Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frongoch internment camp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Robus wrote: »
    All Camolin
    • Brennan Mathew of Camolin, Co Wexford was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Wandsworth Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916.

Wow this is amazing :) Mathew Brennan is my great grandfather. I remember my grandad telling me about him being arrested in a turnip field. He married a Quinn from the Ferns area.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 briergirl

I have chased up with my great aunt and I was wrong about the Frongoch execution . The brother was executed in Cork Jail we think his name was Jack (O) Mahoney. My great grandad Michael Mahoney or O'Mahoney was interred at Frongoch. My grandmother had a photo of him there which was then lost. We think Michael was born approx 1884 and his family owned a large house on the rd into Bantry. He was involved in a court case with a british army officer regarding defamation. Any info would be gratefully received

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

a Partick Mahoney was executed by firing squad in Cork, Feb 1921.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 briergirl

Thanks so much!!!!! I'm a bit baffled about my great grandfather Michael. My grandmother always spoke if him being in Frongoch!!! Thanks again for looking

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

Johnny, may i ask the source reference for this please.

• Advertisement

Johnny, may i ask the source reference for this please.

I got his name from the list of those who suffered capital punishment :

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/ireland.html

Listed as O'Mahoney on other lists re the Dripsey ambush

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/html/getPDF.php?memorialID=512

http://irishvolunteers.org/2011/03/ira-cork-1-brigade-dripsey/

I got his name from the list of those who suffered capital punishment :

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/ireland.html

Thanks Johnny, that capital punishment list is new to me and brilliant, I will add it to my index referencing, Robus

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Terry Hanlon

:confused:
    Yes I have the full
    • The National Museums' "Roll of Honour",
    • Arrests ,transfers, detention and release lists from Irish & English Prisons.
    • Frongoch Camp in North Wales "Roll Call"
    • the "Statements to the Bureau of Military History"
    • The Catholic Bulletin 1916 - 1919 "Easter Week" articles on the killed in Action
    • Court Martial results for May 1916
    • Internment of Bodies in the Dublin Cemeteries
    all in one database
    Hi Robus,are there any Doyles from kilkenny mentioned on thos

:confused:
    Browsing, I see you may be able to Check if there is a Michael Sweeney, Irirs Volunteer during 1916 Rebellion in Dublin, a young boy who we are led to believe was sent to FRONGOCH. Returned to Dublin later and was killed aged 19/20. Can you help?

Regards Terry Hanlon

Michael Sweeney from Harold's Cross?

• Advertisement

Sweeney Michael South Dublin Union Garrison , National Museum Roll Of Honour
    Sweeney Ml. of Harold's Cross was released between 13th May and the 22nd May 1916.
    Sweeney Michael Roll of Honour of Fourth Battalion Dublin Brigade

Hi There, Yes Michael Sweeney From Harolds Cross Dublin was a Uncle of a friend of mine

Yes Michael Sweeney from Harolds Cross Dublin

Sweeney Michael South Dublin Union Garrison , National Museum Roll Of Honour
    Sweeney Ml. of Harold's Cross was released between 13th May and the 22nd May 1916.
    Sweeney Michael Roll of Honour of Fourth Battalion Dublin Brigade
    Thank you for the info, we wondered if he spent time at frongoch

rgds terry hanlon

news item re the death of Michael Sweeney

Mickey Sweeney's name can just be made out in the bottom right of this ASU Certificate for Jum Harpur

http://www.peteconnolly.co.uk/blog/wordpress/2009/11/26/jim-harpurs-active-service-unit-certificate/comment-page-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Fieldsman

Many years ago while travelling in Wales I saw a signpost for Frongoch and immediately remembered it as my late father often mentioned it when I was very young as he had been there.
    I stopped and went down to the spot where I found nothing but a small shop in which the owner said this was a prison camp once a upon a time allright.
    Sometime later I picked up a book called 'Frongoch' and I'm sure its in the house still.Robus I live in the west of Ireland and I'd be greatful if you or any one else would know of any website where I could check out names etc.

went to Frongoch last year as part of a trip organised by the 1916-21 Club.

There isn't a lot to see now but the locals are very interested in the subject and happy to talk about what they know. 2 authors about Frongoch were on hand - Lyn Ebenezer and Sean O'Mahoney - and a number of the 16 Lives books were donated to the school. A couple of young Welsh primary school kids were wearing Michael Collins badges and were very knowledgeable about who he was which was good to see.

Thank you for the info, we wondered if he spent time at frongoch

rgds terry hanlon
    Sweeny: Michael: of 5 Harold's Cross was received at Wakefield Detention Barracks on 6th May 1916 from Kilmainham

Found one more spelt "wrong"

Hi Robus,

Thanks a lot for that info, its all coming together bit by bit'

Rgds Terry Hanlon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 richban

HI Robus - do you have any frongoch record of a Patrick Bannon from Co. Westmeath or Longford? thanks very much

richban wrote: »
    HI Robus - do you have any frongoch record of a Patrick Bannon from Co. Westmeath or Longford? thanks very much

Sorry No

Bannon Christopher Roll of Honour of Fourth Battalion Dublin Bridge
    Bannon John (ICA) Fole Street, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O'Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"
    Bannon Thomas (CO904/193/4) Boyd-Barrett Dr. J H P (CO904/193/5) Dublin Castle Special Branch Files
    Bannon Thos of Dublin was released on the 12th May 1916 following a full military investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 richban

Robus - thanks very much for this

Robus,

do you have anything on either of these men :

T (Thomas?) Parker, 12 Holles Row, Dublin

Miley Wilde, Enniscorthy

Johnny

Robus,

do you have anything on either of these men :

T (Thomas?) Parker, 12 Holles Row, Dublin

Miley Wilde, Enniscorthy

Johnny

Hi Johnny, here is what i had for thoes names surnames

Wilde

See Army & RIC Crown Death's in Who's Who on 21/11/20

Parker
    Bernard
    Magazine Fort Garrison , See the "Roll of Honour" at the National Museum

Parker
    Ellen (née O'Flanagan)
    Four Courts Garrison , See the "Roll of Honour" at the National Museum

Parker
    George
    of 10 Rutland Square was received at Wakefield Detention Barracks on 6th May 1916 from Kilmainham

Parker
    George
    of Dublin was released on the 12th May 1916 following a full military investigation.

Parker
    Joseph
    Roll of Honour of Fourth Battalion Dublin Bridge

Parker
    L/Cpl
    See Army & RIC Crown Death's in Who's Who on 01/07/20

Parker
    Lt
    See Army & RIC Crown Death's in Who's Who on 28/10/20

Parker
    T.
    of 12 Hollaf Row, Dublin (Pte 2nd Leinster Regiment) was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916

Parker
    Thos
    was detained at Richmond Barracks, Dublin on 20th May 1916

With a typo in my list

it's the T Parker 2nd Leinsters that I'm interested in. I saw him in the 1916 Rebellion Handbook and think that Hollaf Row is Holles Row. There's a Parker family there in the 1911 census. Can't find a BA service record or anything for him and interested to see if there was anything in any of the resources you have.

Miley Wilde is supposed to be a BA soldier who joined with the Volunteers in Enniscorthy but so far drawing a blank on him too.

Interesting to see the G Parker from 10 Rutland Square (Fowler Hall) in the list. A very Unionist address ie Orange Order and base for the Loyal Dublin Volunteers (a UVF spin off). An arms cache was found there in the 1930's from pre-1916. My Gt Gt Grandmother gave it as her address on her marriage record (ironically her surname was Carson).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gipsybabe

Hello Robus,
    Could you check for my grand father - Michael Carolan or Michael O' Carolan. Ardoyne resident and then Dublin. He was in Frongoch and also escaped from Mountjoy. He was a Director of Intelligence of the IRA under Michael Collins.
    Thank you so much

gipsybabe wrote: »
    Hello Robus,
    Could you check for my grand father - Michael Carolan or Michael O' Carolan. Ardoyne resident and then Dublin. He was in Frongoch and also escaped from Mountjoy. He was a Director of Intelligence of the IRA under Michael Collins.
    Thank you so much

Carolan M. of 80 Chief Street, Belfast was transferred from Richmond Barracks, Dublin to Stafford Detention Barracks on 9th May 1916
    Carolan Michael Was entered on the National Army Census of 12th November 2012 in Portobello Barracks, Rathmines (Dublin) Aged 23
    Carolan Mick 80 Chief Street, : Frongoch Roll Call, Sean O Mahony's book "Frongoch: University of Revolution"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gipsybabe

Thank you Robus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Glenanail

Hello Robus,

I wonder if you could help me with any information you may have about my grandfather William Mulryan, of Kiltulla (also called Kiltullagh) near Oranmore, Galway.

I have a record of him being transferred to Stafford Detention Barracks (Stafford Goal) on the 13th of May 1916. He was taken from Richmond Barracks on the 12th.

I also have another couple of references;-

William Mulryan was a medal winner at Weight Throwing and Hurling. He
    gave a Hurling medal to Michael Giles when Michael emigrated to the
    USA. (Apparently he played for Castlegar about 1910.)

William was mentioned by Irish Patriot, Mr. Frank Hardiman, in a
    statement written just before he died at age 77. He stated that
    William Mulryan was a prisoner (with Michael Collins) in the 3rd Hut,
    North Camp, of Frongoch Internment Camp, Wales in 1917. Referring to
    Seán Hale**, Hardiman said, "...the late Wm Mulryan of Kiltulla,
    Oranmore, another powerful man, with Michael Collins, tried their
    skill with him in weight-throwing... What a pity those young Irishmen
    should meet with such early and tragic ends." (Family sources suggest that William eventually died "due to injuries he sustained by being dragged along, tied to a truck by Black & Tans" although I cannot verify that).

I have not been able to find any other reference to him being in Frongoch or when he returned home, I would be very grateful if you could help in any way.

Advertisement