Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Election and Government Formation Megathread (see post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Is it time for a 'Who would you vote for if a new election is called?' thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Good point. And for me a real tough decision to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Personally id vote for a party that actually would be interested in forming a government, not sitting on the ditch. That would rule out Soc Dems, SF, PBP and possibly greens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Personally id vote for a party that actually would be interested in forming a government, not sitting on the ditch. That would rule out Soc Dems, SF, PBP and possibly greens.

Well, the Greens currently have the opportunity to form a Gov, so if they do, then there will not be a vote. On the other hand, if they do not, then they will fall into the group that does not get your vote. Hmmm .... difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, the Greens currently have the opportunity to form a Gov, so if they do, then there will not be a vote. On the other hand, if they do not, then they will fall into the group that does not get your vote. Hmmm .... difficult.

There's a difference between actually trying and not trying at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

L1011 wrote: »
    There's a difference between actually trying and not trying at all.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

oceanman wrote: »
    health and housing were a total shambles...

Disagree. Who, in the last thirty years, was a better Minister for Health than Harris? Wasn't it Cowan referred to it as Angola?

Housing has been run as well as possible. There is not unlimited money to build limitless amounts of houses - and give to people more or less for free.
    If loads of houses were built the prices would fall and nobody would want to buy. They must always be scarce and hard to get.
    People always refer to the fifties and all the Council houses built then, but in those days Social Welfare did not comprise 30% of current Govt expenditure.
    I've heard nobody suggest taking €5 bn per annum (or even €1 bn) from social welfare budget to increase public housing.
    Murphy has done as well as the rest of them.

Good loser wrote: »
    Disagree. Who, in the last thirty years, was a better Minister for Health than Harris? Wasn't it Cowan referred to it as Angola?

Howlin? Although he got lucky timing wise as goes when legacy scandals that would have been challenging to handle (and Noonan didn't handle properly) popped up.

Martin's positives in the job are entirely cancelled by forming the HSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Housing has been run as well as possible. There is not unlimited money to build limitless amounts of houses - and give to people more or less for free.
    If loads of houses were built the prices would fall and nobody would want to buy. They must always be scarce and hard to get.
    People always refer to the fifties and all the Council houses built then, but in those days Social Welfare did not comprise 30% of current Govt expenditure.
    I've heard nobody suggest taking €5 bn per annum (or even €1 bn) from social welfare budget to increase public housing.
    Murphy has done as well as the rest of them.

WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Every party held discussions on government formation with the exception of Labour, it's important not to equate refusing to be the 3rd piece in a FF/FG centre right coalition as not wanting to be in government.

SF, SD and one half of the greens are especially interested in being part of the countries first progressive government though I'm guessing you knew that already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Downlinz wrote: »
    Every party held discussions on government formation with the exception of Labour, it's important not to equate refusing to be the 3rd piece in a FF/FG centre right coalition as not wanting to be in government.

SF, SD and one half of the greens are especially interested in being part of the countries first progressive government though I'm guessing you knew that already!

Countries first progressive government is very much open to opinion. Having witnessed SF in action in the north, to think they would be progressive in the Republic is a bit of a stretch IMO. Just repeating the word 'change' in an election campaign does not make them progressive. The level of discussions that SF held was utterly minimal also. Yes the numbers were a stretch, but no real attempt was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Countries first progressive government is very much open to opinion. Having witnessed SF in action in the north, to think they would be progressive in the Republic is a bit of a stretch IMO. Just repeating the word 'change' in an election campaign does not make them progressive. The level of discussions that SF held was utterly minimal also. Yes the numbers were a stretch, but no real attempt was made.

I think it was Eoin Ó Broin on the radio soon after the election saying "We've no problem joining a coalition with FG/FF; once it includes 50'000 social houses built a year, tax cuts, PS pay rises, social welfare rises, building hospitals, abolishing USC, no carbon tax, abolish property tax, more money for farmers, rent to be capped at 100 a week etc. But if we can't guarantee these things we'll walk away"

Effectively saying "we'll join a coalition once the other party has no say in actually governing the country. Their job will be to vote for all SF's policies in the Dáil"

That's tantamount to not attempting to form a government.

Downlinz wrote: »

Labour made requests that would need to be discussed to enter negotiations with FF/FG, with no response provided to them.

More practical than talking to SF about the impossible numbers game they were trying to do

I think it was Eoin Ó Broin on the radio soon after the election saying "We've no problem joining a coalition with FG/FF; once it includes 50'000 social houses built a year, tax cuts, PS pay rises, social welfare rises, building hospitals, abolishing USC, no carbon tax, abolish property tax, more money for farmers, rent to be capped at 100 a week etc. But if we can't guarantee these things we'll walk away"

Effectively saying "we'll join a coalition once the other party has no say in actually governing the country. Their job will be to vote for all SF's policies in the Dáil"

That's tantamount to not attempting to form a government.

