Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas baking/cooking thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seen this on a Facebook group tonight too nice not to share.

My first #Christmasrecipe one if the easiest and one of favourites

BAILEYS CHOCOLATE FUDGE

How about something BAILEYS & FUDGY for the weekend.

BAILEYS CHOCOLATE FUDGE
    - SO DELICIOUS.. You have to try it.. just 5 INGREDIENTS!!!!!!!

******RECIPE*****
    600G MILK OR DARK CHOCOLATE - ~ (don’t use cooking choc, I used 5-6 bars of normal Tesco own brand milk chocolate)
    1 x 375g tin condensed milk
    Pinch salt
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    100ml Baileys

Line a 7” square tin with baking paper
    1. Break up the chocolate and melt slowly in a pot, add in the condensed milk and stir gently to melt together.
    2. Add in the vanilla extract, salt and the Baileys and stir to combine.
    3. Pour into prepared tin and leave in the fridge to set for 2 hours. Cut into small pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

washiskin wrote: »
    Just looking through Nigel Slater's The Christmas Chronicles at the moment.....he has a recipe for mascarpone mince pies. Can't wait to try them.

Last years? or does he have a new book?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Loughc wrote: »

BAILEYS CHOCOLATE FUDGE

BAILEYS CHOCOLATE FUDGE

******RECIPE*****
    600G MILK OR DARK CHOCOLATE - ~ (don’t use cooking choc, I used 5-6 bars of normal Tesco own brand milk chocolate)
    Pinch salt
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    100ml Baileys

1. Break up the chocolate and melt slowly in a pot, add in the condensed milk and stir gently to melt together.
    3. Pour into prepared tin and leave in the fridge to set for 2 hours. Cut into small pieces

You're killing me Loughc! That sounds amazing! I'm trying to be good and think of the wedding dress but man, it's hard. I love fudge! Must not make until nearer Chrismtas or it will be Operation "Let the dress out" :D :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CheerLouth wrote: »
    You're killing me Loughc! That sounds amazing! I'm trying to be good and think of the wedding dress but man, it's hard. I love fudge! Must not make until nearer Chrismtas or it will be Operation "Let the dress out" :D :pac:

When's the wedding?

When's the wedding?

Not until July but I'm a bridesmaid for my cousin Christmas week so striving not to be the fat bridesmaid! It's a struggle :(

• Advertisement

Not until July but I'm a bridesmaid for my cousin Christmas week so striving not to be the fat bridesmaid! It's a struggle :(

Ah no! Fecking cousins!! I had a wedding to attend on the 28th of December previously the suit was bet onto me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was uninvited to a Christmas wedding once and I was delighted. :D Ain't nobody got time for trying to fit into a dress at Christmas, and it's frowned upon to wear slippers to a wedding.

I think the chances of me being uninvited are slim tbh. She has a dress bought for me....there is no escape :pac:

Although it will be a great day!

Christmas Puddings are on! :D

I'm on a roll this year!

I'm on a roll this year!

Which is ironic as I am a Christmas Pudding this year and if you tip me over then I'm on a roll.... :pac: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm on a roll this year!
    Was just thinking about them this morning - my mother has always done them, but due to an accident earlier in the year she doesn't have full use of her right arm, so I don't really want her moving big pots of boiling water around.  So now I have to diplomatically offer to do them myself. 
    Do you still do boil them?  I know someone told me last year they microwave them.......but I'm sceptical about that.   Has anyone here ever done that?

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Was just thinking about them this morning - my mother has always done them, but due to an accident earlier in the year she doesn't have full use of her right arm, so I don't really want her moving big pots of boiling water around.  So now I have to diplomatically offer to do them myself. 
    Do you still do boil them?  I know someone told me last year they microwave them.......but I'm sceptical about that.   Has anyone here ever done that?

You could microwave them to reheat only. They need hours of boiling to cook properly.

