Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Airport - News & Updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Kerry airport seemingly left out of any discussions:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0715/1235285-kerry-dublin-route/

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

More likely they didn't want commercial operator on the route as PSO cross subsidises red-eye hours ATC/Handling operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Kerry probably have sour memories of how Ryanair walked out of the last Contract they had on the Kerry Dublin route after 7 months and left them high and dry. As sure as day follows night.... Ryanair will ditch this route within months. There is NO WAY they will run 2 flights a day averaging 25-35 passenger a rotation. Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sorry for jumping into the thread, I just noticed it while trying to figure out the new boards. I never realised Aer Arann and Stobart air were one and the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The Tralee and Killarney Chambers echoing the same concerns and asked that the PSO subsidy remains on standby just in case.

Why would a profit at all costs airline like Ryanair want to even fly a route with such a large capacity plane it its deemed fairly certain load numbers will never fill such planes? Its not like there is a competitor on the route that they are trying to force out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

Preventing a competitor like emerald air getting going

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Private traffic seems to be picking up again to Kerry which is wonderful to see. The Hogs Head helicopters are also very active again.

N800HH the Hogs Head plane is airborne from the US atm also, the first time it’s been Kerry bound for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

I don't think MOL would view Emerald as a competitor he has to worry about, it's Wizz air that are likely to eat his lunch!

More likely Ryanair want to have the government owing them a favour, bear in mind they have been vocally very critical of the government's COVID policies for months.. The cost of operating the route is pocket change in the general scheme of things, even if the 738 is a lot too much aircraft for the demand

We wont see Wizz Air again in ireland...... Ryanair ran them out of town for good!

I see Ryanair say they will do it for 'free'...... can't see Dublin or Kerry dropping fees to make Ryanair look like some sort of Mother Teresa - Saviour of the Public Finances!

Hahn pushed back to November now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Airport press release is guaranteed to say its positive even if it was five hours late with one passenger on board, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Exactly - a success for Kerry is having the route back and hopefully pax numbers near what EI/Stobart did. That won’t be a success for FR with a 737.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The fares are a good bit lower and the aircraft is, for many, preferred over a turboprop. I reckon numbers will easily surpass the Stobart service but certainly won't be viable.

Dont know.... flight times are more suited to Students and OAP's. Might end up with business poeple going one way on the train and maybe use the flight on the other end. Getting a day's business done in DUblin from a Kerry businessman point of view is no longer an option.

the BIG question for Kerry Airport is: ... How Long will Ryanair stay on the Route???

I would be surprised to see this last for more than a few weeks.

A Stobart ATR with 30 people onboard and the PSO subsidy was probably just about financially sustainable. A Ryanair 738 with the same number (if lucky given a less convenient schedule), no subsidy and paying VAT is a nothing but a money pit.

Reading between the lines, I also don’t consider the Kerry airport statement particularly positive. Nothing on the website or Twitter feed either.

Looks like Kerry got it’s first Max today with the STN-KIR-STN operated by a Boeing 737-8-200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

Why don't people think Ryanair can grow passenger numbers?

For example at €94 quid, I only flew Stobart from Kir to Dub if I was connecting to another flight, but at the €39.98 return that Ryanair seem to be charging for most flights, its way more affordable now, and rather than training or driving when I get back to weekly business trips to Dublin, I can image myself flying up a lot - its very possible I might do 20 return trips in 2022 versus 4 in 2019. The schedule from this Wednesday is moving to morning and evening, ideally timed flights imo.

€20 one way gives Ryanair just over €15 after VAT (charged on domestic flights within EU states).

That won't even cover the airport departure taxes, security charges and other handing fees. Even growing the market substantially, I cannot imagine getting anything above 30-40% load factors on a 189 seater Boeing 737-800. I would also argue that regular passengers on domestic flights are less likely to purchase ancillaries like checked luggage, priority boarding, food/drink or even seat reservations (why would you when you see quite empty flights).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

O’Leary said today they are committed until Feb 2022. I’d say that’s to give people some security around booking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

757 due in from JFK in the morning. Anyone know the story there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

A lot of business jet traffic these days. Is there some golf event?

Titan 757 left at 12 again for JFK. Would have been quite a sight to see it takeoff it would have needed every inch of that runway

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭You the man

It needed every inch of it to stop on landing...

I was there to see it..

Taking off heavy would have been spooky.

Any photos of the Titan Boeing 757?

Not the first of the type in Kerry. There were a few 757 flights after the new runway opened in the mid-90s. I unfortunately can't recall the operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭You the man

Heading for the stand.. Poor quality phone.

Thanks for sharing. Good to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

I was in car park going to Faro on the Thursday and saw it landing..... looked perfect to me. Rolled perfectly into the Taxi lane and parked up. Just looked like a white Ryanair to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Wedding party charter I believe,

Bussed to Waterville hotel, owners daughter, I think.

Smooth take-off, from turning on the apron to airborne.

Watched it from long-stay carpark and was up by the time it drew level with us.

My guess would be 450mtrs of the 2km runway to spare, don't know if that's close or not.

Mrs Username took video, I'll see if I can upload it later when she's about.

Advertisement