Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

kryogen wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Your birthday is in August Ian!

My Wife wrote that post .lol

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dreams aloud

Just wondering what people think..i know a case of a few people arriving at a certain new chinese restaurant & asking for a table only to be looked up & down & told that they might be better off getting a takeaway because they were dressed in casual clothes. I was shocked about this, like surely they could hide them at a corner table or something out of the way but is that not just insulting people?!, hardly a good way to start out in business!

To make it relevant to this thread better say that i haven't eaten there myself but have heard only good reviews!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

cant imagine that happening tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

cant imagine that happening tbh
    me neither, I'v eaten there and the staff are very friendly and food was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Unless they were people of a Travelling Persuasion.

• Advertisement

Not at all, just one of the people was in a tracksuit. Personally i wouldn't dream of going to a restaurant on a Sat evening dressed casually so can see where the restaurant is coming from, like obviously they wouldn't be impressed but to voice it is a different story! Also i have nothing against the restaurant or the staff etc, have heard nothing but positive reviews about the place & looking forward to trying it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

Suggestions please for thurs the 28th Oct! My bro and his girlfriend are coming down for the night!

La Palma and Sabaii are always excellent

Depends on what kind of food your looking for though? is it restaurant/casual dining
    Italian/Chineese/Thai? etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Emiliano's is a fantastic Italian-ask for a table downstairs-they tend to put groups upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Emiliano's is a fantastic Italian-ask for a table downstairs-they tend to put groups upstairs.

I was just about to ask about Emilano's, if it's still as good as it used to be as I've heard a few shaky rewiews of it lately

• Advertisement

I find Emilianos quite overrated these days and really couldnt look past La Palma for fine Italian dining.

I find Emilianos quite overrated these days and really couldnt look past La Palma for fine Italian dining.

Yeah I've heard that about La Palma but I think it's more flashy than I really want. I'm looking for some where cosy rather than flash, I was thinking of Le Atmosphere but again I've heard some poor reports.

hmmm....i dunno, La Palma doesnt strike me as too flashy, but each to their own! L'Atmosphere is ok, it can be hit and miss i guess!

hmmm....i dunno, La Palma doesnt strike me as too flashy, but each to their own! L'Atmosphere is ok, it can be hit and miss i guess!

OK, maybe flashy is the wrong word maybe modern would be better where the "rustic" style of Emilanos or L'Atmosphere is more apealing.

Maybe try Bodega, i've never had a bad meal there & it has the cosy atmosphere you seem to be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jay.i.am

Thumbs up from me for L'Atmosphere second time ive dined there this year and could'nt fault it.Also had a nice early bird in Emilianos recently great value seems to be back up to the stanard of a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

Maybe try Bodega, i've never had a bad meal there & it has the cosy atmosphere you seem to be looking for.

Ex spot, would deffo go there again:D

jay.i.am wrote: »
    Thumbs up from me for L'Atmosphere second time ive dined there this year and could'nt fault it.Also had a nice early bird in Emilianos recently great value seems to be back up to the stanard of a couple of years ago.

Yes was great last time there, would rec to everyone

Just wondering what people think..i know a case of a few people arriving at a certain new chinese restaurant & asking for a table only to be looked up & down & told that they might be better off getting a takeaway because they were dressed in casual clothes. I was shocked about this, like surely they could hide them at a corner table or something out of the way but is that not just insulting people?!, hardly a good way to start out in business!

To make it relevant to this thread better say that i haven't eaten there myself but have heard only good reviews!

Wheres the restaurant?

J-Fit wrote: »
    Get your asses into La Taverna. It's awesome.
    do you mean la taberna? not quiet sure but where is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

nope he means la taverna,the italian on the high street opposite peter marks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

alco.29 wrote: »
    went to the imperial garden today the new chinese on the cork road and i have to say im well impressed. Got the early bird menu at 18.50 for four couses ya cant go wrong. The food was fantastic and the service was great. All round it was a pleasant experiece and will definitely go back....... Yummy

Hi, Does anyone know if this chinese is open?

I drove out there for lunch on Saturday but the place was locked up. Said on the banner above the door, open 7 days a weeke 12.30 pm - 23.30pm.
    This was around 2ish. So seeing as the chinese was closed, said Id walk round to fitzpatricks which was also closed? Said also on a sign open for lunch.

Any idea's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 thegoldenchild

sorrywhat wrote: »
    Hi, Does anyone know if this chinese is open?

I drove out there for lunch on Saturday but the place was locked up. Said on the banner above the door, open 7 days a weeke 12.30 pm - 23.30pm.
    This was around 2ish. So seeing as the chinese was closed, said Id walk round to fitzpatricks which was also closed? Said also on a sign open for lunch.

Any idea's?

No idea why they would have been closed on Saturday, very strange. They are definitely open, only got takeaway there last night. Drove past there on Saturday at about 3.30pm, and they looked as if they were open....strange that Fitzpatrick's were also closed....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 haydo333

I'd the early bird menu here last weekend. Food was unreal with a decent choice for the early bird which was only 14euro each for starter, main course and tea/coffee. Really good value and great service. I'll definitely be going back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Anybody try the Hairy Pig over the Exchange,menu looks very nice.3 courses and 5 pints 35 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

molby wrote: »
    Anybody try the Hairy Pig over the Exchange,menu looks very nice.3 courses and 5 pints 35 euro.

5 pints with your meal :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Only opening this Friday.. great value though.

menu is here if anyone wants a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

anybody get food from the re-opened Fan Dynasty over the Ulru? I wonder if its as nice as it was?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭daisy100

Looking for some suggestions for somewhere in town for an early-bird on sunday evening for my partners birthday , thanks smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

pub grub, becketts. la fontana for fine italian dining, or sabai for delicate thai.

