Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSFIV:Initial impressions.

Options
  • 30-04-2010 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

The ssfiv discussion thread is so long I thought I'd start one to discuss the changes in SSFIV. Obviously the new online lobbies greatly improve the experiance and the upcoming tournament download will be a nice addition. Hopefully there'll be a champion ship mode too. I do miss the player matches though. Sometimes I like to experiment with a character I'm unfamiliar with without losing battle points. Having the remixed old BGM is great. It does seem surreal for some of the stages.ie Honda and Chunners themes playing in the amazon jungle but it's a great option to have. I am slightly dissapointed that survival and time attack have been left out of the trials this time and the gallery mode is gone too. It sounds like I'm nit picking but it just seems a bit odd to omit them when it would have been so easy to retain these features.
    On the plus side the announcer is better than his predecessor and the over all "front end" is much sleeker and the new stages are amongst the most vibrant in the game. Nice to have the bonus stages return too.

Going to where it matters,gameplay, the introduction of ten new characters really opens up so many new possibilities. The introduction of a second ultra means I now have a fairly different strategy for playing chunners. My experience of playing the new and returning characters so far has been mixed. Dee Jay is very powerfull. I would'nt be surprised if he's in the top tier. He has a great mix of varied tools. I was also impressed by Adon. He's incrediably fast and has some good ex specials. Cody looks a character worth investing time in, I never really bothered with him in Alpha 3, but I might now.
    T.Hawk is incrediably powerful and is a beast once you manage to get a comfortable style going with him,which takes longer than the likes of D.J. ect. His crouch HP has incrediable range,one massive ark. His specials allow him to launch a powerful rush attack horizontally,vertically and descending.
    I've yet to get any good with Makoto,I really want to. I'm not sure I know how to make the most of her, I did'nt play much 3rd strike. I can't see much use to her dragon punch-esque attack right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

The gallery is sorely missed. I do like the easier, more gradiated way of unlocking titles and icons, it should hopefully lead to more individualisation. Having to unlock taunts and colours for each character individually is going to be a pain, though.

I still prefer the old announcer, this guy sounds like he doesn't give a rats what's happening. Haven't heard the opening intro music yet, because my screen is a bit daft and the sound doesn't come on until five or ten minutes have passed. The new stages are indeed awesome, especially the Eclipse stage. The meerkats in particular rock, one of them starts shaking the hips pretty loco at the end of a match, but there's also a graphical glitch that bugs me: When the first big hippo comes forward and plops down, another comes up behind him and their models overlap. Tiny, tiny nitpick.

I love endless battles, way more than player matches. I always felt rude quitting out of a player match after a round or two. The new BP system has me scratching my head, but I'll get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Yawn. Same game, new characters

zzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'm really enjoying the new ten dudes, they're all fairly varied play style wise, but for the most part all completely usable too. Hopefully they'll see use at high level play.
    I'm really digging Juri though I'm still trying to figure out how to use her without spamming her dive kick for half the match. Even saying that, every match she's in is great fun to watch because of her flashy and flowy moves.

However, as much as I'm enjoying it there is one massive change that has pretty much ruined online play for me: the lack of those little smiley faces. WTF? Those things were awesome! =(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Not played a lot so far but enjoying it. New characters and ultras mix the game up a bit and traditional matchups can be changed with that flick of a selection.

Like the way that the trials are done. No longer does one bad combination mean that you cannot learn a character - just skip to the next! Or retry as many times as you like. If you're good at the trials the win quote can get a little grating though (thankfully I do not have that problem! :) )

Haven't tried online as yet - was psyching myself up for some last night when my router went on strike. Probably better off! Like the new concepts though.

Many easy achievements for those of you that it matters to ;) - Set icon & status; do 10 trials with a character; get x score in the barrell mini game (Zangief + Lariat = blip)

Presentation of game is better - smooth menus that are well laid out, although some are partnered with bizarre pictures, announcer is alright in my books too.

🤪

I think Seth might be easier to beat in Arcade, too. I've only been playing it through on medium but I definitely think he leaves himself open way more than he used to. Also love the way it saves your costume/taunt settings after you finish playing.

And DAN'S TAUNTS DO DAMAGE! JUSTICE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I think Seth might be easier to beat in Arcade, too. I've only been playing it through on medium but I definitely think he leaves himself open way more than he used to. Also love the way it saves your costume/taunt settings after you finish playing.

He's definitely easier. I was using Ibuki just now on easiest,one round (just to get the ending) and kept on sweeping him. Did'nt block once. Even on easiest this would never happen on vanilla.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played a few hours of this last night (I'm still relatively new to SFIV in general, so I still suck) but the online mode is a significant improvement. Was great to get Irish people online, although there only seemed to be three of us online at half two in the morning :pac: Have only messed around with Dee Jay, who seems like a decent sort of character. I'd love to play as Hakan, but I haven't much practice with the 'full rotation' characters so will be back to the training grounds for a while me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Seth is far easier to beat in Super, scarily so. Its too easy.

But then the rivals are really pissing me off. Bison seems to be telepathic when your playing as Juri. Ryu Vs Ken rival match is a pain too. Although they are the worst of them.

Im loving it anyway, really like the new characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Had an opening session with this last night. The new characters are all great, no duds and no one you feel at a disadvantage by playing. Well done capcom!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Adon is awesome and today, myself and Doyler learnt a valuable lesson, stay the hell away from T. Hawk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I like it. Seems nicely balanced for the most part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Seth is far easier to beat in Super, scarily so. Its too easy.

