Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frongoch internment camp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Robus wrote: »
    A challenge to all readers, has anyone ever found the “full military investigation” reports. I believe that volunteers were moved from Frongoch to Wandsworth prison, “tried” and returned to Frongoch. Are they archived in Kew National archives?

haven't tried to go to Kew to read the records there but there are some bits and pieces re the Easter Rising available to view (and a few available to download for free).

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/easter-rising.htm

WO35 and WO71 possibly the best sections
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/DisplayCatalogueDetails.asp?CATID=13095&CATLN=3&FullDetails=True

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/DisplayCatalogueDetails.asp?CATID=13131&CATLN=3&FullDetails=True

Some photos of the occupants pre-rebellion are online

http://www.peoplescollectionwales.co.uk/Collection/888-fron-goch-prisoner-of-war-camp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Irish at Frongoch.
    Would not inform on Comrade Prisoners.
    The Commandant’s Threat.
    Fifteen “hut leaders” of Irish prisoners at Frongoch have been court-martialled for refusing, with other men, to answer roll call. One of the accused put the case in a nutshell by stating that to answer would be “ to inform on a comrade” thereby delivering him up as liable to service in the English Army. Mr Gavan Duffy, for the prisoners, complained that the Press was not admitted. The Commandant (Lt. Col. Ivor Bowen) emphatically refused admission to the Press stating he had orders from Home Office to admit no strangers. The Court then moved from the prison to outside when the Press was admitted. Mr Richard Mulcahy (344), also charged on the same counts, pleaded not guilty. Evidence as to his being a hut leader and being present at the Commandant’s office and afterwards failing to answer roll-call, was given by Lt. and Adjt. Burns and Sergeant-Major Newstead. Cross-examined by Mr Duffy, Lt. Burns stated that two of the 15 leaders told the Commandant at the interview that they wished to be relieved of the position of hut leaders. Accused (Mulcahy) might have been one of the two. Mr Duffy said it was essential that the prosecution prove the Royal warrant under which the Court was constituted, because if it was not proved the whole cases fell to the ground. The Court was not sitting by virtue of any Act of Parliament, and was ultra vires. The Judge-Advocate said the Court was held by virtue of His Majesty’s Commissions and under the authority of C. -in-C. General Sir Pitcairn Campbell. Mr Duffy also submitted that the Court failed to produce an essential averment that the accused was a prisoner of war—they should have produced proper legal evidence, the Home Office Order of internment. The accused, Mulcahy, volunteered a statement, and addressing the Court said up to 7th Nov, he never refused to answer roll-call. Immediately prior to that date over 200 men refused to answer their names or numbers, as they knew that in the case of Michael Murphy, wanted as an absentee under the Military Service Act, a wrong man was taken and M. Murphy was still in the camp. They feared that other interned men would be similarly wanted. He told the Commandant that the hut leaders as Irish prisoners could not well dissociate themselves from the attitude of the other prisoners, but the Commandant simply declined to discuss what he called “those politics. ” Accused then asked to resign the leadership and the Commandant said he would accept the offer. When they went back to camp on 7th Nov., they found it occupied by a large party of military. Though he told his comrades that the Commandant said “he was not now” looking for a Military Service man, the prisoners, knowing that a Military Service man was amongst the, said that they could not answer the proposed roll-call without disclosing this man. Accused accordingly said each man should judge for himself, and when the roll was called he, too, did not answer. “The Court may understand this better, ” accused said; “if I put it this way. If a German interned among English soldiers by the Germans were wanted for the German Army what would be thought of those English soldiers if they gave that man up and informed on him to the German authorities? There are men here who fought in the insurrection; many are here who did not; but most of them now are very sympathetic with those who did. ” Members of the Court, at mention of the German analogy, smiled, and remarked they had not looked at the affair in that light before. Accused stated that for ordinary discipline the roll had never been called before. It was provocative to call it at that time (7th Nov. ) in view of the circumstances stated. The discipline would be unimpaired if the roll was not enforced. President—I don’t see how your opinion justifies your offence. Accused—Well, I wanted to get it off my chest (laughter). I do not wish to criticise—merely to explain our attitude. President—We are pleased to hear you, and I think you gave us a very capable statement. Lt. and Adjt. Burns admitted I cross-examination that the prisoners were a fine body of men and were respectful and well-conducted “to a certain extent, ” and the hut-leaders were of great assistance n running the camp. In cross-examination, Sergeant-Major Newstead stated he did not hear the Commandant say that if rations were not drawn they would be left in the compound, and if the men did not cook the meat they could starve. Did the Commandant say that if he had nothing in the Camp but dead bodies he would have discipline?—Yes, I believe he did say that. Were extra soldiers brought to the Camp and three sentries with fixed bayonets outside each hut?—Yes, on the morning of the 7th. Accused said the Commandant threatened that any man refusing to answer would be taken to the South Camp and deprived of parcels and letters, etc. Accused did not answer roll, as it would be informing upon a comrade. Judge-Advocate-The accused has put the whole case in a nutshell. The Court was adjourned, and decisions on cases tried were not announced.
    The Committees of London, Manchester, Liverpool, and Glasgow, affiliated with the Irish National Aid and Volunteers Dependents Fund, co-operate in looking after the interned men and send on to Frongoch. Camp regular weekly supplies of all necessaries. The Dublin Executive assist in this work, and will gladly give information on it. Relatives and friends, when forwarding parcels direct to the interned men, are advised to send notice to the Hon. Secs., 10 Exchequer Street, Dublin, who will assist in securing delivery. Irish Ladies are invited to send to the Irish National Aid offices gifts of woollen mufflers, gloves, and wristlets, which are needed by the interned men for the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Regbutler

