Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daytripper 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I would quite happily go see The Darkness again, awesome band live!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭skaface

lc180 wrote: »
    So......The Darkness are playing. Good to know.

Oh sweet Jesus :mad: &Maverick Sabre
    Another band mentioned is From the Jam (founder Jam member Bruce Foxton,s tribute band)
    Not exactly Paul Weller!! or Headline material either .. Piss poor acts if these are playing

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I would quite happily go see The Darkness again, awesome band live!

Not exactly Headline Material for a Festival Tbh though in fairness !!
    Anyway, all speculation until we hear anything Officially from Daytripper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

where ye hearing these announcements from?? nothing on their facebook when I checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Details not released yet but very strong source

• Advertisement

skaface wrote: »
    Oh sweet Jesus :mad: &Maverick Sabre
    Another band mentioned is From the Jam (founder Jam member Bruce Foxton,s tribute band)
    Not exactly Paul Weller!! or Headline material either .. Piss poor acts if these are playing

Seen that "from the jam" where mentioned on the FB page but didn't hear about it from my source. Doesn't mean they aren't playing as I was just asking about headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd definitely go to see The Darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would love if the darkness are headling was suppose to see them in Clonmel last week but could not make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Mr.H wrote: »
    While neither confirming nor denying :D (but that being said the hold up is about getting the artist to Waterford for the weekend so the artist may not be there when its confirmed) it is a disappointing line up to be fair. The other two bands are just as unimpressive. One has a new album coming out in June and have played in Limerick recently (Just finished a tour of Ireland in fact) while the other will appeal to an older crowd and fans of a specific type of music (this is the band I think that the issues are concerning).

I think if I gave away much more then my source could dry up.

I'm sure that Daytrippers will sell but I get the impression the funding has been pulled back due to not getting the payback from it. Shame really.

Maybe it would be better if a festival was made that just had one BIG name every year and the rest would be just specific cover bands (knights of Leon, Stone roses experience, Alvin purple experience, etc.) and local up and coming bands. The local up and coming acts could be played live on Beat and it would give the band exposure while also 'free' content for the station.

Waterfords Big Picnic could be on the August bank holiday weekend every year and instead of bringing in Kaiser Chiefs, David Gray and Paloma Faith, we could just get one big band in the ilk of the Frames, Paul Simon & Sting, Bruce or even a lower tier like Villagers, Stereophonics, Coronas etc.

is the 3rd band ub40?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Def Weller isnt one of the acts by all accounts. Strong source

"Oh, let me go, you let me down
    When I'm with you, I'm broken now"

;)
    Mr.H, I hope you're not one of the organisers if this thread is anything to go by.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057402459

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

AdMMM wrote: »
    Mr.H, I hope you're not one of the organisers if this thread is anything to go by.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057402459

That was an entertaining read. I agree with AdMMM.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I'd rather watch a cover band in The Kazbar than pay to see Maverick Sabre or The Darkness. What a let down of a line up that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

I'd rather watch a cover band in The Kazbar than pay to see Maverick Sabre or The Darkness. What a let down of a line up that would be.

Its that attitude why Waterford never has any good bands there,just the same 4/5 bands playing in the same pub every different week

Not the organiser and never have organised a music fest. I'd really like to though, hence the thread you linked

jebus84 wrote: »
    Its that attitude why Waterford never has any good bands there,just the same 4/5 bands playing in the same pub every different week

While i agree with above, last years line up was fantastic and gonna be hard to match but we had plenty of complaints about that too in 2014, it is pathetic , there will always be complaints unless its a free gig with a massive band, no queues and selling pints for 2€, maybe then people wont complain. People should realise that we need to support this stuff for it to grow and get bigger, its easier to knock everything, doing nothing. Added to that, what do they expect, they complain about lack of music and then when some reasonably famous names appear they cant wait to dismiss it, this is Waterford, not Dublin so to get massive bands is a big ask when you have less than 5000 at a venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Not the organiser and never have organised a music fest. I'd really like to though, hence the thread you linked
    Well then if you have sources who know who's playing, or likely to play, presumably they're close to the organisers so why don't you ask them what it takes to run a festival? :)