I've noticed this too, he really is easier to predict. I beat him without much hassle in hardest today, when occasionally in SFIV he can be a tricky beast to tame even on easier settings. I'm definitely not great at the game, but Seth definitely feels far easier to best this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

got this today as an annual cake day present.

http://twitpic.com/1jzwh7

Can't wait to start playing it, been busy all day so i couldn't touch it.

Anyone on Ps3 add me my PSN is:- cremins

They dont actually do damage, they just count as a hit =P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Cody is zzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I like Juri and Deejay. Finding it hard to defend against rush down cross-overs using Juri but then again that's a tactic I'm always weak against. My character choices don't help me.

Like the individual grades you get on each character. Also like the BP and PP lets you guess how good someone is in general and with that character. Finding a lot of random player match ups with the irish flag and always wonder if they are boardsies. Irish player called justica nadir keeps on kicking me around with bison. Still finding lots of Ryus and Kens and Sagats... so bored of fighting Ryus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I think Adon's manic laughter during his Ultra 2 sounds almost exactly like Spinal from Killer Instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    I like Juri and Deejay. Finding it hard to defend against rush down cross-overs using Juri but then again that's a tactic I'm always weak against. My character choices don't help me.

Like the individual grades you get on each character. Also like the BP and PP lets you guess how good someone is in general and with that character. Finding a lot of random player match ups with the irish flag and always wonder if they are boardsies. Irish player called justica nadir keeps on kicking me around with bison. Still finding lots of Ryus and Kens and Sagats... so bored of fighting Ryus.

I love Juri as well, im finding her quite difficult to use though, her combos seem to be very tight to pull off :(. Having not played Streetfighter games in a few years ive resorted to Cody :p easy and fun. I love Guy and Dudley as well. Adon as a character too is brilliant I actually vaguely remember him from SF1 my brother had it on pc.
    Im not sure why but i cant handle charge characters anymore, its a pity I used to love Deejay in SF2Turbo.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

By far the best thing about this game is same region matching and the flag in the lobby.

The amount of people I've played from Ireland that I don't know from here is maddening. 2 of them were quite good too. I've been sending them messages afterwards about streetfighter.ie, the boards and the events. A few replied and seemed interested which is great.

It's probably the best thing our community could have asked for.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    By far the best thing about this game is same region matching and the flag in the lobby.

The amount of people I've played from Ireland that I don't know from here is maddening. 2 of them were quite good too. I've been sending them messages afterwards about streetfighter.ie, the boards and the events. A few replied and seemed interested which is great.

It's probably the best thing our community could have asked for.

I feel sorry for a couple of them actually. They must hate seeing us coming :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

True, people have already started quitting on me when they see me come in :(

In fairness, I kicked the face off one Irish guy a few times, and he sent me a message afterwards saying GG. He was decent actually, and was pretty interested in the community.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Similar for me, asked a coupl along and got kicked by a couple :(

I got kicked from an all-Irish Endless battle after winning one match :confused: Went back in, he kicked me again as soon as the round ended and he saw my name. Ehh. Jerks exist, I already knew that. This one was just really confusing, though.

Other little bits I've noticed is the subtitle error in akuma's battle intro has been fixed, and I can't seem to get a quick basic attack in after the K.O., but before their body hits the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

Irish player called justica nadir keeps on kicking me around with bison.

Yep - played him, he's quite good with bison alright but when I figured out the timing with his lag and bet him a few times in a row I got a "you are so scrub" message from him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I can't seem to get a quick basic attack in after the K.O., but before their body hits the ground.

Post K.O movement has been removed for some stupid reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I got kicked from an all-Irish Endless battle after winning one match :confused: Went back in, he kicked me again as soon as the round ended and he saw my name. Ehh. Jerks exist, I already knew that. This one was just really confusing, though.

That's pretty shitty. What was his name? I suppose I'm being naive in thinking all irish players I'm gonna run into will be all "ZOMG YOUR IRISH TOO! Whaaaaaaa? Theres a SCENE!? OMG HOW DO I GET INVOLVED!?!??!"

So far the worst I've gotten is just no reply back. Everyone else I've bumped into on PSN in Super that are new have had some ggs and left gracefully after a fight. Me and hound fought a new guy today. He stayed in the room for ages even with hounds domination and then my own after hound left :p

He was deffo not a new player though, was deffo experienced. Got messaging him , he's now in my friends list , well interested in the scene and says he has friends that play too and is gonna say it to them.

Still finding lots of Ryus and Kens and Sagats... so bored of fighting Ryus.

Noted man :p I'll play ibuki when I fight you so. As far as I remember you used to play vega? Needs some vega experience anyway. He seems good against ibuki.

Ramza wrote: »
    Post K.O movement has been removed for some stupid reason

Why, Capcom? WHY? =(
    It's such a stupid little thing, but it never got old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I loved it too, I miss it a lot with ibuki, she had some sweet looking post KO normals. Close HK and forward HK being my favs. Looked great in 3s. Even if you end a guy on a jab, was stylish looking to then kick them into the air with close HK. Looked so vicious.

I'm also sad as I I've been trying but I can't see it being possible to get post KO taunts in with her either. Since a kunai lands before she does. Not enough time to hit taunt before KO pops up. She's 1 or two cool but looooooong taunts as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Well, now I feel rude for not sending messages. SO thanks Kirby for the Yoga-flavoured face kicking and Bush for the two matches...Also to the other Irish that I cannot remember (only know the two others from here......and of course the reputation that precedes them :D)

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    True, people have already started quitting on me when they see me come in :(

Thats cause they know yr from Limerick !

Advertisement