If worried about heavy pots of water, then try this. Bring kettle of water to boil. Put pudding in a roomy pot on ring. Pour boiling water in beside bowl to at least half way. Cover with tight fitting lid and simmer gently for 3 to 4 hours. If you’ve got the heat right, you shouldn’t need top up. Once cooking time is done just turn heat off. Remove pudding once water is cool enough to safely do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Cheerlouth if you need anyone to sample tasting them I will happily oblige

Anyone making puddings for the first time?

Mine have been boiling away merrily since 10am. They'll be done around half three/fourish. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I (think) I am....I say every year I.l make one, and never get round to it. I said earlier on this thread that I was going
    to make one, which has put pressure on me to fulfill. (I.v put the pressure on myself..not you elves....)

Bought the ingredients for Cakes and Puds this morning, so I.l prob mix them tomorrow. I.v often mixed the fruit,
    apples/oranges, whiskey and spices in a bowl, and left them for up to 2 weeks, before I got chancce to bake.
    Ingredients marinade nicely....

I (think) I am....I say every year I.l make one, and never get round to it. I said earlier on this thread that I was going
    to make one, which has put pressure on me to fulfill. (I.v put the pressure on myself..not you elves....)

Bought the ingredients for Cakes and Puds this morning, so I.l prob mix them tomorrow. I.v often mixed the fruit,
    apples/oranges, whiskey and spices in a bowl, and left them for up to 2 weeks, before I got chancce to bake.
    Ingredients marinade nicely....

While that fruit is marinading, steal some to use in a bread and butter pud. DIVINE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Was just thinking about them this morning - my mother has always done them, but due to an accident earlier in the year she doesn't have full use of her right arm, so I don't really want her moving big pots of boiling water around. So now I have to diplomatically offer to do them myself.
    Do you still do boil them? I know someone told me last year they microwave them.......but I'm sceptical about that. Has anyone here ever done that?

We always cooked ours in a pressure cooker, so if you have one you're comfortable using, it's a quick and tidy option.

Secret alternative: Aldi's ordinary pudding, I think they cost about 4.99 for the big one, is really really good. It's rich and fruity and deeelicious!

They're done!

They're done!

Wowsers. Can we come over now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

It’s looks fab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Wow CheerLouth, it looks gorgeous, very even....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's gorgeous looking! :)

Are you going to put it back in it's pudding bowl for storage?

Thanks guys! :D
    Posy wrote: »
    Are you going to put it back in it's pudding bowl for storage?

No, I wrapped them in two layers of greaseproof and then tinfoil

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Hi everyone, I was in home-store and more at the weekend and picked up some Christmas sprinkles half price. I can't find a link to them on the website but they're little candy cane sprinkles and holly's. I think they were €1.50. I bought a few packs of them for making biscuits for the tree. I can post a photo of them later if anyone is interested!

ace_irl wrote: »
    I can post a photo of them later if anyone is interested!

Yes please! :)

I can't wait to do some Christmas Baking this year.

Yes please! :)

I can't wait to do some Christmas Baking this year.

Perfect! I'll do that tonight when I'm home. I think most of their baking stuff is on sale at the moment. I might need to go get more!

Alrighty, I’ve attached a picture of the sprinkles I picked up in Home store and more. They also had little ginger bread ones that I’m gonna get at the weekend. They’re so cute I nearly don’t want to use them!

ace_irl wrote: »
    Alrighty, I’ve attached a picture of the sprinkles I picked up in Home store and more. They also had little ginger bread ones that I’m gonna get at the weekend. They’re so cute I nearly don’t want to use them!

They’re adorable. Perfect festive toppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

BAILEYS CHOCOLATE FUDGE

BAILEYS CHOCOLATE FUDGE

******RECIPE*****
    Pinch salt
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    100ml Baileys

Trying this tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I baked the Christmas cake on Monday night using one of my mother’s recipes. It’s got pineapple and almonds in it, so is not as dark as your traditional cake, but it’s delicious. I’ve baptised the cake with whiskey and I’ll wrap it up tight this evening.

I probably won’t ice it. I think I’ll make marzipan, cover the cake, glaze it and then toast it lightly to get a bit of colour. I loathe shop bought marzipan and fondant icing and I honestly won’t eat a cake that uses them. If I was to ice the cake, I’d use classic royal icing.

Advertisement