Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dreamcast just turned orange!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

EnterNow wrote: »
    The way you did it is perfect, just fit a switch on the wire you installed so that you can break the 12v going to the flash chip when its not needed :)

Thats was my idea
    These lads will keep you busy doc, I'd start reading all these if I were you - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/ :D

as long as money keeps flowing I am ok ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Would a region-free BIOS not have been a better solution?

I personally have no qualms using a boot disk for JAP or US games, but if I was modding a DC, I'd have gone with the Dev/Retail combi BIOS, plenty of info available, cheap, and the procedure seems to be robust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

tmcw wrote: »
    Would a region-free BIOS not have been a better solution?

I personally have no qualms using a boot disk for JAP or US games, but if I was modding a DC, I'd have gone with the Dev/Retail combi BIOS, plenty of info available, cheap, and the procedure seems to be robust.

Using a blower to desolder a flash chip, programme it & refit it...versus....a single wire? A better solution sure, but unless there's a way to flash that bios without desoldering the chip then hardly worth the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen ;)

How about video or it didn't happen? :D

Dunno what happened when I first connected it but I either overloaded it or blew a fuse. I ended up changing the 5 amp fuse in the plug that connects to the console with a 13 amp one. Works perfectly fine now.

Think I'll definitely be investing in an SLG 3000 and possibly some image processing equipment. Not happy with the blurry, stretchy looking VGA image at all. I can live with it for now but some serious image processing awaits further down the road!

Left it alone after this test as I'm awaiting my switch to be fitted tomorrow and don't want to render the console a paperweight thanks to the BIOS/12v issue.

Anyway, here's the video I shot tonight:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Using a blower to desolder a flash chip, programme it & refit it...versus....a single wire? A better solution sure, but unless there's a way to flash that bios without desoldering the chip then hardly worth the effort.

The BIOS chip on the DC isn't flashable; the procedure is to piggy-back a flashable chip onto it, and use the DC to flash the BIOS to the new chip, like what's done with the region changer. With a switch, you can then switch between the original BIOS or the flashable BIOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »

Think I'll definitely be investing in an SLG 3000 and possibly some image processing equipment. Not happy with the blurry, stretchy looking VGA image at all. I can live with it for now but some serious image processing awaits further down the road!

My SLG 3000's should be arriving any day now. I bought two, one with a case and one with just the board as I have a few modding ideas I want to try with this thing.

I'll let you know if its any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

tmcw wrote: »
    The BIOS chip on the DC isn't flashable; the procedure is to piggy-back a flashable chip onto it, and use the DC to flash the BIOS to the new chip, like what's done with the region changer. With a switch, you can then switch between the original BIOS or the flashable BIOS.

Sounds like a better way for sure, but too elaborate to achieve the same result. Whats involved in having the two chips switch selectable? Lifting pins from the mobo etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    My SLG 3000's should be arriving any day now. I bought two, one with a case and one with just the board as I have a few modding ideas I want to try with this thing.

I'll let you know if its any good.

Still buying two of everything?! You'll fit more variation in your house if you just stick to 1 of everything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Still buying two of everything?! You'll fit more variation in your house if you just stick to 1 of everything :D

That's why I moved into a bigger house :D

I'll just be buying the 1 Candy Cab though :( , for now :D

Advertisement