Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are dogs being stolen in your area?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

So there’s really two things exercising people in the thread: Dog thefts and whether or not dog thieves are marking houses. On the former point, there definitely seems to be an increase in notable cases lately and the likes of ten dogs being recovered in one go and the recent case of the dog stolen with her puppies, and she being mutilated in the process, are a cause for concern for all dog owners who love their family pets.

Whether or not thieves are marking houses is really inconsequential versus the rise in the crime, which has been linked to a significant rise in dog prices during the pandemic. I read a case recently in the IT about a couple who went to view a “puppy” that was clearly a few years old, and they were told actually it was under a year but the photos were taken many months ago blah blah.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/warnings-over-theft-and-scams-after-fourfold-rise-in-puppy-prices-1.4303561?mode=amp

Interesting advice from one local Garda FB post I read recently after they’d recovered a dog, was to remove the dogs name from its collar / tag. Helps to identify them later because, obviously, they’ll respond to their own name. Also, they suggested tattooing your phone number onto the dog, which I’d never heard of doing before!

I think an issue is that dogs are being exported to the UK for sale and there are also the stories about dogs being used as bait for fighting. I’d say that’s less common, but if your dog was taken and you don’t recover it I’d say you’ll spend a long time wondering what happened to it.

For a variety of reasons the crime isn’t adequately dealt with - animal theft or cruelty for that matter aren’t particularly well prosecuted in Ireland and as others note, after making a case you likely get a free legal aid hard knocks story and a suspended sentence. If a cockapoo is going for €1500-2500 a throw that’s an acceptable risk to some criminal elements.

Feeling really sorry for all the people out there tonight pining for their stolen dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Nijmegen wrote: »
    So there’s really two things exercising people in the thread: Dog thefts and whether or not dog thieves are marking houses. On the former point, there definitely seems to be an increase in notable cases lately and the likes of ten dogs being recovered in one go and the recent case of the dog stolen with her puppies, and she being mutilated in the process, are a cause for concern for all dog owners who love their family pets.

Whether or not thieves are marking houses is really inconsequential versus the rise in the crime, which has been linked to a significant rise in dog prices during the pandemic. I read a case recently in the IT about a couple who went to view a “puppy” that was clearly a few years old, and they were told actually it was under a year but the photos were taken many months ago blah blah.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/warnings-over-theft-and-scams-after-fourfold-rise-in-puppy-prices-1.4303561?mode=amp

Interesting advice from one local Garda FB post I read recently after they’d recovered a dog, was to remove the dogs name from its collar / tag. Helps to identify them later because, obviously, they’ll respond to their own name. Also, they suggested tattooing your phone number onto the dog, which I’d never heard of doing before!

I think an issue is that dogs are being exported to the UK for sale and there are also the stories about dogs being used as bait for fighting. I’d say that’s less common, but if your dog was taken and you don’t recover it I’d say you’ll spend a long time wondering what happened to it.

For a variety of reasons the crime isn’t adequately dealt with - animal theft or cruelty for that matter aren’t particularly well prosecuted in Ireland and as others note, after making a case you likely get a free legal aid hard knocks story and a suspended sentence. If a cockapoo is going for €1500-2500 a throw that’s an acceptable risk to some criminal elements.

Feeling really sorry for all the people out there tonight pining for their stolen dogs.

Where would one get a dog tattooed?!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Best advice when I got my dog was to never put its name on tag, only ever contact phone number.

Always get your dogs chip checked regularly as they do deactivate.

Where would one get a dog tattooed?!

I'm thinking of asking my vet tomorrow. It would have to be done under sedation. I know the KC do it, greyhounds are tattooed.

Best not do it on ears as they can clip them off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

In Limerick City a number of years back a dog went missing. Number of hours later Alderman Michael Kelly got the dog back from a halting site in Newport.

• Advertisement

Has the cocker spaniel dog in Mallow Gardai Station find its home?

anewme wrote: »
    Your constant lol is weird for an adult, MAN.

No MAN, you are away with the fairies on this, yeah?

Not sure why you would put rural people in inverted comments.

You are clearly very closed off to the topic.

