Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MrKingsley and Barney92's Walrus - The Reveal

Options
  • 17-12-2019 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭

This is going to get underway today, starting with the Study theme.

Hope you all enjoy it.

A quick recap of the OP

Why are we even doing this?

MrKingsley
    I will have music on as much as is possible. I love putting an album or playlist on before I start cooking, when I am cleaning the house, nodding off to sleep. I also work in bars so I am hoping to come across a few new artists/tracks to be able to put on in work to avoiding hearing the same songs for the umpteenth time.

Barney92
    Music is a relative late addition to my young life, with my interest starting to be piqued around the age of 18. I’ve entered most of these competitions to widen my musical knowledge as it is rather limited, and that is why I’m co-hosting one.

What are we into?

MrKingsley
    Growing up I was (am still am) a massive fan of hip hop and rap. Through college I would have mainly listened to rock and acoustic/folk music. In the last few years I have really gotten into soul and motown and they would be my go to playlists when working. Similar to Barney I have a serious sweet spot for a good pop song. Heavy metal might be the one genre that I would listen t with my finger over the 'skip song' button. Having said that I will give anything a listen.

Some of my favourite artists: Notorious BIG, Wu-Tang, Eminem, Johnny Cash, Tallest Man on Earth, John Martyn, The Four Tops, Curtis Mayfield, Charles Bradley, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Kings of Leon (first 3 albums), Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Ben Harper.

Barney92
    My main two genres are pop and Irish folk music. I think the explanation to my musical likes can be found in how I found the guilty pleasure category a few Walruses ago to be quite difficult, as I am quite open about my like for what many describe as guilty pleasures. I am open to other kinds of music, including classical, rock, country, hip hop. I will warn you though that electronic dance, techno and heavy metal are unlikely to do well with me but I am open to new things.

The categories are outlined below. Feel free to include the reason why you've picked what you have.

1. Song that makes you think about food

2. Song to study to / take an exam to

3. Song from a musical

4. Song that reminds you of someone

5. Song to change your mood

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yay!! Looking forward to this guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Time for a break from WW anyway
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

One song scored a perfect 15/15 from one of the judges, and 14/15 from the other one so fair play to that person. So a clear favourite from us. There are a few grouped towards the bottom that we somewhat liked by one of us and disliked by the other, with one getting 4/15 from me and 10/15 from MrK.

I'm going to get this under way shortly, and probably get the middle 8 (if that is a thing) done and then take a break and do the top three and the bottom three.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5011220

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

And here we go

In 8th place, scoring 7 points is
    MicksJaguar
    with the following

MrK
    Loved the sound and song until the kid started singing. That unfortunately put a dampener on it for me generally and the theme.

Barney
    Lovely instrumental, very soothing, not a fan of the child's voice. So fan of the first half but not of the second. Also a fan of Brave. Fine choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Feck. The fear is real. Can't remember what I entered either!

In 7th place, scoring 8 points is
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    with the following

MrK
    Like the song but very similar to a couple of others insofar as there is just too much going on for me to be able to study to it.

Barney
    Could work to this, but not really study I suppose. It does get you pumped and I really like the beat but I don't like the singer's voice.

In 9th place, scoring 6 points is
    osh it is
    with the following

MrK
    Nice but meh on first listen but this has grown on me and the fact that I can be doing something else and and just tapping my foot to it definitely helps.

Barney
    I can get behind the beat of this one. I think the singer is sort of drowned out, and I think that's a good thing. Didn't like the lyrics - "me with nothing to say and you in you autumn sweater" really didn't do it for me. Think I'd like it as purely instrumental.

In 6th place, scoring 9 points is
    necrina
    with the following

MrK
    Dont like the Script but then I didnt know that this was their song. Catchy song that i could keep me head down to.

Barney
    I've heard this song a lot but I like it. I often studied to it - inspirational so good choice there. Not a big fan of Will.I.Am though and think less of him would improve it. Think he's just a tad too prevalent in this. Unlike MrK I do like the Script so good entry here.

• Advertisement

Its weird looking at these reveals. I really wouldnt have thought that wed such a similar taste Barney but the proof is in the pudding I suppose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yeah, I remember a certain someone telling me that you'd very different tastes :)

4 entries down, and here is the next batch of 4 before we take a break to build up towards the reveal of the two podia.

In 10th place, scoring 5 points is
    Green&Red
    with the following

MrK
    Nice song that is very easy to listen to but would be a bit to upbeat for me to study to.

Barney
    Really like the intro and could see myself humming whilst studying. Not a big fan of the elongated notes/words though. Decent entry but I'm not wowed by it.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember a certain someone telling me that you'd very different tastes :)

Would that someone have been MrK himself?

Barney92 wrote: »
    Would that someone have been MrK himself?

