Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Airport - News & Updates

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

Cork's runway is just 2,133m, so thats not any factor in limiting number of flights. But when EIKN is having 10-12 flights a day it makes you wonder. Kerry has a lot of private traffic though, it's really shining there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryanair are short on aircraft due to Boeing being incompetent so would be unable to add more in the short term anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Ryanair are always cutting and launching routes. It’s just a question of where the most money is to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Cork has an extra 130m metres of runway over Kerry though, which can make a big difference. Once you're down around the 2000 metres mark you're potentially looking at having to reduce passenger numbers on longer flights like the Canary Island routes where a heavy fuel load is needed for the distance. Even if you are restricted in loads by 10 or 15 passengers it can be enough to make a route unviable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

Wellington Airport has a 1,815m runway and takes flights in from Australia / Fiji which are comparible in distance to the Canaries .. Kerry's runway can handle that with 737 or A320 jets, no need to restrict a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It's not just runway length that's an issue with takeoff performance but also terrain in the area. I'm not sure about takeoff performance exactly but the approach profile has a higher than normal approach gradiant because of terrain. 3.5 degrees vs 3 degrees in Cork for example. So this could also be an issue.

We also need to be real here. Ireland is a small island with a small population. It has more airports than it needs. The likes of Ryanair would also negatively affect their services in Cork and Shannon if they were to launch the same route out of Kerry. However I really do hope Kerry does manage to attract new services in the future but it'll always be a tough battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Good news which reflects Kerry airport's booming private aircraft business.

Saw an ad for Kerry to Faro recently for 3 flights a week next year from April to October. I'm glad to hear that as I has heard Ryanair currently has a dispute over charges with Faro airport and feared this route could've been dropped similar to what happened with Berlin a few years ago over a similar charges dispute!

Hahn is still not bookable for next summer.

Hahn is now on sale for summer 2024. Unfortunately down to 2 flights a week. This is down from 4 many years ago, to 3 and now 2.

• Advertisement

Nice to see 400k pax will be exceeded this year! Hopefully the 500k milestone can be achieved in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Coffeelock2020

Interesting expansion into France from Kerry

https://www.facebook.com/share/UhXuk756Jj2RWouq/?mibextid=WC7FNe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Never heard of Chalair.

I presume these aren't standard 189-seat aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Coffeelock2020

Chalair are a small French regional airline they commenced flying out of Kerry last summer on a seasonal basis

They operate the ATR aircraft into Kerry

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Good to hear, obviously the flights must've been somewhat successful then so? Would love to hear what the load factors were like.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Once a week on Saturdays like last year. It seems Pau is being serviced via Brest, not directly, but still a doubling of last summer's Chalair operation out of Kerry.

Nice to see these rather bespoke routes being announced. I had to google Pau and Caen as I'd never heard of them before!!

I'm still hoping Ryanair's yet to be announced summer schedule for Kerry might add another new route but I'm guessing we'd have heard about such a new route through the grapevine by now? It's getting a bit late from a marketing perspective not to have announced anything yet. Ryanair has already revealed increased frequencies for both Faro and Alicante and I think Manchester for the season ahead.

I still think Lanzarote, Malaga or maybe Birmingham or Edinburgh could do really well as possible new destinations. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's very unlikely anything would be announced with 6 weeks until the start of their summer schedule.

I think the main thing out of this summer’s Ryanair Kerry schedule is a reduced frequency to HHN, but increased frequencies to Spain and Portugal (4x weekly Alicante, 3x weekly Faro running into late October).

Luton also seems to have gained slightly at the expense of Stansted, with 8x weekly to the former compared to 5x weekly to Stansted (no flight on FRI/SAT). I can’t recall what Manchester was last summer but 2x weekly doesn’t seem like very much this year.

• Advertisement

Good to hear the expansion works at KIR will start before year end that will include an expanded departures lounge and a separate arrivals area.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Any updates on the new hangar they want to build? There were a few objections to it.

Advertisement