Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MrKingsley and Barney92's Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

quickbeam wrote: »
    Discuss away LeVar.

Exactly. The more traffic the better.

Word has come down from on high that the reveal will be completed around 9 o’clock

I’ll be looking after the next one. Im planning it for early Friday afternoon if that suits people?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I'll take that position starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

MrKingsley wrote: »

Word has come down from on high...

Was it ding, dong merrily?

...coat got. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Pretzill wrote: »
    Was it ding, dong merrily?

...coat got. :)

just get out & collect your coat outside...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    just get out & collect your coat outside...

giphy.gif

I'd love to be able to give that gif a few bonus points.

We'll be back into it in the next few minutes. I am very sorry to say that my mistake earlier on is going to give Spook a clue as to which end of the table they are in. It it unfortunately a bottom four and a top three.

• Advertisement

f495c5f4d0035f1638b053959a435483.gif

And we are back

In 12th place, scoring 4 points is
    Trigger
    with the following

MrK
    Really like the song and each of their voices. Too much going on to study to this personally.

Barney
    Did not like the first singer's voice and didn't like the "Oh oh oh" parts. It sounds a bit durge like for me. I couldn't get behind this one at all, sorry.

We now move into the medal positions and give
    Drumpot
    bronze and a score of 13 points with the following

MrK
    Love it. Could I study to it. Absolutely. This is the exception here for me I think. This song just really reminds me of a song I used to study to in college.

Barney
    Really really like the beat to this one, I could definitely work or study to this. It has just enough energy in it without being too much. Good entry here.

That means that unfortunately we are in the bottom three now.

In 13th place, scoring 3 points is
    Pretzill
    with the following

MrK
    It feels like I should like this song but your man voice during the chorus really gets on my nerves unfortunately and I just cant get past it.

Barney
    Really like the beginning. Not so sure of the sax I think it is (especially the second time it comes in). Like the backing singers but not a fan of the main signer. I'd find it hard to study to.

Thanks guys - it's not a sax - Iknew as soon as I saw the 3rd position I'd be holding up the rear -

P.s: What are you two studying?? It's not something I've done for a long time :)

In 2nd place, scoring a lovely 14 points is
    Phatkev
    with the following

MrK
    Absolutely love it. Was also waiting/wanting for it to kick in a bit more but that’s me being selfish. It is spot on for the theme.

Barney
    Love the gentle parts of this. It is so soothing and calming, however I'm not as big a fan when it gets more intense but that is just me getting picky I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

ooh back just in time :D

Thanks guys - it's not a sax - Iknew as soon as I saw the 3rd position I'd be holding up the rear -

P.s: What are you two studying?? It's not something I've done for a long time :)

Do you know what I'm talking about, with the sax? What is that?

Neither of us are currently studying actually. We both finished studying in the last few years, studying and now working are the times I listen to music most I'd imagine. I did economics though.

Barney92 wrote: »
    Do you know what I'm talking about, with the sax? What is that?

Neither of us are currently studying actually. We both finished studying in the last few years, studying and now working are the times I listen to music most I'd imagine. I did economics though.

It's the artist's mouth - (not a real saxophone - I love it - but it's not everyone's cup of tea)

I had a difficult time trying to find anything to fit the category as I was studying about 34 years ago :)

Gimme the 29 already, because it wasn't a Slade song anyway... :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thought I had my PM saved for this so I'd remember what I entered.

Turns out I didn't.

Not sure if good or bad yet :/

It's the artist's mouth - (not a real saxophone - I love it - but it's not everyone's cup of tea)

I had a difficult time trying to find anything to fit the category as I was studying about 34 years ago :)

Ooph, then my apologies because if I'd known that it might have gottena few more points from me. I mean I'm not a big fan of the sound but I am more impressed to know that.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Pooh back just in time :D

Sorry spook but it may be time to look away. In somewhat of a break from tradition I'm going to give the bottom two together so that our winner is the last post.

In 2nd place place is
    Necro
    with the following

MrK
    Not wild about the song anyway and think this might be the absolute anti-study song that I could’ve chosen. If I had been able to think of a bogey song for this category it would have been this!

Barney
    Like the song and have worked to it in the past, but I didn't think it was a great one to work to. I sort of have to be in the mood for it

I'm sorry to say that in 15th place, scoring 1 point is
    Spook_ie
    with the following

MrK
    Unfortunately for the sender this would be my anti-study song. I don't really like it at all.

Barney
    The song is okay for me, but not fantastic. I couldn't study to it but I might be able to work to it. I know some people love it but it's not really for me.