It may have been :o

In 5th place, scoring 10 points is
    tuskalicious
    with the following

MrK
    Really enjoyed it and easily became lost in it. Ideal for studying for me

Barney
    Really like this at the start but then start to fall out of love with it, and was not a big fan of the guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

top 5. I'll take that!

Just about scraping their way out of the bottom three is
    prisca
    in 11th place, scoring 4 points with the following

MrK
    Love Ratatat and love this song. It would be at the absolute limit for me, study-wise, but just such a good track.

Barney
    Big fan of Pachelbel's Canon so intrigued, but my word Pachelbel what have they done to you? Didn't really like this, sounds like a wet mop being plunged at times. Did sort of begin to grow on me, but then the mop sound kicked back in.

Just missing out on the top three, in 3rd place, scoring 11 points is
    TED YNWA
    with the following

MrK
    Love the song. Never knew it was the Pretenders. Very hard not to nod my head to this (8/10) which also, unfortunately means that I would not be able to focus on my studies!!

Barney
    Really like the beat to this and it has a cracking intro. Not a massive fan of the 'ooh ah' bit but overall a very good song and one I could work to.

The Pretenders are great. Good choice Ted. But I agree I couldn't study to it. In fact, this is a very difficult category for me because I'd find it hard to study to anything but the blandest of tunes, and that type would never do well in a game of Walrus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Oh jaysus, either top three or bottom three AGAIN!

giphy.gif

Trigger wrote: »
    Oh jaysus, either top three or bottom three AGAIN!

giphy.gif

Ill give you a clue Trigger.......You live there

And so here we are, withn just the top three and bottom three left. As you can see it was very tight at the bottom, whilst three songs really separated themselves from the rest of the field at the top. I'll reveal them later on this evening.

User|Points|Score out of 30
    ____|14| 29
    ____| 13| 25.5
    ____| 12| 25
    TED YNWA| 11| 22
    tusk| 10| 21
    Necrina| 9| 20
    Also Starring LeVar Burton| 8| 19
    MicksJaguar| 7| 18
    osh| 6| 17
    Green&Red| 5| 16.5
    Prisca| 4| 14
    ____| 3| 14
    ____| 2| 14
    ____| 1| 13.5

Remaining entrants (in alphabetical order)
    Drumpot
    Ectoplasm
    Necro
    phatkev
    pretzil
    Trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Ill give you a clue Trigger.......You live there

I checked the house, I cant find the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

And so here we are, withn just the top three and bottom three left. As you can see it was very tight at the bottom, whilst three songs really separated themselves from the rest of the field at the top. I'll reveal them later on this evening.

User|Points|Score out of 30
    ____|14| 29
    ____| 13| 25.5
    ____| 12| 25
    TED YNWA| 11| 22
    tusk| 10| 21
    Necrina| 9| 20
    Also Starring LeVar Burton| 8| 19
    MicksJaguar| 7| 18
    osh| 6| 17
    Green&Red| 5| 16.5
    Prisca| 4| 14
    ____| 3| 14
    ____| 2| 14
    ____| 1| 13.5

Remaining entrants (in alphabetical order)
    Drumpot
    Ectoplasm
    Necro
    phatkev
    pretzil
    Trigger

Just want to apologise lads. I intended to do this, but got caught up with sick kids n all. But I'll be following here!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Sorry folks I miscounted there. Spook is also still to be revealed. I missed them in my collating so they'll be slotted in when I do the rest of the reveal.

If anyone else thinks they entered and they've not been revealed or listed let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Sorry folks I miscounted there. Spook is also still to be revealed. I missed them in my collating so they'll be slotted in when I do the rest of the reveal.

If anyone else thinks they entered and they've not been revealed or listed let me know.

Yay I thought I was persona non grata for a moment there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

For my first Walrus, I'm happy to be in the middle of the pack starting off and not dead last as I suspected I might be. No doubt I'll lose a lot of ground in the other rounds, but for now I'm happy out.

After my own choice (which was genuinely one of the songs I listened to on repeat while studying for the auld leaving cert back in the day), the highlights* of this round so far for me are...

MicksJaguar - I actually don't think I've seen the film in full from start to finish as I was working in a cinema when it came out and just caught bits and pieces here and there so this song must've slipped by me, but it is a beautiful piece of music; it feels like if Sigur Rós and Clannad had a baby, which is probably one of the highest compliments I can pay a piece of music. Nice choice.

and...

Green&Red - hadn't heard this before and love it already; would've ranked very highly for me personally (based on the songs that have been revealed so far anyway), definitely up my street.

also shoutout to...

necrina - definitely something I'd listen to to get pumped for an exam, maybe a bit overplayed when it was first released, but good track none the less.

*Apologies if discussing other people's choices as the competition goes along isn't allowed, I'm new to this I don't know the rules, just tell me it's a no no and I'll try not to do it again... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Top 3 or Bottom 3? >_<

• Advertisement

Discuss away LeVar.

Advertisement