Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I sometimes nip into Spoons in Dun Laoghaire and have a pint or two of cask, and almost every choice you make is greeted with a "sorry, that's off".

Maybe cover the tap if the beer is finished then, lads?

It's great value but that is annoying. Now I just ask what cask is available and typically it'll be just one or two of the five or six they have on show. And it's almost never Jaipur

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The tradition would be to spin the badge or remove it when the beer is off.

I'de say not enough training is going into cask beyond the GMs if this is normal carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I know, I asked once why they didn't just take off the fisheye when the beer is gone but they didn't know what I was talking about.

I was talking about cask but ya for keg I would always pop off the the lens too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Had this issue in Wetherspoons at Grand Canal earlier this year. Majority of their taps were off, but had to keep guessing until I got to one that was available. Blamed delivery issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've spoken to one of the regional managers about this because it's infuriating. They don't like having blank handles or turned clips. The app is usually reliable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Speaking of line-blockers, was in the Queens in Dalkey last week for the first time in ages and asked for a Wicklow Wolf Elevation on draught and the barman said quite openly that a condition of Bulmers supplying their outdoor parasols etc was replacement of that with Five Lamps IPA, got a can of their Tundra Tropical instead. So Five Lamps can go hang their......

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

Is there anyone heading to the Oktoberfest in the Dead Centre tomorrow?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Little write up on Original 7 here. Looks like Rebel Lager and Friar Weisse are back on the menu.

What's the actual story with Fran Well did Coors buy it outright as the article says ?

The story Shane Long gave me in 2013 was that they invested in him and he still had full brewing control.

• Advertisement

Páidi Scully, was in the team that established the original Franciscan Well brewery.

What, aged about 8?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Bought outright. I think Shane (and Paudi) originally thought they would be heavily involved but Coors moved production to England whilst the new Fran Well brewery was being commissioned and I think the control never really ended up coming back.

Ya I never believed his story tbh. The takeover had all the hallmarks of the usual macro buyout.

I wouldn't mind a couple of Friar Weisse tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Tinter Box

Great to hear on return of Friar Weiss. I loved that stuff.

Anyone bought the beer cloud Advent box before?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Friar Weisse was a great wheat beer. Used to love pints of it in the Gingerman in Dublin.

Franciscan Well beers have been absolutely dire for years.

I know this is the "support Irish" breweries thread, but I bought the Mikeller one last year and it was excellent. Seemed a bit underwhelming at first, I think the first one out of the box was alcohol-free 😂 And there were plenty of smaller size bottles/cans in it too. Wasn't convinced it was worth €6 per bottle or whatever it cost at first, but changed my tune fairly sharpish.

They were all excellent beers bar the odd one. It was a Marzen, IIRC, and I'm not mad on that almondy flavour. Will prob give it another go this year.

I'de still drink Rebel Red over a lot of things on tap but it's rare I see it anywhere except the offie these days and most of the Limerick offies have the much nicer Treaty red ale and O'Sullivan's red.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Was walking into town from Heuston Station this morning. Noticed that Dice Bar had a few lads inside who looked to be moving things about. I think I read earlier in this thread that the Big Romance crowd have taken over? Hopefully the renovations are beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I'm curious about deals like this.

Are they legal?

I presume they are, if C&C are doing them...............

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Competition Authority and predecessors have investigate the brewing industry here back to the 60s and basically said that draught sale practices by the big boys are anti-competitive but not illegal. Nobody seems to be interested in making it illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Took a tour of Hope Brewery last night with my Adult Ed Craft Beer Brewing class, they have some lovely steel there - but more to the point, they have a really great taproom that overlooks the brewhouse, with seating around a large table for about 8-10 people. It's really such a pity breweries have to jump through so many hoops to be able to sell a pint of beer after a tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well at least the hoops exist to jump through, which they didn't previously.

But, yes, it should be cheaper and easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Was nosing around the White Hag website yesterday and in their FAQ they stated they are only allowed by their licence to sell full cases by mail order, nothing smaller... yet another bizarre and pointless legal restriction, why???

They do half cases each month for Clann but you have to sign up for a year.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That to me would suggest that they didn't get the "producers licence " but are operating with the wholesale licence that all producers have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wicklow Wolf still only let you buy cases on the web*, unless it's the pre-packed mixed case or gift set (which you also see in Off Licences). White Hag have the "Bar in a box" which has 12 beers, 12 packs of Black Boar, so I'd say (like Wicklow Wolf) it's could be convenience/ staffing as much as licence.

*obviously you can still rock up to the tap room and buy just a single can if you want - supposedly, never managed that myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Have people come across https://drink.irish ? A little like the late, lamented Beorifinder's app.

Anyone ever heard of JJs Brewery in Killmallock, Limerick.

Seems to have a very very low profile even in Limerick city. It's almost like it's a back of a pub job except they don't seem to have a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Yep, have bought a few of their (his?) beers in Number 21 offie in Limerick. Never seen a trace of that brand outside of there though. Would have expected it to be on a few taps in the city bars, but no. Very unusual.

21 is the only place I have seen it. The bar in the Southcourt has them too apparently.

I'm heading to Kilmallock Saturday but they don't seem to have a bar or taproom to visit.

• Advertisement

JJ's does a lot of contract brewing for other people. That Zingibeer ginger beer that seems to be around a lot at the moment is brewed at JJ's for Persistence. They do various house beers for hotels, restaurants and whatnot.

Advertisement