Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sonoff WiFi Plug - €7.24 (using code) [Dressily]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,862 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

antodeco wrote: »
    Have one setup and working with Alexa no problems. My house is 5ghz and these only run over 2.4Ghz. Thankfully I had bought 2 wifi extenders, that run on 2.4Ghz, so setup a seperate smart home network. Resetting everything up now (Nest, Alexa and Philips Hue). Plugs work no problem.

How can you tell what GHz ones WiFi is running at?

App?

Ah found it by selecting my Wifi connection on phone and viewing details.

Turns out it's 2.4, yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Are people not running dual band routers in this day and age? Even basic company-provided ones can do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Both mibe arrived this morning. Boxes bashed to pieces but plugs working fine. Surprised how fast they came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Quick one
    I set one up tonight with a lamp, Works bang on, but as it is connected through my wifi, how could I turn on a light when I am away from home? Or is this even possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

vectra wrote: »
    Quick one
    I set one up tonight with a lamp, Works bang on, but as it is connected through my wifi, how could I turn on a light when I am away from home? Or is this even possible?

The app on your phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

vectra wrote:
    Quick one I set one up tonight with a lamp, Works bang on, but as it is connected through my wifi, how could I turn on a light when I am away from home? Or is this even possible?

Once u have internet on your phone...u can do it from anywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mines arrived this morning, but I think one of them may be damaged/faulty.

I have my Google home plugged into one (I want to be able to turn it off and on at the wall without going near it) and it will turn it off no problem by saying "ok google turn kitchen socket off"

But goggle home doesn't answer anymore commands to turn it back on again. :mad:

How do I send this back does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

ThIs is what mine is saying.

Preparing to Dispatch [Information Received] (Country code: IE)

I have no clue if that means that it's preparing to dispatch to Ireland or if it's here and it's preparing to dispatch to me....

It's a bit scant on details.

Same here. I ordered two. One is on the way to Ireland now but the second just says

559ZI03.png
    The lack of posting date is a worry...

EDIT: missed your post above. Hopefully mine's on the way too!

Mines arrived this morning, but I think one of them may be damaged/faulty.

I have my Google home plugged into one (I want to be able to turn it off and on at the wall without going near it) and it will turn it off no problem by saying "ok google turn kitchen socket off"

Haha are you on the wind up? You're 'unplugging' Google home through Google home with that command, if it's not plugged in how can it answer you to plug itself back in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

U7Ghu2s.gif?noredirect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

looks like this has expired...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

My 5 arrived yesterday now I just have to wait for the wifi to be installed to test them

U7Ghu2s.gif?noredirect

Tenuous at best

The app on your phone
    Once u have internet on your phone...u can do it from anywhere...

Networking and that is not my strong point :D

Am I to assume that I just leave everything as it is and once I leave home it will work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

3 arrived yesterday with another 2 on the way
    thanks OP

Can anyone tell me the Alexa skill I need to enable please?
    It is eWeLink?
    If it is then is the command "Alexa, Ask We Link turn on X"

Other WiFi plugs I have I just need to say "Alexa, turn on X"

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

frash wrote: »
    3 arrived yesterday with another 2 on the way
    thanks OP

Can anyone tell me the Alexa skill I need to enable please?
    It is eWeLink?
    If it is then is the command "Alexa, Ask We Link turn on X"

Other WiFi plugs I have I just need to say "Alexa, turn on X"

Thanks

You should just be able to say "Alexa, turn on X" at least thats how it works with other Sonoff switches

Will these fit in the letter box, or should I stick up the old "leave packages in the bin" sign? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

mrcheez wrote: »
    Will these fit in the letter box, or should I stick up the old "leave packages in the bin" sign? :)

Wouldn't fit in a standard letterbox. Had to collect mine from sorting office

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Mr.S wrote: »
    The Google Home isn’t turning back on becuse it’s turned off, so can’t hear the command?

Das ist der witz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭matchthis

mrcheez wrote: »
    Das ist der witz

The lights are on, but nobody's home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭wait4me

Let Google do the turning off for you but use the app to turn it on again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭wait4me

Sniipe wrote: »
    looks like this has expired...
    Yep the discount code seems to be done. Lucky I used it yesterday :D

wait4me wrote: »
    Yep the discount code seems to be done. Lucky I used it yesterday :D

Missed out.
    I wanted to order 3 more,.
    Ah well, I did good with 5 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

doesn't seem to like my wifi (Virgin Media Hub 3.0) something about 5.0ghz not supported....I've not really looked into it yet as I didn't have time...Anyone else get this error?

neacy69 wrote: »
    doesn't seem to like my wifi (Virgin Media Hub 3.0) something about 5.0ghz not supported....I've not really looked into it yet as I didn't have time...Anyone else get this error?

Just make sure you have 2.4GHz enabled by logging into your router and going to the wireless section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Networking and that is not my strong point :D

Am I to assume that I just leave everything as it is and once I leave home it will work?

No worries, yup as another user said, once u have internet on your phone u will be able to control watever is plugged into ure wifi socket via the app.

No worries, yup as another user said, once u have internet on your phone u will be able to control watever is plugged into ure wifi socket via the app.

Thanks,
    Tried it today from about 500mtrs away from my house and it worked.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks,
    Tried it today from about 500mtrs away from my house and it worked.
    Cheers

You could be 500,000 metres away and it will work as long as your phone can connect to the internet.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just make sure you have 2.4GHz enabled by logging into your router and going to the wireless section.

You'd think that would work but alas, nope. I've a load of 2.4Ghz devices and won't connect (despite both frequencies) being on! I assume its competent virgin doing their thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

antodeco wrote: »
    You'd think that would work but alas, nope. I've a load of 2.4Ghz devices and won't connect (despite both frequencies) being on! I assume its competent virgin doing their thing!

The first time I tried to set up it gave me that error. I changed nothing and the second time it didn't. Make sure you're right beside your router. I think that helps.

errlloyd wrote: »
    The first time I tried to set up it gave me that error. I changed nothing and the second time it didn't. Make sure you're right beside your router. I think that helps.

Yep right beside the router. I have sky Q and fibre broadband. Had the same issue. Came across a piece where a guy was trying to connect a 2.4ghz wireless camera and was told to do this. Gave it a shot and worked second or third time. You can then unplug the socket an put it in its correct location and will remember the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Adam1100

is it supposed to turn red while trying to connect ?

Ewelink is the app to use. It’s available on play store and App Store. It’ll prompt you through the steps when opened, but as above, might be best to set it up when right beside your router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Using an iPhone on Virgin BB and unable to pair these through Ewelink.

I solved this by using my son's Android phone to pair. It now works on the iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

You can buy more - that code still worked for me this morning - I bought 3 for €21.04

• Advertisement

Smiley012 wrote: »
    You can buy more - that code still worked for me this morning - I bought 3 for €21.04

The code can only be used 2 times per customer account.
    I guess register a new account and order again is the way to go.

These yokes are brilliant.
    Ordered another 3 with a new account
    €18.50

Thanks again OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Just bought two more myself :)

Cheers OP

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Bought three of these. Thanks for the find op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got 3 too. :)

Thanks Basq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Has anyone got these working with Google Home yet. I can't figure out how to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Pocaide wrote: »

Mine came this morning. Set up with Google home within a few minutes.

Just setup with the ewlink app and account first. Then set up your plug(s).

Go into Google home app, click on home controls, then click add button in bottom right. Then choose "smart we link". Just log in to your account and it will add it to your google home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Genghis

Mine arrived today too. Bought 4, no duties, declared value was €16 I think.

Working great, very pleased, thanks OP. Might order some more later too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Just bought another 3. The first 3 I got were perfect.

I thought the offer had expired. But tried it again just now and the code was accepted. Thanks again OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Genghis

Jofspring wrote: »

Go into Google home app, click on home controls, then click add button in bottom right. Then choose "smart we link". Just log in to your account and it will add it to your google home.
    Pocaide wrote: »

Having same trouble as you Pocaide.

@Jofspring do you have Google Home devices? I don't, but have Google Home app with Chromecast etc. I was hoping to use Google Assistant via phone but now I wonder if you need a Google Home device in order even for the Home Control option to appear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Jofspring wrote: »

What he/she said.

One thing that tripped me up, briefly, was that that I was looking to add Ew link which doesn't appear in the alphabetical list. It's smart link, as mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Thank you all for your replies. I have it working no thanks to ye. Was searching for EWelink to add is where I was going wrong

Thanks again all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mr E wrote: »
    Got 3 too. :)

Thanks Basq.

Got 3 myself. Thanks Basq :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Genghis wrote: »
    Having same trouble as you Pocaide.

@Jofspring do you have Google Home devices? I don't, but have Google Home app with Chromecast etc. I was hoping to use Google Assistant via phone but now I wonder if you need a Google Home device in order even for the Home Control option to appear?

I have a Google home alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

These yokes are brilliant.
    Ordered another 3 with a new account
    €18.50

Thanks again OP.

How did you get it down to 18.50?

• Advertisement
Advertisement