Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dreamcast just turned orange!

Options
  • 08-05-2011 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

So I collected my Dreamcast this evening after dropping it off to a boards.ie member on Friday. Not sure I'm allowed to name names here but he's a known name in the console modding forum. Fair play to him, he's a nice guy, done the job just like he said he would and charged a fair price, even collected it from me on Friday.

Collected it tonight and have now got the Dreamcast mod chip I ordered from Console Goods installed AND I had the region mod wiring done. Collected my console tonight and ran the region changer software CD.

Delighted to say my Dreamcast is now converted from Blue > Europe > PAL > English to Orange > Japan > NTSC > English. I tested it with Mars Matrix which now runs at full screen, full speed. Lovely stuff!

An orange Dreamcast is a happy Dreamcast (an overjoyed Dreamcast is an orange Dreamcast connected to a Dreamcast Arcade Stick!). :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Going by the thread title I thought you were gonna start giving out about it for some reason :pac:

Master of the Universe

Going by the thread title I thought you were gonna start giving out about it for some reason :pac:

Same, I thought maybe the modder dude spilled Fanta on it or something :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen ;)

Yep will do so of course. I heard you can change the boot logo to black too apparently. Not sure how though.

Love the NTSC-J output though I'm using RF right now until my VGA box arrives. Hate RF, how did we put up with it as kids?!

Sorry if the thread title was misleading!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Be careful with the region changer mod, did the guy fit a switch to enable/disable the circuit? Certain games will overwrite the region area of the bios if the circuit is left on while booting the game, & if that happens the DC is bricked on the next boot - it happened to me once so I'm very wary of it.

Once you have a switch though you can disable the circuit after the region change & your protected :) Who's the modder anyway, I need a snes mod done :D

I didn't have a switch fitted no, that said, can I just break the circuit by cutting and/or removing the connecting wire and it'll stay NTSC-J?

The modder was a user named docentore I found via the modding forum. Nice guy, friendly and done the job I asked of him for a fair price (I never asked for the switch to be fitted, wasn't aware I needed one).

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I didn't have a switch fitted no, that said, can I just break the circuit by cutting and/or removing the connecting wire and it'll stay NTSC-J?

The modder was a user named docentore I found via the modding forum. Nice guy, friendly and done the job I asked of him for a fair price (I never asked for the switch to be fitted, wasn't aware I needed one).

Yep the switch only serves to break the 12v to the bios flash chip, so I'd really look into adding a switch of removing the 12v wire as its bad to have it permanently connected also.

Docentore is 100%, knows his stuff and then some!

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yep the switch only serves to break the 12v to the bios flash chip, so I'd really look into adding a switch of removing the 12v wire as its bad to have it permanently connected also.

Docentore is 100%, knows his stuff and then some!

Cool, I can just cut the wire then? I've no plans to change from NTSC-J > 60hz > English to anything else. Or does cutting the wire remove the region change?

I'd like to fit a switch ideally but if I don't need to due to my requirements then I'll just cut the wire and be done with it.

Yep he seems like a good guy to me. Even collected my console from me to save me extra hassle. His profile portrays him as an XBOX guru but he took on the Dreamcast job no bother. Highly recommend him to anyone. :)

Double check with him first incase he done the mod a different way etc, but yeah in general cutting the wire will prevent the bios from being overwritten & corrupted by certain games.

When it happened to mine, I got a black swirl on boot & as the region info was corrupted, it wouldn't boot any discs - even the region changer disc which would fix it. The console was essentially a paperweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This something I should be looking into with my new dreamcast? to be honest, haven't even turned mine on yet bar to see if it would :o

When it happened to mine, I got a black swirl on boot & as the region info was corrupted, it wouldn't boot any discs - even the region changer disc which would fix it. The console was essentially a paperweight.

Owch! I'll make sure to cut the wire. He should have done it by soldering a piece of wire to the two points on the board that allow data to write to the BIOS. At least that's the guide I found and gave to him along with the Console Goods website instructions for installing my Dreamcast 4 wire mod chip.

I'll open the case myself and have a look so. I've no intention of changing anything so I think it should be safe enough to just cut the wire. I guess if I left it cut in half but soldered to the points I could always strip the wire and twist it together to make a connection if needed in future? :confused:

What's the PAL_N output setting by the way? Is it worth changing to that or is NTSC the better bet?

JAPAN > NTSC > ENGLISH

or

JAPAN > PAL_N > ENGLISH

Which is better? Or what would you recommend setting it to?

RedXIV wrote: »
    This something I should be looking into with my new dreamcast? to be honest, haven't even turned mine on yet bar to see if it would :o

You don't have to, you can use a boot disc. However I want to buy/collect NTSC-J SHMUPS and I don't like the boot discs. I also wanted the orange boot screen and a full switch to take my PAL console to a fully fledged NTSC Japanese console so I got two mods done on mine.

Wish I could find orange logo console stickers though to complete the forgery! :D

The two points are on the underside of the motherboard, so you'll have to dismantle the whole thing (depending on how doc did the mod). As I said, check with him first before doing anything :)

The two points are on the underside of the motherboard, so you'll have to dismantle the whole thing (depending on how doc did the mod). As I said, check with him first before doing anything :)

Ah didn't realize that, thanks. I'll check with him and see what he says. Either way I want to look at getting that sorted sharpish right?

Don't suppose you're keen on fitting a switch are you? :D

Ah didn't realize that, thanks. I'll check with him and see what he says. Either way I want to look at getting that sorted sharpish right?

Don't suppose you're keen on fitting a switch are you? :D

Your better off doing it sooner rather than later, I'm not 100% sure but the game that killed mine was Sega Rally 2 I think, but there are others known to write to the flash chip.

I honestly havn't got the time dude, either ask Doc to fit a chip or just sever the wire. You can just twist it together again to flash in the future, just be careful of shorts etc.

Master of the Universe

You don't have to, you can use a boot disc. However I want to buy/collect NTSC-J SHMUPS and I don't like the boot discs. I also wanted the orange boot screen and a full switch to take my PAL console to a fully fledged NTSC Japanese console so I got two mods done on mine.

Wish I could find orange logo console stickers though to complete the forgery! :D

It depends what he wants it for really. If he wants to play Dreamcast backups in most cases you don't need a boot disc as they come patched already. Just burn a copy and you're good to go.

Jap Shmup collections are a great idea...just make sure you know when to say stop. If not you'll end in the poor house! I almost gave in and bought a Progear CPS2 board a few months back. Had to slap myself a few times to hold back.

I honestly havn't got the time dude, either ask Doc to fit a chip or just sever the wire. You can just twist it together again to flash in the future, just be careful of shorts etc.

I'm actually not even using my console right now, this is all just prep work for when my VGA box arrives (I bought a VGA>HDMI to go with it) so no rush at all. I can't stand the RF output hence I'm not walking hot coals in order to play it, just taking my time.

I think severing the wire is the route I'll take. Is it fiddly to totally dismantle the console to get to it? I plan to leave enough wire so as to twist it back together if needed and just cover the exposed wires with electrical tape I think.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Jap Shmup collections are a great idea...just make sure you know when to say stop. If not you'll end in the poor house!

I'm getting married in under 9 weeks, I'm already in the poor house! :D

True though, some of the games I'll make do with backups until I can afford them. Planning to start buying originals around August time so the fun will start then!

Got confirmation of the wiring. It's just the single wire mod for the region change. Looks like I'll be disassembling the console tonight to cut the wire. :o

• Advertisement

Just to also note, leaving the flash chip wired to 12v will eventually kill the chip
    Some games can (and will) ruin the boot block of the flash if you let it enabled. Also At least for the Fujitsu flash it's said the part can resist for about 80 hours with the /reset pin at 12v level. Beyond that there's no warranty of safe operation by the manufacturer. So after the flashing has been done, the wire must be removed. (Wise you put a switch for the purpose of not ruining the flash)

Source

So even cutting the wire is no good? Bah! I need someone to fit a switch for me please!

So even cutting the wire is no good? Bah! I need someone to fit a switch for me please!

Cutting the wire is the same as fitting a switch & having it in the off position :) Cut the wire, & then extend the two halves with extra wire. Then run the extended halves to a place where you can access them easily & don't have to strip the whole unit down to reflash if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Yep, thats me who did the mod. TBH I have no clue anbout dreamcast mods, this was just handy soldering job.
    Basically what I did is:
    1.installed 4 wire chip
    2. 12V to R512 point
    3. bridged R422 resistor point

If any member can me pm or point me to to better way to do it/fix it (as I said I was basing on instruction given) I will be happy to mod it again as a courtesy without any charge if Pyongyang can drop me the console to me.
    I'm getting married in under 9 weeks, I'm already in the poor house! :D
    !

If you love your consoles you still have 9 weeks to rethink. It took me half a year to convince that this is better than spending >€150 every week clubbing. But she still looks very strange at the 2600 I got from EN sitting beside PS3 ;)

but seriously: whats the best way to do it. Lads help us out here

docentore wrote: »
    If any member can me pm or point me to to better way to do it/fix it (as I said I was basing on instruction given) I will be happy to mod it again as a courtesy without any charge if Pyongyang can drop me the console to me.

If you love your consoles you still have 9 weeks to rethink. It took me half a year to convince that this is better than spending >€150 every week clubbing. But she still looks very strange at the 2600 I got from EN sitting beside PS3 ;)

Top man, thanks for the kind offer. :)

Ah it's all good, I've had 6 years of "aren't you too old for video games?" and "how much is that game?" and "I could buy shoes with that money"

You get used to it. :D

Top man, thanks for the kind offer. :)

Ah it's all good, I've had 6 years of "aren't you too old for video games?" and "how much is that game?" and "I could buy shoes with that money"

You get used to it. :D

that sega/2600/snes doesn't go well with modern design of our place

Looks like I'm getting a switch fitted tonight! Nice one docentore!

I'll sing your praises again mate, if anyone needs a modding job done, this is the guy to see. Top man. Thanks! :)

docentore wrote: »
    but seriously: whats the best way to do it. Lads help us out here

The way you did it is perfect, just fit a switch on the wire you installed so that you can break the 12v going to the flash chip when its not needed :)

These lads will keep you busy doc, I'd start reading all these if I were you - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/ :D

• Advertisement

These lads will keep you busy doc

384512-floodgates-open.jpg

Advertisement