From experience I can tell you that you'll spend much of your time having your buzz completely wrecked. It really takes dedication to work through that. Especially when you reach the end of your first festival so far in debt you'll despair. And then get back up and do it all again the following year and if you're lucky come out of it a little less in debt and hoping that year 3 breaks even.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Max Powers wrote: »
    While i agree with above, last years line up was fantastic and gonna be hard to match but we had plenty of complaints about that too in 2014, it is pathetic , there will always be complaints unless its a free gig with a massive band, no queues and selling pints for 2€, maybe then people wont complain. People should realise that we need to support this stuff for it to grow and get bigger, its easier to knock everything, doing nothing. Added to that, what do they expect, they complain about lack of music and then when some reasonably famous names appear they cant wait to dismiss it, this is Waterford, not Dublin so to get massive bands is a big ask when you have less than 5000 at a venue.

Why should anybody support below par acts when a ticket will cost upwards of €40. If anybody pays €40 to see Maverick Sabre, they've too much money.

Last year's lineup was decent. The reported lineup this year, isn't. It's terrible.

I'm not expecting U2 to play Bolton Street Car Park, but for €40 and a fiver a pint I'd like to see somebody a little bigger than Maverick Sabre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Is there any truth in the Texas rumour?

Is there any truth in the Texas rumour?

I heard "ABBA " are reforming for it :pac:
    In all honesty, it's only all a guessing game until we get confirmation..

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »
    Well then if you have sources who know who's playing, or likely to play, presumably they're close to the organisers so why don't you ask them what it takes to run a festival? :)

My source is not involved in the technical aspects but they have given me a few pointers
    old gregg wrote: »
    From experience I can tell you that you'll spend much of your time having your buzz completely wrecked. It really takes dedication to work through that. Especially when you reach the end of your first festival so far in debt you'll despair. And then get back up and do it all again the following year and if you're lucky come out of it a little less in debt and hoping that year 3 breaks even.

From the feedback I have been getting I'm going to look at a cost effective way of running something maybe this year or next. Possibly getting a bar or two on board and running some sort of event. Seems like tough work and a lot of negativity surrounding it (not even just on here but in the real world. I guess its a case of a few people that are already doing it dont want more competition)

My source is not involved in the technical aspects but they have given me a few pointers

From the feedback I have been getting I'm going to look at a cost effective way of running something maybe this year or next. Possibly getting a bar or two on board and running some sort of event. Seems like tough work and a lot of negativity surrounding it (not even just on here but in the real world. I guess its a case of a few people that are already doing it dont want more competition)

I guess if you view the opinions and warnings of others as negative because they don't want competition you'll end up in a pickle and a half. I've been involved in the music industry (mostly as a touring artist) for nearly 30 years. My personal experience at running a festival was as I've offered. Nothing negative, just a warning that it's going to be really tough. It has to be that way unless you can bankrole an absolute certainty like the Rolling Stones or U2.

To make matters ever more difficult, Waterford is probably the hardest place in Ireland to run a musical event. Why? because Waterford people historically don't support live music. I've personally seen it countless times even before deciding to run a festival here. The festival I was/am involved in was/is a community led international music festival and we couldn't give away the tickets to locals but could draw an audience from outside Waterford.

Best of luck with whatever you do mate. You're not competing with me in any way.

old gregg wrote: »
    I guess if you view the opinions and warnings of others as negative because they don't want competition you'll end up in a pickle and a half. I've been involved in the music industry (mostly as a touring artist) for nearly 30 years. My personal experience at running a festival was as I've offered. Nothing negative, just a warning that it's going to be really tough. It has to be that way unless you can bankrole an absolute certainty like the Rolling Stones or U2.

To make matters ever more difficult, Waterford is probably the hardest place in Ireland to run a musical event. Why? because Waterford people historically don't support live music. I've personally seen it countless times even before deciding to run a festival here. The festival I was/am involved in was/is a community led international music festival and we couldn't give away the tickets to locals but could draw an audience from outside Waterford.

Best of luck with whatever you do mate. You're not competing with me in any way.

If you wanna discuss that there is a thread already. I just don't wanna derail this thread. But I do get what people are saying. Just not a fan of blind negativity.

In relation to the music scene though that's not just Waterford. Limerick is horrible for selling out gigs. If its not a major act, tickets usually don't sell fast. I do think that the problem is more down to the venues though. Galway, Cork hell even Kilkenny manage to sell gig in good time.

