Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm no fan of McGinley but for some couch potato to be calling his golfing career achievements nothing is laughable.
    He knows lots about the game and is obviously highly respected or he would never have been a Ryder Cup captain.
    His big problem is he is too nice for tv commentary.

My point is that his achievements in the game bear nlation to the level he is talking about, he is in the studio talking about the psychology and mentality required to win majors, but hardly won anything himself. Its not a dislike for the man, just a reflection on the coverage, that the way he goes on you would think he was Tom Watson, but nobody ever pulls them on it. It's the same with the cricket coverage, ex players with not much in the book, talking as if they were Don Bradman.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

My point is that his achievements in the game bear nlation to the level he is talking about, he is in the studio talking about the psychology and mentality required to win majors, but hardly won anything himself. Its not a dislike for the man, just a reflection on the coverage, that the way he goes on you would think he was Tom Watson, but nobody ever pulls them on it. It's the same with the cricket coverage, ex players with not much in the book, talking as if they were Don Bradman.

How many sports psychologists have won majors?

Maybe it's something he enjoys and reads up on and having been on tour for so long maybe he can talk from experience and if his psychology and mentality was better he'd have done better.

Like every pundit in every sport on sky they tow the stations line for fear of being dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think you're a bit harsh on McGinley. You don't need to be a multiple major winner to understand the facets of the professional game and what it takes. Several European tour wins is pretty much top level by anyones standard. The margins are quite tight at the top and even a top 500 player would look like god playing in our monthly medal. So a 5 times winner and Ryder Cup captain is maybe not Tiger Woods but its pretty high up there in the general hierarchy.

Its the same in footie. You'd think someone like for example John O'Shea would only be moderately talented but thats because you see him against his top level peers. If he played in a local league game he'd look like Maradona. Many football managers didn't have distinguished playing careers but they've been close enough to understand what's going on at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ah, so by that criteria you must be a big fan of Faldo in the booth?

GreeBo wrote: »
    ah, so by that criteria you must be a big fan of Faldo in the booth?

He would be more qualified to talk about the process of winning for sure, he's OK at the job as well, so not too bad, but like the poster said above, they all toe the line, so I suppose turn the sound down if I don't like it. It's just that they never call poor shots or bad behavior. Rickie Fowler gets criticism from them, but DeChambeau doesnt, even though Rickie does great work off the course, and has had success on it. I know he's not won a major, but I live in hope. The man is a really great ambassador for the game, and has popularised it among a younger generation, that's the type of thing that should be applauded, but instead we have John Rahm and Bryson, two spoilt children, and nobody calling out their poor behaviour. I think they should call penalties like code violations in tennis, Sergio Garcia is another one, but I'm veering off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Mc Ginley is one I can't warm to him at all. He is one for the one liners and repeating himself about them in the studio. Especially around the psychology of game. One week he seems to be in love with Rory next he is nailing him.

He has done well for himself. Won his first event from a mile back after posting a 60 or something. I'd put him in the always comfortable in keeping his card but couldn't really make that next step up to contend in the big events bar the odd couple. I don't think he did enough to get Ryder Cup captain and I'd put Bjorn in that category also. Right place and right time probably helped him.

Roe can't stand him also.

I like radar and Beemer. He'll be missed when goes to champions tour. Coltart isn't bad either. Not afraid to take digs at Bryson. Nick is another that has fallen on his feet with Sky.

Boxie isn't bad either.

Murray can have his moments of shut up please.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    He has done well for himself. Won his first event from a mile back after posting a 60 or something. I'd put him in the always comfortable in keeping his card but couldn't really make that next step up to contend in the big events bar the odd couple. I don't think he did enough to get Ryder Cup captain and I'd put Bjorn in that category also. Right place and right time probably helped him.

He got Ryder Cup because he does/did a huge amount for the players behind the scenes, was the player rep for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ridiculous arguments by mystery.
    Alex Ferguson, Jurgen Klopp and Pepp. 3 nothing players when it came to football, so naturally they would make sh1te managers..... sure they weren’t good enough to play at the top level (unlike McKinley who did compete at the top level in his sport) so of course they really should be only good enough to manage Vauxhall conference league teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Bruce Critchley, Ewen Murray and David Livingstone.

Those were the days.

He got Ryder Cup because he does/did a huge amount for the players behind the scenes, was the player rep for a number of years.

That is fair enough but would you say the same if it was Philip Price. Paul Lawrie should be ahead of him as captain.
    Seve OB wrote: »
    Alex Ferguson, Jurgen Klopp and Pepp. 3 nothing players when it came to football, so naturally they would make sh1te managers..... sure they weren’t good enough to play at the top level (unlike McKinley who did compete at the top level in his sport) so of course they really should be only good enough to manage Vauxhall conference league teams.

You can't compare Ryder Cup captain to football manager. Roles are completely different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seve OB wrote: »

Uhm. Are you getting mixed up calling Pep a nothing player? Multiple La Liga titles and a consistent starter for Barca for years. Nearly 50 Spain caps etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

callaway92 wrote: »
    Uhm. Are you getting mixed up calling Pep a nothing player? Multiple La Liga titles and a consistent starter for Barca for years. Nearly 50 Spain caps etc too.

Handy golfer as well!

That is fair enough but would you say the same if it was Philip Price. Paul Lawrie should be ahead of him as captain.

Why would Laurie be ahead of him?
    Perhaps if you only see the captains position as honorary and not being a skill in its own right that would make sense, its like an award, but many people including myself wouldnt see it that way at all.

Not following your Phillip Price question tbh.

Why would Laurie be ahead of him?
    Perhaps if you only see the captains position as honorary and not being a skill in its own right that would make sense, its like an award, but many people including myself wouldnt see it that way at all.

Not following your Phillip Price question tbh.

It is an honorary thing. Just look at the vast majority of captains.

If Philip price did the same things behind the seens like Paul would you give him the captain role

It is an honorary thing. Just look at the vast majority of captains.

If Philip price did the same things behind the seens like Paul would you give him the captain role

Question makes no sense tbh.
    He didn't do them so he didn't get the role. If McGinley hadn't done it he wouldn't have got the role either.

Question makes no sense tbh.
    He didn't do them so he didn't get the role. If McGinley hadn't done it he wouldn't have got the role either.

If he did would you agree to him been a captain. I seriously doubt it. Your think captain should be based on what they do off the course.

It’s great that we can both have different opinions

No, I think it's based on the overall view of the person, on and off the course.
    Sometimes it's more about their success on (faldo) sometimes it's more off (McGinley)
    Sometimes it's neither (Clarke)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No, I think it's based on the overall view of the person, on and off the course.
    Sometimes it's more about their success on (faldo) sometimes it's more off (McGinley)
    Sometimes it's neither (Clarke)

Harsh on Clarke, he was twice the player McGinley was.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Harsh on Clarke, he was twice the player McGinley was.

Have we not already decided that McGinley wasn't much of a player??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Mc Ginley is one I can't warm to him at all. He is one for the one liners and repeating himself about them in the studio. Especially around the psychology of game. One week he seems to be in love with Rory next he is nailing him.

Roe can't stand him also.

I like radar and Beemer. He'll be missed when goes to champions tour. Coltart isn't bad either. Not afraid to take digs at Bryson. Nick is another that has fallen on his feet with Sky.

Boxie isn't bad either.

Murray can have his moments of shut up please.

Bjorn is one of the most successful players in the history of the European tour. He was also one of the only European threats to win majors between Lawrie in '99 and Harrington in '07, and was very close to getting over the lines on 3 occasions. The only European players with more wins in Europe that have not been Ryder Cup captain are Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood, Sandy Lyle & MA Jimenez.

2 of those 4 are still playing fairly competitively and will almost certainly get a squeak. Jimenez is still very competitive for his age and probably pays a bit for his limited skills in English (a sadly negative point against the way these things go) as well as his probable lower interest in doing the job. Lyle missed the boat and doesn't seem like a guy others would have rallied for anyway.

McGinley was much less of a stellar candidate but 5 wins is nothing to be sniffed at either. He got on those RC teams on merit, and was an asset to the 3 RC contests he was part of, and won. He didn't just get the captaincy because of his quality as a player, if it did it would have gone to somebody else. He played the game in getting the role and when he got it he didn't let anybody down. His captaincy was a roaring success.

I would agree with the idea that his profile now success he was a bigger player in the world of golf than his regular Tour career really was, so for that I say fair point. He's in the media business now though so a part of that deal in promoting yourself in the best possible way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If there's a bigger spoofer out there other than McGinley...

PARlance wrote: »
    If there's a bigger spoofer out there other than McGinley...

Radar.... if we are talking spoofer

Radar.... if we are talking spoofer

What about Mark Roe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

They all obey orders. Radar's are to be entertaining. Mark Roe's were to talk up Tiger (a job he seems to have passed to Coltart). McGinley's job is to help Sarah make sense of it all, which he does quite well.

McGinley knows the game and the tour backwards and I'd love to hear him speak his mind. Won't happen unfortunately but he's the best of them nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

At one point yesterday, Radar spoke at length about what a fantastic putter that Morikawa is. One of the best in the game.

McGinley comes in next and spoke at length about what a terrible putter Morikawa is. How its the worst part of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,057 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Justin Thomas turns the air blue. Cue half the wholesome golf-watching parents of America

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

JT is number one in the world rankings and also the f-bomb rankings for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

JT is number one in the world rankings and also the f-bomb rankings for the week

The way sky ****themselves when someone curses is completely OTT. I mean, are we really that sensitive as viewers.

Is it really hard for Radar to do some research on the players if he is goinng to commentate on them

• Advertisement

Is it really hard for Radar to do some research on the players if he is goinng to commentate on them

Advertisement