Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

You make it sound like it's a drop in the ocean, anything that can help fund this country for a few weeks or months is a hugely positive thing.

And what's with using the word populism as if it's a bad thing, do you even know what populism means?

Not if it costs thousands of jobs it isn't. And populism as it's used is the same tactics that all the brutal oppressive regimes of the world have used to come to power - blame others for all the problems in society and promise the sun moon and stars with no grounding in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,858 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jh79 wrote: »
    I think the 11 week COVID-19 dole is alone costing 3 billion. So worth looking at but it would only offer temporary relief even if we got the whole lot so lets not pretend that SF repeatedly bringing it up is anything other than populism.

Repeatedly?

They are an opposition party. That IMO is the duty of an opposition. Keep the pressure on if you believe in something.

There are many examples of that pressure working on a sitting government. For good or for ill.

But that is how a democracy is supposed to work...calling it populism is just a cheap jibe tbh.

Not if it costs thousands of jobs it isn't. And populism as it's used is the same tactics that all the brutal oppressive regimes of the world have used to come to power - blame others for all the problems in society and promise the sun moon and stars with no grounding in reality.

Apple are not going to be allowed to do this if they wish to operate in the EU...so the choices for them are even more limited tbh. A case of having to suck it up...just like Amazon had to do with the Swiss fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What are you on about with your "if it costs thousands of jobs", don't be so ridiculous please.

Apple were caught cooking the books, caught by the balls, they owe the money.

They are based in Cork for business reasons not out of a sense of loyalty to Cork or Ireland.

They are one of the most ruthless companies in the world.

Go on away now and look up populism for yourself.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

You make it sound like it's a drop in the ocean, anything that can help fund this country for a few weeks or months is a hugely positive thing.

And what's with using the word populism as if it's a bad thing, do you even know what populism means?

Populism refers to a range of political stances that emphasise the idea of "the people" and often juxtapose this group against "the elite".

We can't touch the money cause it is an escrow account, we are still waiting on the final ruling and we don't what portion would belong to us anyways.

Yet this is SF major concern, the "elites" like apple need to pay.

• Advertisement

What are you on about with your "if it costs thousands of jobs", don't be so ridiculous please.

Apple were caught cooking the books, caught by the balls, they owe the money.

They are based in Cork for business reasons not out of a sense of loyalty to Cork or Ireland.

They are one of the most ruthless companies in the world.

Go on away now and look up populism for yourself.

You just proved his point. They are here for business reasons and SF want to make that environment less hospitable for them.

Apple are not going to be allowed to do this if they wish to operate in the EU...so the choices for them are even more limited tbh. A case of having to suck it up...just like Amazon had to do with the Swiss fines.

They can operate in the EU without operating in Ireland.

Populism refers to a range of political stances that emphasise the idea of "the people" and often juxtapose this group against "the elite".

We can't touch the money cause it is an escrow account, we are still waiting on the final ruling and we don't what portion would belong to us anyways.

Yet this is SF major concern, the "elites" like apple need to pay.

They're not elites they're crooks, what don't you understand about that?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

You just proved his point. They are here for business reasons and SF want to make that environment less hospitable for them.

No, Sinn Fein simply want them to pay what they owe.

They can operate in the EU without operating in Ireland.

Yeh, of course they can, but why go to further expense moving operations? Spite?

Big business doesn't operate that way.

• Advertisement

They're not elites they're crooks, what don't you understand about that?

You can't be an elite and a crook? Bizarre reply.

SF were not too concerned about tax evasion when Slab was at it.

Here is what the SF leader said about Murphy's conviction at the time:
    everyone has a duty to pay the taxes for which they are liable.
    There can be no equivocation on this whatsoever. Those who for any reason have been in default of tax returns need to rectify this and need to ensure that tax returns are in order and in accordance with the law.

Yeh, of course they can, but why go to further expense moving operations? Spite?

Big business doesn't operate that way.

Under current practices they wouldn't leave but a SF led government that could change. There plan is to make them pay more and given their manifesto it will have to be significantly more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Runaways wrote: »
    I’m in isolation if you must know and bored out of my skull. You lads get to do shifts.
    There’s a difference.

From what I have seen, there is more SF ‘bots’ on here than all other party supporters combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The ERSI are predicting a 7% shrink in the economy due to actions taken in response to the virus. A lot of people are going to be relying on SW and tax take is being decimated. This should be a fertile hunting ground for SF and the left. Will it be?

yes? no? we're looking at 18% unemployment

To quote a writer I admire, "I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain this to you."

He got a lot of praise too. Not sure how much we can say on here about him but the last thing that man deserves is praise.

Under current practices they wouldn't leave but a SF led government that could change. There plan is to make them pay more and given their manifesto it will have to be significantly more.

That is in line with the intention of the EU, as far as i can see.

Limited choices for Apple and multinationals again...if they want to operate in the EU.

And we all know why SF wanted a jury trial for him.

Mary Lou is under the weather and staying at home.

“ SF MCDONALD UNWELL

Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald is not participating in today's Dail proceedings as she is feeling unwell.

The Dail is sitting to pass further emergency legislation to deal with the Covid-19 crisis.

In a tweet she wrote: "Woke up this morning with a head cold. Talking to my GP later.

"For now lying low, staying home. Over to @PearseDoherty to lead the charge at today's Dail sitting.

"Stay safe everyone."”

• Advertisement

And we all know why SF wanted a jury trial for him.

So, the SF leaders actual statement and position rubbishes your cheap jibe:
    jh79 wrote:

so you tack to another cheap jibe/angle? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I haven't seen or heard anything from Mary Lou, Slab Murphy and other good Republicans in ages.

What's going on?

It's clearly not just you, it's you and all the other eFFing blueshirts that stink this place out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

From what I have seen, there is more SF ‘bots’ on here than all other party supporters combined.

New account registered 22/03/2020

48 posts

Sure they are.

Emmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Mary loo using the excuse of a head cold now. Great leadership material right there

Mary Lou is under the weather and staying at home.

“ SF MCDONALD UNWELL

Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald is not participating in today's Dail proceedings as she is feeling unwell.

The Dail is sitting to pass further emergency legislation to deal with the Covid-19 crisis.

In a tweet she wrote: "Woke up this morning with a head cold. Talking to my GP later.

"For now lying low, staying home. Over to @PearseDoherty to lead the charge at today's Dail sitting.

"Stay safe everyone."”

Maybe she’ll self isolate for 24 hours again...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Maybe she’ll self isolate for 24 hours again...

FF and FG are setting up the government aren't they. They would have had it set up long before now if they stopped bitching about SF for 5 minutes.

Mary loo using the excuse of a head cold now. Great leadership material right there

Will Simon Coveney be there? Wonder what his excuse will be?

Take your mealy mouthedness somewhere else. She is doing what she is supposed to do if she feels ill.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    FF and FG are setting up the government aren't they. They would have had it set up long before now if they stopped bitching about SF for 5 minutes.

FG are busy running the country. Try to keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Oh for f*ck's sake. If she showed up for work anyway and was visibly displaying symptoms during it, coughing, sniffling etc, the anti-SF crowd would be out of the traps like rockets to condemn her for being irresponsible and putting publicity before safety.

• Advertisement

Will Simon Coveney be there? Wonder what his excuse will be?

Take your mealy mouthedness somewhere else. She is doing what she is supposed to do if she feels ill.

The doctors and nurses have enough to be dealing with without loo’s head cold. Great leadership material right there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement