Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you, re palm oil

Options
  • 12-11-2018 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

My sincere thanks to the boardsie who posted this,,,

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theg...alm-oil-banned

I am ashamed that I had no idea. None. It has haunted me since and today I spent literally hours here online tracking palm oil in the foods I use most. Shocked and appalled at the extent of this.

Did folk here know?

I read the ingredients on every food I use most; palm oil everywhere. Orang utans such wonderful critters.

Instant noodles... most cheaper ranges that many of us on pensions rely on.... biscuits, a lot of breads. Treats like chocolate.

One of the worst offenders is cadburys and I am gutted. Oh I think the only trad sweets not affected are Bounty Bars and Smarties. ( I got the tesco sweets page up on the shopping list and went right through it checking ingredients)

So I really have to change what I buy and eat or be a complete hypocrite

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Link doesn't work, this sometimes happen when you copy it from google results page instead of from the actual page

If this is about the Iceland advert there is already a thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

biko wrote: »
    Link doesn't work, this sometimes happen when you copy it from google results page instead of from the actual page

If this is about the Iceland advert there is already a thread on it.

I copied from the other thread?

Yes I know there is another thread, but it had got very over political and then died, and my take is of personal responsibility and involvement.

There was one on reddit a while ago where folk listed foods containing palm oil so we can choose to veto it.

Up to the moderators; just the site of orang utans...... if we do not act they will all be gone in a few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, you need to open the link and then copy URL, then it will work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

That and single use plastic is quite a bugbear of mine. But when you're a consumer with a limited budget you have to pick your battles and make the call.
    I'm not big on convenience food and cook very mostly from scratch but I have a set budget for the weekly shopping each week.

It is difficult to get out of the habits, every single one of us contributes to the problem in some way and it's mainly because it's a major convenience.
    At the end of the day it's also a cheap ingredient and cheap puts the price into range of the vast majority of shoppers. Products without palm oil are often either "accidentally" palm oil free or it's a decision to keep it ethically in a good level and this comes with a price that sometimes I simply can't pay.

Since we rely so much on convenience products (that's why they're there, people buy them) and want it all for a good price, cheap wins. That's especially difficult for people that genuinely can't pay a higher price for a better product. Poor gets to pick up the scraps and some of the packaged products you'd rather not eat.

But the upside: I think this is going to be the next big thing that will get attention in the media so eventually the awareness will be raised.

biko wrote: »
    Ok, you need to open the link and then copy URL, then it will work

Thank you; I think this wil lwork

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/09/iceland-christmas-ad-palm-oil-banned

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    That and single use plastic is quite a bugbear of mine. But when you're a consumer with a limited budget you have to pick your battles and make the call.
    I'm not big on convenience food and cook very mostly from scratch but I have a set budget for the weekly shopping each week.

It is difficult to get out of the habits, every single one of us contributes to the problem in some way and it's mainly because it's a major convenience.
    At the end of the day it's also a cheap ingredient and cheap puts the price into range of the vast majority of shoppers. Products without palm oil are often either "accidentally" palm oil free or it's a decision to keep it ethically in a good level and this comes with a price that sometimes I simply can't pay.

Since we rely so much on convenience products (that's why they're there, people buy them) and want it all for a good price, cheap wins. That's especially difficult for people that genuinely can't pay a higher price for a better product. Poor gets to pick up the scraps and some of the packaged products you'd rather not eat.

But the upside: I think this is going to be the next big thing that will get attention in the media so eventually the awareness will be raised.

Agree totally. I am limited in what I can eat as well.... But I will prune and change.

Dratted peanut butter.... will scour tesco on wednesday.... and biscuits...

aldi claim that their own brand uses only responsibly sourced palm oil, but reading around it is dubious that that is anything valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Heartbreaking, I do see more foods with "No Palm oil" marked on them, and we do our best, but damn it there is so much foods that do have it.

:mad:

at the end of the day people just don't give a sh1t ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

You have to ask the question of these palm oil free foods, what are they putting in there then? Is it just replacing the problem du jour with something just as destructive to wildlife habitat?

Its bloody never ending.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Graces7 wrote: »
    Agree totally. I am limited in what I can eat as well.... But I will prune and change.

aldi claim that their own brand uses only responsibly sourced palm oil, but reading around it is dubious that that is anything valid.

I think Kelkin brand is just peanuts and sea salt. There should be no need to add extra oil. It does cost more, but it is a good peanut butter.

Aldi and Tesco both do own brand 100% peanut butter, so no palm oil. Lots of places are doing the Meridian one is massive tubs as well. it is a bit messier to use than normal peanut butter, but much nicer and completely palm oil free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Alas if its not this thing its another that is destroying the planet. Maybe the Green Party might get a bit of a boost on any heightened concerns.

You have to ask the question of these palm oil free foods, what are they putting in there then? Is it just replacing the problem du jour with something just as destructive to wildlife habitat?

Its bloody never ending.

No; they are going back to what we had before palm oil, as the ingredients labels tell us. Olive oil, coconut oil..... safe and safely produced. They cost more than palm oil. This was all done on price.