Barney92 wrote: »
    Sorry spook but it may be time to look away. In somewhat of a break from tradition I'm going to give the bottom two together so that our winner is the last post.

In 2nd place place is
    Necro
    with the following

MrK
    Not wild about the song anyway and think this might be the absolute anti-study song that I could’ve chosen. If I had been able to think of a bogey song for this category it would have been this!

Barney
    Like the song and have worked to it in the past, but I didn't think it was a great one to work to. I sort of have to be in the mood for it

I'm sorry to say that in 15th place, scoring 1 point is
    Spook_ie
    with the following

MrK
    Unfortunately for the sender this would be my anti-study song. I don't really like it at all.

Barney
    The song is okay for me, but not fantastic. I couldn't study to it but I might be able to work to it. I know some people love it but it's not really for me.

What a travesty

Which means that we have reached the end of the night's reveal and our first round is over, or at least it will be by the end of this post.

Our glorious leader after round one is
    Ectoplasm
    who provided this frankly delightful entry

MrK
    Absolutely beautiful piece. Definitely never listened to it in its entirety before. Exactly the type of music that I could leave on it the background.

Barney
    Oh what a tune, contest closed. That piano is magical. It is energetic but not too distracting. This is exactly the sort of thing I could study and work to and be happy.

Well done Ecto, nice choice. Thanks Barney & Mr K for a fine reveal. Can I ask that you title the tracks for when we're on mobile and can't click the YouTube links to listen in?

Some great artists included tonight.

• Advertisement

Well done Ecto, nice choice. Thanks Barney & Mr K for a fine reveal. Can I ask that you title the tracks for when we're on mobile and can't click the YouTube links to listen in?

Some great artists included tonight.

Of course, we'll do that for the rest. MrK might use a different style to me when he takes over for the reveal of round 2, but I'll get him to put them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Well done Barney and a very well done to Ecto. That was quiet an easy winner for me.

Food related song will be next up on Friday. I’ll post up the Spotify playlist for this tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

GG all.

Good show barno. It can only go downhill from here for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Woo to the hoo! Really glad you both enjoyed this one. I may have peaked already but I'll take my top spot and bask in its cuddly glory til Friday at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Congrats Ecto! Good show guys!

Great round, at least I can't go down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

After my own choice (which was genuinely one of the songs I listened to on repeat while studying for the auld leaving cert back in the day), the highlights of this round so far for me are...

MicksJaguar - I actually don't think I've seen the film in full from start to finish as I was working in a cinema when it came out and just caught bits and pieces here and there so this song must've slipped by me, but it is a beautiful piece of music; it feels like if Sigur Rós and Clannad had a baby, which is probably one of the highest compliments I can pay a piece of music. Nice choice.

and...

Green&Red - hadn't heard this before and love it already; would've ranked very highly for me personally (based on the songs that have been revealed so far anyway), definitely up my street.

also shoutout to...

necrina - definitely something I'd listen to to get pumped for an exam, maybe a bit overplayed when it was first released, but good track none the less.

And some more highlights following the rest of this round's reveal...

Trigger - Based on Barney's gif I'm guessing this is from Greatest Showman? Still haven't gotten about to seeing it, but this song is class. Great choice.

Drumpot - love Foals, had actually considered My Number for another category, but this is another great one.

Phatkev - I mentioned Sigur Rós earlier, and definitely get some of those vibes here too; a beautiful piece of music and a great discovery.

Spook_ie - think you got given a raw deal here. I've 100% studied to this song and listened to it prior to an exam to get me in the right headspace.

Ectoplasm - a deserving winner of this round for sure. It's a haunting piece of music. Well done! Credit where it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Well done ecto, nice piece.

What round you planning to do next?

I really like my song this round. Think it’s one that does grow on you. And disagree about the lyrics barney :) they mightn’t be much but love how fragile and vulnerable it sounds

Trigger - Based on Barney's gif I'm guessing this is from Greatest Showman? Still haven't gotten about to seeing it, but this song is class. Great choice.

That was more of a we're back gif, it's not from the film. Any song from that film would have gone down a treat with me by the way.

• Advertisement

Final table standings

User|Points|Score out of 30
    Ectoplasm|15| 29
    phatkev| 14| 25.5
    Drumpot| 13| 25
    TED YNWA| 12| 22
    tusk| 11| 21
    Necrina| 10| 20
    Also Starring LeVar Burton| 9| 19
    MicksJaguar| 8| 18