Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's PanDENmonium! [Off Topic Chat]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I could never get into Twitter.

I just don't get the same sense of engagement from it.

I hope there is somewhere for the teens still on this . I got a lot out of it over the years.
    Once the last of us drop off here They should just close it.

Last one out get the lights

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I could never get into Twitter or Reddit tbh. The reason I love Boards is because posts are in a chronological order. It allows conversations to flow naturally. Post 3658 has as much chance of being replied to as post 12 which has 6,000 thanks on it.

With Reddit, I always feel like if I'm not on a thread within less than an hour, there's no point posting a new comment because it'll just sink to the bottom and never be seen. I know you can sort by newest, but the default is most popular so I doubt a lot of people actually bother to sort...

Plus, in the first few years I was on Boards (early 2011 to early 2014) I really felt there was a community here. I had C&H, Radio, Podcasts, UL, the Psychic Readings Live crew over in TV, a few Games subforums, all people just chatting and having fun.

In the last two years though, more and more of those people have left, UL forum is basically dead, C&H is basically dead, Radio has gotten incredibly hostile (to the point where I dread every time I get a reported post email now), Podcasts is going the same way, I don't post in TV anymore because PRL is gone so that little community is gone...

I dunno. The site just feels different now. Less welcoming. Less "friends hanging out having a chat" and more "standard internet forum where people have to constantly fight with each other".

But the redesign will solve all of this... right guys? Right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

In regards to lc there was a secret forum for a few years but last years lc crowd was never sent there. It too is very dead

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's funny how "cliques" came to be seen as a very negative thing, to the point where chatty posts were banned from After Hours because a few people felt like they were being excluded.

For years (mid-late 2000s anyway) the mantra was always to lurk first and get a feel for a place before posting, read the stickies, do a search to see if a topic has already been done to death or not. The onus was on the new poster to figure out the prevailing tone of the place.

That slowly and subtly changed with people complaining that they felt left out if posters didn't immediately include them in the conversation. In-jokes became a problem. If someone somewhere might find something a little bit offensive on somebody else's behalf, then it gets reported. People are too sensitive to deal with jokes now, because malice is always assumed. The baby was thrown out with the bath water after all the genuine complaints about sexism, Traveller bashing, nasty homophobia, etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Any suggestions of where one eats drinks sees or does while in Liverpool for a few days?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

There's a Krispy Kreme. I mean, that's it sorted then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

There's a Krispy Kreme. I mean, that's it sorted then.

TBH yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Fijne kerstdagen allemaal. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

pajor wrote: »

Fijne kerstdagen allemaal. :)

You should totally have started a new thread for this... >_>

<_<

:pac:

An File wrote: »
    You should totally have started a new thread for this... >_>

<_<

:pac:

Eh.. no. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Happy Christmas CHers. i know havent been here much mainly due to google and boards not working on mobile. hope you are all keeping well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I fell down a deep-ish YouTube well last night which started with a heap of Fry and Laurie sketches, and ended up watching 3 hours worth of Stephen Fry talking about religion, mental illness and just life in general.

Now, I knew Fry was intelligent, but honestly I never really appreciated just how articulate the man is, mainly because I never really delved further than QI or his acting stuff.

I think his speech during a debate on the motion "The Catholic Church is a force of good in the world." from 2009 should be required viewing for a lot of people. Such passion and palpable anger.

It got me thinking about my own religion. I, for the first time, realised that although I didn't lose my belief until I was maybe 13 or 14, I'd basically been a Protestant since before I got my first Communion. I realised that not once, ever did I believe, or was I told that I should believe, that the wine and bread were literally transforming. I always thought it was symbolic. It infuriates me that I knew so little about the religion I was inducted into and which was a core subject in my primary school education, that I didn't believe in one of the religion's core tenets.

I really don't know what point, if any, I'm trying to make here. I guess I just needed to put these thoughts somewhere, and the forum hadn't had a post this year yet. :o

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    and the forum hadn't had a post this year yet. :o

Not to disregard the important parts of your post, but does this mean everybody's giving up on the Jizzlers this year? :P

An File wrote: »
    Not to disregard the important parts of your post, but does this mean everybody's giving up on the Jizzlers this year? :P

Nominations would be easy at least... :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Nominations would be easy at least... :P

"Should Be a Couple" would be puuuuuure awkward. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Everyone and themselves? Totally a good couple.

