Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail student fare fine for wrong leap card type

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

OP write a letter to Irish Rail explaining the misunderstanding etc. They might waive the fine

IMO the student leapcard etc are a racket for CIE. Most other countries in Europe allow students to buy student tickets with forcing them to hand over €12/15 for a piece of plastic to say they are a student. It is bizarre that someone in UCD, UCC, DCU etc get a student ID and then has to pay €12/15 to CIE to travel as a student. In Munich, Berlin, Prague etc, the local bus/train company gives you a free student travel card.

I thought they didn't need the Student Leap Card (previously branded as Student Travel Card) anymore? A couple of years ago IR did promotions on the basis they'd accept the College ID for student tickets. A lot of people posting here at the time seemed to take it that, that was to lead into College IDs becoming normalised for purchasing those tickets.

Edit:
    Also, the Student Leap Card has also acted as a discount card as well, for a rather nonimal buy-in fee to that scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I thought they didn't need the Student Leap Card (previously branded as Student Travel Card) anymore? A couple of years ago IR did promotions on the basis they'd accept the College ID for student tickets. A lot of people posting here at the time seemed to take it that, that was to lead into College IDs becoming normalised for purchasing those tickets.

Edit:
    Also, the Student Leap Card has also acted as a discount card as well, for a rather nonimal buy-in fee to that scheme.

You can use your student card to buy student tickets and the travel card for weekly and monthly tickets.. You can use the leap part of the card to avail of a lower cap on the daily and weekly fares in the leap zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

OP write a letter to Irish Rail explaining the misunderstanding etc. They might waive the fine

IMO the student leapcard etc are a racket for CIE. Most other countries in Europe allow students to buy student tickets with forcing them to hand over €12/15 for a piece of plastic to say they are a student. It is bizarre that someone in UCD, UCC, DCU etc get a student ID and then has to pay €12/15 to CIE to travel as a student. In Munich, Berlin, Prague etc, the local bus/train company gives you a free student travel card.

The OP has the right to appeal a fine but i don't know if the i made a mistake line will work. No harm in trying though.

Advertisement