He is the type that give a boarder collie a kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Simple things really is to stop buying from unlicensed dog sellers, the ones that are stealing dogs you’d wanna be fairly thick not to recognize them or turn a blind eye to them cause in most cases they’ll rob your dog back off you within a few days or weeks. They wouldn’t wash themselves never mind mind a dog ffs. There’s hundreds of dogs in kennels and rescue centres plus if you are looking for a certain type of dog it’s not like a car where you take a chance on a cheaper deal cause it’s from some tool down a back lane. Allot of dog owners are to blame for this market even being viable to sell dogs on the likes of done deal. The laws in Ireland need to be strengthened on the selling and stealing of dogs. Some won’t even pay a minuscule few euro for a licence for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Best advice when I got my dog was to never put its name on tag, only ever contact phone number.

Always get your dogs chip checked regularly as they do deactivate.

RFID chips , particularly modern ones have very few issues and dont deactivate, short of physically damaging them ,nothing can happen to them.
    They only " activate" when scanned.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Has the cocker spaniel dog in Mallow Gardai Station find its home?

Looks like, not yet

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/07/15/news/real-life/gardai-stolen-dog-original-owner/amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Clearly someone 's pet, probably elderly that's not on social media and hasn't been reached. Could even be from UKI. Heartbreaking photo, little dog completely shut down and terrified, she will be found a loving home if not reunited. Real impact of this...heart broken owner missing their pet and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

There’s hundreds of dogs in kennels and rescue centres

The laws in Ireland need to be strengthened on the selling and stealing of dogs. Some won’t even pay a minuscule few euro for a licence for the year.

This was the problem - there were virtually no dogs in the kennels once the lockdown started as people who were on the fence about a dog, took the plunge and went to get one.

Those who normally get bored with their "Christmas dogs" had all the time in the world to be with them and as such, very few new dogs were abandoned.

This led to a pent up demand and people willing to pay high prices and like any "in demand product" criminals started to get involved.

I fully agree, laws have to be strengthened - the punishment for stealing a dog is the same as stealing a deckchair (though hopefully a judge would differentiate in the sentencing)

Clearly someone 's pet, probably elderly that's not on social media and hasn't been reached. Could even be from UKI. Heartbreaking photo, little dog completely shut down and terrified, she will be found a loving home if not reunited. Real impact of this...heart broken owner missing their pet and vice versa.

Without researching in detail. I am assuming that dog is been taken care of.

Tattooing a dog seems like an interesting idea but I’d want to hear more about it from a vet. Though you’d wonder would the kind of scumbags stealing dogs just kill yours or sell it to someone doing dog fighting if it had a tattoo.

Neutering them (particularly bitches) also makes them less attractive though obviously it’s only figured out after the fact...

Definitely get the micro chip checked regularly when you’re down the vet for any reason - it’s unlikely to stop working but don’t take the chance. I got a funny look off one vet in my local practice when I asked a few years ago but nowadays it usually strikes up a conversation about the terrible rise in dog thefts.

The advertising sites either need to take steps or be forced to take steps to curb this. If not banning the ads then if it’s illegal to not properly register a dog and illegal to breed without a license it should be illegal to host ads where you haven’t confirmed the bona fides of the person selling the dog. But it shouldn’t take government telling them to do the right thing for them to get on with it.

That won’t stop the major issue of dogs then being exported to the UK. Not entirely clear how you curb that unfortunately. The price of dogs has gone up there also according to some articles I’ve read in the economist and other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Donedeal are partly responsible for this situation. I'll never use their platform again as they have no interest in helping to solve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

wandererz wrote: »
    "Last edited by Necro; Yesterday at 10:35. Reason: Fixed thread title"

Oh. Thank G*d for that.
    How do people pass the leaving cert?

"Have dogs been stolen in your area?" would also be acceptable.

Donedeal are partly responsible for this situation. I'll never use their platform again as they have no interest in helping to solve the issue.

Yeah I saw a post elsewhere where someone got back a "We don't believe our website is being used for this, but we're concerned and will look into it." I wonder do they get a flat fee per ad or a % of the sale? In any event they very clearly need to cop on, the reputational risk of this is you'd hope very severe.

