Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 Weepsie

3FE are now inside the bernard shaw from the window. Ah that's a shame about the roast dates in Driftwood. Havn't been in since before christmas though, but had always got good dates.

Yes the new place has amazing looking cakes and pastries. Kennedy's is back open too, and they sell imbibe beans. There's a new cafe operating from the Tolka, but I don't think it's doing anything that would be as good as any of the other local cafes. Kind of spoiled for choice around Phibsboro.

There's a cafe in DCU beside albert college park that I mean to check out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Can't see past Lavazza really. Its everything I need in my 'daily driver'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ah that's a shame about the roast dates in Driftwood. .

they probably won't get new stock before they get rid of that stuff.

I'll definitely be back to them for takeout, and will buy beans once the dates are back to normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

Can't see past Lavazza really. Its everything I need in my 'daily driver'.

Used to think like this. Would get 1kg bag but a few extra quid you get a much nicer bean. I’d have to be desperate to buy lavazza again

mad m wrote: »
    Used to think like this. Would get 1kg bag but a few extra quid you get a much nicer bean. I’d have to be desperate to buy lavazza again

Well, these things are subjective. I've had boutique coffees recommended or served to me that have I haven't been able to finish. Floral flavours, hints of whiskey, toffee etc. etc. Nah I don't want any of it.

Anyway, what would you recommend so for someone who likes the red Lavazza?

• Advertisement

keep buying the red lavazza!

if you like, keep drinking it

Well, these things are subjective. I've had boutique coffees recommended or served to me that have I haven't been able to finish. Floral flavours, hints of whiskey, toffee etc. etc. Nah I don't want any of it.

Anyway, what would you recommend so for someone who likes the red Lavazza?

In same boat. If you like the red bag of Lavazza keep going.

Sorry what way do you have your coffee....

Sorry wasn't being snarky if it sounded like that. I love coffee and was genuinely looking for suggestions. I drink coffee black about 70% of the time. Also enjoy it with milk on occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I haven't touche Lavazza in probably 20 years. Italians tend to over roast coffee. I used to drink such stuff until I had coffee in Switzerland and worked out what it was the Swiss were getting right that the Italians weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sorry wasn't being snarky if it sounded like that. I love coffee and was genuinely looking for suggestions. I drink coffee black about 70% of the time. Also enjoy it with milk on occasion.

Try this: https://velocoffee.ie/collections/kg-bags/products/copy-of-india-ratnagiri-estate-225g

Also try substituting cream for milk. I used to drink coffee with milk, but I'd rather have it black than with milk, if the cream has run out.

• Advertisement

No, I was wondering do you grind the Lavazza bean yourself, do a French press or buy the pre ground stuff.

Btw no Snarky people in coffee group. They are over in the tea group...:pac:

Oh right :) I use a French press mainly, or mocha pot occasionally.

Oh right :) I use a French press mainly, or mocha pot occasionally.

https://youtu.be/st571DYYTR8

Checkout James above.

As for coffee Mahers pure coffee has great selection

https://maherspurecoffee.ie/collections/best-sellers/products/italian-blend-1?variant=36695981588636

Italian blend is lovely plus you can get it ground to suit your French press

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭frink

Yep I normally go for 340-50 - a great big 12 oz mug full :-) You could do 400 ok but I'd say over that it gets trickier. - maybe get two if you want two mugs? AT least they are inexpensive (but I Know it's 2 filters!)

Clever dripper arrived today and went with Hoffmann method on 24/400 using same grind as the V60. Drawdown of about 1min15s.

Might go a touch finer next time but what an simple way to make a coffee. Might keep the V60 now to make larger brews up to 700-750ml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

A tad random, but I ordered a pack of filter papers for my bean to cup machine, but I got sent a pack of half-size papers :D

Happy to post them to whoever wants them. Just PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Has anyone ever used one of these?

https://www.moccamaster.eu/

Ans if so would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Nal wrote: »
    Had a coffee from The Old Barracks in Birdhill this morning. Excellent. Worthy of the hype.

but is it worthy of the price??

picked up some Roasting Collective Nicaraguan beans in Aldi, BB on the bag is 03/02/22 so I'm assuming they were roasted at the start of the month

had a cup this morning, nothing too amazing but grand for €3/200g

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jeberle23

Have one myself - absolutely love it! Would definitely recommend for larger batches of coffee (500ml plus!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

A friend has it and swears by it. For 2 people working at home, she has said it is perfect for them. And lovely coffee too apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

picked up some Roasting Collective Nicaraguan beans in Aldi, BB on the bag is 03/02/22 so I'm assuming they were roasted at the start of the month

Just ground some of these beans this morning, thought they were really nice, great value for price.

jeberle23 wrote: »
    Have one myself - absolutely love it! Would definitely recommend for larger batches of coffee (500ml plus!).

Sound thanks.

cee_jay wrote: »
    A friend has it and swears by it. For 2 people working at home, she has said it is perfect for them. And lovely coffee too apparently.

Just bought one. Appreciate your recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Saw that, but didn't pick it up when I was in... Sounds worth a grab though?

yeah deffo grab one anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭fits

I might have to run down to Aldi today as we are getting low on beans and waiting on fastway

anyone using a reusable filter in a Clever?

it irks me to throw away so much waste paper for each single use

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 Weepsie

I feel the same about my v60 which is probably why I got the project waterfall papers at the least as they do some good, not a huge amount but some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭caviardreams

anyone using a reusable filter in a Clever?

it irks me to throw away so much waste paper for each single use

I have tried rinsing and reusing sometimes to reduce this, you can sometimes get a second go out of a filter if you want to chance it!! Would be v interested in a reusable filter though

• Advertisement

I was doing that with Aeropress filters before switching to the stainless steel mesh one, and that's great.

Advertisement