Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

I have to say another +1 for New York Burger Co. I had been there a good few times and absolutely loved the place and so decided to make that the kick off point for my 30th a few months ago. So I booked and 14 of us arrived one Saturday night to eat. We all had about 5 mixed platters of starters between us just to have some food to pick at while we waited for the main event! The service was excellent all evening with the South African guy who owns the place looking after us personally. Then my partner had asked them to arrange a cake so we had a giant chocolate fudge cake. Once I had blown out my candles they took away thencake and dished it all up properly with cream etc as opposed to just letting a bunch of half cut 30 year olds just lump it all out onto plates!! Without being asked they had also decorated the place with Happy Birthday banners etc and everyone had Happy Birthday napkins. The bill came to about €220 including the cake and probably an average of 2 drinks a head so we all just threw in twenty and left a good tip.

I LOVE going there, especially their Baa Baa Blaa (the lamb burger) is absolutely gorge! If I'm getting a beef burger it'll probably be a Miss Piggy but that's just because I'm a sucker for an egg in a burger. Also if you haven't had the onion rings, then order them. They're not printed on the menu (unless it's been updated recently) but they're always up on the specials board. God, I think I'm going to have to go there for lunch today now.....drools everywhere!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

^ I think I might too :)
    is that the new place by the park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

old gregg wrote: »
    indeed if someone comes onto this or any other forum and says that they've received shoddy service, complained to the manager and received an unsatisfactory response then it's probably as clear cut as can be ascertained in the absence of being present and you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Coming onto a public forum and naming and shaming a local business without receiving any response from the management is hardly the same thing. Actually, anyone can come on here and name and shame any business they don't like (or their competitors) if thats' the case.

I've never been into the named establishment nor have any idea as to the identity of any involved but am uncomfortable with unverified and anonymous complaints against a reputable local business especially during the tourist season.

And if it's all true and they are providing a shoddy service? Once the truth is public, then fine let's all complain. In the absence of proof then it's a case of tread gently and beware of the legalities I'd reckon.

i reallyt hink you need to read my op again as I think I was fair to the restaurant. I always loved going to L'atmosphere the food, service and value was excellent but I think on a discussion form I have the right to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

I have no interest in trying to bring down a business or do it harm as you seem to be implying.
    Also what does it matter if it is the touist seaon there was a total of 10 people in restaurant including us so it is not like it was hectic. Anyway if it was busy I would have had no problem if she had come over and said look there may be a bit of a wait in taking order etc but being totally ignored is uncalled for. You want proof well sorry I do not have an independent person there with me to come and back up all I say or maybe you want everyone to video record their meals out just in case and YouTube it then.:confused:

If I was a restaurrrant critic what do you think would have been published. I did not say anything liable all I wrote was about my bad and very unusual experience. Fredom of speech and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Well as promised I said I would reply when I talked to my friend. She called the restaurant the next day and the manager was not there so she left her number and was told he would return her call. It was a day later by time she got a call from the manager. So my friend explained the situation to him, she was very polite and explained that she had never had a problem there before and was surprised by it and annoyed as being ignored is never good for business. He seemed a bit surprised at what she told him but said he would follow up on it and get owner to call her back in a couple of days. So she hopes to get that call today.

So that is something and at least they are taking it seriously (hopefully). You woudl hate to see a business being damaged by one member of staff.

Yup. Directly opposite the main entrance next to the Canton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lisam22

Trotter wrote: »
    With so many threads popping up about eating out in Waterford, and requests for nice places to go, I figured it might be an idea to have a thread that brings together up to date information about the best of Waterford Restaurants this year. Its a tough time to be running a restaurant or cafe I imagine, but theres a few out there that are still doing a great job.

Personally, I've been to Bodega twice with my wife for early bird in the last few weeks. I had the burger for main course and the chocolate & raspberry dessert. The service was excellent and there was a lovely atmosphere in there. It didn't cost the world either. We kept it to two courses each and with a drink each also came out with change from €50. No complaints here!!

I went to Bodega once and would never go back again! the food was not great my steak was soooo overdone could not eat it and worst of all there was a man spitting on the ground every few minutes!! I know this is not the retaurants fault but i sure the waiters saw him and never said anything. yuck:eek:

I once got a cooked ladybird in my dinner in the place opposite the cinema (I think it's called 31 or something). The chef came out and was mortified and really apologetic. I totally accepted his apology but declined his offer of another portion of casserole since I presumed it was from the same batch and the poor ladybird was missing all his legs. No doubt they were scattered through the rest of the batch. I know a ladybird never killed anyone but still it's a very unappetizing thing to have turn up in your dinner!

