Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge from Scotland to Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Now that there's an important Brexit voting day coming, it's time for idiots to back this plan again, apparently without thought.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/06/11/boris-johnson-backs-15billion-brexit-bridge-linking-scotland/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JohnC. wrote: »
    Now that there's an important Brexit voting day coming, it's time for idiots to back this plan again, apparently without thought.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/06/11/boris-johnson-backs-15billion-brexit-bridge-linking-scotland/

Boris away with the fairies. Nothing new there. A lot of roads to be sorted within the province before this Unionist claptrap is entertained

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

JohnC. wrote: »

What nonsense.

Even if the bridge was built, it would need to be a lot longer than 14 miles shortest distance, probably 21 miles. The shortest distance ends up on the end of a very long peninsular that has no real connections.

The journey time from the Scottish side using the 21 miles would be over two hours to the M6, and really not worth the investment.

A better investment would be a bridge from Dublin to Holyhead, and even that would be nuts in the good times. Given Brexit, that is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The crazy neighbours are at it again.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1360724248382353414

The real reason appears to be Brexit sabre rattling. Though I'm not sure threatening something that would have enormous cost and take a long time (and probably wouldn't pass a feasibility study) is much of a threat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What is that old saying - When in a hole stop digging?

Boris is in a hole so he starts digging.

Well, he starts talking about digging, knowing it will end up like his garden bridge, or his airport on the mudflats of the Thames Estuary, or his bridge from remote west of Scotland to Larne. When someone points out that the tunnel would pass under the Beuafort Dyke which is rather deep (300 m) and filled with millions tonnes of unexploded munitions, dumped there at the end of WW II, he might decide to build the Bridge instead.

From link:
    Munitions have since been deposited by the tide on nearby beaches. In 1995, phosphorus bombs washed up on Scottish coasts, coinciding with the laying of the Scotland-Northern Ireland pipeline (SNIP), a 24-inch (610-millimetre) gas interconnector constructed by British Gas. In the prior five years, antitank grenades had been washing up on Northern Irish and Isle of Man shores.[4]

An explosion was registered as a 2.5 Magnitude earthquake on 08 Feb 1986.[5]
    Oh, look, squirrels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I kinda hope this goes ahead so along as the Irish taxpayer doesn't pay a penny towards it.

The Tories and DUP already got one thing they claimed they wanted and that hasn't turned out well for them.

Imagine trying to justify the money for this? It's crackpot dictatorship white elephant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

What was the cost of this bridge ,could you build a children's hospital for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

There's plenty of reasons not to go ahead with this tunnel, but engineering isn't one of them. Every time it comes up someone brings up the munitions dump in Beauford's Dyke as is if it's a gotcha. You can go around it, or go under it and still not break any world records for longest or deepest tunnels. The first stage in any feasibility study would come up with a safe route.

Still not going to happen in my lifetime unless something happens which makes air travel impossible.

There's plenty of reasons not to go ahead with this tunnel, but engineering isn't one of them. Every time it comes up someone brings up the munitions dump in Beauford's Dyke as is if it's a gotcha. You can go around it, or go under it and still not break any world records for longest or deepest tunnels. The first stage in any feasibility study would come up with a safe route.

Still not going to happen in my lifetime unless something happens which makes air travel impossible.

But it is daft for many reasons - the Beaufort Dyke is the easiest to cite. Why go from nowhere in West Scotland to nowhere in NI with a tunnel?

How much freight does the Channel Tunnel take from Kent to France compared with ferries? Why do the ferries still have business? How much more traffic is there through Kent to/from France than the West of Scotland to Larne/Belfast?

It would be more useful to build a second channel tunnel from Kent to France, or Holyhead to Dublin, or Pembrokeshire to Wexford.

By the way, the tunnel would have to be a train tunnel and the trains on one side are on a different gauge so that has to be coped with as well.

Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I am not in favour of this tunnel. Bloody expensive, and should not be built. But building it is not impossible, and could be done if someone found 20billion down the back of their couch. But I do enjoy thinking about how and why it could be done.
    Why go from nowhere in West Scotland to nowhere in NI with a tunnel?

25km from Belfast is hardly nowhere. But Scotland would be difficult. 140km to the M6 or West Coast mainline would be expensive. Would need HS2 like expenditure on land to actually make use of the tunnel, it's not like the Channel Tunnel where they could survive on existing infrastructure until HS1 was built.
    How much freight does the Channel Tunnel take from Kent to France compared with ferries? Why do the ferries still have business? How much more traffic is there through Kent to/from France than the West of Scotland to Larne/Belfast?

From what I read potential traffic from NI to Scotland would be about 25% of what the channel tunnel takes. In the most optimistic scenarios.
    It would be more useful to build a second channel tunnel from Kent to France, or Holyhead to Dublin, or Pembrokeshire to Wexford.

I'm not sure of the economics of a second Channel tunnel, but for the purposes of regional developments in Scotland/NI I doubt it would make sense. Holyhead to Dublin and Pembrokeshire to Wexford would both be way more than anything that has been constructed elsewhere and are probably not feasibile using current technolgy. They'd make more money than a tunnel between Larne and Portpatrick, but not as much money as one from Dublin to New York which is also unfeasibile. Larne to Portpatrick would not be record setting.
    By the way, the tunnel would have to be a train tunnel and the trains on one side are on a different gauge so that has to be coped with as well.

25km of new standard guage railway line from Larne to Belfast is hardly going to be a gamechanger in a project this big.
    Daft.

100% agree!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I don't think people are highlighting those problems to claim that it's an impossible engineering problem. It's only to highlight that the level of engineering required to build it and the costs associated with it are completely off the scale when you consider the level of travel between the two regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭roadmaster

By the time if this where to ever happen Scotland would probably be independent and the North would be reintergreated in to the Republic so the most important thing to happen before construction starts is Boris & Co pays up front!

Peregrine wrote: »
    I don't think people are highlighting those problems to claim that it's an impossible engineering problem. It's only to highlight that the level of engineering required to build it and the costs associated with it are completely off the scale when you consider the level of travel between the two regions.

I think Johnson has two problems - DUP up in arms about the NI protocol, and SNP leading the charge on Covid and leading in the fight for INDYREF 2, so what a surprise - there is a (daft) story linking the two and it is so daft that it will take the media a week or two to dismiss it as daft beyond measure.

Straight from the Trump playbook.

This is the British equivalent of the Western Rail Corridor

I think Johnson has two problems - DUP up in arms about the NI protocol, and SNP leading the charge on Covid and leading in the fight for INDYREF 2, so what a surprise - there is a (daft) story linking the two and it is so daft that it will take the media a week or two to dismiss it as daft beyond measure.

It is utterly daft as I doubt any serious percentage of voters in Scotland's Central Belt gives a toss about this proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pretty much what I thought as well, a Tory ruse because they know there is independence stirring strongly in Scotland which could then tip NI the same way.

Boris is great at major infrastructure announcments knowing well he'll be long out of office before anything come to fruition (if at all). Very easy to call pressers and announce stuff knowing you'll never have to actually follow through.

And is there ever a day when he isnt on the UK tv news at some farm, factory, hospital, laboratory or whereever. He seems to spend all his days visiting these places to put on the hi-vis and a hard hat with a tv camera crew permanently following him. Id wonder does he ever do any work in no.10 at all or is it just all outsourced to his team of SPADs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Would be great to see a Dublin-Wales high speed rail link in the future, provided we have an internal high speed network between the three metropolitan areas by then.

Connecting Antrim to Scotland is nonsense from a transport planning POV. The fast majority of Ireland-Britain trips start and end South of Drogheda and South of Leeds. The Antrim-Scotland link is only useful for Ireland-Scotland journeys which are minimal. Also Ireland to France journeys by rail would become practical with a Dublin-Wales link, even if that meant a change of trains and there'd be gauge issues to be resolved. The Antrim-Scotland link would be no challenge to the aviation industry and wouldn't even be competitive with Dublin and Rosslare ferry crossings.

That being said, there's still not much HSR in the UK and we're even further away from having HSR in Ireland, so the whole thing is a long way off. The recent chat about it is more unionist propaganda than a serious proposal. The timing is good for drowning out the loyalist working class threatening the UK govt. with violence.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Would be great to see a Dublin-Wales high speed rail link in the future, provided we have an internal high speed network between the three metropolitan areas by then.

Connecting Antrim to Scotland is nonsense from a transport planning POV. The fast majority of Ireland-Britain trips start and end South of Drogheda and South of Leeds. The Antrim-Scotland link is only useful for Ireland-Scotland journeys which are minimal. Also Ireland to France journeys by rail would become practical with a Dublin-Wales link, even if that meant a change of trains and there'd be gauge issues to be resolved. The Antrim-Scotland link would be no challenge to the aviation industry and wouldn't even be competitive with Dublin and Rosslare ferry crossings.

That being said, there's still not much HSR in the UK and we're even further away from having HSR in Ireland, so the whole thing is a long way off. The recent chat about it is more unionist propaganda than a serious proposal. The timing is good for drowning out the loyalist working class threatening the UK govt. with violence.

I think you have it in one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like they have let NIRL go from the 'Union'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

can you "can" something that was never likely to happen anyway?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Funny to look back at my old posts in this thread and realise that while I follow politics quite closely, at the end of the day, I still know nothing about politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

😂 As if it was ever a runner. Yet some eejits in the UK will credit Boris for having such an idea in the first place - not understanding that he knew it was economical and construction impossibility from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

All this ever was on the part of Boris Johnson was deploying his now classic diversionary tactics, to move media attention away from less popular decisions that he was taking, and focus it on something ridiculous.

The fact that UK public funds were wasted on even evaluating this nonsense is more of a scandal.

I think one of the comments below that article should be reiterated here:-

David Read

30 Nov, 2021 at 11:32 am

Surely this tunnel option with a problem has been aired before. The railway gauge in UK is 1435mm(4 feet 8.5inches), and in Ireland 1600mm (5feet 3inches).Solutions welcomed.

That was my first thought when this was proposed as a rail bridge, apart from the Beaufort Dyke filled with unexploded munitions from WW II.

A daft proposal followed by a waste of time and money investigating an obvious daft proposal.

Far worse than anything ever proposed here for purely political means.

Would’ve bought off a lot of people in the PUL community for a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If we're seriously considering doing a tunnel, then it'd be an entirely new line, running from Belfast, that'd use the UK gauge. Zero point in building this tunnel and tying it into the substandard network in Ireland/Northern Ireland.

The expense of a new line from the tunnel portal all the way to Belfast (or indeed Dublin) would have been a drop in the ocean compared to the price of the Tunnel.

• Advertisement

While I accept that running a std gauge rail connection would be small extra cost, I also think the the proposer of the daft idea was completely unaware of the gauge problem. It was proposed as a railway bridge from a peninsula in Scotland that had long lost its rail connection and was hours from anywhere even by a newly built rail connection across a hostile sea crossing to another peninsular that ran on an incompatible rail gauge.

Only an idiot - wait a minute - OK, I get it.

Advertisement