Maybe the imperial garden (new-ish chinese on the manor) 4 courses for 17.50 as an early bird (before 7) & really nice if you're watching the pennies.

Otherwise l'atmosphere the french restaurant on henrietta street is lovely (quaint & romantic for a birthday) & they do a 3 course meal with a glass of wine for 20 euro & it's on all night, so might be worth a try.

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pinky1980

yes i did try the hairy pig the food is fab and the service was great the food is 5 star for the price i will definitely be back well done to all involved.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You wouldn't happen to be involved with this premises now would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Have had lunch in the new restaurant where the Wine Vault is, McLeary's, twice now thought it was fab. Also think New York Burger is great too.

• Advertisement

poppies2 wrote: »
    Have had lunch in the new restaurant where the Wine Vault is, McLeary's, twice now thought it was fab.

Im delighted to hear that, we have a meal booked for later on tonight, I ve heard quite a few good reports about the place, so looking forward to trying it for myself. I was a massive fan of the olde stand back in the day, and Ken and Kevin both ran the restaurant part of that, so hopefully it will be as good if not better.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Im delighted to hear that, we have a meal booked for later on tonight, I ve heard quite a few good reports about the place, so looking forward to trying it for myself. I was a massive fan of the olde stand back in the day, and Ken and Kevin both ran the restaurant part of that, so hopefully it will be as good if not better.

With you on the Olde Stand, we used to love it. Hope you have (are having!) a lovely time! A friend of mine has also had dinner there, went for the early bird and she loved it, she thought it was very good value.

Just home from an excellent night out, the food in Mclearys is only fabulous and offers excellent value for money, 4 starters, 4 main courses, 6 drinks, and 4 tea/coffees all for €120. The service was top class to.

Afterwards we headed into The front lounge, this was our first time in there also, really relaxing atmosphere on there and very reasonably priced also, €4 for their pints and bottles, very good for a city centre premises. Must say, when we left there after 1.30 the place was still buzzing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Just home from an excellent night out, the food in Mclearys is only fabulous and offers excellent value for money, 4 starters, 4 main courses, 6 drinks, and 4 tea/coffees all for €120. The service was top class to.

Afterwards we headed into The front lounge, this was our first time in there also, really relaxing atmosphere on there and very reasonably priced also, €4 for their pints and bottles, very good for a city centre premises. Must say, when we left there after 1.30 the place was still buzzing.

Definitely gonna give that restaurant a whirl soon. Its getting great reviews here and elsewhere.

Where's the Front Lounge again?

The front lounge is where twister vicks used to be, just down from the woodman, one of the regular contributors on here, "abouttobebanned" in involved with the running of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Went for a meal in Bodega the other night and I'm going to go against the grain here and say that it was the worst service I ever saw in a formal dining setting. Each table is equipped with service buzzers that you press if you require service. Such a system is woefully inadequate as is discourages waiters from, y'know, waiting on their tables and instead just hang around by their counter and wait for people to run out of water, ask for the cutlery they didn't get, ask for the milk they didn't get, ask for the specials that they weren't told about etc.

They also didn't have any Beef or Lamb which I found to be a complete and utter joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just went for lunch in Sabai earlier. Starter and main course for €14.50 which I think is fantastic value. Chicken Satay skewers for starters with a wonderful peanut based sauce and a creamy Vietnamese curry for mains for myself. Very attentive and chatty waiting staff (but not in the over the top and fake manner) even as the place got busy! It was my first time there because I've never really been a fan of Thai food but it's a wonderful setting for a restaurant and the cosy atmosphere makes it a nice place to enjoy your food.

Have pretty much gone through the menu in Sabai at this stage, never lets ya down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭deisemum

My friends and I went to Sabai a while back and everyone of us were very disappointed with it. Extremely poor service and the food was a mess, maybe they were having a bad night but none of us will go back.

I went to Lime Leaf recently and everything was lovely.

Looking forward to trying McLeary's in the near future.

deisemum wrote: »
    My friends and I went to Sabai a while back and everyone of us were very disappointed with it. Extremely poor service and the food was a mess, maybe they were having a bad night but none of us will go back.

I went to Lime Leaf recently and everything was lovely.

Looking forward to trying McLeary's in the near future.

Im absolutely shocked by that deisemum!

Of course everyone can have a bad night i guess, I would urge you to consider giving it another go though at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

AdMMM wrote: »
    Went for a meal in Bodega the other night and I'm going to go against the grain here and say that it was the worst service I ever saw in a formal dining setting. Each table is equipped with service buzzers that you press if you require service. Such a system is woefully inadequate as is discourages waiters from, y'know, waiting on their tables and instead just hang around by their counter and wait for people to run out of water, ask for the cutlery they didn't get, ask for the milk they didn't get, ask for the specials that they weren't told about etc.

They also didn't have any Beef or Lamb which I found to be a complete and utter joke!

Had the same experience there a while back. really bad service. I asked could i have rice instead of spuds on a dish and was given a big "NO, we dont do rice"!

Wont be going back there.

The buzzer thing is pretty weird too.

I think the service in Bodega is dire too, it would put me off going again to be honest even though anytime we went there the food was lovely. Is the buzzer a new thing?

Has anyone been to La Palma recently? Going there this weekend :)

La Palma is in my top 3 or 4 restaurants in the city, never had a complaint there

La Palma is in my top 3 or 4 restaurants in the city, never had a complaint there

thanks Kryogen, that's good to know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

The early bird in La Palma at €25 is wonderful value. For a €3 supplement try the rib eye steak. Well worth the money. My only quibble, and it's a very minor one, is that the lighting is quite dim. This might suit some people perfectly well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement