Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ashes 2013 - see mod warning in post 689

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Gutted for the lad; truely brilliant knock and fully deserving of his ton.

I wonder where they will bat him in the second innings?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Can anyone explain why that ball that was going to hit the wickets was not out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Hawk Eye isn't perfect and it is only there to overturn howlers, not marginal decisions. If less than half the hall is pitching in line or hitting (or hits pad more than 2.5 meters from the stumps) then it's left with whatever the umpire decided as there is no conclusive proof to reverse the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Hey guys, wondering why tea was called at 7.4 in an over?

Why not throw 2 more deliveries to get to finish the over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Hey guys, wondering why tea was called at 7.4 in an over?

Why not throw 2 more deliveries to get to finish the over?

Thinking that myself as well, only thing now is it's a Pietersen/Cook partnership which if got going could rack up a big score....if Starc doen't get his hatrick that is!

They have always called lunch/tea/stumps in the middle of the last over of a session if a wicket falls. Not really sure why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

KevIRL wrote: »
    The nut radio sport show.

Yeah it's unreal tbh. They have all angles covered. Listening to the ashes round up now, great way to catch up on how the day unfolded.

Regarding Agar, he played for Henley on Thames in the Home Counties premier league. They had his coach on 5 live talking about Agar and that he made a 50 before in another match. They also said he can really bat and not just a slogger trying to bang out some runs.
    He could be one for the future :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ponting was quite positive about Agar also, looked very good out there today. Deffo not a number 11, hopefully it will turn out to be a great debut

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Have I missed something in the furore over Trott?

There was no clear evidence he hit the ball - even Snicko later on - and he was plumb lbw which is the clear evidence to overturn Dar's decision.

dfx- wrote: »
    Have I missed something in the furore over Trott?

There was no clear evidence he hit the ball - even Snicko later on - and he was plumb lbw which is the clear evidence to overturn Dar's decision.

There was not clear evidence he didn't hit the ball either. Original decision was not out so conclusive evidence should have been required to overturn it. My gut reaction was he nicked it, most of the Sky heads thought he nicked it, and Trott thought he had nicked it. Unfortunately the side on hot spot camera cannot record and playback at the same time and as they had the footage of Root's catch cued up it didn't pick up the conclusive view.

Erasmus is a good umpire but I feel Trott should have been given the benefit of the doubt considering the missing camera and original call.

Edit:Just reading the morning news and seen that the ICC actually apologised to England and admitted Erasmus was wrong. Can't remember that happening before.

• Advertisement

To be honest I thought that on viewing Trotts dismissal I thought that it was blatantly obvious that he hit it; the ball quite clearly nicks off the edge of the bat onto the pads. It certainly was not conclusive enough to suggest that the original not out decision should have been overturned. I have nothing against technology in umpiring, in fact I warmly welcome it, but in this case it got it wrong and just goes to show that we should not be relying solely on the decisions of technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

djimi wrote: »
    To be honest I thought that on viewing Trotts dismissal I thought that it was blatantly obvious that he hit it; the ball quite clearly nicks off the edge of the bat onto the pads. It certainly was not conclusive enough to suggest that the original not out decision should have been overturned. I have nothing against technology in umpiring, in fact I warmly welcome it, but in this case it got it wrong and just goes to show that we should not be relying solely on the decisions of technology.
    Not only are they relying on technology (which I agree with), I think it's a bit rich of them to rely on a TV company to provide them with that technology.

Apology on behalf of the Trott decision is an empty gesture too, in my opinion.

Come 11 o' clock this morning, his bat and pads will still be in his locker gathering dust until Lords.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rascasse wrote: »
    There was not clear evidence he didn't hit the ball either. Original decision was not out so conclusive evidence should have been required to overturn it. My gut reaction was he nicked it, most of the Sky heads thought he nicked it, and Trott thought he had nicked it. Unfortunately the side on hot spot camera cannot record and playback at the same time and as they had the footage of Root's catch cued up it didn't pick up the conclusive view.

I thought he didn't hit it, Erasmus clearly thought he didn't hit it, Snicko says he didn't hit it. Has Dar come out and said why he didn't give it?

I don't think it's on the Darryl Harper scale of bad decisions

Eng 104-2 (Cook 38*, Pietersen 57*)

WICKET- Pietersen b Pattinson 64 (Eng 121-3 57 ovs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

That kid is by far the best thing about the Ashes so far.

Crikey, Broad edged and caught, Dar didn't give it and Broad didn't walk. Payback for Trott? Aussies with no DRS appeals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Rascasse wrote: »
    Crikey, Broad edged and caught, Dar didn't give it and Broad didn't walk. Payback for Trott? Aussies with no DRS appeals.

Never walk! As they said on TMS An Aussie wouldn't have walked so fair play to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Never walk! As they said on TMS An Aussie wouldn't have walked so fair play to him.

yes and we hate the aussies for it, it's called bad sportsmanship - never going to listen to a lecture about fair play from england again, furthermore it is far worse than the trott incident which was just a technical mishap and a 50/50 call - this was a guy who was 100% out who knew that and didn't walk, poor umpiring, poor sportsmanship and as I said England can't look down their nose at Aussie gamesmanship again

I expected better from Broad, winning is one thing, winning with dignity and class is another

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

donfers wrote: »

I expected better from Broad, winning is one thing, winning with dignity and class is another

I wouldn't expect anything better from Broad, not a pleasant individual and certainly wouldn't associate the word class with him.

Otherwise another good days cricket, and it's going to be a great series I think. Two evenly matched teams both capable of brilliance but also total collapse at drop of a hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I don't hate the Aussies for doing it. Its been part of their game for donkey's years. It's not the 1st time an England player has not walked and he won't be the last.

It all adds to what has been a totally absorbing test match. Today was the first proper day of real test cricket - lots of tension. It' s great!

All that's gone on here is that Broad waited for the umpire. They'd used up their referrals and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Its about time players got banned for a match or two if they don't walk when they clearly know they are out:mad:

......and it's about time the ICC get their heads outta their a**es and give the third umpire the right to over-rule an obvious howler from the on-field umpire irrespective of referrals remaining

That said I don't think that decision is goin to make a huge difference to the outcome of the match.....England have more than enough already to close
    out of this match.....or do they;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

England have 4 left handers to torment on an increasingly worn and slow pitch when the Aussies get back in so it could be fun on the final day.

Don't think England can lose now, I can't see Australia batting for +1 day on that especially if England break through early in their second innings.

Calling 1-0 England.

Aussies need weather for a draw I would think.

booth70 wrote: »
    Its about time players got banned for a match or two if they don't walk when they clearly know they are out:mad:

Why? There are two umpires and numerous techological elements watching the game; let them do their job and give you out if you are out. Obviously I prefer to see players walk if they know that they are out, but Im not going to lose the head with someone if they dont.

• Advertisement

Why? There are two umpires and numerous techological elements watching the game; let them do their job and give you out if you are out. Obviously I prefer to see players walk if they know that they are out, but Im not going to lose the head with someone if they dont.

Cricket used to be a gentleman's game.....not anymore!:confused:

If Dinesh Ramdin got banned recently for claiming a catch that wasn't so should somebody like Broad for standing his ground when he knew he had hit the cover of the ball.......both amount to cheating for me

If there are so many cameras watching each and every incident why not use them to make the correct decision?.....If the third umpire can call the batsman back if he has been dismissed of a no-ball that the on-field umpire has missed then surely they can over-rule the on-field umpire over a blatant howler like yesterday

If Dinesh Ramdin got banned recently for claiming a catch that wasn't so should somebody like Broad for standing his ground when he knew he had hit the cover of the ball.......both amount to cheating for me

If there are so many cameras watching each and every incident why not use them to make the correct decision?.....If the third umpire can call the batsman back if he has been dismissed of a no-ball that the on-field umpire has missed then surely they can over-rule the on-field umpire over a blatant howler like yesterday

I don't like Broad but he is no different from the huge majority of cricketers when it comes to walking. Professional sportsmen rarely worry about the spirit of any sport. Far more Broads and Clarkes in the game than Gilchrists.

Actually, plenty of amateur cricketers will leave it up to the umpire to give them out too. Who or how will you ban them, or the week in week out county or province games that aren't down on tv, how do you ban them?

Cricket is no different from any other sport, footballers may put ball in net with their hand, if it's allowed most players won't tell ref otherwise. If a rugby player hasn't grounded the ball for a try or loses control of ball and ref gives try, have never seen one player turn around and tell ref not to award try. If a track runner knowingly steps out of his lane, wins the race, does he disqualify himself? If tennis player knows opponents ball is in, but umpire calls it out, would many correct him? Etc etc etc.