So... Trump eh?

Less than 24 hours in, has already removed mentions of LGBT people from the White House website, and gotten rid of the climate change page and replaced it with his plan to basically undo "burdensome" climate change regulations.

I said it in November, but "It's going to be a long four years."

(My dismay at these developments may or may not be heightened by the fact I watched Lincoln on FilmFour tonight :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Trump or Hilary. It really was that south park episode come to life.
    If Trump has any positives it may be that the yanks finally examine their system ad realise that it's a bit of a joke.

Hello all you gorgeous people. I feel like it's been years since I was last here. Trying to get boards to work with a mobile browser proves hard.

What's the ska around here?

It's gone very quiet around here! :eek:

No time for ska with work and responsibilities and stuff. :(

• Advertisement

I know! Grownupping is difficult.

I'm working full time and doing college, and I'm still shocked I can do it!

Ditto. Working full time. Enjoying it enough. Pays well too. :)

Sounds like we're all busy working. Ice just moved back to Dublin for the fourth time. Kinda settling in well thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Once upon a time, there were three kingdoms, all bordering on the same lake. For centuries, these kingdoms had fought over an island in the middle of that lake. One day, they decided to have it out, once and for all.
    The first kingdom was quite rich, and sent an army of 25 knights, each with three squires. The night before the battle, the knights jousted and cavorted as their squires polished armor, cooked food, and sharpened weapons. The second kingdom was not so wealthy, and sent only 10 knights, each with 2 squires. The night before the battle, the knights cavorted and sharpened their weapons as the squires polished armor and prepared dinner. The third kingdom was very poor, and only sent one elderly knight with his sole squire. The night before the battle, the knight sharpened his weapon, while the squire, using a looped rope, slung a pot high over the fire to cook while he prepared the knight's armor.
    The next day, the battle began. All the knights of the first two kingdoms had cavorted a bit too much (one should never cavort while sharpening weapons and jousting) and could not fight. The squire of the third kingdom could not rouse the elderly knight in time for combat. So, in the absence of the knights, the squires fought.
    The battle raged well into the late hours, but when the dust finally settled, a solitary figure limped from the carnage. The lone squire from the third kingdom dragged himself away, beaten, bloodied, but victorious.
    And it just goes to prove, the squire of the high pot and noose is equal to the sum of the squires of the other two sides.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Once upon a time, there were three kingdoms, all bordering on the same lake. For centuries, these kingdoms had fought over an island in the middle of that lake. One day, they decided to have it out, once and for all.
    The first kingdom was quite rich, and sent an army of 25 knights, each with three squires. The night before the battle, the knights jousted and cavorted as their squires polished armor, cooked food, and sharpened weapons. The second kingdom was not so wealthy, and sent only 10 knights, each with 2 squires. The night before the battle, the knights cavorted and sharpened their weapons as the squires polished armor and prepared dinner. The third kingdom was very poor, and only sent one elderly knight with his sole squire. The night before the battle, the knight sharpened his weapon, while the squire, using a looped rope, slung a pot high over the fire to cook while he prepared the knight's armor.
    The next day, the battle began. All the knights of the first two kingdoms had cavorted a bit too much (one should never cavort while sharpening weapons and jousting) and could not fight. The squire of the third kingdom could not rouse the elderly knight in time for combat. So, in the absence of the knights, the squires fought.
    The battle raged well into the late hours, but when the dust finally settled, a solitary figure limped from the carnage. The lone squire from the third kingdom dragged himself away, beaten, bloodied, but victorious.
    And it just goes to prove, the squire of the high pot and noose is equal to the sum of the squires of the other two sides.

Oh fuck you Hugsie! :pac: :pac: :pac:

That is one of the worst jokes I've ever read. ¬_¬

I love it! :D

Breaking up with someone is the worst thing ever

Jhcx wrote: »
    Breaking up with someone is the worst thing ever

Awkward coincidence. I'm at a race today in Clare. There's about 2000 people registered to run. I still end up standing next to my ex at the starting line. We broke up this time last year. Bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Hope you're both feeling ok x

• Advertisement

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Hope you're both feeling ok x

I just ran 10 km in gorgeous sunshine. I'm buzzing. :D

Advertisement