Not strictly for here but still, I once got a cigarette butt in my dinner in a huge pub / carvery place in Cork's city centre. I threw a proper strop going to the head of the carvery queue to proclaim my findings as loudly as I could to the staff and cleared the whole queue in one go! The manager was extremely upset about it and offered me a new dinner. I didn't want one as I felt sick to be honest because I'd eaten half of the first one before I discovered the cigarette! He did however supply my then boyfriend and I with free alcohol for the rest of the afternoon! I never went back as I don't see how he could have isolated the perpetrator from he kitchen staff-the place is huge and does a roaring food trade so here must have been loads of food staff. I just didn't want to be eating somewhere where someone like that probably still worked!

On the positive side, I got them to make me a paninni in the Uluru the other day with no butter or mayo, but roast beef from the carvery, stuffing also from the carvery and gravy-you guessed it, also from the carvery! It was the mightiest thing I've eaten in yonks! I was dyingwith a hangover at the time and that paninni, the side of chips and a pint of coke sorted me right out!

Also I wish Goosers that used to be where l'Atmosphere is now wasn't gone. I loved every single thing on their menu. It was a great place for a dedicated carnivore like me! What does everyone think is the best place for a good slab of meat nowadays in Waterford? I have a jones for a really really good plate of ribs in the near future!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭alco.29

went to the imperial garden today the new chinese on the cork road and i have to say im well impressed. Got the early bird menu at 18.50 for four couses ya cant go wrong. The food was fantastic and the service was great. All round it was a pleasant experiece and will definitely go back....... Yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I once got a cooked ladybird in my dinner in the place opposite the cinema (I think it's called 31 or something). The chef came out and was mortified and really apologetic. I totally accepted his apology but declined his offer of another portion of casserole since I presumed it was from the same batch and the poor ladybird was missing all his legs. No doubt they were scattered through the rest of the batch. I know a ladybird never killed anyone but still it's a very unappetizing thing to have turn up in your dinner!

Not strictly for here but still, I once got a cigarette butt in my dinner in a huge pub / carvery place in Cork's city centre. I threw a proper strop going to the head of the carvery queue to proclaim my findings as loudly as I could to the staff and cleared the whole queue in one go! The manager was extremely upset about it and offered me a new dinner. I didn't want one as I felt sick to be honest because I'd eaten half of the first one before I discovered the cigarette! He did however supply my then boyfriend and I with free alcohol for the rest of the afternoon! I never went back as I don't see how he could have isolated the perpetrator from he kitchen staff-the place is huge and does a roaring food trade so here must have been loads of food staff. I just didn't want to be eating somewhere where someone like that probably still worked!

On the positive side, I got them to make me a paninni in the Uluru the other day with no butter or mayo, but roast beef from the carvery, stuffing also from the carvery and gravy-you guessed it, also from the carvery! It was the mightiest thing I've eaten in yonks! I was dyingwith a hangover at the time and that paninni, the side of chips and a pint of coke sorted me right out!

Also I wish Goosers that used to be where l'Atmosphere is now wasn't gone. I loved every single thing on their menu. It was a great place for a dedicated carnivore like me! What does everyone think is the best place for a good slab of meat nowadays in Waterford? I have a jones for a really really good plate of ribs in the near future!

I think I know the place in Cork that you're on about as it's popular anytime I've eaten there, if it's the same place. Yuck.

If you want nice steak there's a steakhouse in Tramore where Bellisimo used to be.

deisemum wrote: »
    I think I know the place in Cork that you're on about as it's popular anytime I've eaten there, if it's the same place. Yuck.

If you want nice steak there's a steakhouse in Tramore where Bellisimo used to be.

Cool thanks. Steakhouses generally tend to have ribs on the menu I think so I may have to check that place in Tramore out!

• Advertisement

Cool thanks. Steakhouses generally tend to have ribs on the menu I think so I may have to check that place in Tramore out!

