Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shakedown at Dublin airport, Circle-K / McDonald's

Options
  • 15-06-2019 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My brother in law and the family came into dublin airport yesterday (moving back to Ireland!) and in the jigs and reels a bag got left at dublin airport. Had to drive him 2 hours back to Dublin airport today to get the bag.

After I dropped him at Terminal 2 I made my way over to the McDonalds on the airport campus. Plan was to get two cans of Monster and two scratch cards (an in-joke from our days driving long distance in the states) and two burgers from McDonalds.

Stopped at McDonalds and walked to the Circle-K 20 metres away to get the Monster first (made sense to get hot food second given I didn't know how long he was going to be). Did glance at the signs saying they were for customers only which was fine - i was getting food. Was approx 60 to 100 seconds in CircleK and walked back towards McDonalds. I glanced over at my car and to my ****ing astonishment it was clamped.

Cue one of the most enraging experiences I have ever had as two smug clampers informed me that the McDonalds car park was only for customers. They dismissed my attempts to say I was going into McDonalds and said that the small signs made it 'clear'. So they sit on their bonnets waiting to clamp people instantly.

The signs were tiny, half way up poles. In the third paragraph they said that if people 'left the site' they would be clamped. Even if I had read that I would have assumed that meant people trying to use the mcdonalds car park who were going to the airport. There was no mention of CircleK

So I am now 125euro down because I chose to get the two f**king cans of drink first before getting the burgers.

This is such sharp practice. I appealed to the clampers and said I was only two mins to which the guy smugly replied 'it was less than that'. The other guy said they'd done 'loads of people today'.

Is there any way to appeal this or am I wasting my time? I've been clamped before for forgetting to renew my parking at the train station which was upsetting but my fault etc. but never anything like this.

Absolutely gutted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭This is it

You say it's mentioned on the sign that if you leave the site you will be clamped. Incredibly harsh in your situation but I don't think you have a leg to stand on unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the daft thing is that it is often easier to park at the circleK than the McDs.

I didn't actually know there was a distinction between the parking areas.
    the world's full of b'stards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

What about the scratch cards? Did you get them? Any winners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Why didn't you then go into McDonalds and say your car clamped and you being a customer buying burgers in their premises

Why didn't you then go into McDonalds and say your car clamped and you being a customer buying burgers in their premises

The receipt you then get from McDonalds for burger purchases should qualify you for use of their car park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

The receipt you then get from McDonalds for burger purchases should qualify you for use of their car park

Rightly or wrongly, the clampers had already seen him ‘leave the site’, so can’t see how it would have made a difference.

Rightly or wrongly, the clampers had already seen him ‘leave the site’, so can’t see how it would have made a difference.
    If he didn't actually go into McDonalds,then its a closed case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

A fiver actually :cool:

So I'm only down 120 euro.

Yeah :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Isambard wrote: »
    the daft thing is that it is often easier to park at the circleK than the McDs.

I didn't actually know there was a distinction between the parking areas.
    the world's full of b'stards

Well that's the thing - I could have parked in the Circle f**king K. But I was going to f**king McDonalds.

This is utter sharp practise lads. Any reasonable person interpreting 'leaving the site' would take it as leaving it for a few mins. 20 metres for 60 seconds and on the way back to make a purchase is shocking ****.

And they were truly hateful about it. They were absolutely loving it.

The response to me saying 'it was two minutes' and the guy smirking back and saying 'oh it was less than that..'.

Honestly I'm fuming. Prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't blame you for being upset.
    That's what we get for allowing clamping on private land that is openly inviting the public in.
    Thanks for the warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

I only watched a video about this exact scenario in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I presume its McDonalds who invite them in? You could always appeal to them, as publically as you can via social media, and hope for the best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

If you were able to take it off in front of them without damaging it, there's nothing they could have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi folks,

My brother in law and the family came into dublin airport yesterday (moving back to Ireland!) and in the jigs and reels a bag got left at dublin airport. Had to drive him 2 hours back to Dublin airport today to get the bag.

After I dropped him at Terminal 2 I made my way over to the McDonalds on the airport campus. Plan was to get two cans of Monster and two scratch cards (an in-joke from our days driving long distance in the states) and two burgers from McDonalds.

Stopped at McDonalds and walked to the Circle-K 20 metres away to get the Monster first (made sense to get hot food second given I didn't know how long he was going to be). Did glance at the signs saying they were for customers only which was fine - i was getting food. Was approx 60 to 100 seconds in CircleK and walked back towards McDonalds. I glanced over at my car and to my ****ing astonishment it was clamped.

