Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Cocktails are you drinking lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

On the topic of chocolate bitters, any suggestions on cocktails that use them? Not big into espresso martinis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

On the topic of chocolate bitters, any suggestions on cocktails that use them? Not big into espresso martinis.

Chocolate bitters tend to work well with barrel-aged spirits ... Whisky or bourbon, and also rum.

Try a boulevardier, that's a negroni with bourbon subbed for the gin. You can also make a boulevardier with any whisky, just a bit of experimentation necessary.

Also should work in a rum old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Drinking a Sabot tonight — Gin, Cointreau, lemon juice, simple syrup, egg white, topped up with champagne (prosecco in my case). Very tasty.

Made this without the bubbly today.
    Very nice. I'd say the proper version is great.

A Gypsy #1 tonight: gin, chartreuse, st germaine and lime juice. Really nice balance of sweet and sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

last few weeks we had the following

A Daiquiri made with a spoonful of raspberry jam added to the shaker, very nice take on a raspberry daiquiri.

Whiskey, Marmalade, Bitters and Tonic

Pina Colada

New York Sour

• Advertisement

A Daiquiri made with a spoonful of raspberry jam added to the shaker, very nice take on a raspberry daiquiri.

My better half is quite keen on the Clover Club, a gin and vermouth cocktail with fresh raspberries. A nice drop, which can also be made with raspberry jam. Not a bad way to get your 5-a- day!

https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails/recipe/2345/clover-club-cocktail-no3-diffords-recipe
    New York Sour

Is this a whiskey sour topped with red wine? Intrigued to try...

https://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails/recipe/2345/clover-club-cocktail-no3-diffords-recipe

Is this a whiskey sour topped with red wine? Intrigued to try...

Yes. Try it. It's lovely.
    Can also use port, I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

My better half is quite keen on the Clover Club, a gin and vermouth cocktail with fresh raspberries and gin. A nice drop, which can also be made with raspberry jam. Not a bad way to get your 5-a- day!

/adds raspberries to shopping list.

One of my favs especially when spring/summer comes around, Hugo an Italian cocktail i believe...

30ml of elderflower cordial
    1 dash of soda water
    Prosecco, to top up
    ice
    fresh mint
    lime
    Scoop a handful of ice into a large wine glass along with some torn mint leaves
    Add the elderflower cordial with a splash of soda water then top up with Prosecco
    Give a quick stir and garnish with a wheel of lime

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is probably too drinkable...
    • Equal parts Fireball liqueur and basic whiskey \ brandy \ cognac (fireball on its own is overwhelmingly cinnamon)
    • Ice
    • Cut a lime or lemon wedge, squeeze the juice into the glass and then throw the wedge in.
    • Cocktail cherry and teaspoon of syrup
    • Top with your preferred mixer - cola, ginger ale, etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Chocolate Orange Espresso Martini, oh man this was so decadent and gorgeous!

35ml Espresso
    30ml Kahlua
    30ml Creme de Cacao (I used Bols Brown)
    15ml Orange Gin/Vodka (I used Malfy orange gin)
    15ml Simple Syrup

Shake with ice, strain into a coupe glass
    Twist of orange peel over the crema and use as a garnish

I had to experiment with the ratio of CdC to Orange Spirit, and the recipe with the chocolate ramped up turned out better

I suppose you could use Triple Sec/Cointreau in place of the Orange Gin/Vodka

Got ourselves some copper mugs and made Moscow Mules on Friday, such a great cocktail!

2:1 Ginger Beer & Vodka, juice of half a lime.

Vodka and Lime juice stirred in the mug with ice, make sure the mug gets nice and cold - top up with the ginger beer.

So simple and so lovely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Got ourselves some copper mugs and made Moscow Mules on Friday, such a great cocktail!

2:1 Ginger Beer & Vodka, juice of half a lime.

Vodka and Lime juice stirred in the mug with ice, make sure the mug gets nice and cold - top up with the ginger beer.

So simple and so lovely.

I make these with whiskey or rum all the time. Ginger beer works with everything!

Black rum, ginger beer and lime juice is a Dark and Stormy (goslings rum blah blah blah) and we love them here too.

I also really love an Irish Whiskey version too.

Literally the only thing I could say I've achieved during lockdown is that I now make my own ginger beer. Must try these.

I'd also recommend Belvoir ginger cordial.

It's really hot and gingery and not too sweet.
    Mixes great with sparkling water and is very handy as a cocktail ingredient!

Poachers ginger and chilli is really very good, too.

Literally the only thing I could say I've achieved during lockdown is that I now make my own ginger beer. Must try these.

easy?

easy?

I'm on my phone now but I'll post a link later to the recipe I use.

You have to watch it like a hawk as the yeast acts at inconsistent speeds. Some batches are slightly/quite alcoholic depending on when you stop the fermentation.

cool, I'm au fait with homebrewing and fermenting kimchi and sauerkraut

Made some feckin delish Strawberry Daqs yesterday.

Wexford strawbs, white rum, lime juice, simple syrup

the fresh strawberries were tart, so needed to dial down the lime juice and up the simple a bit

they were very nice, perfect for a sunny afternoon in the garden

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had an old fashioned of sorts last night; Tullamore Dew XO Rum Cask, brown sugar, lemon, cherries and bitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

irish_goat wrote: »
    Had an old fashioned of sorts last night; Tullamore Dew XO Rum Cask, brown sugar, lemon, cherries and bitters.

The Tullamore Dew XO is a good choice as a cocktail base.

Listening to a Don Henley gig from Austin, Texas on Sky Arts so I thought time for a Wild Turkey with bitters, lime juice, vermouth rosso and a splash of lemon iced tea over ice. About equal parts bourbon, vermouth, iced tea.
    I sometimes use cranberry juice and cherry instead of the lemon iced tea for a version of a Manhattan.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I had my first cocktail out this evening post-lockdowns so had to go for one of my favourites - Belfast Coffee from 1661. It's essentially an Irish coffee with poitin instead of whiskey. Divine and decadent!

Made Passionfruit Collins at the weekend

60ml Gin
    60ml Lemon Juice
    2 x Passionfruit
    120ml Soda

For anyone hesitant to use eggwhite in cocktails, I'd urge you to try it.

I use one eggwhite between two cocktails.

My wife always resisted this but now I have her converted!

Whiskey sours.
    Gin fizz.

it's quite difficult to separate one egg white into two shakers though (I do use them, I love a New York Sour), if you've any tips on that they'd be most welcome

it's quite difficult to separate one egg white into two shakers though (I do use them, I love a New York Sour), if you've any tips on that they'd be most welcome

I double up in the shaker.
    I don't really make cocktails for one.
    Can't help, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

We've stopped using egg whites in work. Pasteurised egg whites are expensive and like it or loathe it, there's a demand for vegan-friendly drinks out there. We use aquafaba now from chickpeas. Probably gives a better foam anyway and the chickpeas get used by the kitchen.

I double up in the shaker.
    I don't really make cocktails for one.
    Can't help, I'm afraid.

I only ever shake one cocktail at a time, even when making multiples

Edit; I don't think it's reasonable to open a tin of chickpeas for home cocktail making, but that makes sense from a commercial perspective

Can aquafaba be copied at home?

• Advertisement

I only ever shake one cocktail at a time, even when making multiples

I can't think why.
    I've done as many as 4 in a large shaker - I don't see a problem.

I haven't tried aquafaba yet. I've been meaning to.
    Chickpeas are cheap and very tasty - it's not hard to use up a tin of chickpeas.
    Hummus, soups, stews, salads etc.

Advertisement