Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carton House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ah_go_on wrote: »
    That’s not bad considering the quality of courses and amenities. Makes you wonder how some clubs expect new members to cough up €5k + annual for an inferior package.

What clubs? And why do you think they are offering an inferior package?

I think each of the courses at carton are cracking. The facilities are second to none.

It’s a resort course though and that doesn’t really interest me. I’d much rather pay 5k hello money and join a members club.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Seve OB wrote: »

I think each of the courses at carton are cracking. The facilities are second to none.

It’s a resort course though and that doesn’t really interest me. I’d much rather pay 5k hello money and join a members club.

The likes of Newlands or hermitage are ones that come to mind. I get your point about resort Vs members club etc. though. It is however a lot of bread for the privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I find the O'Meara very bland, apart from a couple of signature holes towards the end, wouldn't go out of my way to play.

The likes of Newlands or hermitage are ones that come to mind. I get your point about resort Vs members club etc. though. It is however a lot of bread for the privilege.

as clubs go, they are 2 well established and very good clubs. streets ahead of carton

as clubs go, they are 2 well established and very good clubs. streets ahead of carton

Thanks. In your opinion would hermitage be worth the €5k entry? I suppose I’d be concerned if it dropped soon after joining but I suppose there will always be demand.

• Advertisement

Thanks. In your opinion would hermitage be worth the €5k entry? I suppose I’d be concerned if it dropped soon after joining but I suppose there will always be demand.

Absolutely, all day long. I don’t think they will be dropping it anytime soon. We are not in recession anymore, and even when we were, lots of these types of clubs never dropped the joining fee. Also if you are thinking about joining them ask what options are available. I know some clubs don’t actually look for all the hello money up front,

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Absolutely, all day long. I don’t think they will be dropping it anytime soon. We are not in recession anymore, and even when we were, lots of these types of clubs never dropped the joining fee. Also if you are thinking about joining them ask what options are available. I know some clubs don’t actually look for all the hello money up front,

Hermitage entry fee can be paid off over 3 years. Annual sub of €1,400. €400 Bar & Restaurant levy and €100 levy towards the development of the new bunkers on the back 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I played with a couple of new members of my club which has a joining fee. One of them had left Carton after paying €30k (at peak), it was a 40 minute drive from where he lived so rarely played it and 5 mins from our club so could go up and play a few holes in the evening if so desired.
    In the city it is all about location, location, location. Big selling point if golf course with active membership is only a couple of mins from where you live.
    Played Montgomerie last year, rough was cut down, found it just a big empty field with massive bunkers. 18th was the only halfway memorable hole.

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I played with a couple of new members of my club which has a joining fee. One of them had left Carton after paying €30k (at peak), it was a 40 minute drive from where he lived so rarely played it and 5 mins from our club so could go up and play a few holes in the evening if so desired.
    In the city it is all about location, location, location. Big selling point if golf course with active membership is only a couple of mins from where you live.
    Played Montgomerie last year, rough was cut down, found it just a big empty field with massive bunkers. 18th was the only halfway memorable hole.

Thanks, you make a lot of sense. I’m gonna have to start saving my pennies now :)

Thanks, you make a lot of sense. I’m gonna have to start saving my pennies now :)

Yep alot depends on your situation/free time etc. My course is bloody expensive in comparison to alot of courses which are say 15/20 mins away and especially in my 20's when cash was tight (still is) and I was playing other sports during the winter considered giving it up. Glad I didn't as now get great value out of the club, in the summer I can be sitting on my couch at 8pm on a nice evening and then decide to go up and play holes etc. Also there is a great vibe up in club with lots going on which is great.
    In recent years I have started to play alot more opens and some great courses like Carton/Palmerstown/Powerscourt etc. Quite a few of them, I felt like golf was an add on to the hotel and there was no real golf vibe.
    Alot of those courses I felt most of the membership were golfpark members, they played their golf and went straight home. Alot of them would play with same lads each week and very rarely if ever go into the clubhouse (if there was a dedicated one) afterwards. There would also be quite a transitory membership with lads moving clubs every couple of years depending on deals.
    There is nothing wrong with this, it just depends on what you are looking for.
    Personally I enjoy going for a drink/coffee afterwards, watching match etc nearly as much of the golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Just out of interest would the Monty course be extremely dry this time of year? Been a while since I played there but I always suspected that it would drain really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Personally I enjoy going for a drink/coffee afterwards, watching match etc nearly as much of the golf.
    You obviously have no kids. A lot of us have no time for this and are lucky to get out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Just out of interest would the Monty course be extremely dry this time of year? Been a while since I played there but I always suspected that it would drain really well.
    No, reasonably dry at best.