Yes I have the full
    • The National Museums' "Roll of Honour",
    • Arrests ,transfers, detention and release lists from Irish & English Prisons.
    • Frongoch Camp in North Wales "Roll Call"
    • the "Statements to the Bureau of Military History"
    • The Catholic Bulletin 1916 - 1919 "Easter Week" articles on the killed in Action
    • Court Martial results for May 1916
    • Internment of Bodies in the Dublin Cemeteries
    all in one database

Just ask

PS I found 15 John Doyle & another 10 J Doyle entries, I would guess covering 12 different John / J Doyles

My wife's uncle, Lieutent Liam O'Carroll says in his Witness statement No W.S. 314 and 594 that after rounding up all the men after Commandant Daly had received the order to surrender the Four Courts they were taken to Richnond Barracks then Knutsford befor Frongach with an interrogation at Wormwood Scrubs and a return to Frongach and release in October 1916. Four others were involved in The Rising. Another, Michael McHugh was in The Scrubs for Anti British writing, he worked for the Tuam Hearald and Freeman's Journal but we can't find any mention of him anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

Regbutler wrote: »
    . Another, Michael McHugh was in The Scrubs for Anti British writing, he worked for the Tuam Hearald and Freeman's Journal but we can't find any mention of him anywhere.

McHugh M. of Castlebar was released on 29th May 1916 following a full military investigation.
    McHugh Michael Comdt a Comandant IRA, Mayo, 1921 ,made a "Witness Statement" number 1632 to The "Bureau of Military History"

haven't tried to go to Kew to read the records there but there are some bits and pieces re the Easter Rising available to view (and a few available to download for free).
    WO35 and WO71 possibly the best sections

Thanks a million, I'm awaiting a response from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

From an online source - Patrick Joseph (PJ) Doris, this man was interned under Regulation 14 B of the Defense of the Realm Regulations, on the recommendation of a competent military authority, on the ground, which was communicated to him, that he is of hostile associations and is reasonably suspected of having favored, promoted, or assisted an armed insurrection against His Majesty. He had full opportunity of stating his case to the Advisory Committee, who recommended his continued internment. I have no knowledge of his having refused to insert a recruiting advertisement.

---

At some point he was transferred to Reading Gaol one month after Timothy Healy interviewed him at Frongoch (interviewed - 11th August 1916)(his brother (a member of the houses of Parliament) was named by him as his accuser & had him arrested as they were both vying for the same seat in a local election (the two never spoke to each other after this event). Can you give me any information on when PJ arrived or any other little bits of information on his time there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 trekaddict

AH BLEEEEEP

Sorry to BOB there (he works in my shop from time to time & I had,'t realized he was still logged in here.

Lets try this again under my own name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 trekaddict

From an online source - Patrick Joseph (PJ) Doris, this man was interned under Regulation 14 B of the Defense of the Realm Regulations, on the recommendation of a competent military authority, on the ground, which was communicated to him, that he is of hostile associations and is reasonably suspected of having favored, promoted, or assisted an armed insurrection against His Majesty. He had full opportunity of stating his case to the Advisory Committee, who recommended his continued internment. I have no knowledge of his having refused to insert a recruiting advertisement.

---

At some point he was transferred to Reading Gaol one month after Timothy Healy interviewed him at Frongoch (interviewed - 11th August 1916)(his brother (a member of the houses of Parliament) was named by him as his accuser & had him arrested as they were both vying for the same seat in a local election (the two never spoke to each other after this event). Can you give me any information on when PJ arrived or any other little bits of information on his time there

trekaddict wrote: »
    Can you give me any information on when PJ arrived or any other little bits of information on his time there

All I could find was
    Doris Pat J. Westport, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O'Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Doris Patrick Joseph (CO904/200/119) Dublin Castle Special Branch Files
    Dorris Pat Jos was detained at Richmond Barracks, Dublin on 20th May 1916

I presume it’s OK to put a link to where you can buy the files; I have no financial connection to them
    http://www.eneclann.ie/acatalog/ENEC015.html

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adee

Robus
    Would you have anything on your database for Mark Walsh who was at the GPO. I can see him listed on the Irishmedals site but no idea where to find any other information on him - he doesn't seem to have made a witness statement. Also do you know did everyone (I also have great uncles at both Bolands and Jacobs) end up being transported to Frongoch or did some just 'walk away' ?
    thanks

• Advertisement

Walsh Mark GPO, O'Connell Street Garrison, See the "Roll of Honour" at the National Museum

Sorry, I could find no other information.

As for Frongoch, it held twice as many people as actual participants; there was a general round up. And “walking away” , it depends on garrison, quite a few were encouraged to. and did walk from Jacob’s (where some went home at night and even partook in a celli in Jacob’s), while few if any had the opportunity in the GPO.

Thanks very much robus. Pity no sign of Mark Walsh.
    What you say about some men at Jacobs fits in with what I heard, that the g.uncle i had there basically just walked home.

The third uncle was at Bolands and I read somewhere that Dev made the men march and surrender officially - could I hassle you for a look up for him (last one I promise) name Tom McGrane.
    thanks again.

Not a problem ( with my site un-updated for over 3 years I still get a dozen emails a week!)
    • McGrane Christopher GPO, O'Connell Street Garrison, See the "Roll of Honour" at the National Museum
    • McGrane Eileen see page 62 of "Who’s Who in the War Of Independence"
    • McGrane Thomas Jacob's Factory Garrison , See the "Roll of Honour" at the National Museum
    • McGrane Thos of Seatown, Dundalk was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Wandsworth Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916.
    I have a photo of the Boland’s men in file marching somewhere in my collection

Thanks again robus - very kind. Tom Mc G at Jacobs (not Bolands as I thought) seems most likely so I guess I am off to Collins Barracks to see that Roll of Honour.
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 retired jack

Hi I am not used to using this forum. i am Margaret Naylors grandson and we have just discovered margarets grave. If you would like the information please leave a message for me and I will reply.
    retired jack

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gormap

Hi there Robus - you've inspired my first post! My great-uncle Andy Redmond (Dublin - but I'm not sure where) ended up in Frongoch I think. Do you have any information on him?

gormap wrote: »
    Hi there Robus - you've inspired my first post! My great-uncle Andy Redmond (Dublin - but I'm not sure where) ended up in Frongoch I think. Do you have any information on him?

I'm delighted to have inspired your first post:
    The following are all “A” “Redmond”
    1. Redmond A. of 15 Curzon Street, Dublin was transferred from Richmond Barracks Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 1st May 1916
    2. Redmond A/Comdr See Army & RIC Crown Death's in Who's Who on 21/01/20
    3. Redmond Aidan see page 89 of "Who’s Who in the War Of Independence"
    4. Redmond Andrew (ICA) 15 Curzon Street, : Frongoch Roll Book
    5. Redmond Andy GPO, O'Connell Street Garrison, National Museum roll Of Honour
    With 1 and 4 looking good and probably 5 also.

You have the following two options in the witness statements
    • WS Ref #: 426 , Witness: Sean O'Sullivan, Member IRB, Manchester, 1916, Dublin, 1917; Member IV and IRA, Dublin, 1917 - 1921
    ... . Captain Tom Boylan was Company Officer. Some time during this year I was approached by Andy Redmond who ...
    • WS Ref #: 625 , Witness: Edward Handley, Sergeant British Army, 1916; (acquisition of arms for ICA)
    ... STATEMENT OF EDWARD HANDLEY, 207, Kildare Road, Crumlin. At the outbreak of the l9l4-18 War I was serving with the 4th Battalion, Dublin Fusiliers. Prior to that, I had worked in White's Public House, 79, The Coombe, where Andy Redmond, who was later a member of the Volunteers, was manager. I knew ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gormap

Thank you Robus. I think you are right about 1,4, and 5. I believe he also had a brother who also took part in the Rising but as the brother was just 15 he got no more than a kick up the arse from a British officer before being told to go home to his mother. There may well be no record here! I believe he also had a brother serving with the British Army in France at the time. I have some serious genealogical digging to do. Thank you for all your excellent help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wexford Wanderer

Hello Robus, I gather you are the go-to person for information on the Rising and Frongoch etc. I'm writing a family history and I know that several great uncles as well as a great-aunt were involved in the Rising and War of Independence.

I have been able to find information about two great-uncles (James Quinn and Andy Doyle) in Witness Statements and the Irish Times list. I believe both were also in Frongoch and would like to be able to confirm this, so I'm wondering if you can check the list you have from Sean O' Mahony's book. I have tried to get hold of the book but without success so far.

The names I am looking for are:
    1) James Quinn of Camolin Park, Co.Wexford
    2) Andrew (known as both Andy and Lar) Doyle of The Shannon, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.
    3) Elizabeth (Lizzie) Quinn, also from Camolin Park. I'm told she used to run messages during the war but I don't think she was ever captured or imprisoned. Worth checking the name though.
    4) James Wafer (became Lizzie's husband), from Ferns. I was told he was involved too but have no information at all about him.

I also have references for James Quinn being in Richmond Barracks and Wandsworth Prison (after the Rising), and RIC Barracks, Enniscorthy; Waterford Prison and Kilworth Camp (during the War of Independence). I found a couple of references to an escape from Kilworth and I think he may have been involved in that, but don't know for sure. I do know he was tortured in Enniscorthy (WS 1,157 Patrick Ronan) and that he died in a mental hospital in 1942.

In addition, I had been told that my grandfather, John Doyle, a GAA player for both Wexford and Dublin was involved in the Rising, but I have not been able to find anything about him. He was from Enniscorthy but lived in Dublin at the time of the Rising. He was living at 84 Irishtown Road, Dublin South and worked in the docks.

Thank you very much for any information you can provide when you have time to take a look.

HI WW, here is a few options , regards Robus
    Here are all the J and James Quinn options
    • Quinn J Died 09/July/1921 , See Who's who War Of Independence
    • Quinn J Died 24/April/1916 , See Who's who War Of Independence
    • Quinn J. of South Union Workhouse aged 42 was Interned at Glasnevin Cemetery
    • Quinn James Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Quinn James Killed In Action,
    • Quinn James of Camolin Park, Wexford was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Wandsworth Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916.
    • Quinn James See Catholic Bulletin dated September 1916
    • Quinn James South Dublin Union Garrison , National Museum Roll Of Honour

A Doyle
    • Doyle A. (jun) of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916
    • Doyle Andy Enniscorthy, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Doyle Andy Jnr. Enniscorthy, : Frongoch Roll Book
    I found Wafer
    • Wafer John of Shannon, Enniscorthy :Occupation Clerk, was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Woking Detention Barracks on 19th May 1916

All Camolin
    • Barnes Michael Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Barnes Thomas Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Boland Patrick Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Boland Patrick Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Breen Joseph Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Breen Myles Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Brennan Mathew of Camolin, Co Wexford was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Wandsworth Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916.
    • Brennan-Whitmore W.J. Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Connors John Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Doyle Charles Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Jackman N.R. Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Kavanagh John Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Kavanagh John Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Kelly James Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Kelly John Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Kelly John of Clonee, Camolin, Wexford :Occupation Labourer,was removed on 12th May 1916 from Richmond Barracks, Dublin and lodged in Wakefield Detention Barracks on 13th May 1916
    • Kenny Patrick Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Kinsella Robert Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Maguire Jehr. Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • McDonald Ed of Camolin was released on 29th May 1916 following a full military investigation.
    • McDonald Edward of Kilborea, Camolin, Co Wexford was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Wandsworth Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916.
    • Murphy Denis Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Murphy James Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Murphy Patrick Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Murphy T. Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • O'Breslin James F. Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Quinn James Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Quinn James of Camolin Park, Wexford was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Wandsworth Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916.
    • Redmond Owen Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Roche John Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Roche Thomas Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Ronan Patrick Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Sinnott Michael Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Sunderland John Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Tomkins Patrick Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Whelan Thomas Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    • Whitmore William of Clonee, Camolin, Co Wexford :Occupation Farmer, was transferred from Richmond Barracks , Dublin to Knutsford Barracks on 3rd May 1916