Cue one of the most enraging experiences I have ever had as two smug clampers informed me that the McDonalds car park was only for customers. They dismissed my attempts to say I was going into McDonalds and said that the small signs made it 'clear'. So they sit on their bonnets waiting to clamp people instantly.

The signs were tiny, half way up poles. In the third paragraph they said that if people 'left the site' they would be clamped. Even if I had read that I would have assumed that meant people trying to use the mcdonalds car park who were going to the airport. There was no mention of CircleK

So I am now 125euro down because I chose to get the two f**king cans of drink first before getting the burgers.

This is such sharp practice. I appealed to the clampers and said I was only two mins to which the guy smugly replied 'it was less than that'. The other guy said they'd done 'loads of people today'.

Is there any way to appeal this or am I wasting my time? I've been clamped before for forgetting to renew my parking at the train station which was upsetting but my fault etc. but never anything like this.

Absolutely gutted.
    If its not Dublin City council, I know people that have snipped the clamp off with a grinder or bolt crops and phoned up the company telling them you found the clamp beside your car when you got back and drive home. They will send u letters, ignore them. Too expensive to bring you to court so they forget about it. Dublin City council ones you can't do this. Terrible carry on altogether from these guys, sitting there watching you leave and pouncing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They were absolutely loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

On a serious note - take to MaccyD's social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In fairness, if it was that easy everyone who got clamped would just go in after and buy a €1 hamburger to get unclamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

To be honest I don't think you have a leg to stand on here OP.

I do believe your story but if anyone returns back to their car and sees a clamp it's easy for anyone to say they're going into McDonalds then to get out of paying the clamping fee and just get something from the euro menu instead.

Just gonna have to chalk this one up to experience

Buy 5 more scratch cards with the fiver. Repeat with winnings until you hit the top prize. Winner winner (Mc) chicken (sandwich) dinner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

I'd have offered them a cash bribe to see what they'd do. Surely they'd take a few Bob and say nothing.. on second thoughts they probably punch the reg into a machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

I think you need to deduct the cost of the two scratchcards....

V bad luck in the clamping. No need for it.

Deminiman wrote: »
    I'd have offered them a cash bribe to see what they'd do. Surely they'd take a few Bob and say nothing.. on second thoughts they probably punch the reg into a machine.

Cant see clamping companies not having it logged.

Picture the management meeting.
    "Jesus lads, it's been 6 months and not 1 car clamped, maybe everyone has learned how to park properly at last"

Meanwhile all the lads in the Vans are going home with about 2 grand in cash a day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Firstly, ya brotha should have to fork out a seeds. Dung fool left his satchel bag up the birdport. Hit him for a few dead presidents when you get sthateside... Know what I'm saying cuz?

Secondly the birdieport aint no place to pump and dump. The old fav was to get it parked up in tha Maldron - im talking long term cuz, then get a hommie to drive up near the entrance take a new ticket and pass that Willy Wonka on to me...zoom, I'd be flashing quans down that Swords Pavillion for real cuz. Tiz been rumbled since 2015... McDougals going down the path of protecting their shizzle yo!

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Firstly, ya brotha should have to fork out a seeds. Dung fool left his satchel bag up the birdport. Hit him for a few dead presidents when you get sthateside... Know what I'm saying cuz?

Secondly the birdieport aint no place to pump and dump. The old fav was to get it parked up in tha Maldron - im talking long term cuz, then get a hommie to drive up near the entrance take a new ticket and pass that Willy Wonka on to me...zoom, ide be down that Pavillion for real. Tiz been rumbled since 2015... McDougals going down the path of protecting their shizzle yo!

Can we try that in english this time please?

In fairness, if it was that easy everyone who got clamped would just go in after and buy a €1 hamburger to get unclamped.

My point is if they went into McDonalds and purchased food,then they have the right to come back to their car without a clamp being attached to it

My point is if they went into McDonalds and purchased food,then they have the right to come back to their car without a clamp being attached to it

But they didn't do it first, personally I think the clamper was right here.

All the clamper knows when they arrived is that a car parked and two people left the car to go somewhere other than McDonalds

He went into shop,purchased something there and came back to his car but I sympathise with him on seeing his car clamped,the McDonalds burgers wouldn't be his concern there and then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Yeah apparently he won €125 yo yo's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

But your point is irrelevant as those who parked and had no intention of going to McDonald's could just make a purchase after being clamped to escape the unclamping fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Can we try that in english this time please?

Dang, chill cuz... My hommie got flat-footed with a C-note Pony..... Sympathize.... .

Advertisement