The issue is the venues are mostly all run by the same people and they don't like the idea of paying to promote. Dolans in Limerick for example. Probably the biggest music venue in Limerick (not including Thomond park) but they run the Big top as well and their local promotion is rubbish. Only in the last 12 months did they start using the local paper ffs.

They rely on word of mouth and social media. Thats all well and good but talking marketing, its not enough!

According to their Facebook, Acts being announced next week definitely !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

As people mentioned above, it is proving harder then originally planned for the line up to get over the line.

The original line up would have been superb but between one or two things its so hard to finalise. Obviously MCD has a lot of acts sewn up so it is even harder to make it work.

Daytripper guys are fighting with one hand behind their back so to speak. they should be commended for trying year on year to improve it. Would be great for people to support whatever line up as we all know how good the 3 days can be.

I know 40eur might seem a lot to go to a day out with acts you may not be fully into, but the alternative is to have nothing on in 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Announcement tomorrow at 08:20am on WLR apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

savic04 wrote: »
    As people mentioned above, it is proving harder then originally planned for the line up to get over the line.

The original line up would have been superb but between one or two things its so hard to finalise. Obviously MCD has a lot of acts sewn up so it is even harder to make it work.

Daytripper guys are fighting with one hand behind their back so to speak. they should be commended for trying year on year to improve it. Would be great for people to support whatever line up as we all know how good the 3 days can be.

I know 40eur might seem a lot to go to a day out with acts you may not be fully into, but the alternative is to have nothing on in 2016

Why would I buy tickets for people I might not want to see? I'm not a bloody charity.
    I wish the festival well, but there always seems to be a sense of entitlement with people for support regardless of the quality of the event just because it's local. If it's going to be sub par and chances are you know people won't like the line up, don't do it and wait till you can provide a decent line up. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Why would I but tickets for people I might not want to see? I'm not a bloody charity.
    I wish the festival well, but there always seems to be a sense of entitlement with people for support regardless of the quality of the event just because it's local. If it's going to be sub par and chances are you know people won't like the line up, don't do it and wait till you can provide a decent line up. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

To support music in your home city, support local events and businesses, its not like we couldnt do with locals coming out and supporting local stuff. Of course, its easier to be negative and knock any event that isnt exactly to your liking but many people go to support their city, €40 isnt big money, you pay €5 in most late bars in town so its not a big deal if you are fortunate enough to have a income. If it wasnt happening, guarantee a lot of the negative posters would be complaining about no events. Its a night away from your usual trip to local or whatever, see some decent bands, you might even enjoy yourself even if the bands arent top of your list. The more people support, longer it goes on, year after year, it will grow, electric picnic or anything didnt start with like it is now, it had to grow. Hopefully this attitude is in minority. I for one will be buying a couple of tickets, i rarely get out for pints so this is a great night, in the city, place will be buzzing.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

To support music in your home city, support local events and businesses, its not like we couldnt do with locals coming out and supporting local stuff. Of course, its easier to be negative and knock any event that isnt exactly to your liking but many people go to support their city, €40 isnt big money, you pay €5 in most late bars in town so its not a big deal if you are fortunate enough to have a income. If it wasnt happening, guarantee a lot of the negative posters would be complaining about no events. Its a night away from your usual trip to local or whatever, see some decent bands, you might even enjoy yourself even if the bands arent top of your list. The more people support, longer it goes on, year after year, it will grow, electric picnic or anything didnt start with like it is now, it had to grow. Hopefully this attitude is in minority. I for one will be buying a couple of tickets, i rarely get out for pints so this is a great night, in the city, place will be buzzing.

Hold on a second, there are two ways of looking at this, and you seem to be missing one. Take the theatre royal for instance. This weekend, Steve Porry is singing all the hits of the movies and you can enjoy them for just €25 a ticket. Who's steve porry I hear you ask? Exactly. Why on earth would you support that? Theatre royal had a madness tribute recently - €20 8 members in the band, 6 people in the audience. The theatre is losing money hand over fist and despite owning the tax man a fortune, still got 65k grant from the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I think it is a bit much to expect people to spend €40 on a ticket to something just because it is local. €40 is big money to some people. I hope it does well but to expect blanket support from locals is a bit naive. Do enjoy your night out but berating people for having no interest in the event or lineup will do nobody any favours.

Advertisement