Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ketogenic forum

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,109 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

/\/ollog wrote: »
    We use an app called nutracheck it's free for a week but after that you get 5 entries a day, which you can abuse to make a meal with all the items in them and you can edit them as much as you like if you only add 4 meals (you need the 1 space free to make the changes-done automatically).
    It's a British app so it has everything in aldi, Lidl, tesco, and takeaways. Even has some Dunnes stuff.

I calculate my macros with https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

20g carbs is a good starting point, you can adjust it up and down for yourself, some people can be in ketosis even at 30g. I used to be able to do 25 but I've been adapted so long I don't go over 21.

I put all my stats into that macro link you posted and the current allowances carb manager is allowing me and the results are impressive if I stick to it.
    I'll check out that other app, I paid the 8.99 for the month on the carb manager one to access all the recipes which I find handy as there seems to be nothing to buy in the shops to snack on bar some meat or nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,109 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it bad to go over your protein for the day was going to have a steak for lunch but will blow my protein allowance... disappointed I can't have onions with it so opting for some blue cheese, spinnach and mushrooms...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Is it bad to go over your protein for the day was going to have a steak for lunch but will blow my protein allowance... disappointed I can't have onions with it so opting for some blue cheese, spinnach and mushrooms...

So long as you don't go crazy, more is better than not enough.

https://perfectketo.com/how-too-much-protein-is-bad-for-ketosis/#too-much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Finding it has a lot of the foods from lidl, stats wise 5'11 and way too close to 17st dad belly has got out of control. It's not the weight has made me decide to try it out, I was getting exhausted way too easily, I reckon my liver is way to fatty, had a scan a few mts back and doc warned me to sort it out or face the consequences.

I don't know am I doing the keto thing right for what I'm trying to achieve, food seems way to fatty, not complaining if that's correct.

This is how my stats ended up for the day...am I right in thinking it's just about finding the right balance with, fiber, fat, protein and cut out carbs..seems too easy..

Screenshot-20200304-222005.jpg

Same height and was a little heavier. IF Is what really sorted it for me. Ate twice a day and that was lunch and dinner. Finished at 6 or 7 in the evening and didn’t eat until 1 next day. 73 kg now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Can someone point me in the direction of a reliable blood ketone meter that is ship to Ireland friendly.

Have been looking at the Keto Mojo but can't seem to find a reliable source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

So I have decided to go down this route. Currently weigh 90kgs and looking to get down to 70kgs. It'll be hard because I'm not the greatest fan of drinking water and I'm not a fan of eating veggies. I've always compensated with fruit but obviously can't do that now. This makes sides with my dinner quite difficult. Also I work Night Shift so it goes Breakfast- Dinner- Lunch

So far today I've had

Breakfast : 3 egg Ommlette, 4 rashers and 1 sausage.

Dinner. 3 Peri Peri Pork chops with a side of Mayonaise. Bottle of VitHit.

Lunch. Chicken and Chorizo, Bowl of Blackberries with heavy whipping Cream. Can of Coke Zero. Bottle of VitHit to get me through the night.

Any advice or does this seem ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

So I have decided to go down this route. Currently weigh 90kgs and looking to get down to 70kgs. It'll be hard because I'm not the greatest fan of drinking water and I'm not a fan of eating veggies. I've always compensated with fruit but obviously can't do that now. This makes sides with my dinner quite difficult. Also I work Night Shift so it goes Breakfast- Dinner- Lunch

So far today I've had

Breakfast : 3 egg Ommlette, 4 rashers and 1 sausage.

Dinner. 3 Peri Peri Pork chops with a side of Mayonaise. Bottle of VitHit.

Lunch. Chicken and Chorizo, Bowl of Blackberries with heavy whipping Cream. Can of Coke Zero. Bottle of VitHit to get me through the night.

Any advice or does this seem ok?

For me that’s not great.

Not enough nutrients, add healthy fats, cheese, avocado nuts.

Add asparagus, rocket, broccoli some Brussel sprouts, couple of cherry tomatoes etc

You’ll need a laxative if you keep going like that :)

TbL

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I'd be a little worried about constipation. Normally eat copious amounts of Brown bread to give me enough fibre and was actually thinking I'd have to grab some laxitives in the near future.

I'm a believer that food is to be enjoyed and not to be grimaced through. The only food recommended there I'd possibly eat is Rocket if mixed with mayo. I know fish is a good nutrient and I'd generally eat plenty of salmon (albeit with brown bread) so I'll mixed that up when eating my meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Learn to love the avocado haha

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For me that’s not great.

Not enough nutrients, add healthy fats, cheese, avocado nuts.

Add asparagus, rocket, broccoli some Brussel sprouts, couple of cherry tomatoes etc

You’ll need a laxative if you keep going like that :)

TbL

I agree with avocado. And green veg.
    I personally love cheese, but it probably has the same fats as cream. So Dairy is covered.
    Nuts aren't great on a diet were the goal is weight loss.
    They also have a not insignificant carb content.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree with avocado. And green veg.
    I personally love cheese, but it probably has the same fats as cream. So Dairy is covered.
    Nuts aren't great on a diet were the goal is weight loss.
    They also have a not insignificant carb content.

Nuts can absolutely form part of a low carb diet. I was on less than 30g carbs per day and always tried to eat some nuts. 100g of many types of nuts equates to circa 6g of carbs and they are tasty nutritious and filling

TbL

Nuts can absolutely form part of a low carb diet. I was on less than 30g carbs per day and always tried to eat some nuts. 100g of many types of nuts equates to circa 6g of carbs and they are tasty nutritious and filling

TbL
    Sugar cubes can form part of a low carb diet.
    I said it wasn't a good idea, I didn't say it wasn't possible.

Nuts are highly calorific. The occasional snack is no big deal. But structuring a diet so are eating handfuls of nuts every day is an easy way to blow a deficit.

Mellor wrote: »
    Sugar cubes can form part of a low carb diet.
    I said it wasn't a good idea, I didn't say it wasn't possible.

Nuts are highly calorific. The occasional snack is no big deal. But structuring a diet so are eating handfuls of nuts every day is an easy way to blow a deficit.

If you’re structuring your diet properly a handful of nuts a days is fine.

Sugar cubes, good one...

TbL

If you’re structuring your diet properly a handful of nuts a days is fine.

Sugar cubes, good one...

TbL
    If you structure your diet for it, you have 600 of cals of anything really.

You seem to be conflating being able to do something with it being optimal or beneficial.
    If you want to leave room for nuts daily go for it. But it's not necessary, and it's can use up calories quickly.

so 10 days in now, am down 7lbs. Need to tighten it up a little however. Replaced Sausages with Salmon for breakfast and I'm also constantly thirsty. Going to get a Infuser so I can start drinking more water

Birthday on Monday so the plan is to stay off the gargle and then instead of having a chow mein (my fav), get a tray of chicken kebab meat and load some mayo on top

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

Hi been on keto for six or seven weeks . Was planning to losing a stone before Xmas . Was at 13 Stone . Down to around 12 stone 3 . Was wondering about net carbs .I was reading that it's subtracting fibre from carbs but doubt it's that simple .I was eating a PhD Smart plant bar which was horrible. Only ate half . It said carbs were 6g per bar and sugar 2 grams . Fibre was 15 grams. How do u calculate net carbs per bars . Don't think I'll be eating them too often but trying to educate myself . Cheers

On American labels fiber (note the spelling) is included with carb counts. So you need to subtract it to get the actual (net) carbs. In most other parts of the world labels already subtract the fibre.

That bar has 6 net carbs. If it were an American label it would say 21g Carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

started Keto nine days ago , finding it every easy for the simple reason when i eat eggs for breakfast , it kills my appetite for the rest of the day for the most part , using sweetner on black coffee as cant drink coffee without sugar , tea is fine without sugar , not sure if thats cheating ?

used to eat porridge for breakfast and for the last few months its actually caused stomach pains , was also eating too much bread , not sure how long I need to stay on Keto , wasnt especially overweight to begin with but definately never going back to the amount of carbs i was taking in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

I am on keto but may now move on to the Carnivore diet for one month to see how it goes so no veg, good quality meats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Planning on going back to keto Tuesday. I've been depending too much on bread lately and you should hear the noises in my stomach. Two meals a day, first sometime between 12 and 2 depending on how my work day is going. Spending the weekend food planning, shopping and prepping. Not really keen on meat though so a lot of egg dishes and forcing myself to eat some meat dishes

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Order from keto mojo direct, great service. And if you register with them before ordering they may well send you a 20% discount.

Advertisement