Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The host broadcasters are awful, they show Brooks hitting a drive when he's 7 off the lead yet they don't show the 2nd shot of DJ at 14 which led to a bogey and could prove crucial. Terrible coverage.

And then we see a Brooks par putt from 3 feet away to remain 7 off the lead. Jokeshop

• Registered Users Posts: 37,558 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rikand wrote:
    At one point yesterday, Radar spoke at length about what a fantastic putter that Morikawa is. One of the best in the game.

McGinley comes in next and spoke at length about what a terrible putter Morikawa is. How its the worst part of his game.
    Well Radar was spoofing there.

Even after his great putting performance at the PGA he's still -.121 in shots gained putting down in 141st place on the PGA tour.

El Sueño wrote: »
    The host broadcasters are awful, they show Brooks hitting a drive when he's 7 off the lead yet they don't show the 2nd shot of DJ at 14 which led to a bogey and could prove crucial. Terrible coverage.

And then we see a Brooks par putt from 3 feet away to remain 7 off the lead. Jokeshop

Always been the way, American TV footage focuses on the yanks no matter what. I had a bet on Els to win some tournament about 12 years ago and he ended up second to Mickelson, but they showed practically all of Phil's shots and very little of the Big Easy. I also remember Peter Alliss apologising for the fact they were showing practically every second of Woods in one tournament while ignoring even the eventual winners in terms of coverage.

Always been the way, American TV footage focuses on the yanks no matter what. I had a bet on Els to win some tournament about 12 years ago and he ended up second to Mickelson, but they showed practically all of Phil's shots and very little of the Big Easy. I also remember Peter Alliss apologising for the fact they were showing practically every second of Woods in one tournament while ignoring even the eventual winners in terms of coverage.

The funny thing is on Sunday nearly everyone at the top of the leaderboard was American yet they were showing the wrong Americans! Missing DJ's second to 14 and his tee off on 16 (which went in the hazard I believe) was criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Love the way McGinley keeps mentioning Eamon Darcy. How many Sky Sports viewers will even have heard of him?:P

• Advertisement

20 minutes in and I'm already sick of Nick Dougherty

20 minutes in and I'm already sick of Nick Dougherty
    Yeah I'm pretty fed up of him myself. He really offers very little.

It's been painful watching nearly a full hour of the two lads standing there waffling, I can't remember a single thing either of them said.

They should bring on Beem or Butch, they might at least say something interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's been painful watching nearly a full hour of the two lads standing there waffling, I can't remember a single thing either of them said.

They should bring on Beem or Butch, they might at least say something interesting.

In fairness it's very difficult to keep talking when nothing is happening for them to talk about...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I actually like Nick and Paul.

• Advertisement

I actually like Nick and Paul.
    Good for you and I'm sure there's others like you.
    I've no problem with McGinley btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭allybhoy

GreeBo wrote: »
    In fairness it's very difficult to keep talking when nothing is happening for them to talk about...

Well they could talk about other players, perfect chance to talk about other players chances and current form apart from Bryson Tiger or Rory though..

GreeBo wrote: »

Ah ya absolutely, it can't be easy, I'd just prefer them to mix it up a little bit, funnily enough they did exactly that not long after I posted, they had a bit of swing analysis and putting analysis which was a lot more interesting.

Is the picture breaking up now and then for other people or is it just me? Sound is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surely sky won't keep paying to bring the commentators over to Augusta each year, seems to be working just as well remotely.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Surely sky won't keep paying to bring the commentators over to Augusta each year, seems to be working just as well remotely.

I'm not sure, there's definitely been sound issues today, Butch was a good 3 or 4 seconds behind the pictures we were seeing

I thought Butch was supposed to be retired

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I thought Butch was supposed to be retired

Has done the masters last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Remind me wrote: »
    Has done the masters last couple of years

I know he's getting on in years but he's noticeably a bit less sharp this year. Still a big fan of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Anyone else think the yellow shot tracer is not a transparent as you'd like against the sky? You can make it out but the eyes have to work a bit harder.

• Advertisement

I know he's getting on in years .

Still a spring chicken next to Peter Alliss:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I'm not sure, there's definitely been sound issues today, Butch was a good 3 or 4 seconds behind the pictures we were seeing

I found this very off putting when he reacted to a shot several seconds after the ball had stopped. I was wondering if it was indeed a delay based on being remote or just his advanced years

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I found this very off putting when he reacted to a shot several seconds after the ball had stopped. I was wondering if it was indeed a delay based on being remote or just his advanced years

Butch is in Vegas and the rest of them are in London. According to 'Statto McGinley' it took a lot of work in the background to get him set up to be able to work with them at all. Even the guys in London are all in different booths etc for social distancing so not their normal setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Does anybody know what the plan is for today's coverage? Will we get to see full coverage of the players still playing their first round or will it just be featured groups?

Does anybody know what the plan is for today's coverage? Will we get to see full coverage of the players still playing their first round or will it just be featured groups?

I think it's full coverage from 12:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Exactly wrote: »
    I think it's full coverage from 12:30.

A decision to be made so!!!:cool:

A decision to be made so!!!:cool:

It's the right call ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

Still a spring chicken next to Peter Alliss:p

I don't know about others, but I got a bit of a shock when I saw Peter Alliss on the BBC last night. He's 89 now and didn't look well at all.

So we're back to watching featured groups for a few hours now? In this day and age you'd think they'd allow full TV coverage similar to the Open. Especially given the year that's in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Jesus McGinley loves to hate on McIlroy

Advertisement