Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Porterhouse special is a thing of beauty, best of the box.

Felt like Kris Kristofferson this morning, having that beer for breakfast and wanting one more for dessert!

Eventually opened a Porterhouse Celebration Stout tonight. Think I'll open the 200 Fathoms box tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just cracked open a 200 Fathoms 2020 edition. Absolutely lovely beer, malty, full bodied with loads of coffee and liquorice flavours. Nice bit of heat in the throat too from this one. The whiskey flavours and aromas are more understated than the Porterhouse Around the Clock I had last night. It's a belter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I made a change for the day and just on the Smirnoff, yeah.

Will be picking up some Rascals soon from Bradley's down here.
    They stock some nice beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Just cracked open a 200 Fathoms 2020 edition. Absolutely lovely beer, malty, full bodied with loads of coffee and liquorice flavours. Nice bit of heat in the throat too from this one. The whiskey flavours and aromas are more understated than the Porterhouse Around the Clock I had last night. It's a belter.

It's unbelievable.
    It's witchcraft that they can make it so smooth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Galway Bay!

I have to try it, but for an €11 pint of stout, it would want to be good!

In fairness, 10 abv. Sounds lovely though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

OOnegative wrote: »
    Omnipollo - BA Mam Mut Imperial Stout.

I have yet to be disappointed by anything from Omnipollo.

I've been gushing about them Mikkeller and ToØl so much, so it's not surprising that I'd say that.
    Never had it. Seen it in Martin's a bit though.
    What's it like?

That's great to hear.

When I was packing the car for the trip down west I threw in some of the Ales from the Mikkeller box and some sours that are long overdue being drank.

I put in one of the 2020 200 Fathoms initially, but something told me that it wasn't the time or place for it, so it stayed in the apartment.

I think I'll crack it on NYE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I have yet to be disappointed by anything from Omnipollo.

I've been gushing about them Mikkeller and ToØl so much, so it's not surprising that I'd say that.
    Never had it. Seen it in Martin's a bit though.
    What's it like?

I loved it, the BA element was quite subtle I thought and none to overpowering. Strong vanilla & coconut tastes and very thick as you’d imagine for a 12% Imperial Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

This is surprisingly tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

The growler of Kinnegar red rye barrel aged I had was unbelievable, like a Martini Espresso is the best way to describe it,7.5% but not one for sipping as I thought the longer it set the bitterness kicked up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The coconut and vanilla version of 200 Fathoms is another beauty. Dangerous stuff at 12% but with the alcohol well hidden by the extra flavours! I thought I might get tired of the coconut as I got further into the bottle, but I think it's quite nicely balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Having tesco buck fizz atm but have a Japanese hitachino ginger ale beer for after

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Having tesco buck fizz atm but have a Japanese hitachino ginger ale beer for after

Never heard of that one. Let us know what it's like.

Never heard of that one. Let us know what it's like.

Its vile

Finishing it off for pride but never again

Edit after 1 more sup ****ed it out, undrinkable

The coconut and vanilla version of 200 Fathoms is another beauty. Dangerous stuff at 12% but with the alcohol well hidden by the extra flavours! I thought I might get tired of the coconut as I got further into the bottle, but I think it's quite nicely balanced.

Having the espresso stout now. Should have gone the other way around. It's nice, but the coconut one is nicer.

How come Miller has gone down the pecking order in terms of people buying them .

About 10-12 years ago it was all about getting the boxes of Miller

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How come Miller has gone down the pecking order in terms of people buying them .

About 10-12 years ago it was all about getting the boxes of Miller

It's mostly craft beer drinkers in this thread. Miller, Coors, Heineken, Budweiser, etc don't get mentioned much in here.

There are much nicer non craft beers than Miller these days anyway too.

flended12 wrote: »
    This is surprisingly tasty.

Had that last year and it was in the WH Stout and Oyster box and it wasn't bad. Better than I expected anyway.

