Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for self discipline when trying to lose weight

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

etxp wrote: »
    What does a weights session consist of?

At the moment, one day I do arms, one day I do legs, on the weights machines. I haven't started anything else as I haven't had an assessment with an instructor yet, to get a plan in place. Maybe that's the issue. I'm working out blindly with no plan in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

At the moment, one day I do arms, one day I do legs, on the weights machines. I haven't started anything else as I haven't had an assessment with an instructor yet, to get a plan in place. Maybe that's the issue. I'm working out blindly with no plan in place.

To be honest that doesn't sound like a great workout plan. Where is back and chest? And weight machines are poor for strengthening your core.

Talk with your instructor and have them show you how to do squats, deadlifts and bench press as part of an exercise plan. Start off with light weights until you master the movement. They will help build up your core strength and also help with posture and reducing fat (once you have a reasonable eating plan)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

The first week I lost 4lbs. Then I started doing weights and since then I haven't lost any weight.
    About 1000 - 1500 calories per day (I'm short).

Are you tracking calories accurately? Sorry to ask but it's the first place to look, number one problem is underestimation.
    I upped the intensity of my work outs after the first week, and started doing weights. Burning approximately 400-450 calories per cardio session. My calorie intake is lower; smaller portions, less junk, no eating after 6pm, drinking more water.
    How do you know you're burning 400-450 calories? Is it a machine reading? Be wary of these, also you should not 'allow' for these calories when trying to loose, they will be just an added bonus.

OP here.
    A month into my new lifestyle and I'm loving it. I realised that working out is actually the thing that is keeping me more disciplined with food. I work out in the mornings and it puts me in a good frame of mind for the day and discourages me from wanting to eat junk food. I'm working out 4-5 times pw now. I met with a trainer a few days ago who put a plan in place for me and I'm already seeing results.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Get a friend to go on this diet together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

I read somewhere about trying not to eat into your exercise calories. What does this mean?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Smile111 wrote: »
    I read somewhere about trying not to eat into your exercise calories. What does this mean?

Thanks

It means if you burn extra calories in a day through exercise, you shouldn't increase your calorific intake for the day to match it.

So if you are limiting yourself to 1200 calories of food per day and burn another 300 in the gym, you should still stick to eating 1200 calories and not allow yourself eat the other 300 as it would essentially undo your good work in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Be active...

When time and distance allow walk to your destination.

If there are parks nearby schedule a couple of weekly long walks.

Join a gym

If budget can stretch buy a bike for home use

Food...

I eat healthy all week but make Saturday an exception...either chipper or pizza

Slow down on snacks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Strumms wrote: »
    Be active...

When time and distance allow walk to your destination.

If there are parks nearby schedule a couple of weekly long walks.

Join a gym

If budget can stretch buy a bike for home use

Food...

I eat healthy all week but make Saturday an exception...either chipper or pizza

Slow down on snacks..

Could this not undo your good work during the week? My trainer has said I can eat what I want one day a week but try to keep within my calorie goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

etxp wrote: »
    Could this not undo your good work during the week? My trainer has said I can eat what I want one day a week but try to keep within my calorie goal.

It certainly can/will, if you've 'saved' 2400cals with your hard work during the week, blowing the lot on taco chips sounds a bit dopey to me.

Cheat meals are ok (imo) but not weekly, if you're trying to be disciplined then you really need to stick it out until it becomes a habit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

I found all the tips and ideas in this thread very interesting so far.

RE late night hunger (by far my own biggest downfall). I used to sit down at 10 o clock at night and have 2 or 3 sandwiches. The problem was, I would make an amount of sandwiches (or whatever food) based on how hungry I felt, and then I would obviously eat it all. Instead, if you just make something small - Don't tell yourself that's all you're getting, but just don't prepare it all at once.

So for example, instead of putting on two slices of toast - Put on a single slice of brown toast. Put away the bread etc and sit down and eat it. You probably will feel like more as soon as you have eaten it, but it's going to take a few minutes before you get up again and take out the bread etc. and the longer you leave it, the less chance you have of eating more (as the slice you have eaten hits your system) and you will generally end up not bothering with any more.

RE Exercise - If you are trying to motivate yourself to get out the door to go to the gym or go for a run or whatever - Don't focus too much on what you have to do. Just focus on getting yourself out the door. Once you are in the gym or going for the run or whatever you will be happy you go out. Also, focus on how you will feel afterwards. No matter how hard it is to get off the couch now, you know you will feel great afterwards.

Also RE Exercise, Someone else has mentioned this previously, but just to second it - Look for an outlet that you actually enjoy. If you are going to the Gym and you hate it, it is not going to last. You have to find something that you enjoy and you actually look forward to. Don't be afraid to try out lots of things to find that one thing. The problem with a lot of us is that we played just the usual stuff growing up. Maybe GAA, soccer, rugby..... and if they're not for you, you drift away from sport. But there are lots of sports / activities out there to try. Be creative and look for anything. Generally, the more obscure the sport / activity the greater chance that there will be a lot of beginners in it

BnB wrote: »
    I found all the tips and ideas in this thread very interesting so far.

RE Exercise - If you are trying to motivate yourself to get out the door to go to the gym or go for a run or whatever - Don't focus too much on what you have to do. Just focus on getting yourself out the door. Once you are in the gym or going for the run or whatever you will be happy you go out. Also, focus on how you will feel afterwards. No matter how hard it is to get off the couch now, you know you will feel great afterwards.

I second this, and have noticed it myself. In the short time I've been going to the gym, I am enjoying it and look forward to it most mornings. But there have been some mornings I wasn't in the form to go. But I got up and put my gym clothes on anyway. Once they were on, it put me in the mood and I would end up going and be so glad afterwards that I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

A good preworkout like Craze will get you absolutely dying to hit the gym

I'm currently cutting as I don't follow the typical bro calender aka get ripped for ibiza in June lol

Eating 400 cals below maintenance, taking the bulk of the carbs in just before training, using 5iu of growth hormone and 200mg test just to keep the muscle I have as it's all to easy to lose it during a cut.

Current stats, 178mc tall, 98kg , 11% bf. Aiming to hit 8%

Advertisement