Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Strike is over. What happens now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭Robson99

Both of ye are right in what ye say lads

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

wrangler wrote: »
    There you are now, cattle running out because of the high kills all year as I said it would. :D

"They did that before too, but it didn't go on for long.
    They're being bombarded with cattle at the moment." - quote also from you Wrangler.

Its easy to be right half the time when you talk out of 2 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Robson99 wrote: »
    Both of ye are right in what ye say lads

This is true.

Add in there is truth in many lads doing Sucklers when they would be better off with dairy bred animals, not all but many.

Many of all types better off cutting a few than increasing inputs.

While we are a globally important player in beef exports, no. 6, we only have a half percent of the world's cattle. That said the difference is our half percent is traded internationally.

Whether Tadgh pays 50 over the odds at the Mart for his bullocks because he was tired after the day is immaterial I think to price in the factory. Th

If anything the part time lad doing that has helped the Suckler man.

What was right years ago in farming isn't always right now.

What is good farming at 4.10 might be as wrong as hell at 3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They're being bombarded with cattle at the moment." - quote also from you Wrangler.

When I said the high kills couldn't go on I didn't allow for farmers at the factory gates destroying farmers incomes for two months and backing up cattle.
    And yes, cattle are backed up at the moment because of that.
    And after all that a poor deal........ like wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭maidhc

When I said the high kills couldn't go on I didn't allow for farmers at the factory gates destroying farmers incomes for two months and backing up cattle.
    And yes, cattle are backed up at the moment because of that.
    And after all that a poor deal........ like wtf

I think cattle prices would be higher today (maybe) if it were not for the strikes, but I still think there were worthwhile even if to show farmers are not compplete muppets and wont keep taking forever!

• Advertisement

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I would kind of fall into the class of farmer you are talking about, I have a full time job, keep 20 sucker cows and feed 30 bucket fed calves (AAx & Hex for the bonus) and then buy a few stores. But every animal is bought / reared for a target market and I can assure you I wouldn't be at it if I wasn't making money. Not as much this year as other years but I have made more profit this year 2019 than last year 2018. I have nearly all my cattle sold every year by the end of July to get the best prices. All I have left to go now is a few cull cows and a few that took a wee while to put on flesh and 2 yokes that were bought for small money last Christmas but they will cover themselves. Some big full time farmers are of the opinion that part time lads selling 50 - 60 cattle a year a only messing I can assure you that is not the case.

It's a persons choice, older people happy enough to just have the cattle, doesn't matter if they don't pay.
    Most will be looking to make money though, these average incomes spouted on the telly are unreal, average incomes might be 10 - 15000 but the average time spent getting that income might be only 15hrs/wk.
    In england now, if you had 500 ewes you'd have another job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I knew somone that put a nice simmental weanling heifer up for sale on Donedeal recently. Had 3 calls in the first half hour. First fella that came, bought her. There is a lot more at play here than running a business. Lads like being out and about. Sitting inside looking at the TV just doesnt appeal to them.

I think that was half the appeal of the protest too - once lads got into it, going down to the gates and chatting with other farmers was a bit of a social outing.

Might be easier than factories think to get the gates blocked again, especially when the only major job to be done in the yard for the next few months is feeding in the mornings

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Muckit wrote: »
    I wonder when lads get a sickening out of all this, will it knock a bit of the addiction off them?

Or will they be out buying and paying over the odds for stores in a few weeks time?
    The latter I'd say, same sh*t different day, although I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

I knew somone that put a nice simmental weanling heifer up for sale on Donedeal recently. Had 3 calls in the first half hour. First fella that came, bought her. There is a lot more at play here than running a business. Lads like being out and about. Sitting inside looking at the TV just doesnt appeal to them.

I remember years ago withdrawing a good BB heifer from the mart and bringing her home. The fella came back to our house a week later and bought her for the price we wanted. He said he just had to have her and that he should have just bought her at the mart. He had a decent job and loves having cattle. Happy out driving home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

lalababa wrote: »
    The latter I'd say, same sh*t different day, although I hope not.

They never stopped paying over the odds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

MIKEKC wrote: »
    They never stopped paying over the odds

Anyone who thinks that stores are sold "over the odds" in October any year should buy a batch of cows, rear their own stores, sell them and they won't be long getting their eyes opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Good loser

Wrong, that's what happened with the first protest and it was death of a thousand paper cuts. Second time around a few days later and lock all the fridges into the factory and they are on their knees in a few days. If I was to go again I wouldn't bother stopping cattle agin just fridges. Factory would be blocked up with beef and nowhere to go with it after a day or so.

Not a good idea.
    By clearing the meat, demand would be higher when the factories re opened - opening the way for a price rise (of sorts!).

Plus blocking in the fridges only would surely generate injunctions.

Saying this as I fervently hope never to see a strike/blockade again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

I saw somewhere that the Welsh Farmers are unhappy with the beef price and are in or heading for holyhead to block the Irish beef inmports.
    Not a great time to be an Irish Beef Baron!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

kk.man wrote: »
    I saw somewhere that the Welsh Farmers are unhappy with the beef price and are in or heading for holyhead to block the Irish beef inmports.
    Not a great time to be an Irish Beef Baron!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111334649&postcount=67

• Registered Users Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Steady interest in rare/native breed cattle too based on my recent experience of trying to secure a few Irish Moiled for the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

tanko wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that stores are sold "over the odds" in October any year should buy a batch of cows, rear their own stores, sell them and they won't be long getting their eyes opened.

I am well aware that the seller needs the price he is getting, but the buyer must look after his own side of the business. 430kg fresians last week e775. Can't see this price being justified coming into winter

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Ah poor warngler... hes not always right but he's never wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Who has the Power or leverage to Engage with that Big Elkephant in the Room .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Track9 wrote: »
    Who has the Power or leverage to Engage with that Big Elkephant in the Room .

It not nice to speak about wrangler that way

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

gerryirl wrote: »

Mod:Move on.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

greysides wrote: »
    gerryirl wrote: »

Mod:Move on.

Sorry I could not resist it although I squeezed hard,I did try
    So Sorry.........😪

Slava Ukrainii

Sorry I could not resist it although I squeezed hard,I did try
    So Sorry.........��

I really must be mixing with the wrong crowd, names being broadcast about those who stood the gates in Kilbeggan while they were killing in moyvalley and a cleaners car getting a windscreen smashed on the way out of kilbeggan as well.
    She must've had cattle in the boot....... lovely crowd and all for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

I really must be mixing with the wrong crowd, names being broadcast about those who stood the gates in Kilbeggan while they were killing in moyvalley and a cleaners car getting a windscreen smashed on the way out of kilbeggan as well.
    She must've had cattle in the boot....... lovely crowd and all for nothing

Sorry Wrangler but I can tell you that you are 100% wrong again. I was at the protest in Kilbeggan every day and there was no windscreen smashed on any car. There were no workers prevented or even delayed from entering or leaving the premises. The people on the picket stepped aside every time there was a workers car present and let them in and out without delay. Due to your severe inferiority complex, probably due to the fact you’ve spent your life in the fairytale world of IFA where money for yourselves is all that’s important, you seem to like shooting down anything that you personally are not involved in. It’s time for you to realise that the majority of farmers are disgusted at the actions of the IFA over the last 20 years or so and you making up lies on this forum does nothing to help that. I’ve already called you out once on your fairytales about the Kilbeggan protest and this is another one. You’ve stated before that you are from that area, if the protest concerned you so much why didn’t you call down to meet us and see for yourself what was happening? There is no need for making up stories. You will blabber on now about the IFA getting a €100 million fund for the farmers, there are 120,000 beef farmers in Ireland so that’s €833 each and you need to reduce your farm output by 5% to get it. It is only an IFA man that is used to getting money for nothing that could view this as a major benefit. Don’t get me wrong, all extra money is gratefully accepted into any farm enterprise but €833 is not going to be life changing to anyone’s farm and it’ll be spent the following year trying to build up your numbers again after dropping them to get it.

Reading a book called “Alchemy” at the moment and it reminded me of why people farm, especially those in beef farming at the moment.

If I’m understanding the book right, it seems we make decisions mostly based on instinct first and then later use “logic” to justify it to ourselves and to others.

Anyone who doesn’t factor our pre-historic human nature when talking about the future of farming is likely to get their policies and schemes wrong.

Ok, that’s today’s philosophy! Back to cleaning out the sheep shed now :-)

There are two factor's regarding the BEAM scheme which effect the value to farmers. The 5% reduction in Bovine nitrates next year this will close back it value in reduced production or in penalties. It will be exasperated by the drought last year forcing lads to slaughter/sell earlier.

The other factor was the reduction in beef prices during May/June this year. In a normal year price rises or holds until mid June and drops slowly then. This year from early May there was a rumour that May born cattle would qualify for the payment. It encouraged larger finisher's to pour cattle into the factories all through May. Price stagnated from early May and we say it falling from late May on.

IMO it took 15-20c/,kg off the peak price this year. As well the price of beef fell from a lower base and faster than normal. This was exasperated by two facts larger finisher's were finished killing winter cattle early June and had extra cattle backed up for June/July due to the March pay promise. At a guess it cost us about 7million during the May-July period

In reality the BEAM scheme is only worth about 60 million and even at that most of it 3-4k finishers

Slava Ukrainii

It was interesting to read in the rag today about factory pricing. Factories where the protests were very active are getting 3.5/kg. Places where there was no pickets are getting 3.45.So much for the appreciation of loyal suppliers

Slava Ukrainii

It was interesting to read in the rag today about factory pricing. Factories where the protests were very active are getting 3.5/kg. Places where there was no pickets are getting 3.45.So much for the appreciation of loyal suppliers

Who’d ever have thunk factories appreciate such tactics??? Tis horrible but all they understand is dog-eat-dog

Where do you see that?

Base price wrote: »
    Where do you see that?

In the factory prices page and I quote

steers are trading at 3.5/kg, with some plants that were unaffected by the protests continuing to purchase at a base of 3.45/kg

Talking to a lad near one and he said it was true.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

In the factory prices page and I quote

steers are trading at 3.5/kg, with some plants that were unaffected by the protests continuing to purchase at a base of 3.45/kg

Talking to a lad near one and he said it was true.
    Ah, don't believe everything that's printed.

We got 3.50 for a few that we brought that were going overage on Tuesday from a factory that wasn't blockaded.

Advertisement