Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the LUAS red line as bad as you all make out?

• 19-07-2017 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭

Some posts here would make the causal reader think that the LUAS is dangerous

I have to go to Moran's Hotel in Red Cow tomorrow.

www.a-b's suggestion involves the Red line from Heuston, and a bit of a walk.

What say ye - am I throwing myself to the tigers of Dublin's northside? Or is it 99.999% likely to be just fine?

Or would it be best to arrive earlier and catch a bus instead?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

heh - the red line is mainly on the southside.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Its not the most pleasant experience depending on the time of day, however I've never had anything bad happen to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

heh - the red line is mainly on the southside.

Westside = Northside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just ignore the wallet inspectors and you'll be fine.

(They only operate at weekends....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you arent offended by the Abbey street crew shooting up on the seat next to you, no problem.

Green line deteriorated a fair bit too after the last expansion. Theres such a thing as too far south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Westside = Northside.

Dublin doesn't have a Westside. Never had, never will just an attempt to define the southside as greater D4

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I get it twice a day (im on it now!). Its fine 95% of the time. You do get the odd unpleasantness.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

No it's not.

Which parts of the route are you planning to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭threetrees

You'll be fine. There are a few rough and undesirable individuals on it but they won't harm or bother you. It's just the general feel of the Red line is that's it's a bit rough but I wouldn't be avoiding it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Just stand behind the driver in case you need to beg to get into the safety of his cab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

I though I seen it all till the morning when a passenger pulled down his trackies and took a ****, Howls of laughter glee and delight from his buddies who thought it was hilarious, A few other disgusted passengers moved up the carriage, "Lads, Have ye any tissues" He shouted after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Its on the southside,
    and its grand 95percent of the time
    the other 5 percent is basically just muppets and weirdos
    can't forget the kids who are between 7-13 acting a maggot throwing stones at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

Del.Monte wrote:
    Westside = Northside.

Remind me never to go camping with you ................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

Generally grand while on the North side - a bit more trouble once it gets to the south side but you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

A moving lunatic asylum which fills me with anxiety and dread!

You'll be fine, but it won't be pleasant

Honestly i cant understand how anyone can commute on that daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I though I seen it all till the morning when a passenger pulled down his trackies and took a ****, Howls of laughter glee and delight from his buddies who thought it was hilarious, A few other disgusted passengers moved up the carriage, "Lads, Have ye any tissues" He shouted after them.

Sounds like he's going to be a well turned out productive member of society, I'd love to swap wasters like him for a Pole who comes over to work and contributes to the country anyday.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I got the Red Line from The Point to Abbey Street Daily and rarely saw an issue to be honest, once you go further south though it gets worse and Jervis is not always a nice stop to be at.

devnull wrote: »
    I got the Red Line from The Point to Abbey Street Daily and rarely saw an issue to be honest, once you go further south though it gets worse and Jervis is not always a nice stop to be at.

The Abbey Street Stop is also an 'experience'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Have used the Red Line relatively regularly over the last number years (usually Connolly to Tallaght or Saggart) and never had any issues, regardless of time of day/night. Some of the stops can be 'interesting', but I've not had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanrambo87

Ah Jasis you'll be grand bud, just enjoy the view out the window, keep to yourself and try not to look like a victim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Its the primary transportation system for scumbags since they dont have to pay a penny and fines do not apply to them, only decent folk.

I'd just keep your eyes peeled. I seen some amount of **** on that line.

My own rules for it are to move down/up the carriage away from whatever is kicking off or about to and if its really messy get out at the next stop and wait for the next tram on the line, usually only 3-5 minutes wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ah Jasis you'll be grand bud, just enjoy the view out the window, keep to yourself and try not to look like a victim.

Cheers lads - I think the above is great advice in lots of situations.

I'll be travelling Heuston to Red Cow on the way out, and Red Cow to Abbey St on the way back, I know about Abbey St, have been around there before.

Hopefully won't have any down-trou incidents to report!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mishkashubaly

If you have any sort of awareness of your surroundings it's fine. I use it daily for work and at night at the weekends and worst I've come across is the odd zombified junkie asking for change or a smoke, or the annoying young teenagers who like to get a chase off the luas security lads between Rialto and James. It's not the NYC subway in the 80's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Sounds like he's going to be a well turned out productive member of society, I'd love to swap wasters like him for a Pole who comes over to work and contributes to the country anyday.

dey tuk r... jobbies... it appears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My only problem is when those beautiful nomadic folk get on at Kylemore with no comprehension of how to behave in a civilised society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 13 bus may be just as quick from James's Street if not faster given the reasonably long walk back from Red Cow LUAS stop to Moran's Hotel.

For reference the closest stop on the 13 is stop 1941 which you can get to by walking 5 minutes up Steeven's Lane, turning left at the top and crossing to the far side of James's Street. The 69 serves stop 7078 outbound on Parkgate Street.

The return stop opposite the Morans Hotel is 1977 which is served by the 13 and 69.

You can check real time information at www.dublinbus.ie/rtpi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

An even shorter walk is bus 69, just around the corner at Parkgate Street. Only runs once an hour, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

Westside = Northside.
    Southside = Northside I suppose, since the Luas is mostly south of the Liffey. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The Red Line is really an eye opener to be honest but you'll be grand. There are people regularly tapping on it now, 2 euro bud, etc. I was at the Red Cow stop one Friday when there was a crash at Kingswood meaning all trams stopped at Red Cow. The platform filled up quite quickly with shedloads of people who could only be described as being in a very bad way. Tram after tram. Really sad to be honest to see such a volume of people destroyed by drugs, and hanging, absolutely hanging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

plodder wrote: »
    Southside = Northside I suppose, since the Luas is mostly south of the Liffey. :rolleyes:

I always found it laughable when people describe the green line as servicing the southside and red line servicing the northside. They are both a service from the Southside to the city centre. Just one happens to end up slightly north of the Liffey.

