Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Fat Couch Potato to who knows where

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Investments this week:

Shimano R087 Road Shoes
    Shimano Road Pedals
    2 x Planet X discounted dodgy stock SS Jerseys
    1 x Planet X discounted dodgy stock Roubaix Bib Tights
    Ultegra 6600 Shifters off Cycling Adverts from RAAM

Road Time:

Tues: 37km Swords to Donaghmede and back to nab the shifters
    Weds: 30km Swords > Nags Head > Ballyboughal > Swords
    Fri: 36km Swords > Ashbourne > Airport > Swords
    Sun: 60km Kare Tour de Foothills

Really enjoyed the Kare TDF today, rode out of my skin, finished the 50km in the first handful of people, and felt like Spartacus with the wind behind me on the downslope from Blessington to Naas cranking it out in the big ring. Could have taken on the 100km I am pretty sure now, but plenty more events to test myself out on these coming months. Added bonus of meeting plenty of boardsies.

Onwards and upwards! Still alot of hard grind to be done before I can take on the Kelly Comeragh 160 later this year, but definitely on track.

Annual total: 648km
    Weekly Total: 163km

The week so far!

Monday:
    17km Swords > Malahide > Swords - gentle cycle with the missus
    55km Swords > Lusk > Rush > Skerries > Balbriggan > Naul Hill > Ballyboughal > Swords - Proper cycle

Tues:
    24km Swords > Malahide > Portmarnock > Swords - gentle cycle with the missus
    40km Swords > Skerries > Swords - Proper cycle

Weds:
    10km Commute

Thurs:
    10km Commute
    24km Swords > Ashbourne > Swords

Annual total: 828km
    Weekly Total (1st 4 days): 180km

Highlight tonight, averaged 30.7kph over 24km from Swords to Ashbourne along the Rathbeal Road, round the roundabout, and back again. Could have kept it going for another 6k I am pretty sure to average 30kph for an hour, which will be an aim in the next week or so.

That aside, I am clocking up the miles in the great weather! Looking towards doing some 100km+ events in the next month or so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Hi Inquitus - I take my hat off to ya! Just read you whole log. Your doing amazing and really sticking with it. Im only properly cycling last 3 months and feeling a bit dishearted after a bad week (being dropped 10km into a 40km) but this log is truelly inspirational. I hope I can match your speeds and distances some time. Thanks

(btw - wasnt dropped in a bad way - everyone else was training for mt leinster where as my average speed is 21kmph but upped that night to 24)

Pride comes before a fall being dropped!

I went to meet up with the Swords CC 8.30 Spin this morning. Lovely friendly and helpful bunch of people. One of them uttered some sage words of advice, "Just hang out at the back, you don't have to do a turn at the front!" Now if only I had heeded those words!

A bit of hubris, alot of noobness, and a bit of wanting to see how'd I'd get on doing a turn meant I made my way up to the front via a long series of up and overs only to be in the box seat just as we turned under the railway bridge to go up the hill out of Skerries facing into a howling breeze.

HR hit the red line as a foolishly soldiered on for a couple of km, no doubt slowing the group while I was at it, I shredded my legs before I gasped "How do I get off the front!". I moved over and then dropped back to the back, only managing to not be dropped via some encouragement from my fellow cyclists.

I hid at the back while my valiant team of domestiques did their best to keep me attached, but my legs were shredded and at any hint of an incline the lactic acid kicked in and so did the burning pain.

I managed to hold on as far as the final slope into Naul Village before being dropped for good. If one is going to be dropped, right outside the Naul Cafe is a pretty decent spot imo.

I'll join up with them again next week , and hide at the back for the duration. I think then I should hopefully be able to get round the 70km circuit.

It was a fun ride while it lasted and it's good to try and adapt to group riding with such a forgiving and helpful bunch. Alot of lessons learnt today which can only be a good thing!

In the end I did just shy of 60km door to door, and about 40km of the 70km circuit Swords CC were completing.

Weight: 88kg now

Fri:
    5km Commute
    33km Swords > Easy Howth > Portmarnock

Sat

58km Swords > Lusk > Skerries > Balbriggan > Naul > Ballyboughal > Swords

Annual total: 924km
    Weekly Total: 276km

A few questions for the cognoscenti among you. I am looking at a number of events coming up over the next month or so.

Viking Ride 100km - May 28th
    Maracycle 160km - June 25th
    Wicklow 100/200 - June 12th

Given the training info above to get an ideas of where I am at and what I am doing:

Is it worth going for the Wicklow 200? or should I stick with the 100? Aside from going over Howth the easy way every now and then, I am not getting any major hills in, beyond the rolling nature of the Naul.

Is the Maracycle (one way only) likely to be too much for me?

Is 3 events each a fortnight apart too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Inquitus wrote: »
    A few questions for the cognoscenti among you. I am looking at a number of events coming up over the next month or so.

Wicklow 100/200 - June 12th

Given the training info above to get an ideas of where I am at and what I am doing:

Is it worth going for the Wicklow 200? or should I stick with the 100? Aside from going over Howth the easy way every now and then, I am not getting any major hills in, beyond the rolling nature of the Naul.

Is the Maracycle (one way only) likely to be too much for me?

Is 3 events each a fortnight apart too much?

I would have thought the W200 might be too much too soon. If you haven't done a lot of sustained climbing (esp. longer climbs like what you'll get in the W200) it's probably better to go for the shorter distances initially & gradually build up. Not sure what sort of terrain is involved in the Viking Ride or Maracycle, but a good way of building up would be a flattish 100km followed by a hilly 100km (W100), followed by a longer event (say, 160km, terrain depends on how you found the climbing in the W100). I think a fortnight would be enough time to recover from each even if they do take a bit out of you.

Mon:
    53km Swords > Lusk > Rush > Skerries > Balbriggan > Naul > Ballyboughal > Swords

Tues:
    32km Swords > O'Connell Street > Swords

Thurs:
    45km Swords > Easy Howth > Swords

Sat:
    58.2km Swords > Lusk > Skerries > Naul > Garretstown > Oldtown > Swords

Went out again with the Swords CC 8.30am spin, got dropped at Garretstown this time, which is an improvement! Was fairly comfortable until we passed Naul Village, but then there were a couple of what seemed quite savage turns on the front, from a couple of guys, which spat me out the back just before Garretstown. Once gone there was no way back on so I headed for home.

No shame in being dropped :) and if I can continue to improve I should be able to get round soon enough, was on the last of the lumpy stuff that I was dropped today, a bit further and I would be home and hosed. Very much enjoying the group rides even if I am still not entirely comfortable with what I should be doing, or rather not be doing! Being out for a fast spin with these guys makes it alot easier to push myself I find, as I am either on the back or dropped!

Annual total: 1,112.2km
    Weekly Total: 188.2km

And up comes the first 1,000km of 2011 done in about 6 weeks or so, and in that time my fitness, speed and weight have all improved greatly. 87kg now and feeling confident about the Sportifs ahead. Have settled for the shorter distances for each, I will work toward the SKT Comeragh as my big challenge for the year. I also need to start getting the dart out into the mountains the odd time to try and get some semblance of climbing ability. I did blow my previous best up Howth out of the water this week, but easy Howth is easy in a hill context...

Wicklow 100km - June 12th

A relatively quiet week this week, the Winter vomiting bug swept through the household over the weekend, tagging myself and the 3 kids, though sparing my wife.

Mon
    83km Swords > Lusk > Rush > Skerries > Balbriggan > Droheda > Duleek > Ashbourne > Swords

Went out for a long bank holiday cycle in the fine weather, my "King of the Hill" tan is looking great! Averaged 26kph non stop which isn't bad at all, again a howling wind....I am getting sick of the wind now, it feels like it hasn't stopped blowing for the last 2 months.

Weds:
    30km Swords > Ballyboughal > Nags Head > Swords

Averaged 28kph round this 30km which takes in the Nags Head allbeit from the more gradual side. Definitely speeding up on the NCD hills at any rate!

Fri:

Same route, 25.5kph went up quick enough, got soaked on the descent, no appropriate clothing with me and a howling gale into my face on the way home........not super pleasant weather atm.

Sat:
    53km Swords > Lusk > Rush > Skerries > Balbriggan > Naul > Ballyboughal > Swords

Was up all night with the kids so missed the Swords CC spin and went out later on my own. Averaged 27kph which is pretty good, plenty of wind out there and for good measure another soaking as I climbed Naul Hill just in time to be frozen on the descent into Ballyboughal!

Annual total: 1,306.2km
    Weekly Total: 196km

Wanted list
    Garmin 500 + HR + cadence (coming soon)
    Some decent rain gear.

Edit: Have started back at Tag Rugby after a 5-6 year hiatus of being too unfit, training Tues and playing Thurs, probably a good thing to mix up the types of exercise.

The week so far.

Mon:

Tues:
    Tag Rugby Training 1hr39mins

Thurs:
    34km Swords > Ballyboughal > Nags Head > Round the roundabout at the bottom > Nags Head > Ballyboughal > Swords

Decided to step up my work on the hills from now on so I set off tonight up and over the Nags head from the Ballyboughal side, round the roundabout at the N1 after crossing the motorway and then back over the Nags Head and home through Ballyboughal again and the Rathbeal Road.

33.52km
    1:12:20
    Avg Speed 27.8kph

Very proud of that, managed the Nags head back to back, climbed with a nice rythym and a decent average speed for the trip to boot. Felt great this evening and really enjoyed my exertions, could have gone out a bit harder I think on the relative flat before the first bit of the Nags Head kicks off, and maybe shaved some time off there and increased my average speed for the trip, but all good.

Also down to 85Kg which is 20kg off from when I started this log last July. Going to do the 120km Ras Legends next weekend, and the 100km Viking Ride the weekend ofter. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Congrats so far. My first year cycling was based in north dublin and my routes were essentially out over howth and along to sutton. Managed the wicklow 200 that year in 8hrs rolling time...on the back of one 100k spin. You should be able to manage the 200k with a good pace, the adrenaline on the day and plenty of stops. The hills are difficult but just sit in and they are over in c20mins. Great scenery - enjoy

• Advertisement

Fri:

88km Swords > Sally Gap > Laragh > Round Wood > Greystones

Met up with cdaly_ a fellow boardsie after work on the way into town and we set off for the Sally Gap. Good company and a very enjoyable ride.

Its a great feeling to have been up there and done the Sally Gap, it allows me to get a much better idea of where I am at with regard to hills and climbing and sportifs to come. I was very comfortable in the main though when it kicks up to avg 10% for a km with some steeper digs within that km it brought the pain.

There are steeper hills out there than the Sally Gap and if I was to take on something with sustained kms above 10% I would be in trouble quite fast I feel. Need to develop more power ahead of the SKT Comeragh 160 later this year, but the good news is I have plenty of time to do so.

Sun

48km Swords > Finglas > Phoenix Park lap > Finglas > Swords

Wife drove with the kids to the Phoenix park for a picnic, I set off 15mins before them on the bike, howling gale out there today, tough enough. Picnic and some footy with the kids then back home again.

Annual total: 1,506.2km
    Weekly Total: 200km

Tues:

Tag Rugby training, 10km Commute

Thurs:

Tag Rugby, 10km Commute

Sat:

120km Ras Legends Royal Meath Challenge

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86983411

Kept pace for the first 72km very handy, even did a couple of turns on the front into the howling wind. After the food stop at 72km they set off at a savage pace and I was in a group of about 10 clipping along at well over 40kph.

My brother was with me and he got dropped, wasn't able for that sort of pace. He had a tumour removed along with a portion of his left lung in mid January, so merely completing the 120km course is a massive achievement in itself. He is new to cycling, and his long spins top out at about 70km, and his body seemed to have had enough not long after that marker.

We took our time for 30-40km and as we neared the finish, I set off for a solo burst of about 10km at the end averaging 30+kph.

I was still full of riding at the end, kept up and contributed to the pace in a couple of different groups throughout the day, and without doubt it was my best day on a bike to date.

This ride was flat as the proverbial pancake, next weeks Viking Longship has some proper hills to whet the appetite and I am looking forward to a very different challenge.

Annual total: 1,646.2km
    Weekly Total: 140km

Week 10 of 2011

Was away on business in Brussels all week, so only got out on the bike this weekend.

Sat:

105km Viking Ride. Set off with a mate to do this, Tory Hill destroyed his legs early on so we stuck together with me giving him a tow as best I could to the Ferry. After the Ferry I set off with the lead group, and when we took a wrong turn had to stick with them to the finish and leave him to struggle home on his own.

The ride was very well organised, and the people very friendly, the food stop was good and the girls with cake at the Ferry very well received! A marshall must have had to pop away briefly which is what resulted in us making a wrong turn at Dunmore, but we still got in the 105km so it was all good in the end.

I bonked a bit 10km from the end and am very grateful to the two lads who took a slight edge off the pace and towed me home, that last 10km would have been miserable on my own.

Would definitely go back next year, I would say this was perhaps more of a challenging route than the SKT 90km I did last August, though I am in way better shape and weight now. Tory hill was a good challenge and very picturesque at the same time.

Sun

24km Swords > Ashbourne > Swords

A recovery spin of sorts, when I set out on these short local trips I find it hard not to do anything other than "ride it like I stole it."

I would be most grateful if someone better versed in the ways of Garmins and HR Zones etc could cast an eye over this set of results, it's the first time I wore the HR Monitor.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/262925

The Various ways of estimating your max HR put mine at 185 at most, I hit 184 on that spin this evening and I am pretty sure that's a bit off my max as on the hills I have felt it beating a good bit harder than anything today's ride would put me through.

Is my ride it like you stole it approach inefficient for training? as according to tonight's measurements I spent the whole time in Zone 4 or 5. Although I am sure on much longer solo training rides on my own I spend alot of time in Zone 3.

Annual total: 1,776.2km
    Weekly Total: 130km

Next Week:

I am going to have a go at the Tour of Louth next Saturday, aiming for a Silver Medal at least.

2011_poster.jpg

100km Tour of Louth, 3hrs9mins, Gold Medal. Thrilled with my ride today even though the legs didn't feel good, more to follow later!

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/270146

Week 11 of 2011

Fri:

Swords > Howth > Swords 46km

Chilled out ride with the wife, with a balls out go at Howth Village side while she had a cuppa.

I clocked 7mins24secs for the Village side, legs felt great and I am pretty happy with the time, had a bit left in the tank at the end, but I think that time was pretty close to my best effort.

http://app.strava.com/segments/661174

Sat:

Howth TT, Sutton Side

Took the kids to Howth for a picnic, threw the bike on the back of the car and had a go at the Howth Sutton TT from the line outside the GAA club to the Summit Shop sign. I was cold, it was blowing a gale into my face but I still managed to clock 9mins48secs. Happy with that, I think 9mins dead is around the best effort mark without the wind and properly warmed up, I will get back there again soon with legs nicely warmed up from the cycle over from Swords. Whens the next Boards TT, clocking 9minsXX should prevent me coming last!

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/271300

Sun

Tour of Louth 100km Sportif

Set out from Dublin at 8.30am, got rained on while loading up the car, rained all the way to Louth, rained while getting ready, stopped just in time for the start.

I was undecided about whether to go for the Platinum or the Gold, I figured I could probably sit on the platinum group as far as the Cooley Mountains without too much bother, but would prob get spat out the back badly on the hills and end up on my own.

In the end I settled on the Gold group which was distinctly lacking in community spirit, only myself and 4-5 others were willing to do any work at all the keep the pace ticking along, and one lad in particular must have driven the peleton half of the distance to the Cooley mountains. I can't understand why in a group of up to 100 soo few people would be willing to push the pace along and share the load.

I was quite dispiriting to see people who had sat on mine and others wheels dance off up the hill with fresh legs when mine were feeling the efforts of the previous 50km.

My legs didn't feel good at the foot of the climb, and I was surprised to see I was already in the Granny Gear with legs burning on the first slopes, by contrast, last week I was climbing the much more demanding Tory Hill with comparable ease. I don't think the 2 runs up Howth on Fri and Sat were a bright idea!

I must have summited the climb about 1/3 of the way back from the front of the original group with 15-20 in front of me. I descended hard but just failed to get on the back of that group of about 15-20 riders, that's the point at which chances of a Platinum disappeared, if those lads got one I would have too, if I could have got on. In hindsight I should have buried myself on the descent and recovered sitting on the back of that group, lesson learned!

In the end I hooked up with 2 guys one from Lucan CC and the other in a red kit, we worked very hard together along Carlingford Lough, but it was into a fairly savage headwind and we never looked like making the bridge. We kept the pace honest and flew along once we made the turn away from the Lough towards Dundalk with the strong wind behind us. The last 10km were proper miserable, my legs were shredded and the rain was strong and I was soaked through.

I met and had a quick chat a novice boardsie cyclist who was doing his first event, congrats to him, he got home in 3hrs17mins afair to pick up his gold medal!

All in all, despite the weather a great event. The first time I ever cycled 100km without stopping! And remember "It's not a race!" :p

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/270146

Annual total: 1,925km
    Weekly Total: 150km

I guess I need to finally bite the bullet now and join Swords CC and get out on a regular basis with the Sat 8.30am spin. I guess my new goal is to race club league either later this year or maybe more realistically in 2012.

imag0015i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pleader

Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I guess I need to finally bite the bullet now and join Swords CC and get out on a regular basis with the Sat 8.30am spin.

Well done on the TOL. What sort of pace/distance does that 8.30am group go at? I'm thinking of gatecrashing next Saturday. :)

RT66 wrote: »
    Well done on the TOL. What sort of pace/distance does that 8.30am group go at? I'm thinking of gatecrashing next Saturday. :)

Never logged it on my phone, and not been out with them since I got my garmin. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say about 30kph or so up hill and down dale, and it runs for about 70km.

This is the route from the website, its mainly rolling, with the main drags out of Skerries, and up to Naul village.

swordsccsatspin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Never logged it on my phone, and not been out with them since I got my garmin. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say about 30kph or so up hill and down dale, and it runs for about 70km.

Thanks for that. I think I'll give it a go. Might go do the route before to get the lie of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Its pretty much 30kmph, but sitting in it feels easy enough. When taking your turn on the front it can be tough till you get use to it. There aint any real hills its more just rolling terrain with the 3 sisters at the back of the naul being the worst of it. the pace usually lifts significantly at the back of the airport - 40/45km/ph as we do up and overs. Its a great way to learn how to ride in a bunch and the bit at the airport should teach you a bit about going through and easing off and letting the next person through for racing.

• Advertisement

Week 12 of 2011 - Part 1

Weds

Mountain biking! A girl at work kindly arranged a loan of a friends hardtail and took me up to 3 rock for a two hour spin round the trails. It was very enjoyable despite the showers, and definitely something I would like to repeat in future. It would make a nice diversion from the road efforts on occasion and might be a good way to keep the miles ticking over when the weather is inclement in the winter.

Will try it a few more times and if the interest remains invest in a second hand bargain hardtail off of adverts.

Upcoming

Wicklow 200. I am going to do this on Sunday, 6am start aim to get round in under 10 hours, keep the pace nice and even so I have legs left for the 2nd hundred which will largely be uncharted territory. I can obviously do it, the mind is strong, even if the legs may be unwilling towards the end!

Might do a short recovery spin tomorrow night and then call it a day on the bike til the early hours of Sunday morning.

The Wicklow 200 2011, an exercise in suffering

Woke 10mins before the alarm at 5.20am and started getting myself sorted, breakfast of Porridge and a nice cuppa. Hit the road at 5.50am and made for Greystones, weather was looking decent enough, though as I passed 3 rock I could see the cloud coming in over the Wicklow mountains, any hope the forecasters had got it wrong was fading.

I arrived at Shoreside about 6.25am, got the bike off the car and started to get myself together. Mounted the bike and headed down to clock in. Clocked in at 6.40am or so, realised I had left my shades on the roof of the car, so a quick spin back to pick them up and I set off up the N11 with the rest. Forgot to start the gps for a couple of mins but nothing major.

I had come up with a rudimentary plan for keeping my effort consistent with the 200km nature of the challenge, and had decided to try and stay in HR Zone 3 as much as possible on the flat so as not to burn myself out, as it turned out Zone 4 was required just to stay warm at times!

Headed up the N11 and towards the first climb of the day at Sally Gap, no groups forming, but I did have a nice chat with a chap who was pondering whether to do the 100 or 200, he chose wisely and we parted company at the split.

The Climb up to Sally Gap was easy enough, passed plenty of folks on the long and not so steep portion before the left turn, and more on the final section to the top. At this point the rain was very light and although the wind was getting up conditions weren't too bad and spirits were good. Descended quite fast hitting @70kph on the way down, didn't clock the bridge at all and nearly ended up requiring the ambulance. As I spotted the bridge I slammed on the brakes and the back wheel got out of shape on me, my brain was looking for the best place to bail out, but I got it back together and made it round the corner, thankfully no cars coming the other way so I had enough road to play with. Given the day that was in it they should have had a marshall waving people to slow down up the hill from the bridge, as they did at the earlier hairpin before the Sally Gap climb.

From Sally Gap to Donard it was mainly rolling stuff and some extended drags. I was going ok, but the rain and wind had really started to get up and it was gusting hard and mostly into your face or savage crosswind. I was motoring along happily enough on my own and passed Gog somewhere alongside the reservoir, we had a quick chat for a few minutes and then parted company. Shortly after I bumped into a Veteran cyclist and we had a chat for a few minutes, he was a yachtsman and a keen meteorologist, when I made a passing comment about what a fine day it was, he cheerfully informed me that the wind and rain hadn't even started properly yet, and it would be a howling gale and a deluge into our faces when we reached SM and SE, and he was right!

It was pretty uneventful until Donard and a sitdown with a quick cuppa, chicken and stuffing sandwich and rice krispie bar had me back on the road in 10-15mins. The legs felt refreshed and I made good time for a while, but that quickly faded and it was about this time I started to notice that the constant rolling nature of the ride was taking its toll on my legs and whilst the mind and heart were willing, the legs were starting to flag a little.

I had read about on boards, and seen on ridewithgps, the small climb before SM that the WW200 noobs often mistook for SM itself, but I guess I was clutching at straws when I asked a fella as we hit the bottom of SM, "Is this Shay Elliot?", he helpfully replied "No its SM and it gets steeper yet!"

I ground away in the Granny Gear and managed to keep things moving at an average of about 8kph. I had to stop to have a lash about half way up, which was an interesting experience in that wind. Got safely over SM, grabbed some Powerbar sweeties at the energy station, and knew SE was going to greet me as soon as I was done with the descent.

The misery had well and truly sunk in now, it was blowing a gale and raining sideways, I was soaked through and descending was making me very cold and was potentially dangerous. My left hand was now numb, and on the descent I couldn't feel my left brake lever, I also had an intense ice cream headache as the rain pouring down my forehead was being chilled by the howling wind and airflow from my rapid descent.

As soon as the descent was done it was no time until SE kicked off, the 3km KOH sign at the bottom gave me some heart, at least it was short eh? I didn't find SE as hard as SM I can spin away as long as a climb doesn't kick up too steep, and SE seemed to stay in my green zone for the most part. I was still suffering away mind, but SM had been an exercise in pain. The horns and cheering from the invisible mist shrouded peak inspired me to greater efforts as I knew they were not too far off and must signify the summit. The pink 410's stencilled on the road also lifted my heart and as I summited SE I felt a burst of exhilaration, the cheers and shouts, and knowing that there may be 70km to go, and it was going to be damn hard, but the back of the WW200 was broken and I was going to get there.

After SE it seemed like a long coast downhill to Rathdrum, some more rice krispie bars, a couple of cups of tea, and another tasty chicken and stuffing sandwich....the brown bread one is better than the white btw......

Thereafter it was all downhill into Avoca, and then there was alot of unexpected uphill from then on, by this stage my legs were shredded and any sort of incline involved resorting to the granny gear and spinning away. To be fair there was alot of unexpected climbing between Avoca and Kilmacurra and some of it kicked up quite steep for short sections, I remember one left turn that kicked into a few 100m at 10% plus and was beginning to think the Marquis de Sade had been involved in the route plotting tasked with finding every dig between Rathdrum and Greystones!

Once we crossed the N11, myself and an American I had been chatting to kicked for home, and managed to set a better pace for the last 15-20km, spurred on by the thought of a hot drink and some dry clothes.

The food at the end was the most underwhelming aspect of the whole thing, having done a variety of events this last month, this was by far the mankiest fare offered to weary bodies.

My GPS, Cadence and Speed all crapped out like others have mentioned so I had to turn on corrections to fix the bogus SM and SE climb data the GPS had flattened out.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/279828

Official time: 9hrs8mins
    GPS rolling time: 8hrs26mins
    AVG rolling speed : 22.4kph

I am pretty chuffed to have knocked out what I would consider a decent enough time for the WW200, I have come a long way since I started last August and then again in March. In the last 4 weekends I have done the Ras Legends Royal Meath Challenge 120km, the 100km Viking ride in Waterford, a Gold medal in the Tour of Louth 100km and now the WW200.

I may give the Maracycle a whirl in a couple of weeks, and then keep things ticking over until the years main target, the SKT 160km Comeragh Challenge in late August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Inquitus,

Great thread - given me some food for thought there.
    I'm in the same sort of position as you were at the start, I bought a bike in January this year and have been out a fair bit whenever I can but haven't kept a log.
    I work away from home a week at a time and while I'm away a few of us go Mountain biking and I've been doing that for a few years now although not regularly and the reason I got a road bike was to try and improve my fitness for when we do go out on the mountain bikes.
    I'm in Ashbourne and my usual spin is down the N2 to Kilshane cross, left to the airport, left again round the airport and then left again past Swords Manor and a final left onto the road to Ashbourne. My spin is 34Km door to door and I've got the time down to about 1 hour 12 now, and managed an average of 30Kmh for the first hour for the first time yesterday.
    Today I was feeling brave/mad and went to Duleek / Drogheada / Julianstown / Balbriggan / Swords / Ashbourne. Total of 78.9Km and it took me 2 hours 50. The longest time I have spent on a bike since I was a teenager!

I'll look out for you when I'm out now - I'm on a black Cube bike - I've seen a few people about around the Swords area and most wave so maybe I've seen you already.

Keep up with the thread - it's a good read

Some pics of yours truly from the WW200 website:

1) Clocking off! Definitely a slightly broken insanity about my eyes there!

IMG_1403.jpg

2) A free massage you say? Where do I sign up....

IMG_1412.jpg

A couple of gentle recover spins on Tues and Weds.

Might try and hook up with the Swords 8.30am spin on Sat morning, see if I have come on enough to make it all the way round!

Annual total: 2,160km

Week 13 of 2011

Couple of short recovery spins after the WW200 as mentioned in the post above on Tues and Weds.

Decided to hook up with the Swords CC 8.30am spin this morning, for the first time in 7 weeks and only the 3rd time ever. Having being dropped on the drag up to Naul the first time and on the 3 sisters the 2nd time, I thought that all the hard work over the last 2 months would come home to roost and I was hoping to get round handy enough.

Was sitting around at the meetup, and RT66 arrived, admired the boards jersey and we had a quick chat. Nice to see a fellow boardsie, and good potential for 2 new boardsie members of Swords CC I'd say!

The legs and engine didn't feel good early on, and my turn at the front came on the climb out of Skerries, sending my HR through the roof, it was surprisingly high for the first 30mins odd, not sure why. Things settled down thereafter and I did a few turns on the front as and when my turn came round.

Was feeling pretty good as we hit the back of the airport, and it was very enjoyable as the pace from there to Swords varied between 40-50kph, with lads winding up and hurtling off up the road. The last 10km coming in at an average of about 42kph. Bid good bye to RT66 and turned off to home.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/284036

Annual Total 2,230

Week 14 of 2011

Went for a spin last night, Swords, Ballyboughal, Nags Head, round the roundabout, Nagshead, Ballyboughal, Swords.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/94158769

30.1kph average for the 33.5km round trip including up Nags Head from both sides.

As I came back over the Nags Head and neared the left turn for Ballyboughal, a fellow cyclist sped across in from of me on the main road coming from Naul. I made my left turn and was about 150m back from him. He was setting a decent pace, so I decided to try and reel him in between there and the left turn for Swords at the Rathbeal Road, a distance of about just under 10km.

I find having a target like this makes it significantly easier to ride hard on a training run then if left to my own devices. He kept eeking out more distance on the flat, but I tended to reel him in more on the slight inclines, though as its predominantly downhill til Roganstown the gap was only down to about 100m as we went over the bridge. I reeled him in fast thereafter as the road kicks up slightly, and powered past him on the 200m steepish dig at the end up onto the Rathbeal Road, before hanging a left and powering home at 40kph plus with the wind behind me.

I had gone out pretty hard, and attacked the climb hard from both sides, usually I tend to lose focus and ease off subconsciously on the way home, so having a target to aim at helped alot.

Anyways 33.5km over Nags Head twice and keeping a >30kph average is a decent spin and shaved 6 minutes off my last run over this route. Very happy with that.

Will try out a 5km jog tonight to see how that goes, and then rest up ahead of the Maracycle on Saturday. If the legs aren't shredded I might try and join the Swords CC Tour on Sunday, unfortunately I only realised it was on after regging for the Maracycle, I would definitely have opted for it instead otherwise.

So I went and did the 5km run this evening 23:35, not bad for a first effort I thought.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/94347069

Week 14 of 2011 - Part 2

Maracycle, Dublin to Belfast 25th June 2011

Did the Maracycle on Saturday. Set off from the house about 7am, in heavy enough rain and wet roads, was fairly wet by the time I made it the 10km to DCU, though spirits were lifted by the strong headwind on the way to DCU in the knowledge that would be behind us all the way.
    5873551622_e179dae6af_z.jpg

5872996523_04180a1d04_z.jpg

A first group of @ 200 went off about 7.30am, I was in the 2nd similar sized group which went off 10minutes later.

Got into a nice group of 4 early on where we were all doing 2min turns on the front, it was working well until one of the lads punctured. Continued passing people at a fair old rate and then tagged onto the back of a group of 4 lads from the north.

One of the lads was a machine and did alot of time on the front including on stretch downhill at a savage pace somewhere round dundalk. The group bulked up along the way and at one point we had 14-16 lads, between punctures and people being dropped this had thinned to about 5 or 6 by the time we made the midpoint rest and timecheck point.

To our surprise we were first there and had the place to ourselves. We loaded up on Jaffa Cakes, Ham Sandwiches and a couple of cups of tea.
    5873553616_501a9dd1fd_z.jpg

5872998371_fd94bcc198_z.jpg

We set off after the stop and the group quickly thinned, down through punctures and people being dropped until there were just 4 of us left, me and the three lads from Belfast. The machine had decided, once we saw we were the first to the checkpoint, that he was going to win the race that wasn't a race :) He dropped his 2 buddies with only me on his wheel, and we shared the work along the towpath before he eventually dropped me on the climb up into Banbridge.

A helpful soul who was out on a short spin from one of the local northern cycling clubs kindly towed me up the 4/5km climb probably much to the chagrin of my adversary up ahead.

Spent the rest of the ride into Belfast on my own with a savage tailwind that made everything easy. The locals had removed signage at a couple of key points and I had to cycle round Banbridge asking people and trying to figure out which way was Moira, and you might notice I didn't take the direct route to Q.U. in belfast again missing signage sent me on a bit of a detour! Rolled in behind my buddy from earlier to clock what I feel is a highly creditable 05:52:48 for an avg speed of 31.4kph and a stop of only 15-20mins at the checkpoint.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/94757617

Got the 16:10 train back to Connolly, having to cycle the 20km back to Swords was a bit unwelcome at that point!

Total for the day 185+10+20=215km

Swords CC Tour 100km 26th June

Was unsure as to whether I would be able, or it was wise to do this after yesterdays exertions. Kids had us up ay 8.20am, and I had a look out the window to see good weather with great potential for the day.

Got my stuff together, and set off on the short cycle to Fingallians GAA club to sign on. Paid my money, got a goodie bag with some breakfast in it, after the WW200 I have a soft spot for those Gold Rice Cripsie squares :)

We rolled out about 9.10am and the pace was steady enough through some lovely scenary as we took in some roads round meath.

Rolled into the Battle of the Boyne Visitor Center in glorious sunshine having done the 58km in just over 2 hours at an avg of 28 odd. It was a great spot for the food, and we sat around in glorious sunshine with lovely surroundings eating our sandwiches and drinking our tea.
    5872999903_73fa8a48b2_z.jpg

5873556994_19c37bca11_z.jpg
    Rolled out about 30mins later, again with a steady pace which held until the 150km/100km split after Julianstown. I had been feeling good engine wise and my HR had been fairly low all day, but my back was giving me **** from yesterdays efforts and my left knee and thigh were pretty hurty. I had long since decided to take the 100km option and peeled off with another 20-30 likeminded souls. There was a pretty vicious headwind on the way back down the N1 and the group thinned out to about 10 or so near the end. I did a bit of work for the last 20km after Balbriggan as we got the up and overs going, the group was all lined out by then. Pace was fairly savage for the last bit and my legs weren't enjoying it. We rolled back into Fingallians soon after and that was it for the day, said goodbyes and cycled on back up to the house.

Was a very well organised and run event, nice atmosphere, great weather and a brilliant food stop. I will join Swords CC at some stage, but the lads are stuck in the 80's and only accept cheques! and I don't have a chequebook ;)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/94977057

Weekly Total: 350km (315km Sat and Sun)
    Annual Total: 2,580km

Week 15/16 of 2011

Tues: 5km run 23:50
    Weds: 5km run 23:44
    Thurs: 5km run 26:08 (slower paced to see how sustainable it would be)
    Fri: 10km run 52:06

Decided to give running a whirl as a break from the cycling, and because I had time constraints most evenings that week. Pretty happy with the times considering aside from tag rugby I haven't run at all for years.

Sat: Swords CC 8.30am Spin

This was really easy, HR stayed low, fairly leisurely pace I reckon. Some good fun as we rode around the Skerries Road Race course with early morning Crowds out, some of the lads making motor bike noises, everyone amused!

Mon: 5km run 24:30 - not loaded off gps yet

Off to Spain on my holidays on Sat, have a road bike hired for the 2 weeks for 150yoyos, there are some decent enough climbs to be had in the locale. Will give these a crack over the course of the 2 weeks and see how I get on, a real step up from some of the ones round here either in steepness or in sustained length. I can always stop and rest if needed :)

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Carrascoy&qryMountainID=4195

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Cerro-Espuna&qryMountainID=4209

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Cerro-Espuna&qryMountainID=4208

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi Inquitus,

Was out on the half 8 spin myself on Sat (in northwave gear), what gear where you wearing? I ask as i was chatting to most people in the group (i never shut up) so was possibly talking to yourself at some stage.The pace was pedestrian alright esp for the first hour were it seemed like we were going nowhere fast.

Dont have a garmin myself but mad what them elevation charts show - there are only a few bumps on that spin and makes them look like col's.

On the running, I use to run approx 65km pw for about a year and half before giving up due to injury, my advice to you is not to push too hard too often and build a nice base over a month or two. Once you ve done that mix up your runs a bit if you wanna get stronger and faster. You ll get loads of advice over in the ART section but something like this based on 4 runs a week

5km (2km WU, 2km at pace, 1km WD)
    7km easy
    6.5km (2km WU, 1k at pace, 0.5km jog, 1k at pace, 2km WD)
    10km - 13km easy run

Key is doing easy days easy, and hard days hard and avoiding injury by not running hard everyday.

Anyway enjoy the holidays

Advertisement