If correct the arrogance of that statement from O'Broin is breathtaking.
    His arithmetic doesn't match his arrogance though.
    Alone the 50,000 houses would cost €16 billion - per annum!!
    Absurd.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Absurd.
    Sure 50k houses over five years as suggested by Eoin is nothing. Ruth Coppinger wants 100k...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/housing-committee-target-50-000-homes-in-five-years-1.2689647

Sure 50k houses over five years as suggested by Eoin is nothing. Ruth Coppinger wants 100k...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/housing-committee-target-50-000-homes-in-five-years-1.2689647

I've read that It piece.
    Crab R had said O'B said 50,000 per annum - that should be over 5 years I see now.
    Even so that Committee report says €1.8bn per annum would supply 10,000 houses; this is absurd, the usual funny money, crap the fast talking O'Broin slips into discussions on housing. Take everything that man says with a spoon of salt. €1m will supply 3 houses; so €1 bn provides 3,000. So 10,000 per annum will cost € 3.3 billion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Apologies if I caused any confusion, but my "50'000 a year" was figurative. I just knew it was some very high number...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Watching the week in politics earlier, the SF TD who I did not recognise was very poor. Refused to answer the questions, stating the obvious continually, talking nonsense too and saying the government should increase the 350 payment and until end of year. They need to just shut up and prepare for opposition. Are they all coached to avoid the question? To be fair all the TDs were poor but the SF lad stood out. Awful moaner.

Watching the week in politics earlier, the SF TD who I did not recognise was very poor. Refused to answer the questions, stating the obvious continually, talking nonsense too and saying the government should increase the 350 payment and until end of year. They need to just shut up and prepare for opposition. Are they all coached to avoid the question? To be fair all the TDs were poor but the SF lad stood out. Awful moaner.

Hard to disagree with one word You say above. But in fairness to the SF bloke, I heard MLou also blabber her mouth off along the same lines. I wonder where they think the money is to come from? The trees, which are also wilting under the heat.

AOn the face being in oppositon? It hurts to have to admit it'll be probably the FFG & the taxing greens for the foreseeable future - unless we can have another election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Leo should be brave and go to the country

How can he agree rotating Taoiseach when he us polling 35% and Mehole 15%?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Absurd.

You think the cost price to build a house is €320,000? And that the state would hand them out for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I've read that It piece.
    Crab R had said O'B said 50,000 per annum - that should be over 5 years I see now.
    Even so that Committee report says €1.8bn per annum would supply 10,000 houses; this is absurd, the usual funny money, crap the fast talking O'Broin slips into discussions on housing. Take everything that man says with a spoon of salt. €1m will supply 3 houses; so €1 bn provides 3,000. So 10,000 per annum will cost € 3.3 billion.

there's no reason why we can't set up a state building agency to build social housing, remove the profit , council would oversee it with builders directly employed by council.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

During a pandemic lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

How can he agree rotating Taoiseach when he us polling 35% and Mehole 15%?

It`s a very fine line that separates brave and reckless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

During a pandemic lockdown?

Yep, if we have an election it can't be business as usual in the era of social distancing and intense personal hygiene.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yep, if we have an election it can't be business as usual in the era of social distancing and intense personal hygiene.

With the internal bickering in the tax mad greens, I think FFG are making one huge mistake inviting the greens into bed. Can see an election before year end, with neither leo/mick/cathy in power.

What a damn mess we are in!

Edit: I meant to say neither Leo/Mick/cathy-eamo as leaders of their respective party's

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

With the internal bickering in the tax mad greens, I think FFG are making one huge mistake inviting the greens into bed. Can see an election before year end, with neither leo/mick/cathy in power.

What a damn mess we are in!

Would a collection of Independents really be any worse than this bunch of Green in-fighting loons ?

charlie14 wrote: »
    Would a collection of Independents really be any worse than this bunch of Green in-fighting loons ?

Good question, and one I honestly cannot answer. One of the few independents who stand out for me is Michael Fitzmaurice. But he's only one, FFG need a multiple of that to carry on their shenanigans without the greens.. And of course, it will be very hard to get 10/12 independents to sing off the same hymn sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

All not good in FF either and Coveney doesn't seem too comfortable. Mess.

All not good in FF either and Coveney doesn't seem too comfortable. Mess.

Cád é?

• Advertisement

Cád é?

Just commenting on the chat about the mess the Greens are in. All isn't rosy in any of them.

Just commenting on the chat about the mess the Greens are in. All isn't rosy in any of them.

But what exactly are you talking about re Coveney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'm looking forward to a few green party ideas in government

Micro energy generation being one
    Rainwater collection systems on new houses
    Increase in allotment funding
    More cycle infrastructure
    More public transport investment

He was reported to be less than happy at one stage.

He was reported to be less than happy at one stage.