What Ramdin did was blatently cheating; he picked up a ball off the ground and claimed it as a catch. While its along the same lines as not walking perhaps, its considerably worse (akin to driving the ball to mid on and then trying to claim that you didnt hit it!).

Not walking is a bit different; there are times when you can nick the ball and genuinely not know; I remember walking off in utter disgust ranting and raving having been given out caught behind, convinced that I didnt hit it, and when I got back in I was told the nick could be heard in the pavillion! It happens. Thats not to say that people dont not walk when they know they hit it of course, but its not so black and white as something like what Ramdin did.

To be honest, as a cricket lover I know I should be more vocal about upholding the spirit of the game, but in this day and age where series such as the Ashes mean so much I can completely understand a batsman standing their ground and letting the umpires and the technology make the final decision. It two on field umpires and a third umpire with TV replays, hotspot, snicko etc cant find it in them to give you out then as far as Im concerned you aint out!

Im not even going to get into how I feel about the it when playing. Suffice to say the number of shockingly poor umpiring decisions and nonsense wides that get given against you sort of kills your spirit of the game and your desire to give the opposition any further advantage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

From the BBC website this morning:
    FIRST BALL SHOCKER- Eng 331-6
    I say this with no hint of exaggeration. Mitchell Starc's first ball of the day is simply the worst delivery I have ever seen in Test cricket. So, so wide, but also a beamer, bouncing past the dive of wicketkeeper Brad Haddin. It runs away for five no balls. A bit stiff, Mitch?

Now I want to see it :)

Root gets Cowan on nelson.

Getting tight for England, need a couple of quick ones to steady the nerves.

• Advertisement

It two on field umpires and a third umpire with TV replays, hotspot, snicko etc cant find it in them to give you out then as far as Im concerned you aint out!

That is precisely why I am saying that the third umpire SHOULD be given the right to over-rule an on-field umpire's decision....if the third umpire had this power then Broad would have been sent packing yesterday and technology would have been used correctly

That is precisely why I am saying that the third umpire SHOULD be given the right to over-rule an on-field umpire's decision....if the third umpire had this power then Broad would have been sent packing yesterday and technology would have been used correctly

It's up to Asutralia to use the technology correctly. You get two opportunities to overturn bad decisions, not to gamble on marginal LBW calls. If the third umpire could step in at any point it would only encourage teams to use the DRS system to gamble.

The only people in the wrong yesterday was Dar for making the mistake and Pup for wasting his reviews. As Bill Lawry said "It's for the umpire to do his job and me to do mine". Nobody walks.

132/3

A good 70 - 80 run partnership is what Australia need now to set the cat amongst the pigeons;)..........they also have Agar coming in at no: 11:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if the Aussies can make it to the end of the day without losing another wicket they'll be firmly in the driving seat.

Another wasted review. Not the cleverest is he?

Edit. Now Hughes Smith gone too. One brings two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Every time one team gains the advantage they throw it away.

Australia are one good batsman light in the middle order

Siddle made more runs than the top order batsmen did recently during their tour of India!

It's not over yet I think.....another twist to come surely:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

This partnership must be the last chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It's not over yet I think.....another twist to come surely:)

I agree, Australia are a bit short but it would only take one decent partnership to get them within sight of the win.

The pitch isn't doing a huge amount, if Agar can recreate his first Innings magic it could be very interesting.

Either way, it's great to see such a competitive First Test. You can't beat a close Ashes Series.

Botham and Strauss talking like it's a done deal. Australia definitely not out of it, but pitch is only going to get worse and Swann looks to be getting good use out of it.

Think these two in and Siddle are their realistic last hope. Hope England skittle them out in an hour though!

• Advertisement

Australia will not win from here, you'd have to be deluded to think so.

(now there's post to quote back at me sometime tomorrow!)

25 C and foggy with the lights on!

223/8.

Goodnight Irene.....

Over by lunch, think it would be better for the series as a whole if Australia had won the first one.

mike65 wrote: »
    Goodnight Irene.....

*awaits inevitable revenge for Edgebaston 2005*

C'mon! :mad: but I'd take lunch as usual if I was England.

51 needed!!

Finn is going to screw this up.

• Advertisement

Is it me or has England had poor field settings? Far too many too close in for my liking.

Advertisement