Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mel and the 180km Ring of Kerry

Options
  • 07-06-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'll admit I'm a complete couch potato and massively overweight:eek::( I purchased a bike about 6 weeks ago through the ride to work scheme with the idea to get fit and loose some weight along the way, but since getting the bike it hadn't ventured much futher than the kitchen. I decided if I didn't start riding it soon, I never would and so headed out for my first proper ride on Sunday which i actually enjoyed more than i expected.

I find I work better when i set myself a goal and when I let everyone know about this goal so then there's no backing out! So I'm going to ride in the 50km Kelly Classic at the end of August. I realise for just about everyone here that that would be considered a walk in the park but for me it will be a big deal to acheive :D

My bike is a ladies Viking hybrid 'versailles'. I've no idea if it's a decent bike or not, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on a bike, not knowing how much i would use it.

So...ride 1: 07/06/11
    Honestly, if I hadn't commited to doing this ride in August, I wouldn't have gone for a ride tonight. It was really windy and I would have used that as an excuse:o, but i need to practice riding in the wind as if it's windy on the day of the 50km I still have to do it. So I'm proud to say I got out and did:
    12.06km in 56min. Avg speed 12. 95km

Yes I'm a real slow poke but we all need to start somewhere. It was mostly pretty flat but with a few small hills and one got the better of me that came straight after another hill and I only made it half way up. However that's now just another small goal to conquer and I'm sure in a few weeks I won't even notice that hill!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Go for it. Having a realistic goal like this will help

You'll probably be surprised at how quickly you can increase the distance you do, and speed at which you do it. Just make sure you get out regularly - maybe a couple of times a week to start off with, and build from there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Keep it up! Looking forward to reading your 50k report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The Kelly 50 is really fairly flat, with one moderate hill, so you should have plenty of time over the next 10-12 weeks to train for it and build up endurance - its good goal in itself. If you get up to 35-40k in a single spin, you'll manage the 50k on the day.

I admire you for getting out and cycling in that wind - when you are new to it and will undoubtedly have plenty of reasons not to do so, getting out on the bike on your own was a triumph !

DO set goals - a little at a time. Give yourself every chance to accomplish them by ensuring that the goal in realistic for your fitness level, and build slowly.
    DO allow yourself to have an 'off' day - you don't need to add guilt to your workload
    DONT have too high an expectation of how much weight cycling is likely to shed. You will need to be more careful about diet and what to eat before/during/after a spin and that will contribute to a 'better' diet but cycling wont shed 1000s of calories per ride at the level you are likely to be at.

Well done on a good start!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

All the best mel.b, I started in a similar position as yourself around this time last year. As Beasty says above, if you stick with it 2-3 times a week you will see an improvement almost everytime you go out. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Sorry dont want to hijack the thread but just wondering how are people managed for the 50km. Is it a free for all at the start line or do people set off in groups?

Sorry if its a stupid question, new enough to cycle for exercise and very much at an entry level standard so never went on a group before. Just saw the link on the other thread and it looked like something I could try for. Currently averaging about 30km in about 1hr 30mins on a few solo spins so hoping to build on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks for the encouragment everyone :) Inquitus, I have just read your thread and you are amazing. If i manage to even acheive half of that (cycling and weight wise) in the next 12months I will be rapt.

I've read a couple of threads tht mention cycling isn't the best for weight loss which surprised me. Is it because it isn't a high impact activity like running would be?

So I officially signed up the SK 50km today and then emailed all my workmates to let them know and to bug them so they can sponser me. I figure if I'm taking their money (well, donating it to Down Syndrome Ireland) then there really is no way I can back out:P

I managed another ride tonight and the weather was just great for it - not too windy and not too hot. A couple of longer hills but more of a gradual incline compared to Tues night. If I put my head down and don't look at what's coming then I'm ok!
    Ride 2:
    16.33km in 1hour 10min.