And Shannon hill
    • ?Mahernatty Henry of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy:Occupation Lab, was transferred from Richmond Detention Barracks on 19th May 1916 to Lewes Detention Barracks
    • Cahill M. of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916
    • Doyle A. of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916
    • Doyle A. (jun) of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916
    • Doyle Michael of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy:Occupation Labourer, was transferred from Richmond Detention Barracks on 19th May 1916 to Lewes Detention Barracks
    • Doyle T. of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916
    • Gallagher John of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy :Occupation Ledger clerk,was removed on 12th May 1916 from Richmond Barracks, Dublin and lodged in Wakefield Detention Barracks on 13th May 1916
    • Lacey J. of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916
    • Thorpe W. of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916
    • Thorpe W. of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916
    • Water P. of Shannon Hill, Enniscothy, Co Wexford was transferred from Richmond Barracks Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 1st May 1916

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Wexford Wanderer

HI WW, here is a few options , regards Robus
    Here are all the J and James Quinn options

[*]Quinn James Ferns/Clonee/Camolin, : Frongoch Roll Book
    [*]Quinn James of Camolin Park, Wexford was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Wandsworth Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916.

[*]Doyle A. (jun) of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916
    [*]Doyle Andy Enniscorthy, : Frongoch Roll Book
    [*]Doyle Andy Jnr. Enniscorthy, : Frongoch Roll Book

[*]Doyle A. of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916
    [*]Doyle A. (jun) of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916

[*]Doyle Michael of Shannon Hill, Enniscorthy:Occupation Labourer, was transferred from Richmond Detention Barracks on 19th May 1916 to Lewes Detention Barracks

These look like good possibilities. My great-grandfather was Michael Doyle so I wonder about that entry, but he was probably too old to be involved at that point. Lots of Doyles in Wexford!

Thanks very much for your help Robus. And I'll send for the Frongoch book through inter-library loan as I would like to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sbuch

Hi Robus
    Just came across these boards while doing some digging for my family tree. Was wondering if you have any information about John Dutton Cooper. I've been told that he took part in the Rising and was imprisoned. He lived in Dublin.
    Thanks for any info.

Hi
    • Cooper John of 43 Lanark Street was received at Wakefield Detention Barracks on 6th May 1916 from Kilmainham
    • Cooper John (ICA) 33 Lennox Street, : Frongoch Roll Book
    Could that be him, (try a 1911 census to help confirm)

Robus

Thanks for the info. What does (ICA) stand for?

From his baptism record he lived on 82 Lower Camden St in 1870, in 1901 he was at 20 Long Lane, in 1911 he is at 13 Aldborough Parade so it seems like he moved around a lot.
    Are these 2 different Johns or would it be 2 different internments? I am afraid I don't know much about the history yet.

ICA is “Irish Citizen Army” .
    I would guess they are the same John and the address was spelt wrong on the first one.

Thanks very much.

in the Nominal Roll of the Irish Citizen Army there is an entry for John Cooper, 30 Lennox St, member of the South Circular Road section. Army number 31. There's no indication of where he fought and there's a note in the copy I have saying [crossed out].

South Circular Road Section (No 3 section) is listed as having 14 members and commanded by James Kelly of 4 Clanbrassil St Upper. Kelly and others of the section are listed as having fought at St Stephen's Green/College of Surgeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 briergirl

My great grandfather was Michael O Mahoney who was from Cork ( Bantry I think) and he was imprisoned at Frongoch along with his brother name unknown. His brother was executed in Frongoch. Can you give me any information????

briergirl wrote: »
    My great grandfather was Michael O Mahoney who was from Cork ( Bantry I think) and he was imprisoned at Frongoch along with his brother name unknown. His brother was executed in Frongoch. Can you give me any information????

Sorry I had no luck.
    Can you tell us more about the Frongoch executation?

• Advertisement

I've not come across mention of an execution at Frongoch.

A number of German Prisoners of War died at Frongoch before and after the Irish and all have death certs. There is no death cert for an O'Mahoney in North Wales in 1916.

The Rebellion Handbook has a C O'Mahony from Ahiohill, Enniskeen, Co Cork as sent to Wakefield 2nd June 1916. There is a John O'Mahoney from Dublin listed in this batch.

Advertisement