he's right and nothing could change his mind?

You can listen to who you like. Doesn’t affect me in the slightest.

We just happen to disagree. No big deal.

You think issues/problems that black people face today in America is down to systemic racism. And you post articles to strengthen your position .

I disagree.

Are you disputing that? I've provided many peer reviewed articles from reputable academic journals that say that's the case. Would you like to counter that by providing some of your own?

You sound like a school teacher talking to a class of children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You think issues/problems that black people face today in America is down to systemic racism. And you post articles to strengthen your position .

I disagree.

the difference is one opinion is based on the best available evidence and yours just isn't.

You think issues/problems that black people face in America is down to systemic racism.

I disagree.

No, I don't think that. I instead think that people should agree with the opinions of the experts in the field think unless they can provide objective evidence as to why those opinions are wrong. You have provided no such evidence.

• Advertisement

You sound like a school teacher talking to a class of children.

So that's a no then? You posted a gif which implied that I said something outrageous, and yet you can't even counter what I said even a little bit?

No, I don't think that. I instead think that people should agree with the opinions of the experts in the field think unless they can provide objective evidence as to why those opinions are wrong. You have provided no such evidence.

One must first have an opinion before one can provide supporting evidence. So you'll get no evidence. It's a bit of an idle distraction to engage now and again but meaningful debate isn't possible.

You have provided no evidence that white people are the cause of black peoples problems and issues today. Just opinions and views..

Google would throw up plenty opinions/views that disagree with your opinions/views..

Let it go. Even black people are sick to the teeth of people making them out to be persecuted, misunderstood and treated badly..

And I don’t blame them. It’s insulting and demeaning!

So that's a no then? You posted a gif which implied that I said something outrageous, and yet you can't even counter what I said even a little bit?

You know where Critical Race Theory came from don't you ?

Academia.
    Far Left Universities in the US.

So forgive me when I say I dont have much faith in your so called reputable academic journals.

But the gif might make you look silly and maybe garner a few likes.

Let it go. Even black people are sick to the teeth of people making them out to be persecuted, misunderstood and treated badly..

And I don’t blame them. It’s insulting and demeaning!

The white liberal is the worst enemy to America, and the worst enemy to the black man …. If the Negro wasn’t taken, tricked, or deceived by the white liberal then Negros would get together and solve our own problems. I only cite these things to show you that in America the history of the white liberal has been nothing but a series of trickery designed to make Negros think that the white liberal was going to solve our problems."

- Malcolm X

• Advertisement

You have provided no evidence. Just opinions and views..

I don't need to provide evidence. I am agreeing with the experts.
    Google would throw up plenty opinions/views that disagree with your opinion s/views..

Well post them then. You have been asked several times to back up what you are saying by posting links to articles or papers made by reputable experts in the field that agree with what you are saying. So post links to such articles or papers.

Of course, you won't do that in your next reply either but will instead go off on another tangent as to why that's not necessary.

So forgive me when I say I dont have much faith in your so called reputable academic journals.

Did you just use the word faith to describe the content of an academic journal?

You know where Critical Race Theory came from don't you ?

Academia.
    Far Left Universities in the US.

So Oxford and Harvard are far left universities in the US? You learn something new every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some posters have never had to give their kids the talk on, 'the facts of life...and death.' This is the talk black parents give their sons, rich and poor do it. It's the talk on how to interact with the police and avoid if possible ending up dead.
    Get real FFS.

The white liberal is the worst enemy to America, and the worst enemy to the black man.
    Let me explain what I mean by the white liberal.
    In America there is no such thing as Democrat or Republican anymore.
    In America you have liberals and conservatives.
    The only people living in the past who think in terms of I’m a Democrat or Republican, is the American Negro.
    He’s the one that runs around bragging about party affiliation.
    He’s the one that sticks to the Democrat or sticks to the Republican.

But white people are divided into two groups, liberals and conservative.
    The Democrats who are conservative, vote with the Republicans who are conservative.
    The Democrats who are liberal vote with the Republicans that are liberal.
    The white liberal aren’t white people who are for independence, who are moral and ethical in their thinking.
    They are just a faction of white people that are jockeying for power.
    The same as the white conservative is a faction of white people that are jockeying for power. They are fighting each other for power and prestige, and the one that is the football in the game is the Negro, 20 million black people.
    A political football, a political pawn, an economic football, and economic pawn. A social football, a social pawn. The liberal elements of whites are those who have perfected the art of selling themselves to the Negro as a friend of the Negro.
    Getting sympathy of the Negro, getting the allegiance of the Negro, and getting the mind of the Negro. Then the Negro sides with the white liberal, and the white liberal use the Negro against the white conservative. So that anything that the Negro does is never for his own good, never for his own advancement, never for his own progress, he’s only a pawn in the hands of the white liberal.

The worst enemy that the Negro have is this white man that runs around here drooling at the mouth professing to love Negros, and calling himself a liberal, and it is following these white liberals that has perpetuated problems that Negros have.
    If the Negro wasn’t taken, tricked, or deceived by the white liberal then Negros would get together and solve our own problems. I only cite these things to show you that in America the history of the white liberal has been nothing but a series of trickery designed to make Negros think that the white liberal was going to solve our problems.

Our problems will never be solved by the white man.
    The only way that our problem will be solved is when the black man wakes up, clean himself up, stand on his own feet and stop begging the white man, and take immediate steps to do for ourselves the things that we have been waiting on the white man to do for us.
    Once we do for self then we will be able to solve our own problems’ "The white conservatives aren't friends of the Negro either, but they at least don't try to hide it. They are like wolves; they show their teeth in a snarl that keeps the Negro always aware of where he stands with them. But the white liberals are foxes, who also show their teeth to the Negro but pretend that they are smiling. The white liberals are more dangerous than the conservatives; they lure the Negro, and as the Negro runs from the growling wolf, he flees into the open jaws of the "smiling" fox.

One is the wolf, the other is a fox. No matter what, they’ll both eat you.”

Malcolm X

His analysis is more apt now than it ever was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement