Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storage heaters or oil heating for rental property

Options
  • 10-12-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi, we,re doing up an spartment to rent. Small rursl town, lots of Polish, one of whom will likely end up in the property..question is, shoild we reinstate the existing ch oil fired system, or fire in some storage heaters?
    What do renters prefer?
    Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dennyk

Storage heaters are worse for the tenant, as they usually cost more to run and are more complex to properly manage temperature with, but they're much better for you as they require little or no ongoing maintenance. Oil-fired heaters with boilers need more TLC (servicing the system regularly, bleeding radiators, etc.) which you will have to pay for, and if the tenant lets the oil reservoir run dry, it may require expensive repairs to get it going again (which you will be obligated to do immediately, as heating is required under the minimum rental standards). If you can have storage heaters put in for a reasonable cost, that will probably be the best long-term option for a rental, given that most tenants are not likely to be very picky in the current market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is another thread here somewhere about putting in an air to air heat pump to heat an apartment. This might be a solution worth considering.

A lot depends on whether the apartment is really cold. If it is, then you need to be sure the new heating system, whatever it is, has plenty capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There are 2 aspects to this. What about the tenants preferences. Secondly what about your resale value? You should talk to a local auctioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

First off, no-one seems to know how storage heaters work. But they'll figure it out at no cost to you.

If they don't know to check the amount of oil there is in the tank, they'll run it until the tank is dry, and ring you when they top it and the oil burner won't switch on due to an airlock. It will probably cost you to have it fixed by an engineer.

Please ensure that the oil pipe is above ground, as otherwise if it bursts underground, the tenant will only find out after they've put in a 2nd tank of oil (happened to myself in a previous rented house).

=-=

I prefer an oil fired system. It's cold, oil heats the place up. Storage heaters only work during the day from the previous night; there also may not be any heat left in them come 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Oil heating is a way better option than storage heaters. You should show the person renting how to dip the tank to check for oil and how to bleed the boiler if is air locked and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Storage heaters can be set to work outside of the night saver electricity but they are a pain in the proverbial trying to master for optimal heating when needed and they cost a lot of money in electricity which is of no benefit to landlord or tenant.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storage are far better: too much risk of oil being stolen .

Storage are far better: too much risk of oil being stolen .

Does it happen a lot?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

If you going to get long term tenants who will use the heat correctly put in oil and you won't end up with a damp mouldy house when they move out. If you are expecting renters lasting less than a year stuck in storage heaters and expect to have to repaint every year to cover damp in poorly heated rooms.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does it happen a lot?

Easily accessible, not overlooked/quiet area tanks would have a relatively high risk of theft. Tanks behind terraced houses are unlikely to be touched; a tank on a holiday house should probably never have more than 100l in just in case.

OP has said this is an apartment, these would rarely have OFCH so the tank could be in an odd location with higher or lower risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Put in storage heaters if you plan to go back in time and rent your place out in the 80s/early 90s.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Easily accessible, not overlooked/quiet area tanks would have a relatively high risk of theft. Tanks behind terraced houses are unlikely to be touched; a tank on a holiday house should probably never have more than 100l in just in case.

OP has said this is an apartment, these would rarely have OFCH so the tank could be in an odd location with higher or lower risks.

Also said it was in a small rural town.

Does it happen a lot?

Not a lot. But it does happen. Wouldn't make me choose electric over oil.

Effects wrote: »

I was thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Put in storage heaters if you plan to go back in time and rent your place out in the 80s/early 90s.

Actually they are making a come back and much more user friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I have storage heaters in the main room in my (large enough apartment). Built a few years ago. Comes with thermostat controls etc. Very toasty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

New storage heaters really aren't as awful as the 80s ones most people remember. You do need to get a night rate meter installed or else the economy of them collapses though.

ted1 wrote: »
    Actually they are making a come back and much more user friendly

Actually, you're probably right. The guy in the suppliers said that to me a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

I have storage heaters in the main room in my (large enough apartment). Built a few years ago. Comes with thermostat controls etc. Very toasty.

Thats useful info, right there..

Actually, you're probably right. The guy in the suppliers said that to me a while back.

Thats grest folks, ill price up the modern types, see how itll go, thanks

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Thats grest folks, ill price up the modern types, see how itll go, thanks

I know someone that replaced the older model from about 15 years ago with the newest most efficient ones they could afford.

A close relative got a good discount on them, meant to use only one third of the power and are about one tenth of the weight. Can control them with an app on the phone from abroad blah de blah.

Waste of time compared to oil heating or a stove with a boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I would strongly avoid renting or buying a place that had storage heating and I know many others who would do the same. If I was just renting a place then I would definitely avoid them. All it takes is one gobshíte to not have a clue how to use it to give you a sky high bill. In a landlord's/seller's market like we have now that might not be much of a problem. Tenants/buyers will have to take what they can get and might compromise on that. But when the market normalises or if we ever get a situation like in the crash where it was a struggle to rent or sell a place, then your place would be a lot less desirable than a place with gas or oil.

I would strongly avoid renting or buying a place that had storage heating and I know many others who would do the same. If I was just renting a place then I would definitely avoid them. All it takes is one gobshíte to not have a clue how to use it to give you a sky high bill. In a landlord's/seller's market like we have now that might not be much of a problem. Tenants/buyers will have to take what they can get and might compromise on that. But when the market normalises or if we ever get a situation like in the crash where it was a struggle to rent or sell a place, then your place would be a lot less desirable than a place with gas or oil.

Great advice, ta

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Putting your whole winter heating budget into a tank and having it cleaned out on one go tends to concentrate the mind. Doesn't have to happen often ...once is enough.

All it takes is one gobshíte to not have a clue how to use it to give you a sky high bill.

It's the tenants bill, not the landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Another point to note: there is less possibility of a carbon monoxide incident with electric storage heaters, compared to with an oil boiler.

My advice would be electric heating with good controls, and you won't have any complaints. Oil is going to be increasingly taxed in the coming decade, so you run the risk of the tenant not using the oil heating due to running cost concerns (and so, a damp apartment).

What about rest of the apartment - decent insulation, and ventilation?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's the tenants bill, not the landlords.

I meant in the context of moving into a house share with electric storage heaters. I would be very reluctant to do it because all it takes is one person to cost everyone in the house/apartment a small fortune. I would be very reluctant to live in a place with electric storage heaters and I know many others who would as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Moving out of a house with storage heaters
    Never want to rent another house who have them
    On day time the house was warm and cosy but when at home after work the heat was gone
    Never again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Moving out of a house with storage heaters
    Never want to rent another house who have them
    On day time the house was warm and cosy but when at home after work the heat was gone
    Never again

I refused to use them in one rental. The landlord brought in a gas heater; perfect .

Graces7 wrote: »
    I refused to use them in one rental. The landlord brought in a gas heater; perfect .

Gas heaters create excess moisture though. That's why I wouldn't be into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A gas heater is a pretty expensive source of heat, especially as the main source of heat. In some apartment blocks it may be a breach of the head lease to use a gas heater for fire safety reasons.

Advertisement