Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daytripper 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭dzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The human league would also be a perfect fit for 2016 daytripper. There playing at a feile festival in Belfast and it's similar acts to daytripper.

The one thing I find about daytripper it's always full of washed up former big bands but it sells. There's a big MOD/ska following in waterford. We are never going to get a big act such as Bruce Springsteen, ed sherran, kings of Leon etc unless a rich businessman comes on board and a proper venue is chosen. Walsh park would be suitable

I don't think it is particulary about getting acts to suit the differing music tastes in town, more like its getting whatever acts are available for that date. There are so many festivals happening europe wide in the summer so a lot of the best bands are booked and have commitments to other other organizers. With regards walsh park, what we have is purpose designed and suitable and centre of the city I wouldn't move it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

dzilla wrote: »
    . With regards walsh park, what we have is purpose designed, suitable and centre of the city I wouldn't move it from there

.....................it's a car park

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

€6 for a pint and €2 for a can of coke is a bit much but that's what you pay in Slane and all the other festivals so can we really complain?

yes we can and should. its bloody too much. they should be encouraging families into these fecken things. sounds like it all went well though which is good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

€6 for a pint and €2 for a can of coke is a bit much but that's what you pay in Slane and all the other festivals so can we really complain?

Of course you can. It is still price gouging regardless of who else does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

Cant believe it was 6 quid for a pint. Can this country not do anything without being a greedy c**t? Encourages people to bring their own drink too. Ridiculous. I havent been to a concert in a while now but I never paid over a 5er for one.

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    .....................it's a car park

Where u born with those special observant traits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

It looks like it is going to be on the Water side next year in the old Gas works, ye might as well start complaining now, about the price , the toilets , the smell of the Gas works!!(bet not too many of ye remember that!).
    They screwed up on the bar this year they admitted it on the Monday morning, give them a break, at least they are trying to do something not sitting on their wholes (sic) just complaining.
    €6.00 for a pint is less than you pay in most City Centre Dublin pubs, and for this they had to build bars, toilets , get power to them,man the above, do H & S etc and hope the weather is good and the crowds come, it's called taking a risk, and one should be paid for it, get over it, and as for someone complaining about the price of beer at a concert he says he wasn't at !!! Jesus give me strength,

wellboytoo wrote: »
    It looks like it is going to be on the Water side next year in the old Gas works, ye might as well start complaining now, about the price , the toilets , the smell of the Gas works!!(bet not too many of ye remember that!).
    They screwed up on the bar this year they admitted it on the Monday morning, give them a break, at least they are trying to do something not sitting on their wholes (sic) just complaining.
    €6.00 for a pint is less than you pay in most City Centre Dublin pubs, and for this they had to build bars, toilets , get power to them,man the above, do H & S etc and hope the weather is good and the crowds come, it's called taking a risk, and one should be paid for it, get over it, and as for someone complaining about the price of beer at a concert he says he wasn't at !!! Jesus give me strength,

hahaha legend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

€6.00 for a pint is less than you pay in most City Centre Dublin pubs

Unless Daytripper happened in the centre of Dublin, what does that have to do with anything?

Are there any festivals that have cheap pints? This is not a new phenomenon just the reality of pricing at events where it is a sellers market. More luck to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

€5 for a pint at the gigs in the Marquee in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Twas €5.50 for a pint at AC/DC and The Frames at the weekend. (both in Dublin)

€5 for a pint at the gigs in the Marquee in Cork.

Bar setup in the marquee is run over a number or months with 10+ gigs.... more return from bar as its is earning money for weeks and does not just have a 2 days window. Your not comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

There are a few bars in Dublin that charge that price, not many.
    Mostly just the bars smack bang in temple bar square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

dzilla wrote: »
    Where u born with those special observant traits?

No it's a super power I developed when people try over sell things. Like calling a car park a designed venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Don't these events usually only stock products from one drinks group, be it the Heino group or Diageo or someone? -Hence giving the brands a captive audience for the target audience they want to sell to, often a product that the consumer doesn't consume but purchases as there is no alternative, in the hope of recruiting new consumers.

This exclusivity plus the associated branding at music events is very sought after by drinks companies - you can be sure they are not giving the beer to the vintners at the same price as Daytripper is getting it for.

I would be of the opinion that for contracts like say the Point Depot (or what ever its called now) the drinks company pays the venue to be the exclusive stockist

So comparing the price point of the pint at the Daytripper event is not the same as comparing it to what you would usually pay for a pint in the local.

ec18 wrote: »
    No it's a super power I developed when people try over sell things. Like calling a car park a designed venue.

It is though. The car park was developed designed with the events as such taking place in them. Don't understand what your issue is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Don't these events usually only stock products from one drinks group, be it the Heino group or Diageo or someone? -Hence giving the brands a captive audience for the target audience they want to sell to, often a product that the consumer doesn't consume but purchases as there is no alternative, in the hope of recruiting new consumers.

This exclusivity plus the associated branding at music events is very sought after by drinks companies - you can be sure they are not giving the beer to the vintners at the same price as Daytripper is getting it for.

I would be of the opinion that for contracts like say the Point Depot (or what ever its called now) the drinks company pays the venue to be the exclusive stockist

So comparing the price point of the pint at the Daytripper event is not the same as comparing it to what you would usually pay for a pint in the local.

Heino, i hope you said that taking the p with a silly south dublin dort accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Pints were €6.50 in Marlay Park last weekend.

Rather than pay €6 for a pint and then complain, don't buy it at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Maybe it's an Irish/UK problem.

A price of a beer in Glastonbury costs €6.
    Rock am Ring in Germany: about €4
    Sonar in Spain: €1

If the drinks companies are tendering to come in and supply the service there is probably little flexibility in price that they charge the end user, but this might be passed on to impact the ticket prices.

In general though, consumers behaviour is a major determinant of price. If you're not happy, don't buy.

hardybuck wrote: »

If the drinks companies are tendering to come in and supply the service there is probably little flexibility in price that they charge the end user, but this might be passed on to impact the ticket prices.

In general though, consumers behaviour is a major determinant of price. If you're not happy, don't buy.

i think you could be right there. i suspect our taxes are probably higher on alcohol as well but we really do need to complain more about the price of alcohol here. this coming from a person that very rarely drinks. our governments must make a fortune from it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will the gasworks place be bigger than Bolton street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

hardybuck wrote: »

Considering a pint in a normal bar (not wetherspoons) cost about £4.00 - £4.60 in the UK I find it hard to believe that a pint was only £4.25 in Glastonbury..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will the gasworks place be bigger than Bolton street

From memory they hope to hold 9000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Interesting article here on the costs of running a festival.
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/09/cost-of-staging-music-festival

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

O Riain wrote: »
    Considering a pint in a normal bar (not wetherspoons) cost about £4.00 - £4.60 in the UK I find it hard to believe that a pint was only £4.25 in Glastonbury..

There you go. Gives a fairly comprehensive comparison of festival costs internationally.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/apr/13/music-festivals-2015-compare-the-costs-of-the-worlds-biggest-parties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

O Riain wrote: »

I was at Glastonbury this year and pints of Thatchers cider was £4.50 or £4.85 depending on which bar you went to. Lager was the same price. I should know as I bought over 40 of them in the four days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I was at Glastonbury this year and pints of Thatchers cider was £4.50 or £4.85 depending on which bar you went to. Lager was the same price. I should know as I bought over 40 of them in the four days!

Well then that's €6.25 to €6.75, not €6 like the other guy said.

Advertisement