Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your take on wearing an England Jersey?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Don't do it man. Just don't....unwritten rule over here we do NOT support England as a national team. We abhor the 3 lions on their shirt. The union jack is blinding to us.
    We cannot wear that shirt. Your allowed to support them in secret though. You may wear the jersey in the privacy of your own home but step outside and you are asking for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It never seems to be Bury, Oldham, Rochdale or Stockport they support though.

Always united, no matter what part of the Manchester area they lived in.

Do you know where those places are? I've been to Bury and Rochdale games and they're not that close to Manchester City area or even each other.

How many of the big Irish players played for those teams? You know our best players who people would dream of being like growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

lukesmom wrote: »
    Don't do it man. Just don't....unwritten rule over here we do NOT support England as a national team. We abhor the 3 lions on their shirt. The union jack is blinding to us.

Lucky that's not on it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Liam O wrote: »
    Do you know where those places are? I've been to Bury and Rochdale games and they're not that close to Manchester City area or even each other.

How many of the big Irish players played for those teams?

The Greater Manchester Area where many Irish resided.

Anyone in the the city area should be City supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I got myself a Rangers one there yesterday...looks good!

How much was the VAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I suppose someone has to be a friend of the English ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'm not a mad republican by any stretch. I'd even praise English/British things from time to time and have been accused of being a West Brit on more than one occasion. But in all honesty I'd rather be savaged to death by a pack of hungry feral dogs than wear an England soccer shirt. It's just not cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Agricola wrote: »
    I'm not a mad republican by any stretch. I'd even praise English/British things from time to time and have been accused of being a West Brit on more than one occasion. But in all honesty I'd rather be savaged to death by a pack of hungry feral dogs than wear an England soccer shirt. It's just not cricket.

Which is fair enough, in the same way I'd never wear a Scotland, Wales or Ireland shirt.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Being Irish generally means 'not English' so I'd find it a bit odd for an Irish born person to wear one, I read that English-born 2nd generation Ireland fans avoided the 1995 Landsdowne Rd 'friendly' like the plague as they didn't want to be associated with the Sasana, I'd guess they get sick enough of being taken for 'Brits' when they come home to see their folks, they wouldn't wear them or avidly follow England either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

meeeeh wrote: »
    Wearing football jerseys outside football stadiums is tacky unless you are 5. Possible exception is Nigerian jersey which is apparently hipster fashion statement.

The St. Pauli jersey is the holy grail of hipster sportswear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lukesmom wrote: »
    We cannot wear that shirt. Your allowed to support them in secret though. You may wear the jersey in the privacy of your own home but step outside and you are asking for it :)

You confused with the flag of St George?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I bought a pair of England shorts a few years back when I was up north. The were a nice fit and looked nice too. They were in a bargain basket for something like £3. I got a good three years 6 aside out of them. The odd gob****e made a smart comment.
    I'd imagine wearing an England jersey just wouldn't be worth it at your average 5 aside. The historical relationship between the two Islands is the problem. The ****e you would have to listen from all the lads in their United shirts would wear you down. Its a shame as they generally have a nice jersey.
    I wore a French Jersey to my 6 aside last Sunday evening, the only person to comment was the french guy who plays with us!

Agricola wrote: »

Of those two options, I'd take the shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭billyhead

I will be supporting England and couldn't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks. I support an English club. I would always support our nearest and dearest including Wales and Scotland and I know a lot of the people form these countries would do likewise and support us as long as we weren't playing one another or n the same group.

W123-80's wrote: »
    I bought a pair of England shorts a few years back when I was up north. The were a nice fit and looked nice too. They were in a bargain basket for something like £3. I got a good three years 6 aside out of them. The odd gob****e made a smart comment.
    I'd imagine wearing an England jersey just wouldn't be worth it at your average 5 aside. The historical relationship between the two Islands is the problem. The ****e you would have to listen from all the lads in their United shirts would wear you down. Its a shame as they generally have a nice jersey.
    I wore a French Jersey to my 6 aside last Sunday evening, the only person to comment was the french guy who plays with us!

Were you expecting compliments?

Do you not understand the vast gulf in difference between what an Irish person's attitude would be to another Irish person wearing an England shirt versus a French shirt?

I've seen plenty English lads wearing England tops at footie and never a comment passed. It's not the shirt. It's the context behind the person wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

feargale wrote: »
    Would I be in trouble if I bought a Danish one? That crowd gave us alot of hassle once upon a time.

The Vikings who attacked Ireland were mostly from what is now Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

lawred2 wrote: »
    Of those two options, I'd take the shirt

Well, yeah, if those are the choices. ;)

On the supporting England thing, most people who follow English teams don't like the inconsistency being pointed out.

For someone who doesn't support an English club (St Patrick's Athletic through and through) I don't really feel any great animosity towards the National team, especially now. It was always a good laugh when they inevitably imploded at a tournament, mainly for the wailing and gnashing of teeth of the tv pundits who had convinced themselves they were contenders. Now even that has died off though, as the reality of where they are in the pecking order sinks in. Now when I hear England players saying they think they can win it (I suppose they have to say that). I just think, ah, bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Menelaun wrote: »
    Bought the new England Jersey today in Dublin,some of my mates are horrified I bought one.
    Just explain that you bought it to burn, and they'll be totally okay with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

You'd be sent home early?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Can't stand that look - wearing a sports jersey as casual-wear around the place. County colours then are even worse. And that awful Irish green.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If we invade England you can be a spy .

Your not against getting shot are ya .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

W123-80's wrote: »

You should wear a Saudi Arabian one to get wowed by all the women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

billyhead wrote: »
    I will be supporting England and couldn't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks. I support an English club. I would always support our nearest and dearest including Wales and Scotland and I know a lot of the people form these countries would do likewise and support us as long as we weren't playing one another or n the same group.

Don’t tell me, you’re from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

blinding wrote: »
    If we invade England you can be a spy .

Your not against getting shot are ya .

“How do you do fellow Brits”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

It's ok to wear it if you are either english or a total knob.

Aren't they the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The Vikings who attacked Ireland were mostly from what is now Norway.

That is the general opinion, but there were DubhGhaill (Doyles, as in John and Jimmy) and FionnGhaill (as in Fingal), and while it's a bit woolly many hold that the one were Danes and the other Norwegians. The Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde, Denmark exhibits a ship which was built in Dublin, so clearly we had visits from both nationalities.

Anyway I'll play safe and refrain from wearing a Norwegian jersey as well.

While I'm at it maybe I should also shun the French and Belgians (Norman French and Norman Flemish) and the Dutch (William of Orange, who also incidentally, had many Danish and German mercenaries in his army here.) And the Germans bombed Dublin.
    I have to be missing a few. Even an African jersey isn't safe. The Algerians sacked Baltimore in 1631.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The NY Mets are my favourite squadron.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I am English, but still wont wear one outside the privacy of my own home. I kinda like my face the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Menelaun wrote: »
    Bought the new England Jersey today in Dublin,some of my mates are horrified I bought one.

Is this a common reaction still considering the majority of fans support English teams?

Probably the same mates that have no bother sticking on an Arsenal or Liverpool shirt every week man. Personally, I wouldn't wear one but such is life. I'm an LOI fan, and the only interest in any Jersey I've got is where I chose to set up me bank account ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

AllForIt wrote: »
    Can't stand that look - wearing a sports jersey as casual-wear around the place. County colours then are even worse. And that awful Irish green.

I don't find football jersey as bad. GAA jerseys are a different story. I am a t-shirt man myself, so I will be wearing my England tshirt on Monday. Think t-shirts are much better value than the jerseys.

Advertisement