I cannot remember if there were ribs on the menu but there was a selection of steaks. It might be worth phoning and checking if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

deisemum wrote: »
    I cannot remember if there were ribs on the menu but there was a selection of steaks. It might be worth phoning and checking if they do.

They have ribs on the menu as a starter, or as part of a combo main course.

Lovely restaurant - nice food and setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I have to disagree with you coming on here ranting about a bad experience in the restaurant but yet you didn’t feel strongly enough at the time to call the Manager or owner (as he is usually in the kitchen) and complain?

You should have called the Manager or owner and told them how you felt at the time and I’m sure something would have been done to accommodate you. I was a regular in there for 2-3years (going at least once a week) as the early bird menu (€20 for starter/main/desert/ and glass of wine) is without doubt the best value restaurant night out in Ireland. But over the last year I have started going to Cafe Goa as I also love Indian food and I find the food and service there also very good and when you become a regular they REALLY take care of you(2 big glasses of wine free each night).

On Wednesday I went back to L’atmosphere for the early bird as I fancied a change. My wife is also vegan so when we go in we ask for the owner and he always comes out to see as and discuss what he is going to make up for her. Anyway I ordered the egg mimosa for starter which was excellent as it was light yet full of flavour, also on the plate was some slivers of very expensive Parma ham and proper mixed salad leafs (not iceberg lettuce) . The main I ordered the Beef in a pot (can’t remember the name), very similar to an Irish stew. This arrived and I expected a small portion as its only costing about €7 when u factor it into the early bird...the lid was lifted and it was a great big portion and full with flavour again. For desert I had meringue with homemade ice cream which was top notch. I also ordered a bottle of red wine and 2 desert wines. But genuinely it was the best meal I have had this year...And I’ve been to Paris, Italy and Thailand this year.

I felt that as I enjoyed the meal so much I would tell the kitchen staff as its comments like this that keep them banging out food to a high standard and a little praise goes a long way. By the was I have owned my own restaurant and also worked in 5 star hotels in management positions, and I also eat out a lot so I have a fair idea of what good food tastes like lol.

For some reason us Irish never complain when we should and bitch loads afterwards. The next time you have a problem in a restaurant call the manager or owner and tell them so they can do something about it...otherwise they just don’t know...!!!

I don't think L’atmosphere's food is very nice at all, La Boheme is really the only place to go if you want to visit an excellent French restaurant. I went to L’atmosphere's a couple of times and I wouldn't go back. 1 off night can just be bad luck but 2 means I am not going back

Also if a person pays for a certain level of service, food, etc and they don't feel they have received value for money, they are under no obligation to make themselves even more uncomfortable by complaining and there is enough choice out there, people can just vote with there feet.

It not the customers job to make sure a business is aware of problems, its the manager's, owners, etc.

I have never been to Cafe Goa but I am going to give it a try over the weekend - hope its nice

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭daisy100

Went to L'atmosphere with my family last weekend, we decided on the early bird menu - €20 each for 3 courses and a glass of wine. The food was absolutely beautiful, just one problem, the portions were very very small. 3 of us chose a beef dish, and it came out in one big pot with 3 spoons. we literally got 2 spponfulls each, although it tasted beautiful we were very disapointed with the place and we left hungry. It wasn't just our table either, another group came in after us and ordered the same dish as us and there reactions to the small portions were the same as ours. I had heard great things about l'atmosphere and read lots of reviews on it but I don't think anyone of us will be going back there again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 haydo333

Hi there,

Just wondering can someone recommend a good Indian restaurant in Waterford city please? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Kashmir indian restaurant on the high street is very good, as is cafe goa beside dooleys hotel. The take-away by riverwalk(between superquinn and the folly) is good too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 haydo333

Cheers Dermo909, really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

haydo333 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering can someone recommend a good Indian restaurant in Waterford city please? Thanks :)

Café Goa and EastEnders (both on the Quay - Goa is near the bus station and EE is up by Rice bridge).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Cant recommend Eastenders highly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Hi all. We've got the in-laws over from the UK and they were looking to have dinner somewhere that's both a traditional Irish pub and a restaurant - I've racked my brain and the only place I can think of is The Thatch, but that's a bit too far out - we'd like a few drinks and the cost of a taxi would be too much.

