Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown speed limits.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tarabuses wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I do not consider the DLR website as the most obvious source since it is not a website that I am inclined to visit.
    i am trying to think of a coherent response to this but am failing. i am unable to engage with this lack of logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

coylemj wrote: »
    That is completely bizarre.

'We can't slap a 30 kph limit on your estate, we measured the average speeds last week and they were far too high!'

All they're doing is affirming current practice, regardless of whether those speeds are appropriate for that street or not.

Yes, I was a bit surprised, not just at the policy, but that it is openly acknowledged by DLR and the councillors.

Having looked at the Powerpoint that outlined the rationale originally, I asked for clarification.
    Hi <Councillor>,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my reading of the PowerPoint presentation the approach seems to have been:
    "In the absence of any significant funding, we chose the areas that are most likely to comply with a 30kph sign.
    Our experience shows that those already travelling around that speed are most likely to comply"

The implication being that areas with high speed traffic most in need of this measure were excluded because they wouldn't obey the signs?

My above interpretation must be incorrect and I look forward to being put right on the rationale.
    The response I received was,
    Further to your e-mails, I would think you are reading the PowerPoint presentation correctly. I raised your observation/question when we discussed the report. Most of the representations I have received regarding speeding/ramps are in the areas/locations, which will not be included in this scheme. Nearly all the areas/locations included in the scheme have no speeding issues.
    That last line sums it up.
    'tis a great little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

My road is 30km/h though not in Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown. It's still treated as a race track and always will be as no one is going to enforce it.
    Best post in this thread imo.
    I don't even know why this 30kph is being seriously discussed here, its only a gimmick, a public stunt by whatever council you care to mention.
    This morning I witnessed a car doing at least 60Mph OVER a so called speed bump in a residential 30kph zone. Nothing can be taken seriously in this joke of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

josip wrote: »
    Having looked at the Powerpoint
    Is there a link for this?

Victor wrote: »
    Is there a link for this?

I don't have links for them in the public domain, although I expect that they're not confidential.
    They were presented at the February 2nd, 2015 Dun Laoghaire Area Committee on Transportation meeting.
    As far as I know all minutes, submissions are available on the internet?

This I think, is the guiding excerpt which says no to bother lowering the speed limit, if people are driving too far above it.

qdDh9Xj.png

Which is not that objectionable if the council put in place the alternative measures it recommends.
    But DLR claim no money to do anything practical.

(Update)
    Here's the document the excerpt above is taken from
    http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/node/add/content-publication/Guidelines%20for%20the%20Application%20of%20Special%20Speed%20Limits.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

josip wrote: »
    That last line sums it up.
    'tis a great little country.
    they have no speeding issues at 50km/h, surely?
    the point of this is not to catch people speeding, but to slow people down in estates. just because they had no issues with people speeding (presumably at the previous speed limit) has no bearing on whether lowering the speed limit is a good idea.

they have no speeding issues at 50km/h, surely?
    the point of this is not to catch people speeding, but to slow people down in estates. just because they had no issues with people speeding (presumably at the previous speed limit) has no bearing on whether lowering the speed limit is a good idea.

I'm not sure I understand you fully.
    I agree that the point is not to catch people speeding but to slow people down.
    But they're not slowing people down.
    They're applying the speed limit to estates where people were already driving at or near the new 30kp/h, and not where people were driving considerably faster.
    So very few people will actually be slowed down

to elaborate - the councillor said there was no history of speeding in the estates in question - my assumption (which may be incorrect) is that he is referring to estates which *had* a 50km/h limit, and that there was no issue with speeding at the 50km/h limit? i.e. i have assumed that the 30km/h limits have not been in long enough for figures to be available.

btw, i'm taking this separately from the issue where they are not applying a lower limit in areas which *do* have a history of speeding, lest there be any confusion.

also, may be worth mentioning that i have heard an argument forwarded that regardless of enforcement, the signs may reduce average speeds in estates - i.e. the sort of motorist willing to do 60 in a 50 zone may do 45 or 50 in a 30 zone, so even if they still break the limit by the same or a larger margin, they'll still be going slower - and dropping from 60 to 50 means a stopping distance of 5m-10m less.

to elaborate - the councillor said there was no history of speeding in the estates in question - my assumption (which may be incorrect) is that he is referring to estates which *had* a 50km/h limit, and that there was no issue with speeding at the 50km/h limit? i.e. i have assumed that the 30km/h limits have not been in long enough for figures to be available.

btw, i'm taking this separately from the issue where they are not applying a lower limit in areas which *do* have a history of speeding, lest there be any confusion.

My interpretation of what the councillor meant by "speeding issues" was where locals had asked for measures to reduce the speed of cars in areas where they felt it was excessive even though that speed may have been within the limits.
    Not that the car's measured speed was exceeding the speed limit at the time.

This was the issue I had previously raised with the councillor in respect of our estate.
    Probably very few cars drive faster than the 50 kp/h limit, but many cars drive 40+ and considering the poor lines of sight around the green due to parked cars and kids running about, anything above 35 seems unsafe to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

They are bunch of utter incompetent nutters - my mate lives in the DLR, residential area with slightly industrialised neighbourhood. His street got speed humps years ago but no 30kmh limit from recent decision. When he went and asked them why, they told him with humps already there, there is no need for speed limit :-0.
    Oh how he wishes he got it recorded, but unfortunately he didn't.

PS - of course there are lot of cars speed driving over these humps, especially commercial "white" vans, some of them sparks scrapping on the road surface and I bet 30kph is not going to change it.

Advertisement