Yeah I saw a post elsewhere where someone got back a "We don't believe our website is being used for this, but we're concerned and will look into it." I wonder do they get a flat fee per ad or a % of the sale? In any event they very clearly need to cop on, the reputational risk of this is you'd hope very severe.

There is a group Do Better Done Deal, that report each ad that breaches the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Chalk marks spotted outside houses on main road yesterday, and on my road this morning. They're getting closer...

Without researching in detail. I am assuming that dog is been taken care of.

I'd say very well taken care of..but clearly missing their owner and probably pining.

I dont know if you are following the story of Topsey and Turvy, but the family have today issued a statement to say that their Turvy was found in the same group of dogs as that little dog in Mallow. The same man had both, which he was trying to sell.

Reasons like he didnt know their dog was stolen when he was trying to sell it....He alleges he bought Turvy off his cousin who got Turvy off a man who swopped her for a pony.

How are these people getting away with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Chalk marks spotted outside houses on main road yesterday, and on my road this morning. They're getting closer...

It'll be the "skid" marks next.

BailMeOut wrote: »

Some owners have reported that the Gardai "didn't want to know" so this will have an impact on how crimes are reported and logged.

Given negative feedback the reporting system has been amended or publicised within the last week that any dog reported stolen will be given a pulse number. This was not done previously or owners were not aware they were allowed demand it. What is very clear is that some Gardai are fantastic and very aware of what is going on and take it seriously, but others not so.

I'd say very well taken care of..but clearly missing their owner and probably pining.

I dont know if you are following the story of Topsey and Turvy, but the family have today issued a statement to say that their Turvy was found in the same group of dogs as that little dog in Mallow. The same man had both, which he was trying to sell.

Reasons like he didnt know their dog was stolen when he was trying to sell it....He alleges he bought Turvy off his cousin who got Turvy off a man who swopped her for a pony.

How are these people getting away with this?

Prosecuting the cases is going to be very difficult. Unless his cousins uncles friends mothers parrot is gonna rat them all out in a 1980s British comedy sketch fashion, how do you prove any of it absent CCTV or similar evidence?

The solution is perhaps to mandate in law with harsh penalties that you must follow a proper chain of custody with a dog to have it in your possession or else it's assumed stolen and you get a big slap.

But go back to the point about the money that the dogs are being sold for. For many of the individuals involved I'd say they're the free legal aid brigade with a hard story and a dozen or more previous convictions anyway. The cost/benefit ratio of stealing dogs is pretty favourable and sure if they weren't stealing dogs it'd be copper wires or just plain burglary when we all get out of the house.

People buying dogs have a major responsibility and culpability here, too. Check for proper papers and don't go doing deals you know are smelling fishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

There is a group Do Better Done Deal, that report each ad that breaches the guidelines.

Glad to hear it. A disgusting site, owned by Distilled Media, who also own Boards. Adverts, also used to be full of dogs for sale ads, even though it was against their rules. I'm not sure how well their "adoption" section is policed now as I no longer use the site but it was incredibly lacking not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’ve reported 3 adds on donedeal in the past for counterfeit golf clubs. They don’t give a fcuk.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I’ve reported 3 adds on donedeal in the past for counterfeit golf clubs. They don’t give a fcuk.

This group is very vocal and has a good presence on social media so they need to take them seriously and appear to be doing so.

They have removed dogs "sneaked" into categories such as Sheds and Gardens etc.

11 Puppies and 2 adult dogs originating in ireland seized at Scotland docks and returned to Ulster. Joint operation Ireland and Scotland. Seized in Ferry disembarking Scotland

Four of the puppies have since died of Parvo Virus. No paperwork.

11 Puppies and 2 adult dogs originating in ireland seized at Scotland docks and returned to Ulster. Joint operation Ireland and Scotland. Seized in Ferry disembarking Scotland

Four of the puppies have since died of Parvo Virus. No paperwork.

There is a high chance some of the pups may be daisy's. Stolen a month ago, too you to be chipped. Daisy's microchip was cut out and a muzzle glued to her mouth. Daisy's owners are looking into it.

• Advertisement

Just looking through done deal.

See one dog that has a microchip number listed but in the details it says it’s unregistered. Are they two different things?

Advertisement