Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Obviously you don't live 1/2 way down one of them, it's a huge block to have to go around if you live at one end and need to drive in the other direction.

So? The greater good vs a few people in college rd/bohermore?:rolleyes:

Anyways for practical reasons caused by the development of the port neither the current temporary reroute or my suggestion will likely be permanent as it would mean bringing heavy traffic up Bohermore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I don't know if this started today but the traffic was chaos this morning from the lwr salthill side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I don't know if this started today but the traffic was chaos this morning from the lwr salthill side.
    You are traffic :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It was on the radio recently that the bridge works have been put off until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

From the galway city council website

Road Works at Lough Atalia Bridge
    In order to progress the lowering of the Lough Atalia Road underneath the railway bridge, Galway City Council will be carrying out ground investigation works beginning Monday 8th September. Works will take place from 09:30 - 16:00, Monday to Friday from 08/09/14 until Friday 19/09/14. A Stop / Go temporary traffic management arrangement will be in place from Wednesday 10th - Friday 19th. Motorists can expect delays during this period.

Galway City Council apologises for any inconvienence caused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

From the galway city council website

Road Works at Lough Atalia Bridge
    In order to progress the lowering of the Lough Atalia Road underneath the railway bridge, Galway City Council will be carrying out ground investigation works beginning Monday 8th September. Works will take place from 09:30 - 16:00, Monday to Friday from 08/09/14 until Friday 19/09/14. A Stop / Go temporary traffic management arrangement will be in place from Wednesday 10th - Friday 19th. Motorists can expect delays during this period.

Galway City Council apologises for any inconvienence caused.

Any reason these couldn't be done at night time? Or will they upset Cpt. Otter too

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Any reason these couldn't be done at night time? Or will they upset Cpt. Otter too

The presence of residents in the area will limit the amount of night time that can be used.

The presence of residents in the area will limit the amount of night time that can be used.
    Those in Forthill?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

snubbleste wrote: »
    Those in Forthill?

Forthill don't normally complain but the ones in the Radisson and the rest of the road are entitled to a peaceful nights sleep. Not sure why they waited until the kids were back to School to start the works.

Forthill don't normally complain

And if they do start complaining, it could be difficult to get road-workers into the area at night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Lowering the road - would that not make it prone to flooding? And, essentially if it floods, it would be just as bad, if not worse, as a truck hitting it and result in the road being closed and therefore defeating the purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    Lowering the road - would that not make it prone to flooding? And, essentially if it floods, it would be just as bad, if not worse, as a truck hitting it and result in the road being closed and therefore defeating the purpose?

Pretty sure they install pumps to keep the stretch of road under the bridge from flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

they cant really do ground investigations at night because of the noise pollution. you could probably hear it in salthill .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

they cant really do ground investigations at night because of the noise pollution. you could probably hear it in salthill .

What do ya think they'll be doing....Driving piles?...a few trial holes or slit trenches and some ground penetrating radar is all id imagine it will involve

Edit...i take it back...they'll may take some cores also

Any update on this?
    It is due to start in March and cause 'issues' for three months.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Any update on this?
    It is due to start in March and cause 'issues' for three months.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/163/59/Public-Notice-of-Intention-Temporary-Closure-of-Section-of-Lough-Atalia-Road-from-18th-March-to-13th-May-2015/

Edit: I've seen articles in the various local papers, I'll see if I can find links later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The work will start on Weds 18th March and is scheduled to take 8 weeks up to Weds 13th May.

Here is the information from Galway City Council page.

Here is a map in pdf format describing the new one-way system which will be in operation for the duration of the works.

The main points are:

Lough Atalia Road will be one-way westbound.

College Road will be one-way eastbound.

Fairgreen Road will be one-way northbound (from Lough Atalia towards Coach Station).

There will be no Straight-through from Bothar Ui Eithir to Fairgreen Road - traffic will either have to turn left onto College Rd or right onto Foster St.

At the Moneenageisha junction, there will be no right turn from Moneenageisha Rd to College Rd, and no right turn from Dublin Rd to Wellpark Rd.

Westbound traffic will travel in on Lough Atalia Road, turn right onto Fairgreen Rd, left onto Foster St, passing the Meyrick Hotel and on to the Dock Rd.

Eastbound traffic will travel east on Merchants Rd, around Eyre Square, and out Prospect Hill where they will have a choice of straight on through Bohermore, or turning right onto Bothar Ui Eithir followed by a left onto College Rd.

Taxis / Cars wishing to collect / drop-off at the Coach Station will need to take a longer route out College Rd, turning right after the Greyhound track onto Lough Atalia Rd and right onto Fairgreen Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

A few points/questions arise which are not covered by the information in the GCC website:

Foster Street will be a nightmare. The increased traffic will make the 2 pedestrianised crossings near Garveys / Meyrick more dangerous.

Will they still allow open top tour buses to continue parking on clearways on Foster Street.

Taxis who want to pick up or drop off at the Coach Station will now have to go out College Rd and turn right after the Sportsground / Greyhound Track. This will lead to them stopping near the junction to collect / let passengers out.

Will they have a set-down area on or a temporary taxi-rank on Foster St to accomodate the Coach Station - again, if not, taxis/cars will just stop on the road to let passengers & luggage out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

What's the story with the petrol station there? Would they have to be compensated considering there'll be no passing trade for the guts of three months?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Only way to go...
    HIGH-NELLY-3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    What's the story with the petrol station there? Would they have to be compensated considering there'll be no passing trade for the guts of three months?

Exactly what I was wondering, too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Good question; would love to know what's going to happen with that station. I use it for Parcel Motel quite a lot as well.

Which points out another great factor: every single bus and truck heading to/from Harbour Enterprise Park is going to be going thru Eyre Square. That's gonna be fun. (Not).

I'm interested to see if the route 403, 409 and 410 buses are routed down Lough Attalia Rd, or if they'll switch to going down Bohermore. The latter would make more sense, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Which points out another great factor: every single bus and truck heading to/from Harbour Enterprise Park is going to be going thru Eyre Square. That's gonna be fun. (Not).

I'm interested to see if the route 403, 409 and 410 buses are routed down Lough Attalia Rd, or if they'll switch to going down Bohermore. The latter would make more sense, I think.

Bus Eireann are planning on utilising their yard beside the merick for a shortcut to their depot in the docks. This will bring them out just across from the texaco on the lough atalia road.

and eh, what about the much-publicised otteress?

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Good question; would love to know what's going to happen with that station. I use it for Parcel Motel quite a lot as well.

Presumably it will still be open, along with the car park & various businesses in the area but access will only be from the docks direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I heard today that the station is due to close for 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Is there an official day this work is set to begin, need to plan logistics around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread title updated, is anything changes in schedule mode can update accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is there an official day this work is set to begin, need to plan logistics around it.

18th March is the road closure start date.

Advertisement