I played the Friday open three times before xmas. The first week it was very dry but the other two it was wet, in particular the third week, was very wet. Its qualifying every friday or at least it was - its borderline though, parts of the course were very wet especially anywhere not on the fairway. Ball had to be played as it lied in the rough covered in muck and in bunkers even though some of them were full of water. €45 for that is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

Hermitage entry fee can be paid off over 3 years. Annual sub of €1,400. €400 Bar & Restaurant levy and €100 levy towards the development of the new bunkers on the back 9

so annual membership is €1,900?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

Yep alot depends on your situation/free time etc. My course is bloody expensive in comparison to alot of courses which are say 15/20 mins away and especially in my 20's when cash was tight (still is) and I was playing other sports during the winter considered giving it up. Glad I didn't as now get great value out of the club, in the summer I can be sitting on my couch at 8pm on a nice evening and then decide to go up and play holes etc. Also there is a great vibe up in club with lots going on which is great.
    In recent years I have started to play alot more opens and some great courses like Carton/Palmerstown/Powerscourt etc. Quite a few of them, I felt like golf was an add on to the hotel and there was no real golf vibe.
    Alot of those courses I felt most of the membership were golfpark members, they played their golf and went straight home. Alot of them would play with same lads each week and very rarely if ever go into the clubhouse (if there was a dedicated one) afterwards. There would also be quite a transitory membership with lads moving clubs every couple of years depending on deals.
    There is nothing wrong with this, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Luckycharm what club are you referring to if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Luckycharm what club are you referring to if you dont mind me asking?

Yes I’d like to know too if that’s okay - sounds like a great club!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its Grange in Rathfarnham, Dublin.
    https://www.grangegolfclub.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

mickey15ie wrote: »
    so annual membership is €1,900?

If you count a bar and course levy as a sub then yes. The course levy is just for 2020. I don't count the bar levy as a sub tbh. It would be spent in the club regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

GreeBo wrote: »

are they open for membership? have heard great things (your endorsement is just another in a long line)

davegilly wrote: »
    You obviously have no kids. A lot of us have no time for this and are lucky to get out at all.

I have kids who are bit older now plus a very understanding wife :P Sure lots of friends play first thing in the morning and straight home which is fair enough. Know plenty who have no kids and just want to play golf and go straight home as busy.
    As I said it is a personal preference and like to have the option of going into a clubhouse on a sat/sunday that has a bit of vide. Best couple I have been to are Concara wood, clubhouse always seems busy with a realy friendly atmosphere. Lahinch unlike many top courses also found it really friendly and welcoming any time I have been there.
    Lisheen and Citywest I found the opposite but maybe I was just there at the wrong time. Not unfriendly just very little vibe in the bar/clubhouse.

• Advertisement

are they open for membership? have heard great things (your endorsement is just another in a long line)

I think it generally closes in Jan for the year (best to give them a ring) You will need 2 people to propose you. Due to its location (near the city) though it is expensive and there is a joining fee. Intermediate membership is reasonable enough which I think is up to 32.
    I know alot of people come in through the Pavillion membership, you get a GUI, All year access to back 6/Facilities (which are good) reduced rates on main courses plus quite a few comps. It is a good way to see if you like the place plus I think whatever you pay for Pavillion membership comes off any joining fee if you do decide to become a full member. A few of friends have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

I think it generally closes in Jan for the year (best to give them a ring) You will need 2 people to propose you. Due to its location (near the city) though it is expensive and there is a joining fee. Intermediate membership is reasonable enough which I think is up to 32.
    I know alot of people come in through the Pavillion membership, you get a GUI, All year access to back 6/Facilities (which are good) reduced rates on main courses plus quite a few comps. It is a good way to see if you like the place plus I think whatever you pay for Pavillion membership comes off any joining fee if you do decide to become a full member. A few of friends have done this.

That pavilion offer is interesting, I actually inquired about it recently as I am moving back to Dublin shortly but it is still over €1,000 per year.

Does anyone know of any similar offerings around Dublin (ie a kind of "enhanced" pavillion membership (or similar))? The setup would actually be really useful for someone getting back into golf - access to six holes, practice facilities and a GUI, with a view to joining as a full member a year or so later.

That pavilion offer is interesting, I actually inquired about it recently as I am moving back to Dublin shortly but it is still over €1,000 per year.

Does anyone know of any similar offerings around Dublin (ie a kind of "enhanced" pavillion membership (or similar))? The setup would actually be really useful for someone getting back into golf - access to six holes, practice facilities and a GUI, with a view to joining as a full member a year or so later.

€250 of that is food and drink. Castle has pavillion but no GUI. Depends on where you live in Dublin. Edmonstown took on quite a few new members in recent years. Stackstown also. Castleknock have flexible 7 day membership.
    Lisheen/Citywest I think do something similar.

Your pavilion sub is also taken off your joining fee should you become a full member (up to a max of 5 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Used to play the Leinster Mid Amateur for a few years and only because it was in The Grange at the time. One of the few golf courses I'd bother to get up early and cross the city to play.
    It's a lovely spot. Very pleasant surroundings and very well maintained golf course. Comfy club house too. Real nice spot.

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Used to play the Leinster Mid Amateur for a few years and only because it was in The Grange at the time. One of the few golf courses I'd bother to get up early and cross the city to play.
    It's a lovely spot. Very pleasant surroundings and very well maintained golf course. Comfy club house too. Real nice spot.

You are just lucky no one heard you call it "The" Grange ;)

Not all members are this Pedantic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

😉. Mea culpa

Not all members are this Pedantic :p

All the good ones are ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Does anyone have any experience with the Pros in Carton, are they good for lessons, would anyone be better than the other?

Advertisement