All of the 200 Fathoms reports are certainly making me happy I jumped on the box. Really looking forward to cracking them open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

4th night in a row for barrel aged stouts and this is my last one in stock. Just opened a Larkin's Morrigan. This one is the most disappointing in my opinion. Nothing remarkable at all about it. Of the one's I've had my ranking would be;

1. 200 Fathoms 2020 edition
    2. Leann Follain Barrel aged
    3. Around the Clock.
    4. Morrigan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I am absolutely finished with barrel aged stouts. Been drinking too many of them and am sick of them.

Amazed at some of the reviews they get. Had a Siren Fireside last night and found it very meh.

Whilst not a stout... I had a Lervig Paragon 2019 and found it just ok whilst it gets a whopper of a score on Untappd of 4.62.

I enjoyed any of the White Hag Dark Druid series above those two (I know not really comparable with the Paragon).

Rant over but this is really just a reminder for myself so I stop feckin buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I am absolutely finished with barrel aged stouts. Been drinking too many of them and am sick of them.

Amazed at some of the reviews they get. Had a Siren Fireside last night and found it very meh.

Whilst not a stout... I had a Lervig Paragon 2019 and found it just ok whilst it gets a whopper of a score on Untappd of 4.62.

I enjoyed any of the White Hag Dark Druid series above those two (I know not really comparable with the Paragon).

Rant over but this is really just a reminder for myself so I stop feckin buying them.

I'd assume the high scores are down to the fact that barrel aged and imperial stouts in general are quite expensive so you'd want to be sure you like them before buying them. I'm sure the exclusivity and limited edition nature means people might regard them higher even if they really are only average

This Christmas has definitely put me off all barrel aged, imperial, and dessert stouts for a fair while now too. Opened a Wicklow Wolf Locavore and a standard O’Haras Irish last night and they were a breath of fresh air in comparison to what I had been drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

This Christmas has definitely put me off all barrel aged, imperial, and dessert stouts for a fair while now too.

Same as that, last drink I had was on Christmas Eve and it was Brownie Pints by Brew York in England. It’s styled as an Imperial/Milk Stout. If you like a sweet liquid form of KP nuts it’s your thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This Christmas has definitely put me off all barrel aged, imperial, and dessert stouts for a fair while now too. Opened a Wicklow Wolf Locavore and a standard O’Haras Irish last night and they were a breath of fresh air in comparison to what I had been drinking.

I've never really gotten the whole barrel aged stout thing. I remember being very impressed with Brewdog Paradox (I think) which iirc was originally an aged ale rather than a stout but generally, I never got the fuss.

The whole "dessert stout" thing was never going to be my bag - i haven't even tasted most of them - just enough to know they aren't my bag.

Funny thing is that 20 years ago when I started to really explore beer people used to struggle with the sweetness of Belgian beers - now they are way down the scale of sweetness!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think they have their place.
    For me they come out on occasions, after big family dinners, or winding down after a long Xmas day.
    Especially if there is a rich dessert to compliment it.

Ye'll be driven mad by my posts over the next few months so. :P

I have Crann na Beatha and Shanco Dubh (Brehon), 200 Fathoms (Galway Bay), Around the Clock (Porterhouse), Dolmen (Western Herd), Leann Folláin (O'Hara's), Pointy Shoes and Mad Mex (Wicklow Wolf), Morrígan (Larkin's), World's End (Black's of Kinsale) and 8 Ball (8 Degrees) in a box of "big" drinks here. :pac:

Oh, and a 2016 KBS.

What’s KBS? Seen it mentioned a few times and it just won’t click with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

I'd assume the high scores are down to the fact that barrel aged and imperial stouts in general are quite expensive so you'd want to be sure you like them before buying them. I'm sure the exclusivity and limited edition nature means people might regard them higher even if they really are only average

Emporers new clothes is a timeless tale for a reason

Advertisement