Palm oil got in as it did because it is cheap. Cheap as it is cultivated in dirt poor countries using child labour, and with no care for the environment .

Palm oil is not even a healthy option; just dirt cheap. Not looked at spreads etc as I use butter.

That is being challenged and questioned too . That is what Cadbury tried to say and they got thrown out of the association.

Palm oil is unhealthy. Going for palm oil free here.

Just checked that list and it is wildly inaccurate. And nothing on the packs that says sustainable.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Alas if its not this thing its another that is destroying the planet. Maybe the Green Party might get a bit of a boost on any heightened concerns.

In New Zealand people got Cadbury to drop palm oil totally by campaigning.

Up to us. Not any party

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

My sincere thanks to the boardsie who posted this,,,

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theg...alm-oil-banned

I am ashamed that I had no idea. None. It has haunted me since and today I spent literally hours here online tracking palm oil in the foods I use most. Shocked and appalled at the extent of this.

Did folk here know?

I read the ingredients on every food I use most; palm oil everywhere. Orang utans such wonderful critters.

Instant noodles... most cheaper ranges that many of us on pensions rely on.... biscuits, a lot of breads. Treats like chocolate.

One of the worst offenders is cadburys and I am gutted. Oh I think the only trad sweets not affected are Bounty Bars and Smarties. ( I got the tesco sweets page up on the shopping list and went right through it checking ingredients)

So I really have to change what I buy and eat or be a complete hypocrite

It has been constantly written about, nothing new.

Welcome to 8+ years ago. https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/online-protest-drives-nestl-to-environmentally-friendly-palm-oil-1976443.html

Aegir wrote: »
    Aldi and Tesco both do own brand 100% peanut butter, so no palm oil. Lots of places are doing the Meridian one is massive tubs as well. it is a bit messier to use than normal peanut butter, but much nicer and completely palm oil free.

Thank you.

It IS the cost. Two or three times the cost of what I have been buying. Will find something! More home made jam....

Being English, Cadbury was such a hugely respected name. The history of the firm, the truly philanthropic work they started. The "model village" they created for workers was a total innovation

Always loved Roses; as far back as the late 40s so a change coming.

Glad though of the awareness and about to email my shopping list in, cropped and altered. Challenges are good...
    even at nearly 80 years!

Blessings and thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

25 orangutans a day are lost to this problem, whether they die directly or indirectly.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of palm oil is exported and what percentage is used within the country of origin and what percentage of palm oil is used by African people around the world compared to non-African people (unlikely to ever find those figures).
    The reason I wonder about this is because palm oil is very widely used among the African community in Ireland (and presumably other countries) so (a) it must be easily available in African shops (I know I've never seen it on sale in regular grocery shops) and (b) it must be quite commonly used by Africans when cooking here in Ireland so presumably it's quite common to use it in Africa.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

It just never hit the news as it is now, thanks, and I mean THANKS to Iceland . New to many here ....

Needed this kind of exposure and impact.
    Hope it gathers momentum and something changes. Has done here.

Those beautiful creatures so endangered

erica74 wrote: »
    25 orangutans a day are lost to this problem, whether they die directly or indirectly.

I'd be interested to know what percentage of palm oil is exported and what percentage is used within the country of origin and what percentage of palm oil is used by African people around the world compared to non-African people (unlikely to ever find those figures).
    The reason I wonder about this is because palm oil is very widely used among the African community in Ireland (and presumably other countries) so (a) it must be easily available in African shops (I know I've never seen it on sale in regular grocery shops) and (b) it must be quite commonly used by Africans when cooking here in Ireland so presumably it's quite common to use it in Africa.

Dear Lord; that figure is appalling. Has to be stopped.

It is cheap and often poor folk and poor countries cannot afford the luxury of choice .

Using sunflower oil and coconut oil here now... butter and lard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ToddyDoody wrote: »

Nope. Farmers hate them, anyone with a petrol or diesel car will hate them, anyone not spinning their own clothes and heating their house with their own farts hate them. It's a special interest party for the affluent and won't get anywhere here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Using sunflower oil and coconut oil here now... butter and lard.

Coconut oil is also destructive. And massive air miles obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ah come on folks we can't have the consumer society we crave without something being destroyed.

Before that great Iceland ad not many really gave a fcuk about what palm oil did or did not do.

So we move on from palm oil but soooner or later realise that the short term alternative is too expensive.
    But by that time the manufacturer has come up with a cheap alternative, but that cheap alternative involves destroying something else

And it goes on and on and on.

If we want 'cheap' consumer goods something has to be destroyed.

Only those well off can chose to be as socially/environmentally conscious as they want to be.

pwurple wrote: »
    Coconut oil is also destructive. And massive air miles obviously.

explain please? orang utans? air miles? Apply to oranges etc... But make YOUR choice for YOUR life as I am doing for mine.
    and happy to do so

Ah come on folks we can't have the consumer society we crave without something being destroyed.

Before that great Iceland ad not many really gave a fcuk about what palm oil did or did not do.

So we move on from palm oil but soooner or later realise that the short term alternative is too expensive.
    But by that time the manufacturer has come up with a cheap alternative, but that cheap alternative involves destroying something else

And it goes on and on and on.

If we want 'cheap' consumer goods something has to be destroyed.

Only those well off can chose to be as socially/environmentally conscious as they want to be.

Not many of us really knew.

And your last para is not true. I have altered my diet and shopping easily now that I know. Took me all of ten minutes to change the list. even found a palm oil free peanut butter at SV within my reach

And no, no need to destroy animal life as with palm oil . No need to destroy anything. Inexpensive is easily achieved for those who need. Regardless of income.
    Always the choice is free to make. Made in this dwelling and this life where palm oil is concerned.

A postitive step. Thank you Iceland and the original poster.. THANK YOU!

It just never hit the news as it is now, thanks, and I mean THANKS to Iceland . New to many here ....

Needed this kind of exposure and impact.
    Hope it gathers momentum and something changes. Has done here.

Those beautiful creatures so endangered

Well...it did...that’s why I quoted a news article, one of probably thousands that have been written.

Only difference now is that the message has been dumbed down for the masses, no doubt the ‘liked and shared, hun’ crew will be all over this with their faux outrage, whilst still buying products/chocolate with palm oil for de childers to enjoy over Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Most of the alternatives for palm oil are even worse.

The problem isn't palm oil itself, it's where it's planted. Palm oil is three times more productive per square kilometre than other plant oils.

This is the real issue, the insatiable demand for plant oils cannot be met without an enormous footprint. It doesn't matter whether it's palm oil, olive oil or sunflower oil. You have to get rid of plant oils full stop or at least massively reduce them. Substitution won't work, it'll make it worse. Elimination is the only option.

And that means everyone needs to give up the processed foods that make up 90% of their diet, which isn't a bad thing anyway. Until we do that, palm oil is the least ****ty plant oil.

As far as sustainable palm oil goes? It doesn't really exist. Sustainable palm oil is accredited by RSPO which is an industry body. They only specify that it can't come from an area of high ecological value. Which is really, really vague, has no legal meaning and doesn't stop them from burning forests in areas where Orangutans are and simply calling it low ecological value.

Another problem is that we might be super aware of the problem but as with most global issues nowadays, it's China and India that are the biggest consumers of palm oil and they couldn't care less about sustainability. These are countries with enormous poverty rates and they're not going to choose a more expensive alternative because a rich westerner tells them to.

Most NGOs don't want people to boycott palm oil, including Greenpeace, because then the issue is solved in our minds and we stop caring while the producers simply switch to Coconut oil instead which as I said already is even worse.

Maybe ICELAND would be better off not selling products with palm oil, put their money where their mouth is.

A 1min search on their site: https://groceries.iceland.co.uk/daim-caramel-ice-cream-with-milk-chocolate-coated-daim-pieces-3-x-110ml-ml-/p/63355

Cheap marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Not many of us really knew.

And your last para is not true. I have altered my diet and shopping easily now that I know. Took me all of ten minutes to change the list. even found a palm oil free peanut butter at SV within my reach

And no, no need to destroy animal life as with palm oil . No need to destroy anything. Inexpensive is easily achieved for those who need. Regardless of income.
    Always the choice is free to make. Made in this dwelling and this life where palm oil is concerned.

A postitive step. Thank you Iceland and the original poster.. THANK YOU!

This has been an ongoing issue for decades which has gotten huge media coverage. I mean, credit to Iceland for sharing a message with people who didn't know. But were you living under a rock? I find it astonishing in 2018 that some people have only just learned about palm oil.

Did you also know that beef farming in Ireland is putting out huge carbon emissions and making it impossible for us to meet our climate targets? Did you know that the use of pesticides is wiping out bee populations? Did you know that agriculture in general has annihilated biodiversity in Ireland and that we're the most deforested country in Europe?

All of these are really common knowledge but it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't know any of them. Maybe you should spend more time reading the news?
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Well...it did...that’s why I quoted a news article, one of probably thousands that have been written.

Only difference now is that the message has been dumbed down for the masses, no doubt the ‘liked and shared, hun’ crew will be all over this with their faux outrage, whilst still buying products/chocolate with palm oil for de childers to enjoy over Xmas.

Yup. Depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

troyzer wrote: »
    This has been an ongoing issue for decades which has gotten huge media coverage. I mean, credit to Iceland for sharing a message with people who didn't know. But were you living under a rock? I find it astonishing in 2018 that some people have only just learned about palm oil.

Did you also know that beef farming in Ireland is putting out huge carbon emissions and making it impossible for us to meet our climate targets? Did you know that the use of pesticides is wiping out bee populations? Did you know that agriculture in general has annihilated biodiversity in Ireland and that we're the most deforested country in Europe?

All of these are really common knowledge but it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't know any of them. Maybe you should spend more time reading the news?

Yup. Depressing.

It's staggering that some people only seem to have become aware of the Palm Oil issue now. The advert wasn't, and didn't claim to be , a news flash but was an effort to call a halt to the damage being done. This issue has been well flagged for over 20 years.

Advertisement