I always found it laughable when people describe the green line as servicing the southside and red line servicing the northside. They are both a service from the Southside to the city centre. Just one happens to end up slightly north of the Liffey.

You're being a little facetious imo if you don't acknowledge that one tram running from tallaght through fatima and Jervis to abbey st isn't a totally different prospect to one running between dundrum and Stephens green

You're being a little facetious imo if you don't acknowledge that one tram running from tallaght through fatima and Jervis to abbey st isn't a totally different prospect to one running between dundrum and Stephens green
    I think you may have missed the point there.

plodder wrote: »
    I think you may have missed the point there.

Which is?

Which is?
    that the Northside is separated from the Southside by the Liffey. It's not a collective term for all the dodgy neighborhoods of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i user the red line luas fairly regularly for my commute, if im travelling at peak times, because of its regularity and reliable travel times.

and its grand. i think of it as superior expereince to the bus routes along that stip, eg 27, 77a 54a. On almost 100% of my journeys on luas i have seen security or ticket inspectors etc at some stage of my journey.

PS i don't feel intimidated if a see scumbag on the train, so perhaps the difference it doesn't bother me. But there's just as many on the bus, and you won't see a ticket inspector person more than twice a year on the buses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Whereas you are being more than a little selective in your geographical description of the two lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Was all good. Swarms of revenue protection lads on both trams so not a scummer in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I use it regularly and it's nowhere near as dangerious as people make out.
    The thing is two fold:
    1. Of the violent incidents that happen on the Luas, a massively disproportionate amount happen on the Red line for the simple fact that it goes through places like Tallaght whereas the Green line goes through places like Dundrum.

2. As others have alluded to there is a general feeling of unease about it due to the presence of scumbags who look so cartoonish they remind one of the mutants from Futurama.  Contrary to anecdotes you hear all the time (as they say, "the plual of anecdote is not data"), they do not "all" have free travel or anywhere close to it, I've actually gone so far as to run the numbers down on this twice before

There is no box on the application form for "knacker" or "addict" that one can tick to get a card.
    You only get those cards if you are a senior citizen, carer or disabled and a disability is very narrowly defined through an exhaustive medical report that must pass your own GP, a welfare officer and a medical officer the latter two from the DSP who have no interest in doing you any favors, quite the contrary.  No medical condition (addiction or not, not even cancer) automatically qualifies for it, it must be a disabling condition lasting longer than a year, in other words it inhibits any normal functioning (socializing, working etc) and can be randomly reviewed at any time by a DSP appointed doctor.  Some of them fit this criteria, some of them because of complications relating to addiction, but it's not easy to get I know that from personal experience.  I had two life threatening illnesses and hadn't socialized or worked normally for 2 years at the time of my application and I had trouble getting it

Scumbags just don't bother paying the fare most of the time, that's why you don't see a ticket in their hands, and they are not deterred by the prospect of court action like normal people as they've grown up with it, they don't care about a conviction or a fine damaging their reputation because they don't have one to protect, and any fine they can just say I don't have it and pay 5/10er a week out of social welfare (if they're on it, which almost all of them are)

The problem of them bothering you is much bigger than attacking you, for example they'll bug you for change "for me fare", when you know it's not for the fare, they hang around Connoly and various Luas stops pulling this act, ironically this makes it harder for anyone ACTUALLY stuck for fare to be taken seriously, though all you need do is take a look at them and what they're wearing etc to see if they're legit (sorry , but it's true).
    They also love arguing with their girlfriends viciously but, and I remember this groundhog day act from my days in security, they'll be dry humping mere minutes after a screaming match or cops having to pull them apart.
    In short, this is the background chatter on the Red line
    Person 1: "I'll puk de bleedin head outta ye ye old slut i know what you were bleedin doin up dere ye b1tch ye!"
    Person 2: "don't f_____g talk to me like that ye b____x I'll s$$£$£9 all over yer bleedin face ye ****£$£$$£$& ye fu___g "$£$£$$£$$,
    Person 1: "ive te do get me methadone and if I see you on the way back i'm throwing ye in front of diz f__n luas I swear te jaysus yar doin me f ____ g head in"
    This is what you'll here on the Green line around Balaly or Dundrum
    Person 1: "oh my gawd loike Sean is loike so ripped did you see those biceps straining against his tshirt oh my gawd! he had a shirtless pic on Instagram and loike gawd he has that real rugby body you know"
    Person 2: "ya I know loike OMFG"
    Person 1: "roysh?"
    Person 2: "ya!...i need to cool down lets go for a Frappachino they have the Grande Mocha Frappachinos in Starbucks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Terrible yoke.

Had to travel to Amiens street from red cow to Amiens street when I worked in town. Lasted 3 months on the red line Luas. That's been the end of me and public transport.

One morning I was surrounded by a gang of Roma trying to pickpocket me. They must have though I came down in the last shower and would not realise what they were at....and I lost the plot and told them to F off you Smelly strokers and a mad rant in very loud terms at 7.30 in the morning. They did not like the fact I was causing a scene and thought I was mad ...

Another time a junkie robbed a lads phone...(never give your phone to someone to ring der Ma......) so the security got on ..at which time the junkie escaped from the luas on a bike st the red cow with the security chasing him...he wasn't exactly speedy gonzales and wobbling all over the place as he he was out of it on the bike but the 2 security were too fat to catch him.....there were always incidents like that....would not get it again

Advertisement