I was really aiming for 15km and watching the computer on my bike that is what I did. However mapmyride on my phone says 16.33 so I'm taking it!! If I'd known though I was over the 15km mark I wouldnt have written down all the cul-de-sacs in my estate to ensure that I made the 15km mark before reaching home:rolleyes:

My bum is a bit numb so I'm off to buy some cycling shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

mel.b wrote: »
    I've read a couple of threads tht mention cycling isn't the best for weight loss which surprised me. Is it because it isn't a high impact activity like running would be?

It's not bad though either, I've lost 4kg or so since the start of the year and I still drink and eat as much crisps as I want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Well done Mel B - your doing great. The 50km will be no bother to ya! Did ye ever come out with us at Sportif Waterford? You'd find that cycling in a group makes the km fly by and brings up your speed. I do solo and group - being in a group is great for the days when you don't feel like going!

aquanaut wrote: »
    Well done Mel B - your doing great. The 50km will be no bother to ya! Did ye ever come out with us at Sportif Waterford? You'd find that cycling in a group makes the km fly by and brings up your speed. I do solo and group - being in a group is great for the days when you don't feel like going!

That wasn't me at Waterford - must be another Mel.b floating around...scary thought:eek:

I was up early on Sat morning for a very quick ride - just 6km. Was going to do further but it started to rain and I had a wedding later that day so decided to call it quits. Sunday was spent recovering from the wedding and yesterday I had a trip to the dentist so no riding for me.

Last week I let ll my workmates know about my plan to do the ride and they have all be so supportive and it was their encouragement yesterday and today that got me out for a ride tonight after work. 12.7km in 57min. It was mostly flat with one small hill towards the start which I managed in the granny gears. Towards the end I thought i was going along pretty well (for me anyway) and then I was overtaken by a guy going for a run:o I'll try and console myself by thinking that he saw me as a challenge and had to sprint to past me!

I've also motivated another of the girls I work with to also do the SK 50km so that is great. We are going to get together and do some rides together which should be fun.

I've been really inspired by all the reports from the people who did the WW100/200 on Sunday in that absolutely miserable weather - thinking of the suffering it sounds like you all went through got me up my little hill tonight without having to push:D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

Hi Mel B, well done on the hardest part, getting up and going!.... I am 3 stone over weight and gave up fags in January. have 5 kids and i am really beginning to love escaping on the bike............... I feel I could cycle all day on the flat and the hills are hard but I am getting up them, (not hills really only inclines but they are hills to me haha) Still struggling with diet part of all this so havent lost any weight yet but I am pretty certain my heart and lungs are working better:). I will keep going and I will do the SK 90km............determination is a great weapon! Keep it up and hope to meet up with you in Dungarvan;)

• Advertisement

Managed to clock up 58.2km this week and also managed my first 20km cycle :)

Saturdays ride was around the back roads, 21.7km in about 2hours. The last 3km was terrible - back onto a main road into a strong head wind. While the road was pretty flat, the wind was so strong I had to have my bike in the lowest gear just to make sure I was getting somewhere. Today was a quick ride around town - 10.85km in 48min.

I seriously need to get a bit faster though...based on yesterdays ride, the 50km is going to take me close to 5hrs:eek: I assume I will pick up a bit of speed as I get fitter and continue to cycle regularly? Obviously loosing weight will help as well :o

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I assume I will pick up a bit of speed as I get fitter and continue to cycle regularly? Obviously loosing weight will help as well :o
    Yes and Yes

Another week done and 65km clocked in total including my longest ride so far of 25km in 1hr 45min. I did this with a friend who is also going to do the SK 50km with me. It really does make a difference when you have someone there with you, just to chat to and we are also a similiar speed (aka slow:p).

I'm so glad I started this log and also a fb group (mel's on the road to 50km if anyones interested) as it was the motivation and support that I had gotten so far from everyone there and at work also that got me out on a ride earlier in the week. If I'd hadn't I would have probably given up already:o

I can feel I'm already getting fitter and it is getting easier which is great. The padded shorts help as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

Hey, well done u! have asked to join FB group. just to let you know that I am now at the stage where 36km seems like nothing.................... done it this morning and its not long enough of a spin anymore. will head out in a while for same again or maybe longer. keep it going, in no time you will be doing 35km and thinking, jeez I need to do more............ well done again, keep it goint:)

I had a really good week on the bike this week :) I can feel now that I'm getting better and I defeated my 'nemesis' hill as well (when I've done it before I've had to get off and push) :cool: I had great motivation to go out for all my rides this week and was planning the routes each night. I did get slightly lost on one ride but I didn't actually realise it until I ended up somewhere completely unexpected:o Three rides of 20km + plus a shorter ride so am delighted and did 78km for the week.

I've been reading the thread about the Ring of Kerry and I think I've got a goal to aim for for next year now:D

An interesting week on the bike this week. Inquitus sent me some of his HTFU pills on Tues night when i was being a complete wimp and unmotivated. Those pills did the trick though:p and I got out for a 26km ride, the highlight of which was scaring a herd of sheep that a family were moving down a country. The sheep took one look at me on the bike and bolted into the nearby trees and paddock...I felt kinda bad for the family and I don't want to think about how long it took them to round up their sheep again!

I then normally get a ride in on Thursday night but I didn't this week. No number of pills or kicks up the bum was going to get me out in the rain on Thursday.

Making up for my lack of a ride on Thursday I headed out on Friday for my longest ride to date of 34km in 2hr 39min. I was really concentrating on just getting the distanced covered, rather than trying to do it at a decent (for me!) speed. Even though I'm still a real slow poke on the bike (less than 15km/h) I can feel myself getting better with every ride.

Today then I headed out to a friend's place who is going to do the SK 50km with me. We got caught in a downpour which was not fun and when added to all the hills that are around her place, I found it a challenging ride, even though it was short - 17.9km, 1hr 34min...It took so long 'cos I was like a tortoise on the hills and even had to get off and push up a particulary steep hill :o. Coming off the long ride the day before though I was still happy enough with it.

Total for the week: 79km

A great week on the bike this week and I cracked 100km for the week for the first time:D (105.8km actually)

Monday was a 35km ride along some pretty bumpy, dodgy roads in Clare but was a mostly flat ride, except for one hill, where with the perfect timing of all salesmen I got a call from Vodafone. It ws the perfect excuse to get off an push for a while;)

Tuesday was a quick spin - just 11km around Ennis. Thursday was a longer ride with a small group of other people, starting in Kilnaboy, going through the Burren and Corofin - it was a lovely ride and such a great night for it - 23km and again no great hills.

Saturday I was at a hen's do and as part of that we road along the green trail from Newport to Mulranny and then I rode back again equally 36km all up. That is a great ride; it's so scenic and peaceful and I highly recommend it. One part of the path appears to have been washed away somewhat and is very rough - I think they will need to asphalt this section as I can see it happening every winter. Apparently the trail is open all the way from Westport to Achill now so I'm really keen to do that one weekend now - start in Westport, spend the night in Achill and then back again the next day. We meet a family on the trail who were doing exactly that. They had a little boy with them - he must have been about 6 on a little bmx bike...his legs were going round and round. Fair play to him though:) Funniest sight though was a family towing a baby buggy - riding past looking into the buggy we didn't see a baby but a beautiful golden retreiver along for the ride - that must be the most spoilt lazy golden retreiver in all of Ireland!

To top of all the cycling I then had my first attempt at Croagh Patrick today. With everyone recovering from the hen do the night before it was a (very) late start and as a result we only went as far as the saddle and to be honest that was far enough for me! However I can feel the effect that the cycling is having on my general fitness levels - I had planned to do Croagh Patrick in May (before I started riding) and now I realise there is no way that I would have been to make it even half the way to the saddle.

I'm looking forward to this week and trying to increase my distance a little again - only just over 4 weeks now till the Sean Kelly!

I'm really starting to enjoy this cycling gig now :)

I got out for four rides this week and managed 117.25km for the week including my longest ride of 44.29 km so I'm feeling confident about the Sean Kelly 50km which is in 28 days.

My monthly summary...
    1) Longest ride: 44.29km
    2) Distance for the month: 421.49km
    3) Most distance in a week: 117.25km
    4) Fastest average speed: 17.11km / hr

I'm still very slow but I'm happy that on my last two rides which have been long rides for me (32km and 44km) I have been able to average almost 17km / hr so I am getting faster as I was around 12 km / hr 7 weeks ago with shorter rides.

I've also lost 5kg which is great:D I haven't made too many changes to my diet so far. The biggest change has been reducing my soft drink intake by about 90% and now when i do have a soft drink it is diet. I also used to have a chocolate bar at lunch time and have reduced that to something like a milky way bar instead. Next step is to cut that out completely.

Well I had a really slack week just after my last entry and only did 37km, but I got back on the bike this week just gone and managed a total of 131km for the week including my longest spin of 54km. My average speed is still slooooow (around 17km / hour is good for me!) but this is going to be case while I am still unfit, ****e at hills, overweight and have a slow heavy bike. As long as I can make it around though I'm happy.

I'm also looking at doing a cycling holiday to Morocco for Christmas. I figured that with the Sean Kelly nearly here, I needed a new goal to keep me motivated in the short term, especially when the days start to get shorter and colder, so a cycling holiday in the sun sounds like it will do the trick:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've also lost 5kg which is great:D I haven't made too many changes to my diet so far. The biggest change has been reducing my soft drink intake by about 90% and now when i do have a soft drink it is diet. I also used to have a chocolate bar at lunch time and have reduced that to something like a milky way bar instead. Next step is to cut that out completely.

Good on ya, nice going. Two comments:

1. Choose a lower gear than you would normally and pedal faster. Higher cadence (pedalling speed) means less effort per stroke and generally allows you to go faster. It also means you'll find the hills easier.

2. Drink plenty of water when you're out on a spin and try substituting fizzy water for your soft drinks in general. Much better for you than diet drinks and probably even more refreshing...

• Advertisement

Thanks cdaly :) I'll give it a go with the lower gears on my next spin. Won't be much help going up the hills though cos most of the time I'm still grinding away in the granny gear. As horrible as they are I know the only way to get better at hills is to do more more hills:(

Im really not drinking much diet soft drink now either - leaves a horrible after taste in my mouth. Am instead drinking fruit dilute which is much nicer.

Went and registered today - really looking foward to tomorrow and am hoping the weather gods will shine down on us.

When i started this log, i really didn't think i would be able to acheive this goal. Since i started in June i have ridden 972km and lost 7kg:D I'm slowly getting faster too - came so close to breaking 20km/hr on a cycle this week (and it was a 40km cycle, not a short one either!)

Good luck to everyone who is participating tomorrow.

Mel.b

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Went and registered today - really looking foward to tomorrow and am hoping the weather gods will shine down on us.

When i started this log, i really didn't think i would be able to acheive this goal. Since i started in June i have ridden 972km and lost 7kg:D I'm slowly getting faster too - came so close to breaking 20km/hr on a cycle this week (and it was a 40km cycle, not a short one either!)

Good luck to everyone who is participating tomorrow.

Mel.b

Well done in all your achievements so far, and best of luck tomorrow Mel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Best of luck today :)

WooHoo...what a fantastic day:D The weather was perfect (maybe a touch windy), the volunteers were fantastic and the cycle was just great fun. When I set out on this journey in early June I had no idea what to expect or what I could acheive. In the past few weeks I was hoping I would come home in under 3hrs and I did it today in 2hrs and 37min:cool:

I'm not sure what my next goal will be. I won't be getting much cycling in over the next month as I've got family visiting and we are travelling around Europe. However we are visiting Annecy in France and there is a 40km circuit around the lake there which I believe was used for a time trial there in the Tour de France a few years ago. I plan on putting mum onto a boat for a tour of the lake while I go and cycle it:) The Christmas trip to Morocco I wanted to do has been cancelled by the company:( so I'll have to find something else. In the new year I'll look at upgrading to a road bike and we were making jokes today about tackling the 160km next year:eek:

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement - it really helped motivate and keep me going.

Cheer,
    mel.b

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

In the new year I'll look at upgrading to a road bike and we were making jokes today about tackling the 160km next year:eek:

That's not a joke! It's a goal!

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lynnyloo

Well done Mel B, Ive been following your thread and was in the same boat as you.( I couldnt even be bothered walking around the Park, never mind cycling 50km. I was also on my first spin yesterday and every now and again I was wondering how you were getting on. I changed from a mountain bike to a road bike this year. Its a massive difference but in a good way.We were chatting to one of the girls involved with Women on Wheels after the spin, we discussed getting a group together early next year to start training for the 90km. Ill keep you posted if I hear anything further. Congrats on your achievement. It defo feels great to come over that finish line.

I went for my first spin tonight since the SK 50km:) I had such a big break because my mum arrived from Australia 2 days after the SK and we were travelling around Ireland and then Europe so I really had no chance to get out and do any cycling.

While I haven't done any cycling in the past 6 weeks or so, I tried to make sure while I was on holidays to at least get a bit of exercise in - I tried to always take the stairs in the hotel, went for a couple of hikes etc. It must have paid off because I lost another 2kg while on holidays, making it 9kg in all now:D For the first time since starting cycling it was on holidays that I really noticed the improvement in my fitness - dragging heavy suitcases through the streets was no bother, I was able to climb the 482 steps to the Duomo in Florence etc without feeling like I was going to die. Seeing those improvements and changes is enough motivation to keep up with the cycling.

Tonights cycle was just as easy 14km - was a bit dissapointed as I thought the route that I was doing was 20km, but anyway. I managed it in 52min, average speed was 16.07km so not too much slower than what I was doing just before the SK. I also got a turbo trainer tonight, so I'll see how that goes on those wet and windy nights.

I managed to get out for 2 30km rides over the weekend, so was happy with that. I also got my turbo trainer set up tonight and did a 45min spin while watching an episode of the Amazing Race that I downloaded to my ipad. I had planned to do longer and had another show lined up to watch, however the volume on that show wasn't really loud enough to hear over the whirring of the turbo. I think the turbo will work out well to use over the winter when the weather is too miserable to get out for a ride.

• Advertisement

I've been sitting looking at my bike for the past couple of weeks, thinking I really need to start riding it again. For various reasons (holidays, injury and then laziness being the main ones!) I haven't really ridden much at all since the Sean Kelly at the end of August.

There are a number of sportives I'd really like to do this year, but I have decided to make my main goal the Ring of Kerry cycle. It's long, but from what I have read it is not as hard as some of the other sportives and it's in a beautiful part of the country so hopefully the scenery will distract me when the pain kicks in!

I've once again got my facebook group going, so feel free to follow me therehttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/groups/207464475957007/, however I will also continue to update here, but not as often as I will the fb group.

Hopefully I'll also be buying a new bike sometime in the next couple of months. I've seen a Fuji and a Cannondale that I like the look of...but thats purely because they are 'pretty' bikes - I've got no idea if the specs of them are any good!!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/finest-10-2011-womens-road-bike-ec024656

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-7-sora-triple-2012-womens-road-bike-ec031482

I really love the look of the BMC Sparkle (what a name for a bike!) 2010 model, but it's not available any more...http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/sparkle-sp01-2010-womens-road-bike-ec021968

and the 2011 model isn't as pretty (plus it's more than I want to spend:()

So wish me luck once again!

Advertisement