Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Addictions

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I have been procrastinating all summer on my thesis for my masters. Vicious routine to get into - procrastinate, feel guilty, sabotage myself. Doing the masters on a scholarship though so really can't afford to fcuk this up!!
    I'm addicted to tea, chocolate and procrastinating. tea isn't bad for me and sugar/chocolate leaves me with a little bit of a belly but it's procrastinating that comes with a huge cost. Over the last 12 years college courses I didn't finish, staying way too long in jobs that were beneath me as jobhunting is painful and almost never have my bedroom tidy. It's scary how much time you can waste browsing websites/YouTube or just doing stupid crap.. the problem is it's so much more comfortable and relaxing compared to making you brain make decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jjC123 wrote: »
    Just for the sake of argument, if you pop an aspirin each morning and have have a glass of Jameson each evening, neither will have a serious negative impact (assuming you're healthy).

But if you feel you simply can't get through the day without doing each of these things, aren't you addicted? Even if it's not making you physically ill?

No and this is where the errors currently being made re eg codeine get it wrong. Using codeine stably and with full medical approval for years to good effect with no increase in dosage is not the same as craving it when there is no physical injury etc and then increasing the dose over and over again to sate the craving .

Thank you! I needed to say that!

Re the Jamesons etc; we all need eg food every day and have favourites we would find it hard to spend a day without. We are creatures of habit. And need and deserve these small comforts..

I'm probably a bit addicted to exercise. Primarily swimming, running and yoga. Its crucial for my mental as well as physical well-being. I haven't had any proper exercise in weeks due to circumstances and injury, and I really feel it. I like being active and just feel sluggish and slow and restless when I'm forced to be sedentary.

Other than that I'll have a big mug of tea almost hourly. I've never tried to quit but I don't think it'd be fun for anyone if I did. I'm also a voracious reader, but I'm not sure that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Coffee, beer, ciggies, crap food. I'm not worried though - I reckon I probably have at least a week more life expectancy left in me at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Candie wrote: »
    I'm probably a bit addicted to exercise. Primarily swimming, running and yoga. Its crucial for my mental as well as physical well-being. I haven't had any proper exercise in weeks due to circumstances and injury, and I really feel it. I like being active and just feel sluggish and slow and restless when I'm forced to be sedentary.

Other than that I'll have a big mug of tea almost hourly. I've never tried to quit but I don't think it'd be fun for anyone if I did. I'm also a voracious reader, but I'm not sure that counts.

Wow exercise..I wish that was my addiction
    I get addicted to everything nice, coffee, going on laptop,wine and spirits, all sweet things, greasy fatty foods, staying up late, funnily enough hated smoking when I try it on nights out though. Despite all this I have a lot of self restraint to resist all them so Im still reasonably healthy

I hate the feeling of having not exercised in a while too but its only because I feel myself getting fat and pudgy and not any clean wholesome love for the outdoors and being active. If I could have a six pack and lie on the couch all day that would be my life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Crisps!!! Feckin CRISPS!!! love 'em and I know they are bad for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I see the WHO have recognised addiction to computer games as a mental illness. I fear one of my young lads is addicted. Don’t have direct access to them during the week; but he’s hopelessly addicted to online gaming, to the detriment of his education and personal life. He was always the more insular of the kids, but isn’t autistic or anything. However his grades have been impacted and he has stopped taking any sort of sport or exercise. Personal hygiene is never great with teenagers, but that’s a worry for me as well. I don’t want him to become one of this heavily bearded fat men in their 20’s and 30’s who classify themselves as ‘gamers’, and are addicted to spending their evenings ‘gaming’.

I’ve implored my battle axe of an ex to just block the internet between 8 and 8, but she has her own addictions - cake, and flicking through social media looking at dresses about 8 sizes too small for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MadamRazz

Orange flavoured tictacs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

wakka12 wrote: »
    Wow exercise..I wish that was my addiction
    I get addicted to everything nice, coffee, going on laptop,wine and spirits, all sweet things, greasy fatty foods, staying up late, funnily enough hated smoking when I try it on nights out though. Despite all this I have a lot of self restraint to resist all them so Im still reasonably healthy

I hate the feeling of having not exercised in a while too but its only because I feel myself getting fat and pudgy and not any clean wholesome love for the outdoors and being active. If I could have a six pack and lie on the couch all day that would be my life
    I could do with getting addicted to exercise bit I find it very boring after awhile .

Advertisement