Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Cocktails are you drinking lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 l14masasddadsg

Adyx wrote: »
    We've stopped using egg whites in work. Pasteurised egg whites are expensive and like it or loathe it, there's a demand for vegan-friendly drinks out there. We use aquafaba now from chickpeas. Probably gives a better foam anyway and the chickpeas get used by the kitchen.

Were ye buying egg whites in bulk, in a carton or something?

The alcohol would kill any bacteria I would've thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I only ever shake one cocktail at a time, even when making multiples

Edit; I don't think it's reasonable to open a tin of chickpeas for home cocktail making, but that makes sense from a commercial perspective

Can aquafaba be copied at home?

There are all sorts of recipes and ideas for egg white alternatives. There's a YouTube channel whose name I can't remember did a video on it only last week. But aquafaba seems to be the best. Doesn't have to be chickpeas, any legume will do. I'd say you wouldn't need as much as you would with whites either so if you can find a use for the chickpeas they're the best option. If the kitchen hadn't decided to throw them in a salad, we were going to make hummus for the staff. Try and get unsalted if you can and it does pong a bit, but it's not noticeable in a drink.

Were ye buying egg whites in bulk, in a carton or something?

The alcohol would kill any bacteria I would've thought.

I'm not sure about the alcohol and bacteria, possibly, but we weren't going to take any chances. We have non-alcoholic cocktails too. We had cartons and the kitchen had whites they weren't using but obviously they weren't pasteurised so that wasn't an option. As I said, the aquafaba gives a better foam with less anyway. Haven't had any complaints about the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Made a Scarlet O'Hara while away for a few days with some friends.

Southern Comfort
    Cranberry juice
    Lime juice

Lots of ice in the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I'll be mixing a couple of cocktails for a Dutch friend on Sunday

Chocolate Orange Espresso Martini
    Margarita

both have triple sec, so cover off "orange" aspect, but I'm on the hunt for something actually orange in colour.

Any suggestions? I'd like to avoid Orange Juice if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

Margarita

both have triple sec, so cover off "orange" aspect, but I'm on the hunt for something actually orange in colour.

Few drops of food colouring??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Margarita

You can get orange coloured triple sec, but it's literally just got food colouring added, so the above poster's suggestion is probably handier. You'll surely not notice any colour though if you add espresso to it. Would work for the margarita though.

Sorry, I meant a third cocktail!

I'm thinking of just going Old Fash

Sorry, I meant a third cocktail!

I'm thinking of just going Old Fash

Aperol maybe? Cheap enough too.

Adyx wrote: »
    Aperol maybe? Cheap enough too.

Saw Aperol in Lidl, and beside it was a knock off called Bitterol, wondering if anyone has tried that one?

Made a small Negroni there, my first one ever.

Added some more essentials to my cocktail shelf, namely Campari and Sweet Vermouth

Those two open up a whole new avenue of cocktails, so a month of learning ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Saw Aperol in Lidl, and beside it was a knock off called Bitterol, wondering if anyone has tried that one?
    Made a small Negroni there, my first one ever.
    Added some more essentials to my cocktail shelf, namely Campari and Sweet Vermouth
    Those two open up a whole new avenue of cocktails, so a month of learning ahead.

The Bitterol is pre-mixed (with prosecco and soda) so it is Aperol Spritz rather than Aperol

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

One of my work colleagues has given me a jar of coffee-infused bourbon. Anyone any suggestions for a cocktail I could make with it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Bitterol is pre-mixed (with prosecco and soda) so it is Aperol Spritz rather than Aperol

I belive they have both premixed and non

L1011 wrote: »
    I belive they have both premixed and non

Yeah this was straight, same % as the Aperol beside it

What else would it be used for apart from Spritz?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Drunk straight as an aperitif/digestif.

Use in lieu of Campari for a sweeter tasting negroni

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's lovely in a Petruccio if you're looking for a sweet cocktail:

1 measure Gin
    1 measure Aperol
    1/2 measure lemon juice
    1/4 measure rich simple syrup
    Egg white
    2 dashes orange bitters

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mr Price (kinda like a supersized Dealz) are selling cans of Gunna Cola & Ginger for 70c.

Makes a great mixer for a 'dark & stormy' with lime and rum or whiskey.

Usually retails a lot more expensive:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Great thread 👏🏻

Our go-to currently are Italian Mojitos and Airmails.

The Italian Mojito is plenty easy: take the standard Mojito base recipe (rum, fresh mint leaves, sugar, fresh lime juice) and substitute sparkling water for Prosecco, plus half-a-cap to a full cap’s worth of red Campari for colour.

For the airmail:

3cl rum, clear or amber

1.5cl fresh lime juice

1.5cl honey syrup (3 honey measures to 1 water & reduce/clarify)

4.5cl champagne or the like (Prosecco, crémant brut/dry)

Top 3 ingredients into a shaker, serve into highball filled with ice, champagne on top.

I'm on a bit of a tiki buzz at the moment. Been making Mai-tai, but substituting Orgeat syrup for Falernum.

Just ordered the book from Smugglers Cove (reputed best modern Tiki bar in the world) so will be going down a rabbithole for a while. I'll report back, if I survive!

Just back from a booze cruise to France. Picked up some great stuff in the hyper market: orgeat syrup, armagnac, lillet blanc, byrrh, and a bunch of rhum agricole. Now to start mixing! Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Well,you could use some of your rhum agricole, to prep some rhum arrangé?

Tons of recipes about, each more exotic than the other, but basically it involves putting some diced kiwi (and/or or other fruit) and sugar into it, leaving to macerate, agitating twice a week, eventually topping up the sugar to taste.

Takes a while, and not exactly a ‘cocktail’, but truly delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I did rum with charred strawberries, recently.

I charred a punnet of large strawberries over charcoal and steeped them in rum for half an hour.

I stained the rum into cocktail glasses and served the strawberries with a sweetened elderflower cream.

It was really, really good - a combo of dessert and cocktail!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

That sounds amazing.

You need to start considering a book beer!

Of course, I stole the idea!

The inspiration was from The Glass Curtain restaurant in Cork who, I'm told, paired charred strawberries with blackwater vodka to make a cocktail ingredient. I was intrigued by the idea of charring strawberries and assumed it would work with rum, too.

Then, it's obvious to just eat the delicious, mushy, charry, warm strawberries with cream.

It's really worth trying. I'd imagine pineapple, peach, mango would all work really well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

On the whiskey sours today after my cocktail kit arrived. We've had 2. One with Jameson, one with JD. And the JD is far superior taste wise so will be sticking with the bourbon.

Requires a little bit of effort to prepare. buy lemons and squeeze fresh lemon juice. To make the sugar syrup, 200ml water, 200g caster sugar, put it on the hob and stir until it becomes a syrup, set aside to cool, bottle and.refigerate.

50ml whiskey

30ml lemon juice

Dash sugar syrup free pour to your liking. Probably use 20ml for your first one and work from there.

Egg white.

Put all ingredients into an iced shaker. Shake it well so egg white emulsifies and strain over ice.

I just know this cocktail kit is going to be an dangerous addition.

Agree on bourbon for a whiskey sour.

For any cocktails with egg whites, I recommend first a dry shake (eg without ice), before shaking with ice to chill and dilute. You'll get a much better foam that way.

For simple syrup, a few tips:

• If making 1:1 ratio, you can make the syrup by just vigorously shaking sugar and water, no need to heat it first.
    • For rich (2:1) syrup, you can use boiling water from the kettle, again shaking to dissolve.
    • To preserve its shelf life, add a measure of vodka to the bottle.

The whiskey sour is a great cocktail to riff on -- happy shaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah, I tried a dry shake 1st and thought it was better just doing it with ice so I'll be sticking with doing it that way.

All just personal preference though. And I do like the experimental aspect to food/drink so will enjoy the cocktails.

Rum sours are also good!

I haven't given this a name but it's very, very good.

40ml gin

10ml Cointreau

A dash of absinthe

20 ml lemon juice

20 ml simple syrup \or Elderflower cordial

few drops of bitters

Eggwhite.

A few mint leaves.

garnish with a basil leaf.

Dry shaker all ingredients except basil.

Shake over ice.

Strain.

tear basil leaf and place on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I haven't gone back over all this tread but our recent favorite is a Cornish Margarita. Really tasty and not quite as strong as the tequila version.

Triple sec, Lime juice, syrup and a good cider. I'm using Stonewell so I suppose it should be a Belgooly Margarita!

And nowadays I usually salt just half the rim of each glass so you have the choice.

I love the charred strawbs recipe above. Thanks Beer.

Advertisement