I would be too knowing you've to go to cabinet with Martin. He's gonna have to give up Tánaiste too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

He has been constantly sounding off through the whole process, not the actions of someone who is comfortable with where things are going.

Meanwhile as the ffg'ers are canoodling for a state pension, here comes the bould phil the 'drip'.

https://www.thejournal.ie/phil-hogan-wto-5118395-Jun2020/#comments

Has this clown ANY compunction? And I wonder at the end of the day just how many pensions will this vulture have in his pocket? :rolleyes:

Trying to pick a replacement commissioner would be a political nightmare right now also, realistically. Probably have to raid the retirement homes like we did for MGQ due to not wanting a face a by-election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Trying to pick a replacement commissioner would be a political nightmare right now also, realistically. Probably have to raid the retirement homes like we did for MGQ due to not wanting a face a by-election.

Its Coveney or Varadker, neither wants to be referred to as ex or former

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Mairead McGuinness could be a possibility (and quite a strong candidate at that).

• Advertisement

Meanwhile as the ffg'ers are canoodling for a state pension, here comes the bould phil the 'drip'.

https://www.thejournal.ie/phil-hogan-wto-5118395-Jun2020/#comments

Has this clown ANY compunction? And I wonder at the end of the day just how many pensions will this vulture have in his pocket? :rolleyes:

Regardless of your obvious dislike for Phil, but eh, should people not apply for jobs if they feel they're capable?

Lord knows I'm no fan of Phil, but going to the WTO, how will it affect you outside of being miffed that a Paddy gets the job?

There has been nothing stopping you becoming a TD or official at any point.

Regardless of your obvious dislike for Phil, but eh, should people not apply for jobs if they feel they're capable?

Lord knows I'm no fan of Phil, but going to the WTO, how will it affect you outside of being miffed that a Paddy gets the job?

There has been nothing stopping you becoming a TD or official at any point.

Eh, You mean a person who stated he will order that taps be turned off to a trickle to force the people to pay for water? Sorry, but anyone who issues threats like that is to be despised at all costs. And to think he was elected as a public representative?

Can just imagine phil sitting between trump and the Chinese trying to strike a trade deal lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Jizique

Eh, You mean a person who stated he will order that taps be turned off to a trickle to force the people to pay for water? Sorry, but anyone who issues threats like that is to be despised at all costs. And to think he was elected as a public representative?

Can just imagine phil sitting between trump and the Chinese trying to strike a trade deal lol

Sorry to disappoint but Trump doesn’t negotiate trade deals.

Its Coveney or Varadker, neither wants to be referred to as ex or former

Varadkar has a very good PR way to spend his 18 months off - don't take a ministry, do 4 days a week as a hospital doctor. Id be amazed if that hasn't been decided as his path already
    blackwhite wrote: »
    Mairead McGuinness could be a possibility (and quite a strong candidate at that).

I think her first sub as MEP is Gabby McFadden which would be useful to get her profile back up also

Eh, You mean a person who stated he will order that taps be turned off to a trickle to force the people to pay for water?
    Right? You obviously took that personally?

You still not paying for your bins eh?

Sorry, but anyone who issues threats like that is to be despised at all costs.

Can I see your hate scale?
    And to think he was elected as a public representative?

The people of Carlow/KK decided he was worthy of a seat in Dáil Éireann. I didn't vote for him.

If I had the misfortune to live in Carlow or Kilkenny I likely wouldn't have either.

To piss and moan about him now is hilarious.

Your awareness and knowledge really summarised right there. G'luck.

Varadkar has a very good PR way to spend his 18 months off - don't take a ministry, do 4 days a week as a hospital doctor. Id be amazed if that hasn't been decided as his path already

Not a hope.

There is an elegant handover of Phil leaving and LV taking the Commissioner job. But it ain't happening now.

We all know that this is the time for change in FG if they end up without the Taoiseach's office in the next govt.

Leo couldn't possibly take any local demotion. It couldn't possibly happen.

Not a hope.

There is an elegant handover of Phil leaving and LV taking the Commissioner job. But it ain't happening now.

We all know that this is the time for change in FG if they end up without the Taoiseach's office in the next govt.

Leo couldn't possibly take any local demotion. It couldn't happen.

Not a hope.

Leo couldn't possibly take any local demotion. It couldn't happen.

Leo couldn't possibly take any local demotion. It couldn't possibly happen.

Declining a ministry so he can "assist our health services in this time of crisis" avoids the demotion element. Remember he'll be back in 18 months so the Commissioner role would not be appropriate at all.

• Advertisement

Declining a ministry so he can "assist our health services in this time of crisis" avoids the demotion element. Remember he'll be back in 18 months so the Commissioner role would not be appropriate at all.

I don't see how you can see this as anything other than a demotion. If he's not Taoiseach by the end of this process I don't see how he would stay in government.

But he's certainly not toddling off to be a doctor for a year and a half.

Advertisement