Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and other lockdown madness

Options
  • 28-05-2020 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

I usually have a couple of cream cracker with peanut butter on them after my main lunch. Today I was looking at them and then a thought entered my head - "Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches". I'm in my thirties, grew up watching American tv crap shows and the kids are always eating them. I've been aware of them for three decades yet not once have I even thought about having one. Why not?

I think I'm gonna give one a go.

What weird food has your lockdown madness led you to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Wine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Are you just talking about peanut butter and jam? Because that is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

bluewolf wrote: »

That's my favourite comfort food but with a slice of chedder cheese on the peanut butter and jam on top and a cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Toasted sambos done on a George Foreman grill. Cheese (lots) olives apple lettuce tomato any leftover meat sausage. Mmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I bought a bottle of mead online. I thought I would be sitting outside in the Sun in the garden drinking my mead being all sophisticated. Turns out mead tastes like piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

What's called "jelly" in America isn't what we know as jelly, it's basically jam made from juice only, without any fruity bits. Much like they way over there, crisps are "chips" and chips are "fries".

I've discovered asparagus, sweet-potato and emmental cheese sauce pastries in the Aldi, and I'm aytin' them like some sort of demented eejit. With portions of meat, of course. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I only know what Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches are because they are Bret Hart's favourite food*

According to a Wrestling magazine from 1995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Jam, OP, jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Crunchy peanut butter smothering a slice of Irish brown bread(proper stuff, not slice pan shoite) with a covering of raspberry conserve and a mug of coffee...nuff said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mmmmmm, Bramble jelly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Bacon & Cabbage Sangwitch

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

peanut butter and jam , two of my least favourite foods

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Forget your jam try peanut butter and golden syrup. And don’t knock it till you’ve tried it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Toasted ham and smoked mature cheddar on chia bread for breakfast

lying on the couch on a Tuesday morning watching the Red Bull down hill thing

Covid decadence

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

jimgoose wrote: »
    What's called "jelly" in America isn't what we know as jelly, it's basically jam made from juice only, without any fruity bits. Much like they way over there, crisps are "chips" and chips are "fries".

So, not really like crisps/chips at all because , as you say, jelly and jam are actually two different things. We also have jelly here but it's usually homemade rather than commercially produced.

Redcurrant jelly would be a commonly available commercially produced jelly.
    Crabapple jelly, a well known homemade jelly.

Don't pedant a pedant!! ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

I tried penaut butter and jam (blackcurrent) on a cracker. I shall not be repeating that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Jam, OP, jam.

What's the difference between jam and jelly?
    ðŸ˜

So, not really like crisps/chips at all because , as you say, jelly and jam are actually two different things. We also have jelly here but it's usually homemade rather than commercially produced.

Redcurrant jelly would be a commonly available commercially produced jelly.
    Crabapple jelly, a well known homemade jelly.

Don't pedant a pedant!! ðŸ˜

It's all bollocks anyway - I call the whole lot "preserves". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

An excellent solution!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I tried penaut butter and jam (blackcurrent) on a cracker. I shall not be repeating that.

A cracker?

Not sure about that. Try it on bread would be my advice.

My mum used make me peanut butter and jam sandwiches for school. Really lovely. I think I may have switched to butter and jam when I went to college (I was making my own sandwiches at this point). I tried pb &j again a few years back for old times sake and it just wasn't the same. Not sure if that's because I couldn't find the old brand of peanut butter we used to get though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In America, they don't have cows. They paint horses to look like cows.

In America, they don't have cows. They paint horses to look like cows.

Only in Hollywood. In Kansas, they use ducks - that looks much better on account of the huge flat expanse of land. It's a little-known true fact that if you drive as far as the horizon in Kansas you'll still have half as far again to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

What kind of twisted sicko thought to put peanut butter and jam between bread?

I tasted it once, awful as expected. Tasted like bacon somehow, but in a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Only in Hollywood. In Kansas, they use ducks - that looks much better on account of the huge flat expanse of land. It's a little-known true fact that if you drive as far as the horizon in Kansas you'll still have half as far again to go.

Another little known fact is that, you can drive for 48 hours straight in Kansas and not reach Kansas City because of the aforementioned horizonal issues.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm baking like a madman...scones, flapjacks, fruitcakes, lemon meringue's....and my speciality.. brown bread courtesy of odlums ready mix easy peasey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I only know what Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches are because they are Bret Hart's favourite food*

According to a Wrestling magazine from 1995

1995?

The characters in Sesame Street have been talking about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches since the early 70's.

I always pictured chivers strawberry jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I recommend peanut butter and banana sambos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Apart from jam, jelly, marmalade preserves can be pickles and chutneys too.
    It's like all the words for rain or snow - they're required to describe different variations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Attempted lots of homemade breads with varying success over the lockdown. Worst was naan bread. You'd have needed Jaws from James Bond teeth to eat them.

Advertisement