Can anyone suggest anywhere nearer to the city? Dunmore and Tramore would be OK too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi all. We've got the in-laws over from the UK and they were looking to have dinner somewhere that's both a traditional Irish pub and a restaurant - I've racked my brain and the only place I can think of is The Thatch, but that's a bit too far out - we'd like a few drinks and the cost of a taxi would be too much.

Can anyone suggest anywhere nearer to the city? Dunmore and Tramore would be OK too.

How about Fitzpatrick's on the Cork Road? I presume it's still in operation. It's not exactly a traditional Irish pub but it looks nice, the food is good and it's very close to town. Jack Meade's is another option I guess. I don't really know. It depends on how traditional you want the pub to be I guess and you also want it to be a restaurant rather than eating pub grub in a traditional pub I think yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Meades under the bridge?

http://www.jackmeades.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

T&H Doolans
    Either of the McAlpins in Cheekpoint
    Spinakker Dunmore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. They ended up going to The Seahorse in Tramore (which they loved!)

They are looking to go to greyhound track tonight and have booked the Masters restaurant package for €29.99 pp, which includes a four course meal, admission, racecard, tableside tote and drinks service. Sounds like a good deal....has anyone eaten at Masters restaurant and if so, what did ye think of it?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. They ended up going to The Seahorse in Tramore (which they loved!)

They are looking to go to greyhound track tonight and have booked the Masters restaurant package for €29.99 pp, which includes a four course meal, admission, racecard, tableside tote and drinks service. Sounds like a good deal....has anyone eaten at Masters restaurant and if so, what did ye think of it?

I managed to have an awful experience there last year. It was a Christmas night out for work. The night started out with the racing being called off due to the ground being frozen. But they had screens up and said we could watch the racing from Harold's Cross and use the Tote for that so that was fine. The signal ended up going off for the middle four races of that too! But that's all outsside of their control so can't blame them for that.

Unfortunately the things in their control were also very poor. The service was very slow. The place was freezing. The food was poor. Maybe all of that can be explained away by it being Christmas time. Maybe not. I don't think the food is ever going to be anything spectacular out there but will hopefully be ok for them. The night overall is supposed to be very good fun and decent value for €30.

I've been to The Master's Restaurant at the dogs a number of times and everything was lovely, couldn't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I've had a good craic any time I've been out there, never been disappointed with the service either. A lot of my friends and workmates would say the same

Like I said, Christmas was probably a bad time to judge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Went to Azzurro in Dunmore East for my birthday lastnite & just had to spread the good word about the place. The atmosphere was so cosy, relaxed & sophisticated, it’s really lovely. The menu is really versatile-loads of price options-like €17.50 for 2course & €22.50 for 3 courses as well as general a la carte options. I’m a vegan and they rustled together gorgeous, imaginative & really yummy food 4me that wasn’t just the typical salad & stirfry-I had the most gorgeous risotto-really fragrant, light & made surprisingly meaty by the addition of a variety of mushrooms & sundried tomato. It was hearty, yet light & refreshing beause of the gorgeous herbs & fresh peas. The olives side dish is only €2.50-& it’s huge! Loads of lovely garlicky grissini, drizzled with herbs & olive oil, coupled with a big portion of mixed olives & black olive tapenade (has anchovies in it-so obviously not for veggies). My husband who loves meat & fish, enjoyed my black olive tapenade with a big selection of complimentary homemade bread, a kingsize bowl of mussels for starters, a seafood pizza for mains-which was really generous with really fresh fish & capers & a dreamy chocolate brownie & custard for dessert. The portions were really big, the ingredients seemed to be of the best quality & the service was excellent-really knowledgeable, friendly & most of all efficient & professional. Go there-It’s so fabulous, reasonably priced, ideal for a romantic meal out, a nite out 4d girls, to celebrate family occasions etc etc-it’s for everyone!We were a little reluctant to go there in the past as we imagined it would be stuffy, over priced & pretentious, we were sooo wrong. I genuinely couldn’t fault it & it’s ideal for people on a serious budget-lookin 4 a casual nite out or for serious foodies lookin for a fantastic meal.We love love loved it!! reasonably priced wine also-& excellent quantity & variety.Just to say aswell-if u hav special dietary requirements-this is an ideal place also-as I said when I told them I’m vegan they were more than welcoming & willing to cater to me in an imaginative & interesting way, which is soo important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

^^^^^^^^^^^ Your birthday is in August Ian!

Advertisement