Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lumen's winter TT prep plan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Woo-hoo, my pointy hat has arrived.

It fits my noggin, is super comfy and seems well made. Happy days!

Last week was good. I had three rest days but still managed over 8 hours of exercise, including almost 2 hours of tempo pedalling and my longest run to date (around 12km yesterday).

I'm hoping that I can achieve improvements in this winter period without doing lots of LSD in crappy weather, by focusing on quality tempo workouts and continuing to build core strength with running and swimming.

The question is: how much tempo is enough? I've analysed my power files from the past year to find out how much time I actually spend at tempo (L3) or over in a typical long training ride or sportive.

05/04/2009 108km solo, 83 min.
    10/04/2009 ROK ON - SG, Larag, ShayE (147km), 89 min.
    11/05/2009 Sally Gap and back (98km), 67 min.
    25/05/2009 Home-Dundrum-Sally Gap (101km), 57 min.
    30/05/2009 Boards spin to Laragh (140km), 89 min.
    01/06/2009 Solo via DD,EK,SG,Saggart (92km), 73 min.
    07/06/2009 WW200 (191km), 107min.
    13/06/2009 Solo:SG via JF (92km), 74 min.
    21/06/2009 Boards early:JF,SG,Sagart (95km), 78min.
    25/06/2009 Boards spin: SG, Laragh, WW200 route (143km), 127 min.
    28/06/2009 Tour of Louth (102km), 74 min.
    04/07/2009 ROK (175km), 132 min.
    25/07/2009 Leitrim #1 (85km), 68 min.
    26/07/2009 Leitrim #2 (92km), 81 min.

I've probably missed a couple, but that's most of my longish rides from 2009 since I got the power meter.

It seems that in a typical 90-100km hilly ride I spend about only 1:15 at tempo or above, and for longer rides this rises to around 2 hours.

My best distance ride of the year was the ROK, which came after a 6 week period including 9 long rides. It felt fast and easy, at least for the first 100km.

For some time I've had the idea that if I could ever manage 2x100km hilly rides a week every week, I'd improve hugely. This never happens, and I think it's an unreasonable expectation given the current demands on my time. But this amounts to only around 2:30 of tempo once the crud is stripped out.

So for the time being I'll target 2-3 hours of tempo a week and see what happens. I'm operating on the assumption that my mitochondria aren't really fussed about how that time is divided over my week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My understanding of beneficial tempo workouts is that it must be consistant effort with no breaks. So in order for a tempo to be effective you need to build to zone3 and maintain it for whatever length of time without dropping back into zone2 and allowing for recovery. An ideal tempo being something like.. 20mins (zone1-zone2), 40-60mins (constant zone3), xx mins (zone1-zone2).

Thats not to say that a 2hr ride with 30/40 minutes in zone3 is no good. I am basing all this on Friel of course but he recommends that intensive endurance rides should accumulate 30-40 minutes in zone3 which does not have to be one single block.

Again, I know very little myself and this may have been what you were doing/intending to do anyway :D

No doubt sustained tempo is better than tempo sprinkled over a long ride, but I don't have any historical data for that since I only started using the turbo a few weeks ago, and have never done structured training on the road.

I have improved significantly in the past when the tempo is spread over a longer ride, so I'm expecting results at least this good when condensing the tempo down into 20min+ intervals on the turbo.

Mon:
    - Road bike/Turbo: 49 mins @ 170W/135bpm (15@125W,20@200W,2@300W,10@140W). 500kJ. Hamstrings felt the same as TT bike, but found it easier to generate power (hip angles and all that). 200W is easy, 300W is hard, no change there then. Ripped a cuticle off setting up the trainer, did the session anyway, bleeding. I'm well'ard.
    Tue:
    - Worked late. Went to Abrakebabra to top up for later turbo session. Felt sick. Went to bed.
    Wed:
    - Road bike/Turbo: 57 mins @ 175W/144bpm (10@125W,30@205W,2@300W,15@125W). 595kJ.
    Thu
    - RB/Turbo: 0:51@177W/143bpm: 10@125W,30@203W,1@302W,10@140W. 545kJ.
    - Steady run: 5km, 0:26, 148bpm. Running after turbo is hard.
    Fri: nil.
    Sat:
    - Hilly group ride: 127km in 5:30 ish, 3577kJ. 1:42@L3+. Back a bit sore after the first 90km or so.
    Sun:
    - Club spin: 118km in 5:07, 2356kJ. 1:11@L3+. Felt easy enough, although bonked 5 mins from home. According to GoldenCheetah, yesterday's boards spin was 23% harder (BikeScore) than today's "step up" club spin, and it took 50% more energy.

Summary:
    - Turbo: 2:37
    - Cycling: 10:37
    - Running: 0:26
    Total: 13:40
    Pedalling@Z3+: 4:18

Random thoughts:

I tried GoldenCheetah 1.3rc1, and it's buggy. No CP charts, and the power numbers are well out. So I'm still relying on PowerAgent for the moment.

Also, my new tri shoes are the comfiest things ever (the shame!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lumen wrote: »
    Also, my new tri shoes are the comfiest things ever (the shame!).

Have the same shoes, very comfy.. now use them the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Where did you get the shoes from? Oh yeah and how much smaller than you normal trainer should your cycling shoe be?

Stealth arrived yesterday... on the scale at 7.8kg... sweet, hence need pretty shoes :)

MCOS wrote: »
    Where did you get the shoes from? Oh yeah and how much smaller than you normal trainer should your cycling shoe be?

Stealth arrived yesterday... on the scale at 7.8kg... sweet, hence need pretty shoes :)

Got them from Wiggle. I wouldn't call them pretty. They seem like a really crass attempt at Euro which fails badly due to (a) the mahoosive Shimano logos (b) the fact that they're tri shoes.

They're size 44.

I wear a size 9 formal shoe, size 43 casual shoe, size 45 in Sidis, size 44 in Specialized (and now apparently Shimano).

btw, what's a "trainer"? Do you mean "runner"? You're not foreign are you? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Actually around my town its a 'Tackie' :D

Your bike shoes are bigger than your everyday shoes? I heard that they should be maybe 2 sizes smaller as you cannot afford any movement inside the shoe. Especially in TT scenarios where everybit of power on the pedal counts, movement detracts. I hadn't a clue of course buying my first road bike and first pair of shoes in Oct 08 and just got a pair of size 45 as that was my shoe size

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    Your bike shoes are bigger than your everyday shoes? I heard that they should be maybe 2 sizes smaller as you cannot afford any movement inside the shoe.

I think they just need to be comfortable.

It's easier to pull up in snug fitting shoes, and they feel good when climbing, but pulling up against the upper isn't strictly necessary. From what I recall, unloading the pedal on the upstroke is all that's required for biomechanical efficiency (so you're not fighting your opposite foot).

That said, I'm not inviting another argument about subjective performance improvements. :pac:

A good week. 245km this weekend was an unexpected achievement.
    Summary:
    - Turbo: 2:37
    - Cycling: 10:37
    - Running: 0:26
    Total: 13:40
    Pedalling@Z3+: 4:18

I think I'll have a break from the bike this coming week, apart from the odd turbo session. I should probably get some more running and swimming done to further build my structural fitness, and focus on stretching my hamstrings - this is currently my main positional limitation on the TT bike.

I'm about half way through my plan and everything feels good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

That is a pretty impressive training week put down. If you dont take a few races in the club league I shall be extremely disappointed:D

ROK ON wrote: »
    That is a pretty impressive training week put down. If you dont take a few races in the club league I shall be extremely disappointed:D

Ha. My expectations are very low on that score. The only chance will be sandbagging myself into some super-limit group, but posting my 13 hour training weeks on the internet somewhat reduces the chances of that...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't know, you were pretty impressive today in the racing drills.

Mon: rest, early night.
    Tue:
    - Easy run: 6.5km, 0:33.
    - Swim: 750m, 0:19. Spent too much time failing to calibrate my FootPod on the treadmill, and ran out of swimming time. Doh.
    Wed:
    - Steady run: 6.5km, 0:30(:30). Right semimembranosus tendon (?) sore afterwards. Stupid hamstrings.
    Thu/Fr/Sat: nil.
    Sun: RB Turbo: 0:55, 625kJ, attempted threshold test. 20@150W, 4x(1@200W, 1@135W), 5@280W, 10@145W, 6:40@259W, 5@120W.

Summary:
    - Turbo: 0:55
    - Cycling: 0:00
    - Running: 1:03
    - Swimming: 0:19
    Total: 2:17
    Pedalling@Z3+: 0:14
    Weight: 70kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

out if interest, about how much tempo time did you get out of the club spin on Sunday?

niceonetom wrote: »
    out if interest, about how much tempo time did you get out of the club spin on Sunday?

1:11 at tempo and above, from a 5hr ride.

The detailed breakdown was:

Tempo (187-225W): 27:40
    Threshold (225-262W): 15:49
    VO2Max (262-300W): 10:45
    Anaerobic (300-375W): 08:18
    Neuromuscular (>375W): 08:18

Peak 5s: 984W
    Peak 10s: 940W
    Peak 20s: 804W
    Peak 30s: 691W
    Peak 1m: 478W
    Peak 2m: 395W
    Peak 5m: 283W
    Peak 10m: 220W
    Peak 20m: 181W

The peak 20 minute power (181W average) shows that we were never working hard for very long.

I don't mentally allocate extra points to anything over tempo pace, since it's still January.

Hmm, not that much really, though it is worth noting that most of that 1:11 of "tempo and above" was "above". I do award points for time over tempo.

I think I'll go with the fast group again next week where the pace is both a little faster (hopefully) and a bit more consistent.

I think I'll go with the fast group again next week where the pace is both a little faster (hopefully) and a bit more consistent.

I found in my analysis of long rides from last year that I very rarely spent more than 1:15 at tempo or above in a single ride; on the ROK I managed a little over two hours, but spread over a very long day.

A 50 mile TT would probably answer some questions...

I found in my analysis of long rides from last year that I very rarely spent more than 1:15 at tempo or above in a single ride; on the ROK I managed a little over two hours, but spread over a very long day.

A 50 mile TT would probably answer some questions...

I think riding with a stronger group would up the crud-to-quality ratio significantly. You can test that hypothesis for me.

What would you hope to find out with a 50 mile tt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

50 mile TT, ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

@Lumen

Not strictly training related, but did you capture the route (assuming you have a Garmin or similar.) I have no fecking clue where we went, all I remember is freezing fog, cowshit in my face (it tastes kind of salty) and wishing I'd put energy drink in my bottles instead of water.

What level of effort is sustainable for a couple of hours, uninterrupted.

There are times when I'm cycling in a group and the pace goes up, and I think "this is hard!". Then I look at the power (30s average, for instance) and it's only (say) 230W. I know from my 40k TT that I can do more effort than this for over an hour, so I just buckle down and get on with it, and eventually the pace eases up.

Or if I'm on a climb behind Raam and my power is 350W, I think "this is totally unsustainable, I'll just peg it back and wait for him to crash".

I'd just like to get a bit more of an understanding about what happens over longer periods of time.

lukester wrote: »
    @Lumen

Not strictly training related, but did you capture the route (assuming you have a Garmin or similar.) I have no fecking clue where we went, all I remember is freezing fog, cowshit in my face (it tastes kind of salty) and wishing I'd put energy drink in my bottles instead of water.

103555.png

Or if I'm on a climb behind Raam and my power is 350W, I think "this is totally unsustainable, I'll just peg it back and wait for him to crash".

That only happened once!

Raam wrote: »
    That only happened once!

It was unforgettable. Even Blorg doesn't crash going uphill.

Just call me Denis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Way ahead of you. I crashed going up the final climb on the Sean Kelly 2008, I was cooked and touched wheels with the guy I was with.

Also unclipped sprinting for the top of the Col d'Aspin and stuck my foot into the front spokes... miraculously didn't come off on that one but the wheel did need truing.

blorg wrote: »
    Way ahead of you. I crashed going up the final climb on the Sean Kelly 2008, I was cooked and touched wheels with the guy I was with.

Also unclipped sprinting for the top of the Col d'Aspin and stuck my foot into the front spokes... miraculously didn't come off on that one but the wheel did need truing.

Why are we not surprised? ;)

Why are we not surprised? ;)
    Well if you crashed while the lead rider going up a hill that is more impressive.

• Advertisement

Well if you crashed while the lead rider going up a hill that is more impressive.

I rode into the back of someone.

I rode into the back of someone.
    That is acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

This makes for depressing reading when you are stuck off the bike :(

Some impressive stats Lumen, I'm guessing you guys were with the step-up group on Sunday?

Do you run a regular double or a compact? If compact, will you be swapping up for racing?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm guessing you guys were with the step-up group on Sunday?

Yes. Step-up from beginner, presumably.
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Some impressive stats Lumen

I'm still lounging around the arse end of Cat3 in terms of power/weight according to various tables I've seen. Not really fussed yet, although would like to see some gains before the end of the year.

edit: sorry, it's a compact. I'll change it if it proves a problem.

For what it's worth I raced on a compact all year this year. There is no real need for the smaller ring in the club league courses so you don't need to shift at the front. Only exception would be when there was a steep uphill finish on the Brittas circuit. Have a standard back on now for this year but I wouldn't think it critical.

I have to say that I am getting a wee bit envious of all this racing talk. If I het thru this year I must join some type of club to try a little racing and ritual humiliation.

For what it's worth I raced on a compact all year this year. There is no real need for the smaller ring in the club league courses so you don't need to shift at the front. Only exception would be when there was a steep uphill finish on the Brittas circuit. Have a standard back on now for this year but I wouldn't think it critical.

blorg, iirc, you can spin at rates that I would find uncomfortable. Did you find you had to maintain a very high cadence running a compact in races?

I can't really envision that that many occasions where 50x11 is not enough gear. I might put a 110bcd 39 tooth inner-ring on for sharper front shifts though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Yes. Step-up from beginner, presumably.

That's what it used to be. It seems to have switched to step up to racing while my back was turned though.

• Advertisement

I can't really envision that that many occasions where 50x11 is not enough gear. I might put a 110bcd 39 tooth inner-ring on for sharper front shifts though...

Was pondering this which offers a fullish range at both bottom and top.

rottenhat wrote: »
    That's what it used to be. It seems to have switched to step up to racing while my back was turned though.

I believe it happened just after the invention of the STI lever, whilst you were off somewhere oiling your saddlebag.

That's a semi. I want one too.

blorg, iirc, you can spin at rates that I would find uncomfortable. Did you find you had to maintain a very high cadence running a compact in races?
    No, not at all, and I have 12T as my smallest sprocket. The only time I ever felt I was spinning out was the descent of the Galibier once on to the main road in the Marmotte, it is not that steep and it is straight so you do have to pedal, and I was trying to keep up with some fast guys. Club racing certainly not. Barrabus reported there was ONE occasion where the bunch was going very fast on a flat run and he was spinning out on a compact. Not normally a problem though.

Note that you will only learn to be comfortable with higher cadences by getting out there and forcing yourself into situations where you have to spin faster. Fixie downhill works but racing would be good too.

That's a semi.
    Didn't realise it had a name. Bonus.
    No, not at all...not normally a problem.
    Good to know
    Note that you will only learn to be comfortable with higher cadences by getting out there and forcing yourself into situations where you have to spin faster. Fixie downhill works but racing would be good too.
    Pretty comfortable at very high cadence for short bursts, just wondered if at race pace you'd spin out too easily with a compact.

Downhill fixie is the preserve of thrill seekers like yourself. Not my bag.

So this was supposed to be a recovery week, which I was hoping to fill with cross training and stretchy stuff.

However, bad planning and poor motivation resulted in a week of work, rest and beer, culminating in me turning up to the sports centre tonight to find it closed (the second time this week I've got the opening hours wrong).

So I decided to punish myself with a Threshold Test. The protocol is well documented in Training and Racing with a Power Meter:

- 20 min @ endurance pace, to warm up.
    - 3x1 min fast pedalling alternated with 1 min recovery. (I lost count and did 4)
    - 5 minutes flat out, to "empty the legs".
    - 10 min @ endurance pace, to question your sanity.
    - 20 minutes @ "threshold".

I paced the 5 minutes flat out too slow, and ramped up a bit at the end to average 280W. This felt great.

I spent the next 10 minutes thinking of a wattage number of hit for the threshold interval. I figured that my estimated FTP/CP60 (250W) was too low for only 20 minutes, so I should pick 105% of this to make things a bit tougher, which is about 265W.

The first five minutes of the threshold interval were OK. I bounced around between 245W and 280W, mumbling along to Run (thanks whoever posted that). My HR rose to about 172bpm (significantly higher than my 40k TT average).

Then Chicane came on and the dark thoughts started, and I wanted to get off. So I did, at a little under 7 minutes. It seemed a great decision at the time - I'd gone too hard and I was struggling to sustain the power, so feck it. Now I just feel pathetic.

I think the "leg emptier" interval means that I don't need to push so hard in the threshold interval. Either than or my autumn of injury and idleness has left me in even worse state than I thought.

Anyway, chin up - January is a great time to make mistakes, and it's nothing a few more weeks of tempo won't fix.

I will be faster.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,612 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So I decided to punish myself with a Threshold Test. The protocol is well documented in Training and Racing with a Power Meter:
    New Edition due out in April

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Having read that, it seems every article on gear choice is tailored for racers. I have a 34-27 as my lowest and even with that on long hilly spins, I long for lower gears if climbing at the end of the day. And this is just hills in Wicklow and in and around 125 - 150kms.

I need to HTFU a lot. The days of just going out for a spin to enjoy seem to be out.

@Short fully agree on the sentiments. Its seems that many in this site have goals ranging from racing to crazy endurance/audax events. The days of casual spins are becoming a thing of the past.
    It is now allow about willingness to suffer. Enjoyment is gone to be replaced from the strange sense of satisfaction that pain cold and desolation brings.
    ;-)

ROK ON wrote: »
    @Short fully agree on the sentiments. Its seems that many in this site have goals ranging from racing to crazy endurance/audax events. The days of casual spins are becoming a thing of the past.
    It is now allow about willingness to suffer. Enjoyment is gone to be replaced from the strange sense of satisfaction that pain cold and desolation brings.
    ;-)

Gentlemen, we are becoming real bike riders ;)

Gentlemen, we are becoming real bike riders ;)

Will you admit to having done one of these threshold tests, or would that conflict with your sandbagging strategy? A little birdie told me you have a new indoor trainer with power measurement. :)

Will you admit to having done one of these threshold tests, or would that conflict with your sandbagging strategy? A little birdie told me you have a new indoor trainer with power measurement. :)

I never sandbag! No wait, that's wrong...

Yeah we have the turbo, but I'm waiting until I have been infection/cough/snot free for a month before I attempt a threshold test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement